As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linksys router not assigning IP to wireless clients

W2W2 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty much exactly what it sounds like, I'm running a Linksys WRT54G and for some reason the DHCP is not handing out an IP to wireless clients that try to connect. The wireless clients (three different computers, at this point) are able to see the network at Excellent signal strength and put in a WEP key but then they just stick at "renewing IP address." Assigning them a static IP address doesn't seem to help, either.

Wired clients are no problem, as long as they're connected by an ethernet cable they get their IP address straight away.

What I find odd is that the computer I'm typing this on is connected to the router fine via wireless, as is my sister's laptop. Is this possibly because they're using third party software to manage their wireless adapter?

So, is this a DHCP issue, some kind of issue with Windows, or something else entirely?

Oh and the router is currently flashed with DD-WRT but gives me the same issues as the standard firmware.

W2 on

• W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hate to be rude and bump this but my Google-fu has turned up nothing actually helpful. I'd love to get this solved.

Feel free to move this to Moe's Stupid forum if it might get more responses there.

Thanks, guys.

W2 on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So for clarification:

Wired clients connect.
    Wireless clients with third-party software connect (your laptop).
    Someone else isn't able to connect?

Also, please verify that your properly connecting laptops are ACTUALLY CONNECTING TO YOUR ROUTER, and not a neighbor.

That particular router is the result of many revisions and is generally very stable and easy to use, so this is most likely a configuration error.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited September 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    So for clarification:

Wired clients connect.

Correct.
    Wireless clients with third-party software connect (your laptop).

My sister's laptop and my desktop, which I'm posting from. :)
    Someone else isn't able to connect?

My dad's desktop, as well as three different computers brought over by friends.
    Also, please verify that your properly connecting laptops are ACTUALLY CONNECTING TO YOUR ROUTER, and not a neighbor.

Heh, yeah, definitely our network. Ours is the only one in the area, I don't believe the neighbours on either side of us have realised it's the 21st century.
    That particular router is the result of many revisions and is generally very stable and easy to use, so this is most likely a configuration error.

Hopefully, thanks. :)

W2 on
    edited September 2008
    What OS's are you running?

Scrublet on

edited September 2008
    Dad's using Vista, all the other problem clients are XP.

Of the clients that are able to connect, my desktop is running XP, while my sister's laptop is running Vista.

W2 on
    edited September 2008
    Well...given that SOME wireless clients can connect, is there any way you can post an image or write out all the different entries in your wireless connection management screen from the router?

Scrublet on

• DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In general when I type in a WEP/WPA key wrong on XP with the default XP client, it just sits there and says "acquiring IP address" indefinitely. So it's not a DHCP thing in that case, it's a wrong key thing. Do you use a hex key or a passphrase for your key? Maybe try typing in the hex version?

DrFrylock on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    In general when I type in a WEP/WPA key wrong on XP with the default XP client, it just sits there and says "acquiring IP address" indefinitely. So it's not a DHCP thing in that case, it's a wrong key thing. Do you use a hex key or a passphrase for your key? Maybe try typing in the hex version?

Yes always use the actual hex code and not the passphrase.

DeShadowC on
    edited September 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »

Fantastic, that worked instantly.

This can be locked, I suppose, but I think it should be archived forever so the next hapless fool who Googles "wireless clients not being assigned IP address" will find it. :P

Thanks, guys.

W2 on