As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
So preseason starts in like, 20 hours?

I guess it is time for a new NHL thread.

I lived in Michigan for basically my entire life, and played Ice Hockey for about 14 years. Needless to say I loathe the Red Wings. They are the Yankee of Hockey before the Salary Cap, and haven't changed much since its introduction.

My favorite team has been, for as long as I can remember, The Pens. Malkin's performance is the post season was a bit dismal, but it is still only his second year in the league, so cut the youngin' a little slack. Hopefully this year Crobsy can break another ankle, and be out for even longer, leading Malkin to his scoring title. Or the Pens can just realise that Malkin is a bigger star than Sid, and separate their lines appropriately. I currently own a #71 jersey and can't wait till I lead my fantasy team to its third championship on Malkin's back. Last year hurt, watching my favorite team in professional sports belly up against my least favorite team in professional (or college) sports, especially with my roommates being wings fans, but I have high hopes for this year. Maybe the Sens won't choke as bad this year, and actually give then Pens a run for their money.

I no longer live in Michigan and currently reside in Lawrence, KS. I wish that Kansas would'a been able to buy the Pens when they were looking for a new stadium solely so I could see them play more often, regardless I do get to go to see St. Louis vs. LA next week, monday, which should be nice. Anze Kopitar and Michael Cammalleri should be fun to watch.

tl;dr. ITT we <3 the Pens of GTFO.

Burtletoy on

• KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, do if any of you want to play a good ol' fashioned round of fantasy hockey, rotisserie style? We're doing the standard yahoo rules, albeit with 2 IR spots instead of 1. Head on over to http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/register/joinleague?.scrumb=, enter the league ID# ( 41771 ), and the password ( kings ).

Slots are limited, so first come, first serve. Thanks!

Edit: Oh yeah, the draft's in less than 14 hours. Thanks! Haha. (Today @ 2pm)

KPC on
  • edited September 2008
    Wait, I thought that was disbanded along with the Iraq government years ago...huh. But seriously, the Wild are gonna be adequate once again.
    I must go astonish the world with more feats of ade-quata-quasity.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am tempted to get NHL Center Ice Online, but it gave me so much grief last year during the playoffs (when I purchased it). So many games were blacked out. I was wondering what I was paying for.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ESPN Blackhawks rankings-26.
    Well, maybe I'll get interested next season.

Picardathon on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I no longer live in Michigan and currently reside in Lawrence, KS. I wish that Kansas would'a been able to buy the Pens when they were looking for a new stadium solely so I could see them play more often, regardless I do get to go to see St. Louis vs. LA next week, monday, which should be nice. Anze Kopitar and Michael Cammalleri should be fun to watch.

Cammalleri got traded to the Flames at the draft

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh god oh god oh god I am so excited YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!

My Avs will probably be an edge of the playoffs team again, but it all comes down to goaltending which has been suss ever since Roy retired. Budaj has moments of solid play and then other times is just not great. Pretty much like Theodore. And Raycroft? Eh.

Nothing like walking around at PAX then having someone yell FUCK YOU because he saw my Avs wallpaper on my phone. Pfft, Red Wings fans. (Yes Houk I mean you)

They should be better than that.

ArcticXC on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trus wrote: »

:(

I didn't follow much player movement during the off season. Is Brad Boyes still a Blues?

Burtletoy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Leafs all the way this year! WOO!
    Anything's possible...

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    Anything's possible...

If you mean all the way to the front of the draft lottery, than yes, thats very possible!

My Canucks are going to once again be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited September 2008

:(

I didn't follow much player movement during the off season. Is Brad Boyes still a Blues?

Yah, no matter how much I want him to go to my team :P

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think my Habs have probably the best lineup in the last 10 years, so that makes me optimistic.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the Sabers play their opening game on 10 October, which apparently is the same night as my high school's 10th reunion.

Not really a problem, just a pretty good reason to not relive Grosse Point Blank that particular day.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bruins are making the second round this year

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2008
    Do you guys think the Capitals can *ehem* capitalize on the momentuem they had going into the post season last season, or did their dismal post season ruin that progress they were making.

Burtletoy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

ESPN knows shit about hockey except maybe Buccigross. If the Blackhawks get decent goaltending I'd expect them to make the playoffs as a low seed.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They have Cristobal Huet now, he's very good. He hasn't kept the goal for a full season yet but he always has a really high save percentage.

Also, GO HABS GO! We shall dominate! Carey Price is going to be goaltender of the year!

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited September 2008
    Do you guys think the Capitals can *ehem* capitalize on the momentuem they had going into the post season last season, or did their dismal post season ruin that progress they were making.

I highly doubt they have any momentuem, not playing games for 6ish months would kill that.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited September 2008
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3577150

If you guys hire me to coach your team, I swear to god, you'll never let up 82 goals again.

