As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paid DMing/GMing?

SarxMarksmanSarxMarksman Registered User new member
edited September 2008 in Critical Failures
So, I live in Seattle and recently I was in a game store looking over their bulletin board. There was a large number of games looking for DMs and I thought there might be an opportunity here, so on a whim I put up a flier advertising that I was a "Professional Gamemaster/Dungeon Master", thinking it too absurd to work. However, three days later I did get a call, and as it turns out people are indeed willing to pay for the service, and for the past month and a half, I have been GMing for money for two seperate groups. So, how feasible do you think it is to glean a decent living off of this service while I continue college, is my question to you, fellow gamers?

I thought this might offer up some interesting discussion. If you are interested in my craigslist ads and fliers, and what info they have on them, continue reading this huge wall of text:

"I am a professional gamemaster/dungeon master. I host pen n' paper RPG games for groups of players who either do not want to run the game themselves, or do not have a member who is able to run the games. I offer reasonable rates and a good amount of experience in various RPGs.

If interested, send me an email. My usual charge is 60 dollars for a four hour session. The first session is half-price, and includes character creation, or me teaching you the system for the game if need be. I have all necessary books, miniatures, dice, and maps to play, all you will need to provide is a table big enough to fit your group. At this price I will be running an official printed campaign for the system, specially tailored campaigns require significant time outside of the game and will incur an additional charge.

Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: A professional Dungeon Master? Are you Serious?
A: I know this service is unusual. I have seen many postings at hobby and game stores for groups looking for a DM/GM though, and I thought I could help these groups enjoy pen n' paper games again while also making some extra money.

Q: I don't know you, why would I let you in my home?
A: This is understandable. When a client contacts me I usually arrange a meeting with the homeowner outside of their home in a public place, where we can discuss the specifics of the game. This allows them to realize I'm not a creepy weirdo they wouldn't want in their home, and for me to feel safe going somewhere I'm not familiar with. Also, there are public places like libraries and hobby game stores that we could meet and play at if necessary.

Q: What times are you available?
A: I currently go to school during some weekdays, but most of my evenings are free, as are weekends. I currently run two games on thursdays though, so that day is taken up entirely.

Q: I live far from the city limits, where do you operate?
A: I am willing to run games in the greater seattle area at my base charge. If you are farther away than that, I may add a small travel fee of 10 to 15 dollars to the price, depending on the distance.

Q: Don't you think 60 dollars is a bit much?
A: No, I don't. I am beyond the stage in my life where I can make minimum wage and support myself comfortably. If you want to break it down, you are paying me 15 dollars an hour, but this doesn't include the cost of having to stay current with products from all the systems I run. Supplements are usually in the range of 25-50 dollars, and I like to stay current on every system that I run in order to provide a game that is always fresh and exciting. Also, consider splitting the cost amongst your group. If you get 5 or 6 players together, it's only going to be 10 or 12 dollars per person per week.

Q: What games are you willing to run?
A: Any and all. I am familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, and am equipped to run either 3.5 or 4th Edition games of it. I also can run Mutants and Masterminds, GURPS, Star Wars SAGA, Spycraft, Shadowrun, Exalted, Scion, World of Darkness, and many others. Whatever your group wants to play, I will equip myself to play it.

Q: What're your qualifications?
A: I have been dungeon mastering games for over 10 years. I have done every kind of game from a group of friends, to running games at conventions. Over the years I have been able to perfect the craft, and have many methods of making the process run easy and smooth. About 6 months ago I decided to hire myself out, and it has gone great since then. I have run Dungeons and Dragons games for a handful of groups, and have gotten entirely positive reviews. I am even willing to give you a money back guarantee on the first session.

Q: I've always wanted to try Dungeons and Dragons, but never have, do I need to know anything about these games to hire you?
A: No. You don't even have to buy the books. I have everything you need to play, and have taught many people to play all of the various systems I can run. Even if you have no idea which game you want to play, we can discuss it at the first meeting.

Q: 60 dollars is a lot of money for me, do you offer any kind of discounts or price breaks?
A: Besides half-price first sessions, I offer bulk discounts if you want to pay for a few sessions at a time. I am all about the group having fun, and don't want to make the atmosphere too bureaucratic, so the price is negotiable to an extent. For instance, if your group provides food, I am willing to offer a discount. I am very reasonable about time and money constraints, cancellations, etc.

