As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stretching your dollar and skipping your meals

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Air wrote: »
    buy a thing of instant gravy powder
    buy rice

food for a month

then you die

and really who needs food then

Skull Man on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2008
    my friend will eat anything

she'll eat beans with gravy as an evening meal

bongi on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Air wrote: »
    when i was in new zealand for holiday we passed through this university town where apparently the whole place is pretty much built around the university i guess?
    which sounds like a pretty cool place if its just a town full of students and shit
    still had decent shops and stuff and walking down the main street there were guys who lived above the stores hanging out on their balcony/store overhang thing, like basically out on the street but just a bit higher than everyone else just drinking and talkin shit

also i think that place has the steepest road in the southern hemisphere
    guy driving didnt change gears quick enough so it took a couple tries to get up it
    was it on the South Island? It's probably Dunedin

Thank god, people know dunedin exists!

i thought i was trapped here forever, seperated from the rest of the world

dunedin suuuucks

Fletcher on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ldraw wrote: »
    I'd think it'd strain more than just your wallet. They must be rather small meals.

No, they're about 800 calories each.

I'm bulking.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah and speaking of poor poor student, fried rice is a godsend. Everything in it tastes good!

FRIED RICE POOR STUDENT STYLE: SERVES MANY:

- rice (so much you will explode)
    - bacon/ham/sausage/chicken/whatever you have, diced or sliced.
    - eggs
    - every vegetable you can find, chopped up into slices.
    - oyster sauce (a couple of tablespoons)
    - fish sauce (half a teaspoon)
    - soy sauce (lots. if all you can taste is salt, you've added too much)
    - fivespice(1 and 1/2 tsp)
    - cooking oil (as much as you can stomach)
    - maybe some cracked pepper too

+ Start cooking the rice
    + Cook the meat until it is so so good (in a little cooking oil)
    + Cook yo'self an omelette (in oil)
    + Stir-fry all the vegetables together until they smell delicious but are not soggy (in oil)
    + Add the sauces and fivespice to the vegetables, then throw in the meat and (chopped up) omelette. Stir-fry it all for 1 min
    + Adding in the rice a cup at a time, stir everything together until it is looking and smelling delicious
    + Stuff your face with it

Fletcher on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My girlfriend and I were in New York City st the end of our summer travels with accommodation and airport travel paid off, but only $20 between us to spend on food. We went to a supermarket and got some burger buns (on offer), some Vienna sausage in a tin and a few bags of $1 chips. We checked our emails and flight details by going into the Apple Store near Central Park and pretending to check out the MacBooks.

Every term at uni, I get my parents to buy me supplies before I go. These supplies will inevitably include:
    Big bag o' rice
    Big bag o' pasta
    Garlic and tomato purée
    Stock
    Marmite
    Tinned vegetables and beans
    A salami or three
    Peanut butter
    Noodle packets and a few ready meals for when I can't be arsed to cook.

I don't have a freezer at uni, so I'm stuck with buying stuff that can be refrigerated - and even then I can't buy too much as I only have one shelf. My main groceries are eggs, onions, liver and hot sauce. My staple meals are omelettes, pasta with liver and tomatoes, and egg-fried rice.

Every time my bulk-buy onions are starting to get a bit soft, I splash out on a pat of butter, fry them reeeeeaaaally gently and make onion soup with fusilli pasta.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It really is amazing what you can do with free packets of sauces from local fast food places.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've probably spent 20 dollars on food this month. I wont need to buy anything for at least another week.

Its pretty advantageous living with anarchists actually. Between food banks, dumpster diving, two roomies working at a bakery and Food not Bombs the house fridge is packed with food all the time. We've got like 6 litres of juice right now, its awesome.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    Guys, I have a shitload of chicken legs. What should i make with them?

Risotto and get those microwave instant veg things as they kick ass.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ogcam777 wrote: »
    It really is amazing what you can do with free packets of sauces from local fast food places.

This is a very important money saver for people who like taste to their rice : b

I think I'm probably still banned from a few places in HAckney because of stealign dozens of those little sauce satchets.

Junpei on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    also my advice regarding chicken is save some money and put a little more effort into cooking by getting chicken on the bone

not only is it cheaper than deboned chicken, but cooking chicken on the bone results in better tasting chicken

so many people today seem to have forgotten this simple fact, but boneless, skinless chicken is pretty fucking bland compared to chicken cooked on the bone

hell, leave the skin on during cooking too
    you can always remove it afterward but the chicken will be moister and more tender as well as more flavorful

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    chicken thighs are a wonderful poor person investment

freeze wonderful

taste great

and more meat per pound then almost anything else

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Chicken thighs or hindquarters are the most meat-for-a-buck you're going to get outside of organ meats. Beef liver's a little more per pound, but it works out about even after you bone-out the thighs. Chicken livers are about the same before boning, and chicken gizzards, chicken hearts, and "interesting" meats can be even cheaper, depending on where you're at.

You have to know how to prepare organ meats, though. You can't just throw them in a pan until they look edible.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so i work a minimum wage job 23 miles from my house. i work 6 hours shifts tops. I just completely fucked up my work scheduel because I'm a douchebag who can't read a calender and now I might lose my job. I've got enough gas to make it to work tomorrow, or school on monday. I havn't decided which

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Bodacious BBodacious B __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    so i work a minimum wage job 23 miles from my house. i work 6 hours shifts tops. I just completely fucked up my work scheduel because I'm a douchebag who can't read a calender and now I might lose my job. I've got enough gas to make it to work tomorrow, or school on monday. I havn't decided which

Go to school it is more important to get an education than to make sure you keep a crappy dime a dozen jon.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    yeah, but if i go to work tomorrow, and skip 2 days of classes, I'll have a paycheck at the end of the week to buy gas to go to work and school the next week. it's pretty tricky.

