As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stretching your dollar and skipping your meals

• Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was a kid my dad worked per-contract for the Yakama Indian Nation, and for about six months he was on this one case, which meant we weren't getting any income for six months.

These were the winter months, which meant it was cold and savings went to the gas bill, not to food.

Every meal we had was supplemented with rice from a big burlap sack and canned fruits and vegetables my mother had made over the summer. I didn't realize at the time, but we were literally surviving off of those canned items. Without them we'd have had no source of Vitamin C, which means "Yarr, Scurvy!"

One day I found Weevils in the rice, so my mom poured it out onto a baking sheet, baked it to the kill the Weevils, and then poured the rice into a big bowl of water, causing all the dead weevils to float to the top.

We continued to eat that rice, now weevil free courtesy of my mother.

And then eventually the case went through and my dad got paid and hooray, we can eat meat again.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My mother fed us on a busdriver's salary by utilizing the magic of coupons and frozen meat.

Shorty on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    My mother fed us on a busdriver's salary by utilizing the magic of coupons and frozen meat.

yesssss coupons.

Though I can't always agree with the meat thing. I'm not vegetarian or anything, but hang out a lot with a couple that is vegan and they do pretty great meals for rather cheap.

but seriously, regardless of what you like, look for coupons in store. Pick up local papers and publications along with the big local paper to look for coupons in all of them

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh, and about the not burning metabolism thing

Sleeping more is a good way, but can be unhealthy if done wrong. Try to do some meditating. It will keep your pulse low and has helped me in all sorts of ways.

If for some reason you're opposed to that, do simple things for entertainment instead of stuff that burns electricity. Read a book outside in the sun.

Oh, and as long as you've got shelter, try keeping light usage to a minimum. If you go to sleep just a couple hours after the sun sets and wake up when it rises, you'll have light fo' free! Of course the lower light use will lower your utilities bill, but it will also keep the house cooler, meaning you don't get too hot and sweat weight off

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My childhood was fairly awesome, guys.

All going through periods of decent income and bad income.

Eatin' weevils and getting apples for lunch from september-october because we lived on an orchard.

Drinking hot tang after school in the winter.

We made ends meet. My family went to private school. We made the necessary sacrifices.

If y'all read the childhood story thread, the story about the bicycle? I didn't report that incident to my parents because doctors were expensive.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I skipped one meal today and I fell asleep for twelve hours because of it.

Also I live on vegetables and rice.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd never skimp on food. It's a priority (after rent and bills); everything else comes second.

Living with Mori is going to be awkward

Janson on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    a couple years ago i was so broke for two months that i could only afford to eat two packages of ramen a day

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    We live of potato peelings from our neighbours' trash so we can spend all our money on lottery tickets and get rich.

See, some of us have a plan.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you're living off Ramen you need to invest in eggs and some Hunan Red Chili Sauce, you can find that in your asian section of your grocery store.

Then you make your ramen with some chili sauce and an egg. Ka-blam, you have protein and flavor. Dump the yolks if you're afraid of cholesterol.

Also, in all seriousness, a big burlap sack of rice is a good investment if you're broke.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If needs be, I can survive off 5 cents worth of food a day, have damn near endless energy, and be better fed then most people.

How?

A vacuum thermos and hard winter wheat. You let it soak and sprout, then grind it up and cook it, drink the soak water as a tonic int he morning, eat the porridge at noon, and you are fucking well fed and hells of energetic all day.

5 fucking cents a day.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    prove it

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rice is twice as expensive this year compared to last year.

Still worth getting though.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh fucking sweet road warrior is on. but it's almost over

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Stale, that sounds terrifying, but I plan to put it to good use when our economy crashes and I am forced to turn our family property in Eastern WA into a military complex like the Waziri fortresses of Northeastern Afganistan.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    Threadbare SockThreadbare Sock regular
    edited September 2008
    i bet the soak water is filled with cyanide

Threadbare Sock on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    FOOT SWEATERS
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    I'd never skimp on food. It's a priority (after rent and bills); everything else comes second.

Living with Mori is going to be awkward

I'm starting to be like this now I'm living away from my parents. Eating is important and a large part of your life, so it's a good idea to actually enjoy what you cook.

We were feeling quite poor last month with buying the house and everything so we stocked up on Asda smartprice mince (disgusting), asda thin-cut sausages (tasteless) and used diced turkey thigh instead of chicken breast horrendous). Now this week we'll be going out and buying some quality lean mince, some tasty sausages and proper chicken breast for Mexican night.

