As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Dwarf, returning in 2009

CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
After a decade of rumours and dead ends with series 9 and the film, Red Dwarf will be revived next year to celebrate the programme's 21st anniversary. There'll be four shows, the original cast will be reprising their roles and will be aired on UKTV's Dave channel (how appropriate). BBC Worldwide will be involved, so there'll probably be international broadcasts as well.

There'll only be two actual episodes (the second and third shows) - the first show will be a making of special, and the fourth will be some kind of clips show ("The cast do it their way."). Robert Llewellyn (Kryten) described this fourth show as "so exciting [he's] been asked not to say anything about that because other people will steal the idea - and it is a great idea, quite challenging for [them] as performers".

I don't know about the rest of you, but this grin won't be wearing off for a good couple of days.

Cyvros on

• DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, is this going to be a reboot, or will it continue where Series VIII left off?

Dalboz on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    From the way they're talking about it, I'm assuming it's a continuation.

At least, I hope it's a continuation. A reboot in two episodes would be a bit sucky.

Cyvros on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Whats a red dwarf?

Fizban140 on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    LEAVE!

No but seriously, red dwarf is the best thing to come out of england since america.

Jokerman on
  • ZwaZwa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dalboz wrote: »
    So, is this going to be a reboot, or will it continue where Series VIII left off?

Well the movie was meant to be an alternative to Series VIII, so that they get back Red Dwarf and go on from there. Hopefully this is the same...

Zwa on
  • AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OMG

Alexander on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hopefully they can undo the suck they caused with those last two series.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Come back Rob Grant!!!!

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am optimistic.

Smeg.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YES

YES

EDIT: Okay, Jizz time over.
    Original cast... good.
    Doug Naylor but no Rob Grant... I can live with that.
    Not BBC... Worrying. How much budget will a small channel like Dave put into this? I was also instantly looking forward to Doctor Who style CGI for the show...

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited September 2008
    YES

YES

EDIT: Okay, Jizz time over.
    Original cast... good.
    Doug Naylor but no Rob Grant... I can live with that.
    Not BBC... Worrying. How much budget will a small channel like Dave put into this? I was also instantly looking forward to Doctor Who style CGI for the show...

BBC Worldwide is involved, so that may be something. Hopefully, this will lead onto more RD.

Dammit, MORE RD!

Cyvros on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod...

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Duck'n'CoverDuck'n'Cover Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod...

Duck'n'Cover on
    demomansig.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I only wish it were on the regular BBC channels, so I could watch it on the iPlayer at university (I don't have a TV in my dorm).

For the moment, I'm expecting it to suck balls, but that's only because I don't want to be disappointed. I'm fine with the way the series ended, because for me it was never about plot - I got all the resolution I needed from the novelisation.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited September 2008
    So what is it?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    For your interest, the alternate ending to Only The Good... (end of Series VIII):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDQ2EbnK1E

I like this one for all of the crew being together at the end, but I prefer the one they went with purely for the sight of Rimmer kneeing Death in the groin.

Cyvros on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    So what is it?

I've never seen one before -- no one has -- but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

Personally, I hope this will be good. But I just know it'll be awful like series 7 and up. When the writing team split up after six and didn't reform for 7 and 8 it was nowhere near the level of brilliance that were series 1 to 6.

So what is it?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
    edited September 2008
    I don't understand the hate for 8. On broadcast I admit Back in the Red (which of course was nearly half the series) was weak, but god damn the feature length version on the DVD, edited together as one episode... I think it's the best episode of Dwarf ever.

APZonerunner on
    edited September 2008
    I don't understand the hate for 8. On broadcast I admit Back in the Red (which of course was nearly half the series) was weak, but god damn the feature length version on the DVD, edited together as one episode... I think it's the best episode of Dwarf ever.

I agree. 8 doesn't quite feel like "classic" Dwarf, but there are some good episodes. Krytie TV is a personal favourite.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited September 2008

I enjoyed 8 because it felt a little like 1 and 2. There were some things, like the Blue Midget tap dancing scene, that made me cringe, but I liked it otherwise.

Also, Chloe Annett.

Cyvros on
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    part of me is really fucking excited because this is one of the funniest shows in the history of television.

part of me doesn't have much hope for any show being good after such a long run.

Amphetamine on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    England wins. Hopefully CBC will broadcast this.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm.
    This could work.
    7 and 8 were pretty awful (hell, 6 wasn't all it's cracked up to me), but there's a chance they could pull things back together.

Xagarath on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    I wish the complete DVD collection wasn't priced at $220, so I could buy it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Not necessarily saying that it's the best but I think that series 3 was the coolest. It had a punkish vibe to it after breaking out of the flat grey first two series.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Not necessarily saying that it's the best but I think that series 3 was the coolest. It had a punkish vibe to it after breaking out of the flat grey first two series.
    Ocean Grey or Military Grey?

Fencingsax on
  • osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Was Big Train actually ever funny?

I feel the same way about Red Dwarf, and Craig Charles looks like a twat. His funk show is sweet though.

osietra on
    edited September 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Ocean Grey or Military Grey?

Gazpacho Soup!

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So does this mean they're going to continue in the mirror universe seeing as the ship is now dead and gone in the normal universe?

Also, I like that alternate ending. I guess they figured they didn't know what was going to happen with the show so they tried to give it a bit of closure.

I only have the first 4 series' because they're so damned expensive for 6 damn episodes. (Or 8 in the case of the last) Seriously, why are other countries shows so short? The Office is 12 episodes and two specials. The US Office is currently at 5 seasons with 66 episodes already. Spaced was two season.. er series' with 14 episodes.

Jasoco on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Craig Charles is now in Coronation St. and Danny Jules was arrested for attacking two bin men.

I am not getting my hopes up for this being an ygood.

Tav on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Then its a good thing the actors don't write the script then isn't it?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Barrie is my favourite but he hasn't aged very well. I doubt the others have either.

And eight didn't work as well because it was always about Listy being the last man alive and them being alone and free to get up to all kinds of trouble with a giant ship and cyborgs.

DarkWarrior on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I want this to be good so hard

LewieP on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    reddwarfreturnuo7.gif
    Yeah, I made it myself. 200hrs in Photoshop.

Lave II on
    edited September 2008
    So what is it?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    I've never seen one before - no one has - but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

APZonerunner on
    edited September 2008
    Only joking!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think we have just reached the middle of this conversation.

Hybrid on
  • ZwaZwa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jasoco wrote: »
    I only have the first 4 series' because they're so damned expensive for 6 damn episodes. (Or 8 in the case of the last) Seriously, why are other countries shows so short? The Office is 12 episodes and two specials. The US Office is currently at 5 seasons with 66 episodes already. Spaced was two season.. er series' with 14 episodes.

Three reasons...
    1. Money
    2. British shows generally have only one or two writers who can obviously do fewer episodes per season.
    3. The writers stop the programme when they get bored or fear that they can't match themselves in the next season....

Zwa on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    British creators tend to choose quality over quantity and pull the plug before it gets stale (see: Simpsons).

DarkWarrior on