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Can you afford to miss the classes though?

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i might pay for it later, but as it is yeah.

• Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can you bum ten bucks off of somebody for gas for school? A coworker maybe?

If you still have any shame in you, you haven't been poor yet.

Can you get to school by bus? How far is it? If it's under five miles you shouldn't have any trouble walking. If it's more like ten or fifteen you could do it on a bike if you can get or borrow one. It'll take longer, but it's doable.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    i might pay for it later, but as it is yeah.
    But the classes and work you miss at school can all be made up? Money is important seeing as you need gas to continue school, so I would say skip class to make gas money, but you should explain this to your professors, and try to see if they will let you make up the work or something.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I went 5 days without eating because I had NO money

I eventually borrowed 16 bucks from an ex-girlfriend

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You know if you have no foods or money go to a church, they will make you sandwiches or give you food.
    My dad told me this once, he said that when he was like 25 he was living on the street and had no food, so he went to a catholic church, talked to the priest, told him his predicement and the priest made him sandwiches and gave him water and let him sleep in the church for a week.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have been keeping my change for the past year... Counted + rolled it last night.
    Over $243 :D

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know if you have no foods or money go to a church, they will make you sandwiches or give you food.
    My dad told me this once, he said that when he was like 25 he was living on the street and had no food, so he went to a catholic church, talked to the priest, told him his predicement and the priest made him sandwiches and gave him water and let him sleep in the church for a week.

they even have free little bowls of water to drink from right near the door

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    neville wrote: »
    I have been keeping my change for the past year... Counted + rolled it last night.

I have been saving change for years. I usually spend what I have accumulated in a given year on Christmas. Last X-Mas I had around $800.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

the store bought puttanesca I had for lunch today was good, but not nearly as good as Asteroid Cafe's puttanesca
    mmmm

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't have cash on hand a whole lot, my debit card is pretty much what my wallet is built around

therefore no change

:(

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    simo wrote: »

you stupid hick
    that's where you spit out the wine during the free tastings they have at each service

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    simo wrote: »

you stupid hick
    that's where you spit out the wine during the free tastings they have at each service
    wow that made me spit my whiskey and coke all over my screen, you guys you guys.

Bodacious B on
    falcon01-1.jpg
    pl-1.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

the store bought puttanesca I had for lunch today was good, but not nearly as good as Asteroid Cafe's puttanesca
    mmmm

Asteroid Cafe's puttanesca was really fucking great.
    Good call on that, Dru

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    on the upside I have a piggybank

an actual piggy bank

sweet

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

mmmm

Asteroid Cafe's puttanesca was really fucking great.
    Good call on that, Dru

hey, Geek ordered it
    I was just saying I really love puttanesca and it ended up being a happy coincidence! :D

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    puttanesca is great because it's probably the only food whose name is derived from "whore"

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Guys, I have two scholarships based on academic performance to where I have my tuition, fees, dorm room, and 19 meals a week paid for as long as I keep going 15 hours a semester and get mostly A's.

On the down side, I live in Arkansas, and the school of business is so small that I can take classes the first two/two and a half years and go into any of the business degrees easily.

Is this positive overall y/n?

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    ldrawldraw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Argus wrote: »
    Guys, I have two scholarships based on academic performance to where I have my tuition, fees, dorm room, and 19 meals a week paid for as long as I keep going 15 hours a semester and get mostly A's.

On the down side, I live in Arkansas, and the school of business is so small that I can take classes the first two/two and a half years and go into any of the business degrees easily.

A pretty good deal I think! I'm not sure how important prestige is concerning business school so I don't know how a big a factor the "irrelevance" (for lack of a better term) of your school really might [ever] be.

Still sounds like a good deal.

Edit: and who cares if you're in Arkansas for a while? You're living for free

ldraw on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AKA: mdraw, dux, milkman
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ldraw wrote: »
    Argus wrote: »

A pretty good deal I think! I'm not sure how important prestige is concerning business school so I don't know how a big a factor the "irrelevance" (for lack of a better term) of your school really might [ever] be.

Still sounds like a good deal.

Edit: and who cares if you're in Arkansas for a while? You're living for free

yea id live in fucking brownsville texas if it was free

tugga on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    if you can find a hare krishna temple you should be able to get good free/cheap food

ive been to one where i think they prepare food like every night, and anyone can go and its decent curry and stuff

actually this vegetarian group at uni gets food supplied from the same place iirc, and sells it cheap on campus and theres always heaps of people sitting around eating it
    usually rice, some curry, poppadoms and some dessert thing

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Its not a constant supply of food exactly, but (at my uni at least) a few clubs and discussion groups provide things like slices of pizza, sandwiches etc. for people who attend their meetings.

I'm not advocating just going in, grabbing food and leaving, but if the availability of food is a genuine concern then you could do much worse than to head along to a couple of genuinely interesting discussion groups a week, and enjoy a little free food while making friends.

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    also in most urban centers there are enough hookers that you should be able kill a few without thinning the herd too much and a single hooker should last you at least a couple of months

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    also in most urban centers there are enough hookers that you should be able kill a few without thinning the herd too much and a single hooker should last you at least a couple of months

remember to use the bones for Home-Made Hooker Stock.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg