As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Suggest On!]Buy a 360?

BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Long story short, the ridiculous shortage of Wiis here (Nevada) is starting to get to me, so I'm thinking of picking up a 360 on eBay or something to tide me over. I'm also eager to not repeat my mistake last gen of dedicating my time to only one console. So, can you guys give me some more incentive to pick one up? Besides Gears, of course :wink: .

BlueDestiny on

• Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oblivion + Couch + Television + Surround sound = Heaven

Really, I own both and the 360 is dominating my gaming time and is really monopolizing my gaming dollars. The Wii is great, but I'm slowly savoring Zelda, and aside from that the rest of the games are only good in small doses.

Meanwhile Dead Rising is a breath of fresh air, FEAR is great, Gears of War is some of the best action around and is challenging, although it makes me cuss up a storm and elevates my blood pressure, Test Drive Unlimited, Saint's Row, Rainbow Six Vegas, Viva Pinata ... what are you waiting for?

Gaming-Module on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you got the cash to get a 360 now and still have Wii money later then yeah go for it.

Between things like Gears of War, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Saints Row, Crackdown, Live Arcade and all that stuff there is plenty of reason to get a 360 now. I mean it is hard to find a Wii now but it wont be later. So if you got the cash hells yeah buy at amazing speeds!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    The 360 has a ridiculously good stable of games right now, and some of the less represented genres are getting major shots in the arm this year with three major JRPG releases, Forza Motorsport 2(which is poised to take the sim racing crown if some of the rumors regarding PS3 rumble/FF are true), and Bioware's Mass Effect... which is looking to be absolutely amazingly awesome.

Yeah, it's a great time to own a 360.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just be mindful of rumors flying around about a summer-ish price drop/additional hardware features...they are no more than rumors, though.

Darlan on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Dead Rising, Condemned, Lost Planet, Saints Row and Prey are all good. Halo 3 is coming out later this year, and possibly Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed as well. Blazing Angels is apparently mediocre if you're a fan of the genre, but as somebody who hasn't played many dogfighting games before, I have a fucking blast with it. King Kong can be gotten for about $15 now. Viva Pinata is apparently excellent, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Edit: Forgot Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon will be out this year as well.
    Seriously... now is a great time to get a 360. Unless you're absolutely insane for Zelda (and don't have a GC), the Wii can wait until it's in plentiful supply.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MicroCenter had a bunch of great deals on the 360, but now the only thing that's left is if you sign up for their credit card and use it (as soon as you're approved you can just show them the paper with your account number) to buy anything that's 400 dollars or more, they'll uh... give you a bunch of points that can be redeemed for 100 dollars...

Anyway, that's one of the deals I did. The other one is over now, though.

And... playing the 360 makes me feel great to get back into online gaming.

TM2 Rampage on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alot of good games are being dished out for the 360, and have been for about 3 months now. Phantasy Star Universe and Enchanted Arms are pretty decent RPGs for the 360, Dead Rising, Saints Row, and Ghost Recon {I hear has really good online modes}. Also alot of fun demos and multilayer co-op games, as well as a bunch of good games coming the next few months.

I know this these may be lynching words around these parts, but the Wii isn't too as great as some on the forum make it out to be {as is with most systems at launch. I wouldn't of even touched the 360 until about 4 months ago. Zelda is pretty much the only Nintendo exclusive worth the purchase of a new system, and you can get that on the Gamecube anyways}, so I would recommend getting the 360 while the Wii builds up a bigger library and devs take full advantage of the system.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    Just be mindful of rumors fling around about a summer-ish price drop/additional hardware features..they are no more than rumors, though.
    If the XBox 360 isn't $100 cheaper by this time next year I'll eat at Arby's.

I would buy an Xbox 360 now only if you don't have a decent gaming PC. 2007 is going to be an insane year for PC gaming.

FreddyD on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Darlan wrote:
    Just be mindful of rumors fling around about a summer-ish price drop/additional hardware features..they are no more than rumors, though.
    If the XBox 360 isn't $100 cheaper by this time next year I'll eat at Arby's.

I would buy an Xbox 360 now only if you don't have a decent gaming PC. 2007 is going to be an insane year for PC gaming.

