As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Next Terrorist Target: The House Of Mouse?

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Social Entropy++
Probably not new, but it was weird enough that I had to bring it up.

http://www.newsarama.com/film/090822-MickeyFatwa.html
Newsarama wrote:
In a story that’s so weird his has to be considered true, a leading Saudi Arabian cleric has declared Mickey Mouse to be an “agent of Satan.” As such, he has put a fatwa, or death sentence , on the Mouse’s head.

This is not the first time the Mouse has come into conflict with the Muslim world. A few years back, the Palestinian political group Hamas used an almost exact duplicate of the Mickey, named Farfour, as a sort of host of its own TV show. From this pulpit it used to preach death and destruction to its audience, young Palestinian children.

In 2007, the character was also “murdered” on air. A co-host of the show declared Farfour was killed by an actor posing as an Israeli official trying to buy Farfour's land. At one point, the mouse called the Israeli a "terrorist."

"Farfour was martyred while defending his land," said Sara, a teen co-star. He was killed "by the killers of children," she added.

Owenashi on

• arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Goddamnit Islam

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • BibbleBibble __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Bibble on
    2jezcsmjpg.gif
  • AirAir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yea those jews
    they never had it so good

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WE CAN LOSE 'EM AT SPACE MOUNTAIN

Meissnerd on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Afghanime

Lucky Cynic on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Probably not new, but it was weird enough that I had to bring it up.

http://www.newsarama.com/film/090822-MickeyFatwa.html
    Newsarama wrote:
    In a story that’s so weird his has to be considered true, a leading Saudi Arabian cleric has declared Mickey Mouse to be an “agent of Satan.” As such, he has put a fatwa, or death sentence , on the Mouse’s head.

This is not the first time the Mouse has come into conflict with the Muslim world. A few years back, the Palestinian political group Hamas used an almost exact duplicate of the Mickey, named Farfour, as a sort of host of its own TV show. From this pulpit it used to preach death and destruction to its audience, young Palestinian children.

In 2007, the character was also “murdered” on air. A co-host of the show declared Farfour was killed by an actor posing as an Israeli official trying to buy Farfour's land. At one point, the mouse called the Israeli a "terrorist."

"Farfour was martyred while defending his land," said Sara, a teen co-star. He was killed "by the killers of children," she added.

what the hell

Centipede Damascus on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    religious fanaticism is awesome you guys.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited September 2008
    imagine if when you were a kid that Elmo got murdered on Sesame Street and Gordon told you it was the Russians

that is so screwed up it's not even funny

Centipede Damascus on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What the fuck is wrong with Palestinian children's television?

Bloods End on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    500873512_101201fc14.jpg

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    500873512_101201fc14.jpg

Jerry Falwell was the man. He didn't take no shit from no satanic homosexual alien purple fuzzy things.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Good, that fucking rat has had it coming for years

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The defense grid necessary to protect the House of Mouse must be designed and built by experts in the field. Therefore, I propose:
    BobTheBuilder.jpg

be tasked for the job.

Slagmire on
    edited September 2008
    i saw an ad on tv today (on the multicultural channel) thats like some random aussie guy went to live with a certain controversial high ranking islamic imam guy

this guy is apparently one of the highest ranking muslim clerics in australia and hes been in the news a bunch of times for shit like blaming victims of rape for not being at home wearing their hijab, instead of walking around the street in normal clothes like exposed meat
    and calling women tools of the devil and publicly praising jihadists and stuff
    i think maybe they tried to deport him at one point but im not sure

and then this ad comes on tv that starts off with this aussie guy going 'hi im nick and i got a special talent where i can count the number of letters in words really quick. muslim -thats 6 letters. thats about all i know about that religion'
    and then they mentioned that he lived with the cleric for 6 weeks i think and i thought it was a bad joke with the same awful writing until it showed them hanging out together
    hmm

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    more reasons to be glad i wasn't born in Palestine

Clint Eastwood on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know how there was that beheading on a bus bound to winnipeg up here?

People were making jokes about not traveling on buses after that. I reminded them it's pretty much the only time it's ever happened so actually having something like that happen again would be pretty damn slim, like being struck by lightening since there's not really any history of violence on greyhound buses.

Then, a week later some shit happens, and just now there was yet ANOTHER STABBING on yet ANOTHER greyhound bus to winnipeg.

What the fuck

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Coming soon: a lawsuit against Mickey Mouse for "defamation of religion"

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    edited September 2008
    Its a strange debate-whether religion does more harm than good.

I don't know.

Christianity sucks, Islam sucks even more. Buddhism is pretty cool I guess. The end.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »
    You know how there was that beheading on a bus bound to winnipeg up here?

People were making jokes about not traveling on buses after that. I reminded them it's pretty much the only time it's ever happened so actually having something like that happen again would be pretty damn slim, like being struck by lightening since there's not really any history of violence on greyhound buses.

