As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do you become an enforcer?

tennislilytennislily Registered User new member
edited December 2008 in PAX Archive
I was wondering how you become an enforcer do you have to know the right people or could you send in a application to someone and if so who?

If you know please post it would be great to get a chance to be an enforcer for PAX 09

tennislily on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    There's usually an application that gets posted, but they didn't post it up last year because they already had enough people.

We'll see if they need more next year. Or maybe you can be one for East Coast PAX 2010.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If more Enforcers are needed and the powers that be do the same as previous years, then an announcement will be made in these forums around springtime with a link to the application.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I feel not only a few more enforcers are needed but an enforcer training program as all the ones who were obviously vets were great and very helpful but the newer ones were for lack of a better word, sucking it hard when it came to answering questions like "is this the line for X?"

MaoChan on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know if they need any more. I saw a hell of a lot there. But I agree, some additional training might be a good idea.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You also have to look good in a utilikilt

Sakebomb on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You have to be bitten by one of them.

That is not as easy as you may think. Enforcers know that their bite will 'turn' you and they are currently
    under orders from their Princess to not create anymore of their kind. Due to their unnatural craving for
    bacon, enforcers can be tricked into biting someone who longs to join their ranks. If a finger or limb is
    sufficiently camouflaged to look, smell and taste like bacon... they may attack.

Unlike vampires, enforcers love garlic and while it is possible to kill them with a stake through the heart, it
    is less messy (yet more cruel) to make them watch a film directed by Uwe Boll.

Like werewolves, enforcers go through a change, but this change is not a result of exposure to the full moon.
    Their transformation occurs when they don their black robes which bear the mark of their hallowed order.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lol!

<3 mentok =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh crap. He knows.

b0wser on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Referals work best from a current enforcer so If you know one, hit them up for that.

Also BJs work well too to get those referals :wink: jk :P

As said before if theres a Need for Enforcers, the callout will go out there around in the spring around when PAX stuff goes Live.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited September 2008
    (VT proceeds to give BigRed a BJ...

...'s Warehouse Club Card ;) )

VThornheart on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    lol!

<3 mentok =)

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • netcrusher88netcrusher88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pretty much what Red said. It's like that stupid phrase the masons used to put on seafair parade floats, 2b1ask1

netcrusher88 on
    My Visa card got stolen the other day. Now it's everywhere I want to be.
  • collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really do admire what the enforcers do. I think it's awesome. But I wouldn't want to miss that much of PAX. It's only once a year, and I hate to miss a second of it.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As Mentok alluded to but forgot to mention, the problem is that there was a boatload of bacon salt handed out at PAX this year...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    collinc wrote: »
    I really do admire what the enforcers do. I think it's awesome. But I wouldn't want to miss that much of PAX. It's only once a year, and I hate to miss a second of it.

that's how i've felt the last few years, but at this point, i feel i've done it enough that i can afford to spare 6 hours of each day to give back to pax, so i'd really love to do it.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sakebomb wrote: »
    You also have to look good in a utilikilt

Done and done
    2805546365_bac7caac70.jpg

CuZZa on
    edited September 2008
    CuZZa is made of win! =)

VThornheart on
    edited September 2008
    Don't think of Enforcing as taking time out of PAX. Think of it as seeing a different side of PAX. and getting a cool shirt. and working with a lot of hot men in kilts. ^_^

Liger on
  • laserdoglaserdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I quizzed an enforcer and asked Ms Red herself about it and here was what I took from it:

for 2009, you'll need a referral from a current enforcer and you should probably live in or around the Seattle area since they do other stuff other than PAX.

In 2010, that might get loosened up.

Again, she was very nice and answered my questions. But what I took away from it was "don't get yer hopes up".

And, like previous posters, she also said that the announcement would go up if they need more (presumably on the PA main page).

Again, this is not at all the official word, just my interpretation. =)

laserdog on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Speaking of 2010, I wonder how many veteran enforcers are going to be making the trek to Boston.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2008
    Please come to Boston guys! =) I'll give you the tour of the city! Plus we'll go to the Ben & Jerry's factory and pig out on ice cream if you come early! ;)

VThornheart on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Please come to Boston guys! =) I'll give you the tour of the city! Plus we'll go to the Ben & Jerry's factory and pig out on ice cream if you come early! ;)

oh, i'll definitely be there! i've already got my plans to meet up with the reverse ccst which hasn't even been announced yet!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited September 2008
    Woot! =)

Though I'm not sure if the reverse CCST is going to happen. It's going to be a dangerous car ride to Boston at that time of year across the country. =( I hear people are making plans for joint plane rides and such though, but nothing firm yet.