Yeah, what Freddy said. If you aren't much of a PC gamer though, or don't want to dish out $1100 so bucks for this years gaming, 360 all zee way.

... and I like Arby's. Although I don't think humans can actually keep it down.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the quick replies. As a matter of fact, I actually have a pretty good gaming PC, but it's kind of at a loss of things to play at the moment. Later this year will be kick-awesome of course, but I'm looking to get back into consoles a bit and "expand my gaming horizons" so to speak. I think I'll get a 360 if my Kmart fails me, as it so often has :cry: . Those were good points about the Wii, and I understand the rather weak lineup at the moment, but I do have Zelda right here. It can wait though, I guess. I have another question too: I heard the old Xbox's wifi adapter worked with the 360. Is this true? I really don't want to spend 100 bucks to play online...

BlueDestiny on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yes, the old one works. Any wireless bridge with an ethernet out jack works.

Also I love my 360. I love it more than my PS2, GC, and Xbox combined.
    I want a Wii rather badly but there aren't enough games right now to make it worth purchasing, for me, let alone running all over town each day trying to find.

Accualt on
  • StevenQ12StevenQ12 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Long story short, the ridiculous shortage of Wiis here (Nevada) is starting to get to me, so I'm thinking of picking up a 360 on eBay or something to tide me over.

If you are going to use eBay why not buy a wii on eBay?

StevenQ12 on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    StevenQ12 wrote:
    Long story short, the ridiculous shortage of Wiis here (Nevada) is starting to get to me, so I'm thinking of picking up a 360 on eBay or something to tide me over.

If you are going to use eBay why not buy a wii on eBay?
    It's more expensive. Plus he'd be giving extra money to a greedy dick who is partially the reason why he couldn't buy one in a store.

TM2 Rampage on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The 360 has an excellent game library, and it only seems to get better as time goes on. XBLA has been pretty slow with releases trickling in only every few weeks, but some great-looking titles are coming out this year (Castlevania, Castle Crashers).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Did anyone mention Rainbow Six Vegas yet?

Cause, Rainbow Six Vegas.

Wezoin on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're any sort of action game fan, I highly recommend a 360 for Live Arcade alone. For a mere $35, you could pick up Heavy Weapon, Geometry Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded, and Assault Heroes and that will keep you in action game heaven for a very long time. :)

If you're into RPGs, there isn't much noteworthy at the moment (aside from Oblivion), but this year looks like it'll be excellent and will nicely cover both western and eastern RPG fans. Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata (i.e. Trusty Bell), Mass Effect, and especially Bioshock, all look like they'll be fantastic. Lost Odyssey as well, although I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't get released until next year. Oh and a port of the fantastic Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is supposed to show up in a couple of weeks (hopefully for $10, but I'm expecting $15 myself).

If you're into shooters, then an XBox 360 is obvious. Gears of War, Halo 3, need I say more?

If you're into horror, Dead Rising is a lot of fun (although it's more lighthearted despite the horror setting). Alan Wake looks like it'll be a great Silent Hill-esque game with fantastic graphics. Condemned is supposedly a lot of fun and can be purchased for pretty cheap these days. And of course, Resident Evil 5 is scheduled for the system although I wouldn't expect to see that 'til next year.

Now personally, I think the best system around now is the PS2 simply for the sheer number of quality games you can find for it, but since I assume you and every other gamer in the world already owns one, the XBox 360 makes a mighty fine second console. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I had the money I'd buy a 360 just for Live Arcade.

mntorankusu on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright then, I'm sold. Expect to see me on Live within a week if my luck fails me. again.

BlueDestiny on
  • BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    buy one. the list of quality titles is ever growing, the arcade titles are fun as shit, the functionality is awesome.

as much as i love my wii, i still like my 360 better. i kinda see it as dreamcast 2.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eternal Sonata and Crackdown are the only two games that currently interest me for the 360.

I'd pass.

Oh, maybe Viva Pinata too.