I don't mind scrimping on electricity / central heating, but man I will spend the money on food.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    prove it

Oct-Nov 1999

I did exactly that. Was dirt fucking poor, flat broke, couldn't afford my bills and food, so I wanted to keep my credit good more then I wanted to eat.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i wish raiding homesteads was still a viable method of feeding oneself

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Killjoy wrote: »
    I skipped one meal today and I fell asleep for twelve hours because of it.

This is made even stranger by the fact that I remember every dream I had while asleep.

Killjoy on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Stale, that sounds terrifying, but I plan to put it to good use when our economy crashes and I am forced to turn our family property in Eastern WA into a military complex like the Waziri fortresses of Northeastern Afganistan.

wouldn't it just be way easier to hunt and kill the wild hipsters for meat in the ruins of seattle a scant hour away

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    prove it

Oct-Nov 1999

I did exactly that. Was dirt fucking poor, flat broke, couldn't afford my bills and food, so I wanted to keep my credit good more then I wanted to eat.

oh

nice

hey speaking of credit i just found out recently that what i thought was a $250 medical bill is actually a $2250 medical bill from december

if this is the only thing on my credit how fucked am i?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If needs be, I can survive off 5 cents worth of food a day, have damn near endless energy, and be better fed then most people.

How?

A vacuum thermos and hard winter wheat. You let it soak and sprout, then grind it up and cook it, drink the soak water as a tonic int he morning, eat the porridge at noon, and you are fucking well fed and hells of energetic all day.

5 fucking cents a day.

That actually sounds really cool. I'm going to have to try that out. how do you cook the wheat?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    prove it

Oct-Nov 1999

oh

nice

hey speaking of credit i just found out recently that what i thought was a $250 medical bill is actually a $2250 medical bill from december

if this is the only thing on my credit how fucked am i?

that's not that bad at all.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh thank god

my parents have had fucked credit their whole lives or at least up until recently and i rrrreally wanted to avoid falling into that

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

once you get a system setup it's actually pretty easy, you alternate soaking kernels and sprouting ones. sprouts get poured out and strained, you drink the water, grind the kernels and sprouts, dump them in the thermos and pour in enough hot water to turn it into porridge in 5 hours.

take the jar that was soaking refill with kernels and water let it soak another 48 hours.

I had 3 jars going at a time, took about 10 mins a day, and for two months I spent exactly 4 dollars on food and I only lost maybe 3 or 4 pounds.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh thank god

my parents have had fucked credit their whole lives or at least up until recently and i rrrreally wanted to avoid falling into that

dude bad credit is when you're like my friends and have over ten thousand dollars in non-student loan debt before you're 25.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Futore wrote: »

How?

5 fucking cents a day.

That actually sounds really cool. I'm going to have to try that out. how do you cook the wheat?

Kurt has a slightly different approach but the method is the same.

cheap food

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's a tip, work at a restaraunt.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    being poor sucks, but it build some goddamn character that's for damn sure.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tonkka wrote: »

that really is the best way to do it.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Tonkka wrote: »

Getting hired is so hard where I live. Gainesville, FL is a town centered completely around University of Florida. The surrounding 50 miles is pretty much just farms and farm town. There are so many kids looking for jobs, and of course the focus is restaurant jobs

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only problem with having so much instant pasta and rice is that milk is generally required.

I am currently out of milk.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    god mad max is such a badass

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i wish raiding homesteads was still a viable method of feeding oneself

Seriously.

When I lived in Dumfries hopping over the border and rustling some cattle from the farms around Carlisle was economically viable. Now I live in Edinburgh the trek just isn't worth it, you know?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dumping yolks because you're afraid of cholesterol is the worst reason to dump yolks :(

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yolk is the best bit

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    seriously though, does everyone agree that there's nothing quite like being fucking dirt poor, living in a shitty rental house on free lunch wearing handmedowns, eating fucking mac and cheese or pancakes every night of the week, buying even those meager dietary supplements with foodstamps...

that makes a kid resilient.

or dead. resilient or dead, those are the two settings.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The only problem with having so much instant pasta and rice is that milk is generally required.

I am currently out of milk.

What?

Do you...do you cook your rice and pasta in Milk?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Been There.

Now I have a decent job, make a good living, and have the ability to eat whatever the fuck I want, whenever the fuck I want.

except, you know, not now.... because they took all my teeth out.

But I could.

If I had the teeth.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg