As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stretching your dollar and skipping your meals

PolagoPolago Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Social Entropy++
For the past while i've been stretching my money as far as it can possibly go. Over that time the food has been single dish "meals" a day whether it be a can of beans, a mac and cheese, or a can of fish with water. However, this isn't even half the hardship many of you deal with frequently as people around here have gone homeless, lived off ramen for months, and been forced to make very tough decisions in the name of "getting by".

What have you had to do in your life to adapt, and why did it come to that? Olive Garden is applicable.

Polago on

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Beans are so good.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm subsisting off $1 meals of Rice-A-Roni and Pasta Roni.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I had these sweet barbecue beans once.

They were terrible.

I was like, "Why would you do this? Why would you do this to beans?"

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    fuck me i am privileged

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    don't you remember what happened last time someone made this thread

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to Thailand in December for 6 weeks, and I'll be living a very basic life for a while. I fully expect to eat mostly rice and noodles.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I adapt strangely well. With everything, really. But it's most noticeable with diet. Last fall I went a lot of days without eating. Went another week on a half jar of peanuts and water.

My biggest tip is to move very efficiently. I mean that wholeheartedly, from one broke brotha to anotha

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pork and molasses.

That's the way to go.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    anyway i generally spend at least $30 a night to make dinner, and buy lunch from some expensive take-away place in an upper-class food court

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    you ever been cornholed by a cop so he won't bust you for hooking so you can afford to feed your baby?

the wook on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never really had to live hard. I guess when we first moved to Australia it was pretty shit, living in a dingy, dank flat with a fridge that stank like dead cat.

But things went uphill from there I guess.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    I adapt strangely well. With everything, really. But it's most noticeable with diet. Last fall I went a lot of days without eating. Went another week on a half jar of peanuts and water.

My biggest tip is to move very efficiently. I mean that wholeheartedly, from one broke brotha to anotha

This is very familiar.

The "move efficiently" comment is so true though.

Polago on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I eat one bowl of rice a day.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to go grocery shopping this weekend. On my list? More rice, pasta, and probably some salad stuff too.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh god damn you, wook. You just reminded me that I got a ticket on my bike today. $94 fucking dollars. fuck you, you fucking cocksucker

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    a can of fish with water?

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    surely if that's what you were hankering it'd make more sense just to jump in the ocean and eat it there

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    yeah, i'm the asshole who's never lived a hard day in his life. i have debt because i'm kinda terrible with money, but i manage to knock it down a couple hundred each month without cramping my lifestyle too much. If I was terribly strict with my money I could probably end each month with $800 left from that paycheck. If I had the motivation to live a frugal life I could be debt-free by christmas.

but i'm an asshole so i don't

the wook on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh god damn you, wook. You just reminded me that I got a ticket on my bike today. $94 fucking dollars. fuck you, you fucking cocksucker

what did you do to get a $94 ticket on a bike? were you running over homeless people?

the wook on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never really had to sacrifice much.

Life has been pretty good to me, concerning the comforts of home.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I've never really had to sacrifice much.

Life has been pretty good to me, concerning the comforts of home.

h5

let's go spend gratuitous amounts of money on wanton luxury

the wook on
  • Options
    IsaIsa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    two words

brown rice

Isa on
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Beans have fed me many a night, I thank supermarkets for stocking such a nutrient poor and cheap food item allowing me to live my wretched poor life another day.

edit: also brown rice, I hate it so but eh it's food

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the wook wrote: »

what did you do to get a $94 ticket on a bike? were you running over homeless people?

for riding with my headphones on. I didn't know this was illegal while riding a bike. I was listening to a This American Life about PTSD, so I didn't rage at all. Just kinda said fuck it. If I don't find someone to borrow the money from, I might just let my license get suspended for a little while.

But seriously, fuck that. I have to ride a god damned bike miles to get downtown to look for a place for a job. You know how I put up with the Florida heat, the dick drivers, and the poorness I'm trying to get through? by letting some nice sounds in my ear while I ride to muffle out the shitty cars being too loud and burning too much gas

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't have to eat much when you don't move much. Unfortunately I have to walk everyday to the nearby trainstation to get to my classes. Which isn't efficient.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Polago wrote: »

This is very familiar.

The "move efficiently" comment is so true though.

Where do you live? I might be able to ask a guy if they know of any friendly potlucks/charities like Food Not Bombs

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    beans on toast, scrambled egg on toast, cheese on toast

if you have a toaster, you'll be all right, just ditch that can of fish and water carry on, or put the fish on some toast

then you've got a meal

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the wook wrote: »

for riding with my headphones on. I didn't know this was illegal while riding a bike. I was listening to a This American Life about PTSD, so I didn't rage at all. Just kinda said fuck it. If I don't find someone to borrow the money from, I might just let my license get suspended for a little while.

But seriously, fuck that. I have to ride a god damned bike miles to get downtown to look for a place for a job. You know how I put up with the Florida heat, the dick drivers, and the poorness I'm trying to get through? by letting some nice sounds in my ear while I ride to muffle out the shitty cars being too loud and burning too much gas

wow i didn't know that was illegal either. and they're gonna suspend your license if you don't pay it? that's fucked up.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man.

Californication has like four sets of titties in it every episode.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    beans on toast, scrambled egg on toast, cheese on toast

if you have a toaster, you'll be all right, just ditch that can of fish and water carry on, or put the fish on some toast

then you've got a meal

don't toast stuff. could burn off nutrients and extra scraps of food.

seriously, ever bit counts. My sister does clinic work for her doctorate with eating disorder girls. Those girls do a lot of little shit to burn off every single calorie. My sister has to watch for all this different stuff. I pretty much do the opposite of what she says they do.

Don't do the rabbit's foot twitch when you sit down, for one.
    Don't chew gum. It curbs your appetite, which could help, but it burns a lot of calories so it isn't worth it

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh god I bounce my leg fucking constantly when I sit

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well what is he gonna put the fish on some bread? that's even more depressing than what he's already doing

FAQ on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    geeze Polago, the vancouver housing prices hitting you that hard?

if you start getting scurvy i'll by you some oranges or something

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    what's wrong with a tuna sandwich

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »

me too.

you just reminded me that I was trying to stop doing it last year but completely forgot, guess I'll start again

FAQ on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i've always had food to eat

but, not necessarily every day of the week

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    what's wrong with a tuna sandwich

I'm too tired to think my posts through this morning, I'm just going for it

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh, mackeral's another good fish. cheap, easy to cook (just add lemon), nice on a sandwich with parsley. you can afford a pot for parsley.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I work in a kitchen so I don't often find myself without food to eat.

I actually get bored of food, because there is only so much you can do with our limited menu and eating the same stuff over and over again just gets annoying.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »

same

it annoys others

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png