Kiwistrike on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    your thread title, and all the clone [______ on] titles are fucking retarded

/says what a bunch of us are thinking

dont get a 360

Deusfaux on
  • swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Id say get a 360 and wait till there are more good games out for the Wii before you get one. With the 360 already having been out for a while its easy to find games that youll enjoy on it, while theres only a few good games on the Wii at the moment but it has huge potential so wont be long till we see some more.

swift on
    nexx360.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    CC has that $40 off coupon, so that would help you out, if you want to get one it would be a good time to get it cheap(ish).

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Swift has basically created the most useful post this thread is likely to contain.

Might as well end it.

Kiwistrike on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    I would recommend only buying a 360 if:

- you can afford Live! gold;
    - you can afford to buy the "latest and greatest" game every month;
    - you have an HDTV or monitor you can hook it up to.

I have only the third and my 360 gathers a lot of dust. I still play it now and again but nowhere near as much as I used to my PS2.

bongi on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For what it's worth, I'm (naturally) fond of my plan, which is to act on whichever happens first: the 360's price drops, or the Wii becomes available. It's like a race, but all I have to do is sit on my ass! :D

Darlan on
  • Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My 360 gets twice the playtime of my Wii easily.

I heartily vote in favour of your purchase of a 360. Tons and tons of awesome games, plus the Live Arcade & Marketplace.

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • EluchilEluchil Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    After seeing the trailer for Bioshock I seriously considered getting an Xbox 360. It's hard to find good games for the 360. You have to beat your way through the Halo morons to prove that point, but I think a game like this is the kind of thing that will get people interested. It has the mystery angle, intriguing story, awesome graphics of course, first person aspect, and the fact that you have to make ethical decisions based on how you survive in the game.

Eluchil on
    cloudwolf.png
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Three words:

Ninja Gaiden Black

- in HD is fucking awesome and worth owning.
    One a sidenote: The Test Drive title for XBox 360 will be my next purchase - thank you 360 Arcadians podcast for making my wallet cry.

Dratatoo on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bongi wrote:

I have only the third and my 360 gathers a lot of dust. I still play it now and again but nowhere near as much as I used to my PS2.

I don't have Live or HD and I've loved my 360 since launch. They're awesome, but not even close to necessary for enjoyment of the console. I agree with your second point though.

bruin on
  • Flesh Into GearFlesh Into Gear Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    360 is awesome, do it. Also, you can live without HD.

Flesh Into Gear on
    katamarisig4ee3f299bd4.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eluchil wrote:
    After seeing the trailer for Bioshock I seriously considered getting an Xbox 360. It's hard to find good games for the 360. You have to beat your way through the Halo morons to prove that point, but I think a game like this is the kind of thing that will get people interested. It has the mystery angle, intriguing story, awesome graphics of course, first person aspect, and the fact that you have to make ethical decisions based on how you survive in the game.
    Man, what? There are tons of brilliant games on the 360.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    True, I'm running mine through an RF modulator and I still enjoy it.

That's right. RF.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eluchil wrote:
    ..What?

Sanius on
  • Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What part of Nevada do you live in Wii are finally starting to show up in limited number in Las Vegas.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpazMuffin wrote:
    True, I'm running mine through an RF modulator and I still enjoy it.

That's right. RF.

I always wanted to know if anyone ever bought that 3rd Party RF Adapter for the 360.

Accualt on
  • EluchilEluchil Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    BigDes wrote:
    Eluchil wrote:

Not exclusively for the 360. But the new Lost Planet looks good though...

Eluchil on
    cloudwolf.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    bongi wrote:

I don't have Live or HD and I've loved my 360 since launch. They're awesome, but not even close to necessary for enjoyment of the console. I agree with your second point though.
    I play without HD a lot of the time, but when I can be bothered to plug it into my monitor it is so much prettier. It's still better looking than Wii, but there's a lot of very powerful kit in the 360 going to waste. You might as well just buy a PS2 if you're not doing any of the above.

bongi on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eluchil wrote:
    BigDes wrote:
    Eluchil wrote:

Not exclusively for the 360. But the new Lost Planet looks good though...
    I find it funny that you say this, and just 30 minutes ago you point out that bioshock is worth getting a 360 for.

Sanius on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I own 12 games for my 360 (excluding the three burger king games)
    I don't even own every game out so far that I want.

Each game was well worth what I spent.

Sanders on