As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo DS and WEP...wtf

colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
I have a wireless network set up that uses a more advanced security setting than what Nintendo deemed compatible with the DS. It's a pretty common Belkin wireless router, and the roommates don't want to lower the security settings. Is there a way to get my router (or any router) to run in both security modes? I've tried enabling guest access, but it's still WPA. Isn't this one of the bigger complaints about the DS being online? How unsafe would I be running on WEP vs. WPA?

3DS: 1049-1266-2726
colawars on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    you could probably just connect a second router to a physical port on the first router, and run the second router with DS-compatible security settings. Most routers technically don't support doing the above, but most will do it anyway.

edit: oh, don't run both routers on the same wireless frequency.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That pretty much defeats the purpose of WPA right there. Honestly anyone that could crack the WEP could probably crack the WPA. It's mostly to keep neighbors off your connection if you live in an apartment building. If you live in a house it's very doubtful that your neighbors could even pick up your signal unless you had a booster.

If you're really paranoid about it (or rather your roommates), pick up a small USB wireless access point which will just use Windows ICS to get you online. The range on them is so short that somebody would have to break into your house to use it, at which point I think the argument becomes moot.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for the replies, guys. That's my second issue...I'm looking to use a second wireless router as a bridge so i can get a worthwhile signal in my backyard. Can I use that router with WEP after it repeats the signal? Will that router act as a repeater after configuration by just being plugged into a power source and nothing else?

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    generally the second router will auto-acquire an ip from the first one and then do it's own routing duties, if you're connecting the up-link of the second router to one of the down-links of the primary. You can pick up some fairly affordable wireless routers and change the firmware to run them as wireless bridges, but I don't know if that would let you run two security modes and a physical link from the first router to a second one is definitely the easiest way.

zane's point about security is fair, perhaps you should lock the second router to the DS's MAC address as well as using WEP, and just unplug the cable to the second router when you're not using the DS. It's unlikely someone will go through the trouble of spoofing a MAC address and stealing a key just for intermittent access and you'll know someone's trying to do it if it happens as you'll get a conflict.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That pretty much defeats the purpose of WPA right there. Honestly anyone that could crack the WEP could probably crack the WPA.
    No no no! WEP is VASTLY less secure than WPA thanks to various severe design flaws. WEP can be cracked in literally seconds and WPA can't really be cracked at all except for simple brute force attacks (which anything is going to be susceptible to if you use crap passwords).

MAC address filtering is also a near-worthless "security" technique. Anyone who wants on your network can easily monitor your wireless traffic, see the MAC address, and then configure their network adapter to spoof that address. It's really only going to be useful for situations where someone is unfamiliar with such matters (which is admittedly most people) or in a situation where there's a wide open network nearby to tempt the intruder away.

If I were you I'd just get one of those USB dongles Nintendo offers that allow DS' (and Wiis?) to get online for people who don't already have a wireless network set up. That way it's easy to enable/disabled (just plug in the dongle when needed) and ought to be a bit easier to get set up than a full blown router. I can't say for sure about that, though, as I've never used one.

If you're set on getting another router, if you want to do things right you really need two more (so three total). One router connects directly to the Internet. Another router (presumably your current one) maintains secure settings (WPA and whatever else you guys've set). The third router will be just for the DS and will use WEP. Feel free to use MAC address filtering if you want just realize it won't stop anyone if they really want on there. Both of these last two routers connect to the first, forming a Y shape. This will keep your "trusted" systems (what's on the WPA router) segregated enough from the WEP router that anyone who does happen to find their way on there won't be able to do anything dangerous to your computers. This is probably the best solution, but it's more work and is more expensive. You'd probably be happier with the Nintendo USB dongle, really. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MAC address filtering is also a near-worthless "security" technique.

I'm pretty sure it's not in the situation I described. Spoof = conflict, no spoof = no conflict = no intruder.

Also, I think that what Zane meant is that someone who cracked the WEP would have effectively bypassed the WPA security.

The Nintendo USB wi-fi dongle is discontinued. Routers can be had new for 10$.

I vote for my plan, which will henceforth be called...

PLAN DELTA HAWK GOLD

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I suppose I have no choice but to also vote for PLAN DELTA HAWK GOLD. It's effectively what the Nintendo dongle would've been doing, anyway.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just turn off the stationID broadcasting in addition to WEP.

I considered doing MAC address filtering as well but that got too fucking complicated.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Turning off SSID broadcasting is also not that great a security measure. Anyone can sniff Wi-fi traffic and pick out even "hidden" SSIDs.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    RBach wrote: »
    Turning off SSID broadcasting is also not that great a security measure. Anyone can sniff Wi-fi traffic and pick out even "hidden" SSIDs.

But I live in a extremely Rural area. There's only about two houses in range of the Wi-Fi signal anyway.

And my neighbors are essentially country bumpkins.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    Also, I think that what Zane meant is that someone who cracked the WEP would have effectively bypassed the WPA security.

Yeah that's what I was hitting at, pretty much. Having two routers, one with WEP and one with WPA is sort of pointless, because then you only have to break the WEP to be on the network, completely defeating the purpose of the WPA.

You could always set up a different subnetwork with the WEP router that wasn't bridged to the other network. Any devices on one network wouldn't see any of the other devices on the other network. This would probably take a little more time than you're willing to invest.

Also, if you find a Nintendo USB dongle, keep in mind that homebrew can't connect to it, but one of those cheapo USB access points will work for both homebrew and official carts.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you decide a WEP router with MAC filtering and hidden SSID is too low security (which is true if you regularly have readers of "WIFI Hacking Monthly Magazine" outside your door), you could setup a software access point (with MAC filtering and WEP) and only turn it on when you want to use the DS.

http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Ralink_Soft_AP has all the information I needed to do that. You will need a WIFI card with a specific Ralink RT2500 chip, but they are very common.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008

But I live in a extremely Rural area. There's only about two houses in range of the Wi-Fi signal anyway.

Paranoia has never served me wrong! :D

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Paranoia has never served me wrong! :D

I figure if I have a neighbor that wants to go through the trouble of finding my SSID AND crack the WEP, be my guest and use my wireless.

I doubt anyone would go through the hassle.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In your environment probably not. I'm used to apartments with lots of potential attackers. Also as I said I'm paranoid. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]