As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] - Ranged DPS: You can run, you'll just die tired.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mazrim wrote: »
    In tier2 scenarios my Bright Wizard consistently tops damage by significant amounts, with my record being 126k (next highest was something like 40k)

I'm worried people will see it and decide Bright Wizards need a nerf. What they don't realise is that a lot of that damage comes from self-backlash and timing Detonates to hit the maximum amount of enemies (aoe DoT and my favourite spell)

I frickin' love Bright Wizards though. My favourite class of any RPG ever. Oh and I just got my healing debuff (playing with fire) - time to make Destruction cry even more.

Well, you've beaten my T2 record (85k, though I did get 28 deathblows with 0 deaths and I was R18).

However, you're probably overestimating combustion damage, unless you know you were at max combustion the entire time. I think it's generally around 13% for me, though I was closer to 17% in T4 testing (but I was also intentionally staying at higher combustion at that time).

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58436 will show you how much explosion damage you're really taking.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So over at the warhammer alliance forums, people are bitching up a storm about shadow Warriors. I just made one to give it a try, are they that bad off? Looking over the skills, Skirmish gets a spammable AOE tactic that can be used while moving and a spammable healing debuff. A couple of tactics; expert skirmisher and charge forth look very strong combined with this line.

The assault mastery looks weak, but it I don't know whats really expected for a RDPS class in melee.

The Scout mastery looks like strong fire support. Acid arrow and Leading Shots look nice. Festering arrow hits pretty hard even if its a 3 second cast timer. I don't think spamming it will win any 1v1 fights, but it should be good in groups.

Its all probably fine. its too early to talk balance and forums like those are full of idiots.

ed: should be warrior not hunter.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do you mean Shadow Warriors or Squig Herders? Because there is no Shadow Hunter class, and the SH designation is for Squig Herders.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    So over at the warhammer alliance forums, people are bitching up a storm about shadow Warriors. I just made one to give it a try, are they that bad off? Looking over the skills, Skirmish gets a spammable AOE tactic that can be used while moving and a spammable healing debuff. A couple of tactics; expert skirmisher and charge forth look very strong combined with this line.

The assault mastery looks weak, but it I don't know whats really expected for a RDPS class in melee.

The Scout mastery looks like strong fire support. Acid arrow and Leading Shots look nice. Festering arrow hits pretty hard even if its a 3 second cast timer. I don't think spamming it will win any 1v1 fights, but it should be good in groups.

Its all probably fine. its too early to talk balance and forums like those are full of idiots.

ed: should be warrior not hunter.

My class isn't as good as [insert class here] because [insert stupid fucking reason here] and [insert anecdotal RvR fight with 37 of X class being raped by 1 of Y class]. Fix it or my whole guild will cancel!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think alot of Shadow Warrior's base their usefulness off of the Damage they do in scenarios, which from my experience with the class, isn't usually as much as some of the other DPS classes.

But you know what? Damage isn't everything.

Foolish Chaos on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love going assault for a moment when a DoK charges my SW, and as soon as he realizes he needs to switch from caster harassment mode to omg, I'm getting melee'd mode, I jump to skirmish, snare and double dot, and watch them die. I find I am really good at providing enough of a distraction that someone behind me can cap the flag while I hold the attentions of several destro players.

As a SW, if you find yourself in a duel with a sorc/SH/magus, just charge them in melee. Usually they will panic and try to run. This means either you cut them down from behind, or, if they are running towards reinforcements, you stop, switch to Scout, and shoot them to death. It's LOADS of fun, and most healers can't heal through both your dots.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited September 2008
    I think alot of Shadow Warrior's base their usefulness off of the Damage they do in scenarios, which from my experience with the class, isn't usually as much as some of the other DPS classes.

I haven't had much time to play in retail, sadly, but in beta, I was on the top of the damage meter almost every scenario. May have been because I gamed it a bit... people weren't exactly sticking together, so I was sticking DOTs on everyone who wandered my way, and plugging away at a single target when no one else was nearby. Damage ticks upwards at insane levels, then. :P

Shadowfire on
  • CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll definately second the strategy of melee rushing casters. They always start running, much easier to kill them than standing back and getting into a nuking match with them. It doesnt even matter what tree you're going, i'm going Scout and it works just the same.

Cryogen on
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm really enjoying my engineer, but it's pretty annoying in scenarios when you see lone enemy black orcs beating groups of 3+ allies, somehow. Maybe I'll switch servers and make one of those - I really don't know how they do it.

hmmmm the few orcs i saw doing that might have been using this black orc healing exploit i just read about, hopefully that gets fixed soon

fallaxdraco on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I haven't had much time to play in retail, sadly, but in beta, I was on the top of the damage meter almost every scenario. May have been because I gamed it a bit... people weren't exactly sticking together, so I was sticking DOTs on everyone who wandered my way, and plugging away at a single target when no one else was nearby. Damage ticks upwards at insane levels, then. :P

Yeah, I have noticed that if you really want to, you can run around mashing tab and using Draw Blood as well as Broadhead Arrow everyonce in awhile to get pretty high on the damage boards, but by that point your just being silly.

