As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

1235724

Posts

  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    I'm having a blast healing PQs as a shaman, and slinging some spells on the side. The only problem is that people so far suck at tanking, meaning I more often than not end up tanking myself by spamming heals while everyone else attacks the mobs that are on me.

    Echo on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm having a blast healing PQs as a shaman, and slinging some spells on the side. The only problem is that people so far suck at tanking, meaning I more often than not end up tanking myself by spamming heals while everyone else attacks the mobs that are on me.

    The main issue here is that PvE tanking doesn't really work at all until 6 (when all tanks get Taunt), and PvP tanking doesn't work until 10 (guard and Hold the Line). That and healers seem to generate stupid amounts of aggro in this game.

    Ledneh on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm having a blast healing PQs as a shaman, and slinging some spells on the side. The only problem is that people so far suck at tanking, meaning I more often than not end up tanking myself by spamming heals while everyone else attacks the mobs that are on me.

    The main issue here is that PvE tanking doesn't really work at all until 6 (when all tanks get Taunt), and PvP tanking doesn't work until 10 (guard and Hold the Line). That and healers seem to generate stupid amounts of aggro in this game.

    Well they do get a 15s detaunt...

    Zek on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had a lot of fun tonight on my Shaman. At the second stage of this PQ in the Marshes of Madness where you have to take on a Dwarf Hero boss, there were only four Shaman to do it, so we just healed the one taking the heat while DoT him and hitting him with our channeled spell. It was quite fun playing ping-pong with him, though there were some tense moments here and there.

    mynameisguido on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm having a blast healing PQs as a shaman, and slinging some spells on the side. The only problem is that people so far suck at tanking, meaning I more often than not end up tanking myself by spamming heals while everyone else attacks the mobs that are on me.

    The main issue here is that PvE tanking doesn't really work at all until 6 (when all tanks get Taunt), and PvP tanking doesn't work until 10 (guard and Hold the Line). That and healers seem to generate stupid amounts of aggro in this game.

    Wrong. At least for alot of blorcs. The very first attack you get is your high aggro attack. Most blorcs don't use it as far as I can see in PQs. It's pretty confusing to me.

    Taunt just makes things easier since the boss runs around like a ninny trying to hit the ten different orcs trying to tank. Challenge should help even more.

    What tier is the first dungeon? I'd like to go try one of those out this weekend.

    Toothy on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So here's my general plan for healing Nordenwatch as a zealot. (I am level 10-11 at the time of this strategy's use)

    0.5) ALWAYS ALWAYS use the scenario parties tool to have every healthbar in the scenario on your screen.
    1) Immediately put Tzeench's Cordial on everyone who has either taken damage already or looks like they will be soon.
    2) Find the person who is currently taking the most, shield them.
    3) Immediately begin casting Elixir of Dark Blessings. During these 3 seconds, find a new target.
    4) If a new target is found, switch to him immediately and click Elixir of Dark Blessings. If you do this while casting your first, you will automatically switch and begin casting as soon as you are done, a 1-skill-queue sort of system.
    5) If anyone is in dire need, use a shield on them. If it is unavailable, use the morale heal.
    6) If I'm being attacked, my main heal is now Tzeentch's Cordial. I use it on myself, and anyone else who needs healing, and I run straight into the front line of combat with the tanks, so they can see me.
    7) As soon as I am no longer taking damage, I run back and begin this process again.

    I position myself in these scenarios so that I can chain elixirs, by standing as far away as possible while retaining line of sight. Though not always possible, clever positioning will get you very far in this, and the 3 seconds of casting time from elixir is a great time to be searching the field and your HUD for someone who also needs your help.

    Rend on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    0.5) ALWAYS ALWAYS use the scenario parties tool to have every healthbar in the scenario on your screen.

    I feel like such a newb still, could you elaborate on this. Is it a built in UI or a cursemod? I always feel like i am soloing scenarios because I can't get my UI how I want it.

    How is zealot for solo questing, PQs? It seems like it would be pretty slow, but I like the idea of not having to worry about my DoK's blood bank.

    risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    0.5) ALWAYS ALWAYS use the scenario parties tool to have every healthbar in the scenario on your screen.

    I feel like such a newb still, could you elaborate on this. Is it a built in UI or a cursemod? I always feel like i am soloing scenarios because I can't get my UI how I want it.

    How is zealot for solo questing, PQs? It seems like it would be pretty slow, but I like the idea of not having to worry about my DoK's blood bank.

    This is a built-in UI.

    Alright, if you ever played wow, you know you can drag raid parties out onto your UI so you can view them all at the same time? This is the same thing.

    When you join a scenario, you will have a banner button by your minimap called "Scenario Parties". This will open a window in which you can click checkboxes to make tiny party windows appear on your screen. Search for the party you are not a part of (or parties) and check them. They will then appear on your UI. You can drag them around at will, then click the checkbox on the actual HUD on top of all the names and bars, and it will lock it in place.

    This way, you can keep track of all the bars at the same time: If you see one going down, click on it. If it doesn't target, you're out of target range! If it does and your skills are red, you're out of range and/or LOS! It makes it much more easy to target and keep track of health.