Then, a week later some shit happens, and just now there was yet ANOTHER STABBING on yet ANOTHER greyhound bus to winnipeg.

What the fuck
    I rode a bus once, and I kinda felt like stabbing a dude about halfway through.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They're just mad because all of our buildings aren't made of sand.

Weaver on
    edited September 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

I don't know.

Christianity sucks, Islam sucks even more. Buddhism is pretty cool I guess. The end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIBSeaJ9YI

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    You know whats creepy, seeing a bus drive by with only one passenger. Some dude sitting in the back with a hoodie and sunglasses.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited September 2008
    Yes but the Dalai Llama does not issue edicts that affect the course of my country's social conservatism hardon

Give me a break I am anti-religion and trying not to look like a total tool.

They all blow pretty bad.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That guy has a horrible voice.

ChicoBlue on
    edited September 2008

I don't know.

way to be ignorant, dude

Centipede Damascus on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    people aren't taking us seriously enough

lets declare fatwa on mickey mouse!

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2008
    the only answer to holy war is to counter with secular war

Weaver on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jihadists for Jesus

I really hope that URL isn't taken

Clint Eastwood on
    edited September 2008
    We should really just sick the latter-day saints people on islam two birds one stone

Weaver on
    edited September 2008
    funny show though
    have a look at more on youtube

oh shit this one seems a bit more relevant last one guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RyzFjQbHE

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Ignorant of what exactly? What am I missing? There are good religious people and sound religious thinkers. Overall I have found in my search for faith that in order to be a reasonable religious thinker you have to discard or ignore much of what you would read in your chosen book of faith.

People claim that the fundamentalists are the issue--but really aren't they just doing it right?

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I think the argument is more over what the fundamentals are

Meissnerd on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ignorant of what exactly? What am I missing? There are good religious people and sound religious thinkers. Overall I have found in my search for faith that in order to be a reasonable religious thinker you have to discard or ignore much of what you would read in your chosen book of faith.

People claim that the fundamentalists are the issue--but really aren't they just doing it right?

You're painting an entire religion with the brush of a very small minority of fundamentalists.

I know plenty is Islamic people who are no different from you or me. Heck, they wear suits to work and can throw down in Mario Kart like nobodies business.

Islam isn't this wacky thing out in the desert somewhere.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    Well as far as Christianity goes, the fundie retards are basically drawing all their hate from the Old Testament, and conveniently ignore the fact that Jesus comes off as a bit of a liberal hippie in the New Testament.

The Old Testament is lame as shit.

Clint Eastwood on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I think the argument is more over what the fundamentals are

ka-ding

i'm a pretty religious dude

but my religion also doesn't call upon me to be a fuckle to people

so there you go

Pony on
    edited September 2008
    hey Pony's back

Weaver on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Well as far as Christianity goes, the fundie retards are basically drawing all their hate from the Old Testament, and conveniently ignore the fact that Jesus comes off as a bit of a liberal hippie in the New Testament.

The Old Testament is lame as shit.

Nah people in the old testament got shit done.

dont let my people go free? oh well im going to cover your lands with death, suffering and plagues of ever increasing inventiveness.

did jesus ever do that? fuck no he was all 'love thy neighbour'. what a homo.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2008
    From the seminarians I have talked to in my limited study focused on Catholic and Protestant faiths there is a "trans-literal" perspective that many are taught to embrace--at least when preaching. In Catholic and Episcopal traditions I was always taught about the symbolic nature of Genesis which I very much appreciate.

The issue is that the Religious right is dominated by politically active evangelical fronts and baptist fundamentalist groups which do believe in literal interpretation and I don't know if you read the OT but that shit is hardcore

The problem is that most people in the US may not be fundamentalists--but most do believe in a "God".

A pseudo legitimacy is seized upon from there and then all of the sudden we are a "Christian Nation" with a bent towards radical Christian ideology knownst or unbeknownst to the citizens. The argument over Gay Marriage is just the beginning of what the Falwell types have in store.

I expect that Islam would be much the same except that Middle Eastern society mostly forgoes any pretense of secularism.

edit- To follow up on Scarabs point Islam is very much indeed a global religion (the fastest growing in the US in fact) I just percieve that the issue of Islamic Fundamentalism in the Middle East is particularly pressing right now.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Guys I was shown in a vision from the Lord God Allah that I am the living reincarnation of the Prophet Muhammed and uhhhh I just want to go on the record that all that stuff I said my first time around, yeah I was tripping balls pretty hard on hashish and honey wine. My bad.

Weaver on
    edited September 2008
    It's a lot like political ideas, really

You have people taking worth from an idea in an extreme way, or a moderate way, or whatever in between

If you asked a christian what they thought was the most important message from the bible you'd get answers like

god hates gay people

we should treat everyone well

helping the poor is paramount

all other religions are false

the argument shouldn't be about whether the bible is legitimate or not; the ideas are the same no matter how they're worded

Meissnerd on