Foolish Chaos on
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a question about the backlash/combustion mechanic. When a spell backfires, will that spell still hit its intended target and damage the caster? Or does the backfire override the spell that was cast, and only damage the caster?

wusoldjr on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Your spell still goes off.

Oats on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Engineer casting times for grenades: do these get interrupted by getting hit? I can't quite tell with the animation delays.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Engineer casting times for grenades: do these get interrupted by getting hit? I can't quite tell with the animation delays.

They do get delayed, but the animation is not.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

if you time it right, everyone witches and disciples of kaine won't set you back though.

Maticore on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Maticore wrote: »

if you time it right, everyone witches and disciples of kaine won't set you back though.

what?

Drakmathus on
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    Maticore wrote: »

what?

Go grammar go.

What I meant to say was, if you time your grenade throws right, most enemies using a single 1.x speed or 2-3.x speed weapon won't hit you before the grenade goes off.

This is important for firebomb spamming path of the grenadier engis.

Maticore on
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I've finally settled on the build for my Magus.

When I hit forty, I'm going to have 15 Changing and 10 Havoc. This will give me all of the delicious DOTs from Changing, as well as Perils of the Warp (causes damage to any using magic) and Bolt of Change which is a high damage undefendable attack.

As far as tactics go, I'm thinking to use Changer's Blessing (15% increased crit chance for all changing spells), Warped Flesh (25% chance to absorb 205 dmg), Infernal Pain (turns surge of insanity into a DOT) and Endless Pandemonium (50% for Endless Pandemonium to reapply itself). Most of the dots are 65ft range, with some even being 100ft range, all with 1s casts or less. Three of the spells are even instant casts.

I'm excited to be peppering bitches with mad DOTs once I level up, and finishing them off with some long range big damage attacks.

fsmith1 on
  • XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You, uh, do know that you have to spend a point to buy abilities, right? So if you go 15/10, you won't get single ability/tactic from any mastery line.

Xzean on
    9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Xzean wrote: »
    You, uh, do know that you have to spend a point to buy abilities, right? So if you go 15/10, you won't get single ability/tactic from any mastery line.

I didn't, I guess it'll be 9 havoc and 11 changing, with Bolt of Change, Infernal Pain, Seed of Chaos, Endless Pandemonium and Wild Changing.

fsmith1 on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since I still haven't gotten my CE in the mail yet, rendering my headstart pretty much useless since all of the official launch day players will have caught up to me by now, I no longer feel any compulsion to stick with my level 10 marauder. So I think I'm going to switch to squig herder.

Once my box arrives that is...

Dissociater on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, I rolled up an engie and brought him up to level 5 so far.

Got 1st place in that first dwarf PQ at the Greenskin outpost... coming in halfway through the first third. I really can't tell how long the range on the sentry is, though. Seems quite a bit shorter than the 100ft gun attack.

Still... firebombs. :twisted:

MrMonroe on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My level 3 Shadow Warrior routinely does more damage than my level 11 Chosen.
    Khaine-2.jpg

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Nick SoapdishNick Soapdish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dwarf engi here - question -- we're supposed to get mastery points every level starting at 11, right? I hit 12 and didn't get a new point.

Also, we can't dual wield melee weapons, right? I don't want to... but making sure we can't.

Nick Soapdish on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's every second level up to 20, then it's every level

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Note to other ranged DPS players: use your distracting abilities/detaunts in RvR. It's amazing how well they work to minimize damage while you create some distance.

Doc on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I learned that at T1, people are really, really intimidated by squig armor even though I only get one ability and a small stat boost. I've routed order players with it because they just run away when I get close :lol: .

BlueDestiny on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Khaine-2.jpg

In RvR scenarios you are boosted up levels to make it fair, you gain the stats and your skills change to reflect it, you just don't gain the extra skills or items etc. So you were effectively fighting at rank 8 there.

Squig herders squigs though, I don't think they get boosted, they sit at the level you were when you came in :( Pets are a bit of a broken mechanic in the game right now, especially for squig herders. Most of our pets are in our mastery lines, and thus don't level with you. The same is true for all skills of course, but since squigs have both a level, and a damage rating, it means you effectively get a squig half your level trying to hit a mob your level for very low damage, as opposed to an unspecialized normal skill which would be a you at your level, trying to hit a mob for low damage. The first situation makes for a useless skill, the second makes for a skill which just doesn't do as much damage as the specialized version.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited September 2008

Even with the skill balancing bringing you up to level 8, that other SWs performance at level 10 is just deplorable. Was he AFK for part of the match or something?