    Also: Don't feel like a newb. Legit question :p

    Rend on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    Dear Shadow Warriors,


    Stop attacking me. Seriously. I don't know why you always pick the Shaman to attack but it will only result in me doing a /special over your corpse.

    Unknown User on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    0.5) ALWAYS ALWAYS use the scenario parties tool to have every healthbar in the scenario on your screen.

    I feel like such a newb still, could you elaborate on this. Is it a built in UI or a cursemod? I always feel like i am soloing scenarios because I can't get my UI how I want it.

    How is zealot for solo questing, PQs? It seems like it would be pretty slow, but I like the idea of not having to worry about my DoK's blood bank.

    Oh and just to be clear, I don't pay much attention to solo questing. It is definitely slower than the whacka-healers (DoK and WP) but I play the PvE as a waiting room for my scenarios, so I'm not the best person to ask.

    You will, however, heal in PvE situations ridiculously well, as one might expect.

    Rend on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    my PvEing consists of the following group:

    Black Orc, Marauder (Monstro), Marauder (Monstro), Zealot, Shaman, Magus

    go to a PQ with a large number of things to be killed

    plant standard which has AP regen. Black Orc and either myself or a marauder round up 20-30 mobs

    AOE them down in seconds

    repeat

    Unknown User on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What stats do you guys look for mostly in gear? I have been taking items with willpower/wounds, but I'm thinking of wearing some gear with more toughness on it.

    I got a blue staff that had like 30 toughness on it, when I put it on, it boosted my dps reduction by about 6 dps. I had to lose a lot of willpower for it though.

    Think its a good trade off?

    Willpower / Wounds / Initiative in that order is what I look for.

    Toughness, I find, is less useful to RP's because we don't have any kind of armor buffer to augment the Toughness damage reduction. I would rather have Initiative which helps me to completely avoid attacks.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the Divine Fury Tactic is a Win/Win for Warrior priests.

    It's suppose to raise damage by 25% and lower healing by 20%, but because a lot of our heals are based off the damage we do, it's actually a 5% increase to our damage- based - heals.


    Warrior priests are -awesome-

    Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cool, I never thought to try and drag the groups out of that scenario button before. Good to know.

    risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    Cool, I never thought to try and drag the groups out of that scenario button before. Good to know.

    You, sir, will never go back.

    Ever.

    Rend on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And I can't stress it enough, get ISMoCasts from Curse. It works with the scenario group things, and being able to mouse over cast instead of actually having to switch your friendly target is huge, huge, HUGE. I gained literally 5-10k healing per round from switching to ISMoCasts and saving myself precious target switching time.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    And I can't stress it enough, get ISMoCasts from Curse. It works with the scenario group things, and being able to mouse over cast instead of actually having to switch your friendly target is huge, huge, HUGE. I gained literally 5-10k healing per round from switching to ISMoCasts and saving myself precious target switching time.

    What does this mod do?

    Rend on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    And I can't stress it enough, get ISMoCasts from Curse. It works with the scenario group things, and being able to mouse over cast instead of actually having to switch your friendly target is huge, huge, HUGE. I gained literally 5-10k healing per round from switching to ISMoCasts and saving myself precious target switching time.

    What does this mod do?

    Takes your current moused over target as your friendly target when you cast a spell. So rather than having to mouse over, click them, then press your spell, you can just mouse over and press your spell. Doesn't sound like it would help much, but it saves enough time that you really start to notice how much more fluidly you heal with it. If you use F1-F6 to target your group, it may not help you as much, but will probably still help with the scenario groups that you can't F target.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    And I can't stress it enough, get ISMoCasts from Curse. It works with the scenario group things, and being able to mouse over cast instead of actually having to switch your friendly target is huge, huge, HUGE. I gained literally 5-10k healing per round from switching to ISMoCasts and saving myself precious target switching time.

    What does this mod do?

    Takes your current moused over target as your friendly target when you cast a spell. So rather than having to mouse over, click them, then press your spell, you can just mouse over and press your spell. Doesn't sound like it would help much, but it saves enough time that you really start to notice how much more fluidly you heal with it. If you use F1-F6 to target your group, it may not help you as much, but will probably still help with the scenario groups that you can't F target.

    The way I heal is that I place the rest of the party windows next to my party window, so for instance if there are 2 parties, then the one I'm _not_ in will be displayed right beside and slightly lower than the standard party UI. Then, at that point, the only time I look away from those bars is to check line of sight and battle conditions. 95% of my targeting is done by clicking people's names on those party bars.

    Though, I do see how this could immensely help even a playstyle like mine. I could throw cordials out like no tomorrow, and I would _never_ accidentally de-target myself or my ward.

    Rend on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's how my UI is laid out, as I play the same way, and ISMoCasts, like I said, gave me an additional 5-10k healing in Scenarios just from not having to actually target people. I can cast heals as fast as I can move my mouse around.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Can't wait for a Grid equivalent for WAR. Healing in WoW was soooo much easier with Grid. Aka "Whack-a-mole healing".