So, if maybe you used to play in high school and want to try again, if you have a group but no one wants to DM/GM it, or if you want to try it out for the first time, email me and I'm sure we can work something out."

SarxMarksman on

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was going to say something witty about taking money from people who can't do for themselves... but that's what our society is all about, so if you can make money at it, I say go for it!

tl;dr There truly is a market for everything.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's pretty awesome actually.

Wish I could.

Goose! on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seems like I ought to have some moral objections to this, but after being the only GM for my group for like six years... how much would it cost for you to come to Indiana? :P

Galielmus on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't know.. I mean.. Go for it, by all means. But I feel like if you treat it like a job and don't get groups you have fun with you just.. won't have fun. And having fun is a big part of d&d, whether it's a player, or a DM. That's how I see it. And I don't feel that you and the group will be able to become close friends if there's constant money exchange.

But purely from a business viewpoint, go for it.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This seems like an awful idea to me before. I have actually heard of it before: On another set of boards somebody suggested that they were going to start charging for DMing, I think due to the responses he received he left that particular forum. Although he also put himself across as a real dick, like he was doing the world a favour with his mastery of DMing.

I don't really like the implication that DMing is a job myself, it's a role that can be hard to fill because it's where the responsibility lies but it's a role that I don't think I'd like filled by somebody who wasn't a friend. It sounds like any of the usual OOC drama would really escalate to horrible unpleasantness here and there's just no room for fun any more.

Still, if it works for you and there are groups that will pay, then good luck to you.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You are providing a service. Dm'ing takes a lot of work, and being a GOOD DM takes skill. If you can get someone to pay for what you do, go for it. You should probably put in something about a desired group size, or suggest a minimum limit of players they'll need to find to play.

If this is "beer and book" money, go for it. If this is "Oh shit, rents due", I don't know if you can make this into a career.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How much do they actually pay you? It vastly changes the scope of the discussion.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How much do they actually pay you? It vastly changes the scope of the discussion.

This is in the OP. He talks about charging sixty dollars a session.

Good on him, I guess, there's no way I'd pay somebody sixty dollars a week to GM a game, though (or even ten bucks a week, hell. That kind of money comes in to buy snacks and drinks for six people!)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Depends on what he did to earn that 60 bucks. If its a 6 hour session, then that's something.

Goose! on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Depends on what he did to earn that 60 bucks. If its a 6 hour session, then that's something.

In the OP he says it's for a four hour session. And, that he has the dice, miniatures, books, and everything else needed to play except the table.

LaOs on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    He's not exploiting anything unjustly, this sounds like a good idea, and I can definitely see where there's a market for it. I too would be worried about becoming disenchanted with the game at large, but I don't imagine you do like 6 or 7 sessions per week, so that may not even become an issue, but then, I'm of the opinion that just because you're paid to do something doesn't make you hate it at all.

I actually think it's great, it could definitely be relief to long time GM's who don't have anyone else to do it, who want to play, or groups that are stepping new into the world of tabletop gaming. Overall, i approve.

"If you're good at something, don't do it cheap."

Rend on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Four hour session isn't bad either. I'd have to sit in on a session of his and see how well he does it. But yeah, if you have 5 friends to split the bill its not bad either.

Goose! on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goose! wrote: »
    Four hour session isn't bad either. I'd have to sit in on a session of his and see how well he does it. But yeah, if you have 5 friends to split the bill its not bad either.

And the first session is half price.

Overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with this idea at all. Obviously he's found some market for it as well, so that's cool. I don't know that I would take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean I don't see the merit in offering such a service.

LaOs on
  • Options
    GraelynGraelyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Coming soon: Get an online degree in Game Mastering!
    Get a leg up on this exciting emerging field!

Graelyn on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    After having had several DM's (and watching most of them be pretty shitty) across the group of people I know for various tabletop games, I can definitely see the benefit to paying a nominal fee for a decent GM, either because the current crew is too small for one, or because the people who normally DM want to play. I don't see how "Money is being charged'' suddenly changes it into a moral discussion.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It is an ethical discussion, however, because of the later implications of charging as a GM. Unless you separate yourself from your gaming groups (i.e. you don't hang out with them unless it is for the game), you run into the issue of essentially charging your friends money to run games for them.