MrMonroe on
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Khaine-2.jpg

In RvR scenarios you are boosted up levels to make it fair, you gain the stats and your skills change to reflect it, you just don't gain the extra skills or items etc. So you were effectively fighting at rank 8 there.

Squig herders squigs though, I don't think they get boosted, they sit at the level you were when you came in :( Pets are a bit of a broken mechanic in the game right now, especially for squig herders. Most of our pets are in our mastery lines, and thus don't level with you. The same is true for all skills of course, but since squigs have both a level, and a damage rating, it means you effectively get a squig half your level trying to hit a mob your level for very low damage, as opposed to an unspecialized normal skill which would be a you at your level, trying to hit a mob for low damage. The first situation makes for a useless skill, the second makes for a skill which just doesn't do as much damage as the specialized version.

This must also be the same in the other direction. If a level 11 squig herder joins a T1 scenario, they willo be ranked down to 8, but there squig will still stay at 11.

ghost_master2000 on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Squig Hunters are freakin' cool, what else need be said ? Who else's De-Taunt makes them crap in their pants ? Big Shootin' all the way, baby. After three Mastery Points your Plink becomes durn near Instant.

The biggest problem is broken pathing between you and your target in PVE. I've noticed that when a PVE mob charges you and your Squig picks it up while you try to run out to firing distance, the mob will remain "stuck" to you and inside your minimum range. Until I try to hit it with a weapon, when the mob wakes up and teleports back to where it should be. Not even the AOE Snare helps. I'm hoping that Mythic fixes this sharpish.

Fairchild on
    edited September 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Squig Hunters are freakin' cool, what else need be said ? Who else's De-Taunt makes them crap in their pants ? Big Shootin' all the way, baby. After three Mastery Points your Plink becomes durn near Instant.

The biggest problem is broken pathing between you and your target in PVE. I've noticed that when a PVE mob charges you and your Squig picks it up while you try to run out to firing distance, the mob will remain "stuck" to you and inside your minimum range. Until I try to hit it with a weapon, when the mob wakes up and teleports back to where it should be. Not even the AOE Snare helps. I'm hoping that Mythic fixes this sharpish.

This kind of shit is way more annoying when you're playing a White Lion.

Target is Out of Range

Me: What the shit are you talking about HE'S RIGHT THERE

MrMonroe on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Khaine-2.jpg

This must also be the same in the other direction. If a level 11 squig herder joins a T1 scenario, they willo be ranked down to 8, but there squig will still stay at 11.

Perhaps, but it still doesn't fix the mastery squigs, who are stuck at low real level and low damage level since you can't put points into them all. We have Gas Squigs, Spined Squigs, and Horned Squigs set up like this, and you can only get one of them up to your level. It really removes a lot of options for the squig herder.

I also reckon that "You're bleedin!" needs to be looked at. Considering plink is the same as your global cooldown the debuff from you're bleedin! really needs to cause more damage than a single one over it's duration.

Currently it's only use is to spam it into everyone in the front lines in a fight. WHich is of course kinda hard considering how dodgy tab targetting is right now.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MalickMalick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have reached 20 with my SW and I do have a few gripes with the class overall.

Solo PvE - We suck.

My typical fight in PvE goes like this: (In Assault Stance for the armor buff)

A) Pull with Armor Debuff Arrow
    B) Fire off Eagle Eye once (sometimes twice)
    C) Melee DoT
    D) Spam the Level 1 Melee skill until I run out of AP or the mob dies.

If I get 2 mobs or a wanderer I will either die or be at 10% health by the end.

My gripe is that we only have 2 melee skills usable in a fight and 80% of a fight is done in melee range.

I have tried Snaring and then using the Spiral Arrows, but while doable it takes a TON of room to kite without aggroing anything else in the area.

I think to solve this we need a single target ranged root ability. Since other classes have them I wouldn't see it as OP and tanks could break it anyway.

Malick on
    Welkin7.jpg
    PSN = malickai XBL = gdragonstar Pokemon SS = 3095 7347 2659 Pokemon White = 5028 4446 2386
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Khaine-2.jpg

You don't downrank for scenarios, only up.

captaink on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    Khaine-2.jpg

You don't downrank for scenarios, only up.

Could be that all the time I spent playing Shadow Warrior during the beta just really paid off...

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    massive quote tree pruned...

Could be that all the time I spent playing Shadow Warrior during the beta just really paid off...