    Echo on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's on my list of things to look in to, if the original Grid authors don't move over. I already have two other healing mods on my plate for this weekend. If I get those both knocked out, I'll look in to doing at least a basic implementation of the Grid concept.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't wait for a Grid equivalent for WAR. Healing in WoW was soooo much easier with Grid. Aka "Whack-a-mole healing".

    Not sure it's possible to do something like that, since Addons can't cast spells. The best thing you could do is make a Grid that lets you auto-target on Mouseover, sorta a hybrid of what we already have now.

    KiTA on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't wait for a Grid equivalent for WAR. Healing in WoW was soooo much easier with Grid. Aka "Whack-a-mole healing".

    Not sure it's possible to do something like that, since Addons can't cast spells. The best thing you could do is make a Grid that lets you auto-target on Mouseover, sorta a hybrid of what we already have now.

    ...that's what Grid does. It's a raid frame.

    Echo on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't wait for a Grid equivalent for WAR. Healing in WoW was soooo much easier with Grid. Aka "Whack-a-mole healing".

    Not sure it's possible to do something like that, since Addons can't cast spells. The best thing you could do is make a Grid that lets you auto-target on Mouseover, sorta a hybrid of what we already have now.

    ...that's what Grid does. It's a raid frame.

    I thought Grid was "click on someone's name and it auto casts a HP size appropriate heal?"

    KiTA on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User
    edited September 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Can't wait for a Grid equivalent for WAR. Healing in WoW was soooo much easier with Grid. Aka "Whack-a-mole healing".

    Not sure it's possible to do something like that, since Addons can't cast spells. The best thing you could do is make a Grid that lets you auto-target on Mouseover, sorta a hybrid of what we already have now.

    ...that's what Grid does. It's a raid frame.

    I thought Grid was "click on someone's name and it auto casts a HP size appropriate heal?"

    No, that was something else. HealBot, maybe?

    JohnDoe on
  • Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's looks like there's someone working on something like Grid. There's a "HealGrid" up on Curse, first release though, and I usually stay away from mods until about six months in.

    Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dear Destruction healers,

    Please! Continue to exist so that I may have purpose in life. You keep me alive and well, and I understand that when I circle around the zerg of Order players that I'm on my way to asssassinate healers. Thanks!



    Dear Order healers,

    Please! Continue to exist so that I may have purpose in life. You coat my twin blades in your delicious, crimson blood. And no, I won't keep silencing you, nor will I allow you to heal at more than 55% effectiveness. Thanks!

    Caedere on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Aumni wrote: »
    So the Divine Fury Tactic is a Win/Win for Warrior priests.

    It's suppose to raise damage by 25% and lower healing by 20%, but because a lot of our heals are based off the damage we do, it's actually a 5% increase to our damage- based - heals.


    Warrior priests are -awesome-
    You are wrong. It's a 25% healing increase.

    Divine Fury doesn't weaken lifestealing skills.

    EDIT: I want to bitch about early healing skills. Being a healer at the very low levels is horrible because you are stuck with a good HoT and a shitty heal that costs too much. So, a healer early on will get bitched at by morons. Said morons will die all around the healer as he or she futility tries to keep people up with Flash of Chaos.

    That is why launch has fewer healers than OB. People got to level 5 and said "fuck this".

    Sterica on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Healing does indeed seem to generate a fuckton of threat. :|

    Echo on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Healing does indeed seem to generate a fuckton of threat. :|

    There's a tactic you can pick up that reduces the threat from your healing by 50%. Also, Guard from a tank should reduce it by 35%.

    zenpotato on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    I just killed a shadow warrior with nothign but my two DoTs while being beat on by a shitty warrior priest and a bright wizard

    Unknown User on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So apparently detaunting is awesome in RVR.

    KiTA on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    So apparently detaunting is awesome in RVR.
    That's crazy talk.

    Sterica on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    From now on I'm always keeping a batch of armor pots that more than double my armor for those shitty PQs where I end up tanking everything.

    Echo on
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    berram000hl0.jpgFuck yeah. Considering I jumped into the match when the score was at 180/100 something, I'm actually pretty proud of that.

    Panda4You on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay this is weird... http://war.curse.com/downloads/details/13648/

    "This mod constantly keeps your friendly target set to the person with the lowest health that is in RANGE and LOS of a defined spell. This way a healer can spam one of their heals and be assured that it will do something useful."

    That seems like cheating!

    riz on
  • Gerbil2309Gerbil2309 Registered User
    edited September 2008
    For whoever was after Grid, try this: http://war.curse.com/downloads/details/13730/. I'm using it atm with Hovercast (essentially the same as Ismocast) and it is awesome. The Squared Unitframes as they are called isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better then the default ones.

    Gerbil2309 on
  • NevaNeva Registered User
    edited September 2008
    nevaf005xv8.jpg

    I don't wanna leave the Tier 1 pvp! Hope zealots are still bad ass in the upper levels.

    Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

    "Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You definitely need to do more damage.

    Definitely.

    Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
Sign In or Register to comment.