When you start charging money for a service, there needs to be a barrier between you and your clients. You can be friendly, but you can't be friends; otherwise it can very quickly become unethical. Say you become boyfriend/girlfriend with one of your clients. Should you start giving them discounts? Should you even still be running for them anymore (at least while charging them)? I would have to say no.

Now, to Sarx: if you really want to take this to the next level, you need to 1) apply for a business license, and 2) get more GM's who work for you (assuming the demand calls for it). That way you are making money both on the games you personally are running and on the games you can't run but that you play matchmaker for. Heck, if your service spreads widely enough, Hasbro might buy you out for a mil or two.

My advice, though, as said in my first couple of paragraphs, is that you keep it strictly professional. If you become friends with a particular group, or if you start playing in a group where one of the players takes up the mantle of DM, you are ethically obligated to either stop running for them or stop charging to run for them.

Edit: and make sure you report your earnings on your tax forms, so as to avoid being raped by the IRS. You'll need to submit a form 1099, I believe.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    60 Bucks for DMing?

Wow, you live in Utah or somesuch?

My friend DM's as payment for odd jobs, mainly because he doesn't have time to cook pork chops the way mom does while DMing games of D&D/CoC/Transhuman Space/Shadowrun 3rd.

And he hosts LAN parties so long as he can get twenty bucks pooled together to bribe the landlord so that he distracts the giant douchebag of a traffic cop so he doesn't bitch about zoning requirements.

Or having his groceries run for him so he can cook delicious pork chops, and then have us for dinner because Qwest is throttling his innernatz and he is so goddamn bored.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think you should watch that episode of SEINFELD where he starts dating his maid. She refuses to clean his apartment when he doesn't pay, so he feels like he's paying for a hooker. If you charge your friends, you are basically being a whore. If you charge people that aren't your friends, you can maintain a sort of distance to be professional.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Torgo wrote: »
    I think you should watch that episode of SEINFELD where he starts dating his maid. She refuses to clean his apartment when he doesn't pay, so he feels like he's paying for a hooker. If you charge your friends, you are basically being a whore. If you charge people that aren't your friends, you can maintain a sort of distance to be professional.

From what I recall of that episode... he starts dating her, and she comes over and they go to the bedroom, he pays her, and she leaves, and he realises that she hasn't cleaned anything. I'm pretty sure he stopped it after that. I'd love to see that episode again though. Shoot, all episodes are hilarious... hrm, wonder if it's re-running anywhere right now...

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »

From what I recall of that episode... he starts dating her, and she comes over and they go to the bedroom, he pays her, and she leaves, and he realises that she hasn't cleaned anything. I'm pretty sure he stopped it after that. I'd love to see that episode again though. Shoot, all episodes are hilarious... hrm, wonder if it's re-running anywhere right now...

She made the bed. He pays. They have a disagreement. He goes looking for her and finds either her or Ilene. Jerry gets picked up for attempting to pick up a prostitute.

Kramer gets picked up as a male-male prostitute.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The way I see it, this is a great idea, as long as you treat it like a paying hobby rather than an "actual job". If people are willing to shell out the cash to have an experienced GM run their game, why not be that GM?

Captain K on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Dyvion wrote: »

She made the bed. He pays. They have a disagreement. He goes looking for her and finds either her or Ilene. Jerry gets picked up for attempting to pick up a prostitute.

Kramer gets picked up as a male-male prostitute.

Close, up to the end. George, parking in a new lot, has hookers turning tricks in his car. Kramer is walking around wearing the amazing technicolor dream coat (as in Joseph and) and gets picked up as a pimp.
    Useless memory FTW.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    FTL, you are thinking of a different episode.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh shiz, you're right! Kramer is lost down town trying to find his girlfriend's apartment in the village when he gets picked up. But doesn't he get picked up to be a house cleaner, reinforcing the hooker/maid thing? My apologies, you are superior in useless Seinfeld knowledge. I just didn't think there were two different hooker-centric episodes.

On Topic: $60/week seems like a lot to me, having run a game that cost me 30 or so bucks a week - I made dinner for everyone in a 6 player game. That said, having played a few games in RPGA, game fees might make sense in a setting like that, not unlike tourney entry fees for a CCG.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nah some guy just comes along and asks him if he needs a ride, the conversation goes into suggestive territory and kramer has no clue he is following along

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png