Theres a lot of players that just seem to be rubbish, as well. Although to play devils advocate, perhaps he was defending a cap point away from the action? Also he did die an extra time, which may have cost him more damage. But yeah, he should have done more damage.

Of more concern was the scenario had SEVEN shadow warriors. That's ridiculous, and is indicative of a problem i've noticed with Order on my server - theres far too many DPS classes around. I've decided to do something about it and have shelved my SW and am now running an Archmage. (you had lots of those in your scenario too... on my server healers are like some ancient myth people tell their children once existed)

For those still playing : Visited my brother and saw his SW while he was just at the top end of tier 2. He'd specced the Skirmishing tree, and had the tactic which makes Spiral Fletched Arrow an AoE (split arrows, possible at level 17). It was very, very effective. The damage he was doing to the pack of enemies in the Mourkain's scenario was hilarious. It was also ridiculously good in a keep siege. I'd strongly recommend any SW's to consider speccing Skirmishing, at least in the earlier levels, as its very strong compared to the other two trees early on. At level 14 where my guy is now parked, i have 2 points in scout, but i'll respec into skirmishing now. You also get the excellent Shadow Sting at 22.

Cryogen on
    edited September 2008
    Cryogen wrote: »
    massive quote tree pruned...

Theres a lot of players that just seem to be rubbish, as well. Although to play devils advocate, perhaps he was defending a cap point away from the action? Also he did die an extra time, which may have cost him more damage. But yeah, he should have done more damage.

Of more concern was the scenario had SEVEN shadow warriors. That's ridiculous, and is indicative of a problem i've noticed with Order on my server - theres far too many DPS classes around. I've decided to do something about it and have shelved my SW and am now running an Archmage. (you had lots of those in your scenario too... on my server healers are like some ancient myth people tell their children once existed)

For those still playing : Visited my brother and saw his SW while he was just at the top end of tier 2. He'd specced the Skirmishing tree, and had the tactic which makes Spiral Fletched Arrow an AoE (split arrows, possible at level 17). It was very, very effective. The damage he was doing to the pack of enemies in the Mourkain's scenario was hilarious. It was also ridiculously good in a keep siege. I'd strongly recommend any SW's to consider speccing Skirmishing, at least in the earlier levels, as its very strong compared to the other two trees early on. At level 14 where my guy is now parked, i have 2 points in scout, but i'll respec into skirmishing now. You also get the excellent Shadow Sting at 22.

On my server, I see a ton of DPS and tanks on both sides. Very little healing as well.

Also, I'm glad to hear Split Arrows is as awesome as it sounds. Affirms my desire to go Skirmish quite well. :)

Shadowfire on
  • xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Compared to SH the SW is pretty fucking op. I can't believe people are complaining about them. I played one during the closed beta and they can pull off some pretty crazy damage. Maybe not Bright Wizard crazy, but still pretty crazy.

For example, the SH gets a similar ability combo setup to the SW's Fletched Arrow + Split Arrow. These are in the Quick Shootin line, Run n Shoot + Splintering Arrers.

Now take a look at this. the SW's Fletched Arrow costs 25AP to use and does 125dmg. The SH's Run n Shoot costs 40AP and only does 75dmg. What the fuck? Both combos do the same thing, both have the same range, both acquired at the same levels, and both can be casted while moving. In my opinion they should swap the AP costs of these two abilities so that SH's is 25 and the SW's is 40.

There are a lot of other extremely similar abilities between the SH and SW and the SH gets the shaft on all of them either in damage, AP cost, or both.

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
    edited September 2008
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    Compared to SH the SW is pretty fucking op. I can't believe people are complaining about them. I played one during the closed beta and they can pull off some pretty crazy damage. Maybe not Bright Wizard crazy, but still pretty crazy.

For example, the SH gets a similar ability combo setup to the SW's Fletched Arrow + Split Arrow. These are in the Quick Shootin line, Run n Shoot + Splintering Arrers.

Now take a look at this. the SW's Fletched Arrow costs 25AP to use and does 125dmg. The SH's Run n Shoot costs 40AP and only does 75dmg. What the fuck? Both combos do the same thing, both have the same range, both acquired at the same levels, and both can be casted while moving. In my opinion they should swap the AP costs of these two abilities so that SH's is 25 and the SW's is 40.

There are a lot of other extremely similar abilities between the SH and SW and the SH gets the shaft on all of them either in damage, AP cost, or both.

My wife is playing a White Lion, and absolutely demolishes everything in her path. I cannot keep up with her on damage at all. She can also fight 4+ enemies at once. Part of that is because of her pet's damage output.

What I'm saying is that your AoE may cost more, and do less damage, but maybe that's because of your advantage with the pet?

Shadowfire on