VThornheart on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Woot! =)

Though I'm not sure if the reverse CCST is going to happen. It's going to be a dangerous car ride to Boston at that time of year across the country. =( I hear people are making plans for joint plane rides and such though, but nothing firm yet.

Yeah, suffice to say that if MoeFwacky thinks it's suicide, makes one quite a bit hesitant about doing that trip. Plane seems to be the way to go.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I know in the past it's been 18+ for enforcers, but I turn 18 like a month after PAX 09. Who do I have to blow for that little month to be forgotten??? I surely know enough enforcers... :D

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
    edited September 2008
    Sorry, 18+ only

BigRed on
  • Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grr. East and West 2010 then.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • nightrunnernightrunner Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    Don't think of Enforcing as taking time out of PAX. Think of it as seeing a different side of PAX. and getting a cool shirt.
    QFT. I love working PAX and even though I miss a lot of it, the parts I get to see and be involved with more than make up for it. I can't imagine going to PAX as an attendee.

Liger wrote: »
    and working with a lot of hot men in kilts. ^_^
    Sing it, sister. DAMN we're hot.

nightrunner on
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So as an enforcer, do you get free entry to PAX? So you get much free time or is it work, work, work?

Also, why is the reverse CCST a no go? Suicide? Is that the traffic or what?

MR.T on
    edited October 2008
    Its a no go because late winter/early spring + mountain passes = bad juju

BigRed on
  • GSpeezyGSpeezy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    So as an enforcer, do you get free entry to PAX? So you get much free time or is it work, work, work?

Depends on who you are, really. Some Enforcers work one shift each day and spend the rest of their time as attendees. Some of us (like myself, Liger, and BigRed, for example) work non-stop from Thursday morning until Monday evening. And when I say non-stop...I mean non-stop. 18+ hour shifts are not uncommon for the truly devoted Enforcers.

GSpeezy on
    All rights reversed; prosecutors will be violated.
  • MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ah, I forgot it would be early spring. Driving in winter over passes = no fun. :(

So... cross country snowmobile trip anyone? :winky:

MR.T on
  • GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Speaking of 2010, I wonder how many veteran enforcers are going to be making the trek to Boston.

I'd say 30-40% of the veterans will head out to PAXEC. Maybe more the 1st year. Once things get up and running strong though I would imagine that we will have a west and east contingant.

Googalash on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GSpeezy wrote: »
    MR.T wrote: »

Depends on who you are, really. Some Enforcers work one shift each day and spend the rest of their time as attendees. Some of us work non-stop from Thursday morning until Monday evening. And when I say non-stop...I mean non-stop. 18+ hour shifts are not uncommon for the truly devoted Enforcers.

That's basically it in a nutshell. The first year I worked, I was one of the former. Just showed up for my shift and then did my own thing. This year, I was the latter. I did not stop working from the time I arrived at the convention center on Thursday till we finished tear down on Monday.

These so-called "Black Shifts" are not required by any means, so the folks that do decide to go all out, do so of their own volition. I know that I personally can't see myself doing future PAXs any other way.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Black Shifts are just fine, as long as you've got proper recovery time lined up in the week following PAX. I would also recommend a /great/ pair of shoes, since such shifts are the surefire best way to kill your feet and legs. I thrive on this pain, so I enjoyed my weekend greatly.

b0wser on
    edited October 2008
    does anyone ever get fired mid-pax? if so, what are the repercussions, like do you have to buy a pass for the rest of pax?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited October 2008
    If by 'Fired' you mean "no longer allowed to volunteer" (we're not paid staff after all, technically can't fire a volunteer), then I really have no idea. I don't think that has ever happened before. Enforcers go through a tight application process to weed out the potential douche bags that might pull something stupid enough to warrant the banhammer mid-convention.

Liger on
  • CorakCorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I for one am kinda happy that enforcers are being, well, recycled. As others have noted, there was definitely a difference between the old guys and the newbies. Not that I don't love you all! But there really were times where it was "Is this the line?" And they simply had no clue. Comes with experience, I expect...

Corak on
    I live!
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    I would also recommend a /great/ pair of shoes, since such shifts are the surefire best way to kill your feet and legs.

Kinda like Macca found out this year huh? Then again, he's a crazy Aussie, he'd just keep working if his legs were broken.

CuZZa on
    edited October 2008
    His shoes were brand new. He broke them in before PAX, but the problem was a complete lack of ankle support.

My recommendation: Converse Chuck Taylors. the hi-tops. the more colorful, the better. ;)

Liger on
This discussion has been closed.