Burtletoy on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm a Habs fan, so needless to say I'm very excited about this upcoming season. Unless they suffer MAJOR injury bug, they're virtualy guarenteed to be a top 5 scoring team in the league. The only problem with high expectations is than anything less than a Cup will dissapoint me. About time to end this cup draught!

Ironically for a Habs team, the only ? point this year is in goal. Will Price be able to rebound from his atrocious performance in the playoffs? If he doesnt it wont matter how many goals they score... :S

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So how about them oilers this year. I hear that they're going to win their division.

In all seriousness though, when I was old enough to really start following hockey, it was in the early 90's when the oilers really sucked. as the years have gone on I've heard them try to be optimistic, and in the late 90's when we were actually getting to the second round of the playoffs it was pretty exciting. Then when we got Pronger and Peca after teh lockout and had a renewed feeling that the oilers would thrive in the new NHL, there was excitement.

I have never heard such excitement for the Oilers as I have this year. The team management has actually has been trying to tone *down* the excitement from the players, fans, media, everyone.

They aren't succeeding.

There will probably be some big changes in the west this year, teams like the oilers and blackhawks are probably going to be good, and will likely make the playoffs, that means that 2 pretty good teams from last year will be out. *cough* Avs *cough*

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Go Pens.
    They're going to lose to the Wings in the finals again

Jragghen on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm starting my playoffs beard now.

Shogun on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    There will probably be some big changes in the west this year, teams like the oilers and blackhawks are probably going to be good, and will likely make the playoffs, that means that 2 pretty good teams from last year will be out. *cough* Avs *cough*

I think Phoenix have some good chances too. Good youth, plus Jokinen and a reliable goaler. I think they have enough elements to make it to the playoffs.

The battle will be pretty epic to follow. I really look forward to this season.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
    edited September 2008
    Jean wrote: »

I think Phoenix have some good chances too. Good youth, plus Jokinen and a reliable goaler. I think they have enough elements to make it to the playoffs.

The battle will be pretty epic to follow. I really look forward to this season.

Right. Tltally forgot to include Phoenix in that. They could very well make the playoffs too. Damnit the west is going to be absolutely fantastic to watch this year.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Go habs! Found my old hockey cards in a box at my parents house. Five copies of the same card of some generic Washinton player? 1$. HÃ¥kan Loobs last card? 10$. Signed Patrick Roy-card? Priceless

RichardTauber on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Canucks are so fucked. :(

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Anything's possible...

If you mean all the way to the front of the draft lottery, than yes, thats very possible!

My Canucks are going to once again be hard pressed to make the playoffs.

No, I mean all the way to the Stanley Cup, WOOOO!

But...I'll settle for a first round draft pick.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love how the new Leafs coach has been repeatedly telling the fans not to get their hopes up and that it's going to be a painful season. I mean, we knew that, but I wonder how the team feels when they read this shit in the paper.

elevature on
    edited September 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    I love how the new Leafs coach has been repeatedly telling the fans not to get their hopes up and that it's going to be a painful season. I mean, we knew that, but I wonder how the team feels when they read this shit in the paper.

The Leaf players have been fucked when it comes to their coaches saying stuff pre season. From Wilson telling them they are going to suck to last year with Maurice saying they would compete for the Stanley Cup

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I highly doubt they have any momentuem, not playing games for 6ish months would kill that.

Ovechkin should be set to go. He has practiced his diving at the local swim club over the summer.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited September 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    The Canucks are so fucked. :(

yea, I feel sorry for Canuck fans. I was in Vancouver about 3 weeks ago and pretty much everyone there I talked to was dreading this season. But really, enjoy having luongo there this year, it will probably be the last one.

wunderbar on
    edited September 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »

Ovechkin should be set to go. He has practiced his diving at the local swim club over the summer.

What kind of Flyers fan is focusing on Ovechkin's diving?

enlightenedbum on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Here we go Bruins, here we go!

I'm the only one here.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2008

I'm the only one here.

How's Bergeron doing these days? Getting any better? Last I heard it still seemed pretty bad.

Burtletoy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I'm the only one here.
    What are you even talking about I already made a Bruins post, on the first page of this thread.

As far as I know Bergeron will be ready to start the season. Chara still isn't completely healed up yet, though.

For some reason there are rumors that Kessel will start the year in Providence. This makes no sense--he is the best goal scorer on the team.

deadonthestreet on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Northwest division is always the most exciting in the league. All you eastern pansies have it easy. ;)

So, this year I get to cheer for the villains, again, eh? Fuckin', Todd Bertuzzi. Why, Flames, why?

Nova_C on
  • Melly MelMelly Mel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    All I know dallas-drake-2008-stanley-cup-champs.jpg
    is that I hope that my team, the Detroit Red Wings repeat.

Melly Mel on
    Amazing_Butterflies_screensaver_-1.jpg
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, fuck the Red Wings.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
    edited September 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    Man, fuck the Red Wings.

Burtletoy on
    edited September 2008
    Haters.

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.