As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIP] Critique me!

2»

• Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited September 2008
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    I didn't mean my comment to be directed at everyone Forbes, sorry if it came off that way. I really meant to direct it at people who were being explicitly rude with their comments. Also, while I understand what beavetron is saying about making him a better artist and tearing down excuses, it doesn't mean that when someone posts with a *specific* problem (even if it's with a piece that isn't really going anywhere) then it is OK to give advice on that problem.
    I also think that everyone misunderstood what the OP was trying to say with his responses. Everyone took it as "I don't care about perspective or your opinions give me asspats". But what he really said was "I know that this piece doesn't follow perspective, but I would still like some help improving it (not just my drawing in general)". Now if you want to point out that this isn't the place for that kind of help, this is the place for really working on your art in general, then by all means point that out to the guy. But there is simply no call for being rude to someone, even if it is the Internet and you don't know them IRL. There is a polite way to say anything that's worth being said in civil conversation.

Sigh.

Please step off the soap box and grow up.

You post something in a public forum and not everyone is going to be nice with their crits.

This piece in particular demands better general drawing skills in order to make any difference.

How do you explain geometry to an infant that can barely speak much less understand what youre saying.

How do you teach a baby to play football if it cant stand much less hold the ball etc.

In this case the person doesnt even understand the basics of the foundation of drawing.

This makes giving a critique frustrating because the best explained advise will be difficult for the guy to understand.

Which means ... why bother wasting our time by posting it here ... and frustration leads to angrey crits.

Deal with it or dont. Your choice.

Castle_Builder on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    *continues kicking dead horse*
    Yeah, I see what you mean Castle, and I'm not disagreeing, but it really isn't hard to be nice, even if you are actually quite frustrated. Really it should be even easier online because you can edit what you said and don't have to worry about hiding the facial expressions which go along with being flustered. Let's just leave it at I don't disagree with what was said but rather I didn't appreciate how it was said.

JohnTWM on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dude, Johnny boy...the artist came in here, said he didn't care about perspective. He said he knew it was all kinds of fucked up but he just didn't care to fix it. He basically only asked if anyone knew how he could apply textures to the road and the dirt which would be nothing but, as Scos put it, polishing a "turd."

This drawing should be scrapped and started over, there's nothing more to it.

DeeLock on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Dude, Johnny boy...the artist came in here, said he didn't care about perspective. He said he knew it was all kinds of fucked up but he just didn't care to fix it.

That isn't what he said, read it again.
    DeeLock wrote: »
    He basically only asked if anyone knew how he could apply textures to the road and the dirt which would be nothing but, as Scos put it, polishing a "turd."

This drawing should be scrapped and started over, there's nothing more to it.
    JohnTWM wrote:
    *continues kicking dead horse*
    Yeah, I see what you mean Castle, and I'm not disagreeing, but it really isn't hard to be nice, even if you are actually quite frustrated. Really it should be even easier online because you can edit what you said and don't have to worry about hiding the facial expressions which go along with being flustered. Let's just leave it at I don't disagree with what was said but rather I didn't appreciate how it was said.

JohnTWM on
  • SingasongSingasong Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Your actually really close with perspective :D Just remember everything lines up with the vanishing point! (and you can even draw in lines on another layer with the line tool to guide you when you set it up or draw). So the roof, the steps, the bridge, the river (if its straight) the field....everything is going to point towards the point in the horizon.

randomwip.jpg

A trick for drawing the trees though, if you lower the horizon (so the front trees seem taller, like you are looking into a forest from the eyes of someone standing at the edge of it) you only really have to draw the front trees (because all the ones behind it are hidden). Then you can use heavy lighting to hide them even more in the shadows (so you dont have to really draw them much).

That way you could focus on just drawing a few really good trees instead of having to tackle an entire forest.

You dont have to be a master to draw and make something you like. But things like perspective are easy things to take down from the start (and that way, even if the drawing textures arent perfect , the picture still seems "right" when you look at it).

A lot of people couldnt tell you WHY it feels wrong (when its out of line with perspective) but they know it does from their natural understanding of how they are used to seeing things.

Another good trick is to use the "Flow" for the brushes (up top). That way when you paint, its not full strength (lower the flow, the better control you have over building up shades). So, if you wanted to fade the back of the trees...you could pick a darker shadow color and just start running over them to cast them in shadows (or go in and out of them to make the bottoms more shadowed).

Untitled-1.jpg

this is just really quick with a big soft brush with the black and white color (if you do it, use darker shades of the colors instead, just putting black on things is a bad way to shade hehe). Things close are going to seem lighter (and things closer to the light source are going to seem lighter). Shading one side of the mountains can help make them more 3d (think about where the moon or sun is). The same shading can be used on the trees to pop them out more also (shading the side away from the light). so instead of flat trees...they would be more like cones (which would be a good step in the right direction!).

Singasong on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok... um, so this is a valentines postcard. Shouldn't it have two sides, or fold or something. Because the other side is just as important to the composition as the drawing. Also, if its folding, the way the paper creases is gonna affect how the image is set up.

MagicToaster on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    I redlined the stuff that needs to be fixed in your image:

attitude.jpg

^
    l
    l

SICK BURN :D

Personally I think the best way to go about this would be to

a) ditch the black outlines

Honestly, one of the most distracting things you can do when trying for a piece that shows stuff in the
    distance is to give EVERYTHING the same black outline. It confuses everything from a perspective point of
    view, giving foreground and background objects the same importance. If you do insist on giving some
    things the outlines, at least have a go at drawing the background without them, making everything at the
    fore stand out a little more

b) stop copy-pasting!

No matter your skill level, most people can tell wheh you've simply cloned something (i.e. trees) and
    plastered it all over the picture. It just seems lazy.

If this is for your anniversary, don't you think your partner would appreciate it a lot more if it showed you
    had spent a lot of time making this and not taken shortcuts? Plus, it would be a good way to practice
    anyway.

Fletcher on