As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

• Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    Leveling through PvP isn't really faster, except that you get Renown and Experience.
    It's the fastest XP I've seen, if you're winning or at least making the games close. The bonus XP you get at the end of the scenario is tied to what your point score is at the end of the game. And of course, the XP you get for killing opposing players is going to be a lot higher if you're not having your ass handed to you.

What me and my friends were doing in T1 was just questing solo in our respective areas, but in a group. We'd have people in the different pairings queue the whole group for all 3 scenarios. Made for a lot of scenario pops. We got face-stomped roughly half the time until most of our crew was level 8, then it flipped and we started winning more than we lost. Once most people in the group were 10, we were regularly steamrolling other teams in T1 scenarios. All T1 scenarios. If you're not winning Nordenwatch, your tanks need to grow some balls and learn how to rush Fort. Destruction gets to the flag first if they're paying attention and don't pussy out when they get to the top of the hill.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    It will be very hard to try and quest in one zone while doing another's scenario. The flight masters are only in the war camps, which are relatively far away from the chapter bases until chap 3-4. Your best bet is to group with someone who's in the pairing you want to queue for.

Personally, I like Nordenwatch better than Khaine's embrace. KE is usually just a clusterfuck, and a well-organized team can completely dominate much easier.

So if Nordenwatch sucks and Ekrund's is basically the same and KE is a clusterfuck, is there any point to doing T1 scenarios? I'm finding levelling through pve to be too slow.

Leveling through PvP isn't really faster, except that you get Renown and Experience.

Oh I didn't expect it to be faster, just more fun. If I need to avoid T1 scenarios because the others aren't really any better than Nordenwatch, that just means I have to spend even longer doing pve which is not my ideal playstyle.

Is repeatedly doing the same PQ better xp than doing normal quests?

PQs are generally not the best way to earn XP, no. I grind them to get influence, and once I max that out I generally head on to questing and whatever else.

People who say there's no incentive to completing PQs are doing it wrong, especially in t2. Last night I was doing a PQ with all the Beastmen in the Chaos zone, and the XP reward at the end of the thing was pretty impressive, not to mention the serious flood of gear that was dropping. This is not to say that it was as quick as questing, but still... considering how good the influence rewards are, getting a nice boost of XP for each completion is really, really nice. But PQs are about teamwork, and lone wolves are going to hate them.

The trick to doing PQs is to group up. Even if it's with a completely random group of pubbies, join their group or create one if no one's grouped. Everyone gets a steady stream of influence (since the group/warband shares inf from every kill), which means people don't need to ninja kills from one another, and as long as you don't have asshats rolling need on everything, you're way more likely to get a cool drop for your class.

Grinding Stage 1 of PQs is a sure path to madness, and not much else.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When the hell am I going to be able to get a helm of some kind? 14/13 witch elf here, and I only JUST got a Cloak (PQ random drop), let alone a helm (and I only just got good shoulders, too).

And what the hell are Pocket items supposed to be?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PQs are generally not the best way to earn XP, no. I grind them to get influence, and once I max that out I generally head on to questing and whatever else.

People who say there's no incentive to completing PQs are doing it wrong, especially in t2. Last night I was doing a PQ with all the Beastmen in the Chaos zone, and the XP reward at the end of the thing was pretty impressive, not to mention the serious flood of gear that was dropping. This is not to say that it was as quick as questing, but still... considering how good the influence rewards are, getting a nice boost of XP for each completion is really, really nice. But PQs are about teamwork, and lone wolves are going to hate them.

The trick to doing PQs is to group up. Even if it's with a completely random group of pubbies, join their group or create one if no one's grouped. Everyone gets a steady stream of influence (since the group/warband shares inf from every kill), which means people don't need to ninja kills from one another, and as long as you don't have asshats rolling need on everything, you're way more likely to get a cool drop for your class.

I am a big-time Stage 1 Grinder. Influence gain from Stage 1 kills is so good that it's really not much of a grind, at least not compared to WOW's grinds, and combine that with the very good chance that you will win nothing from the PQ Loot roll, I don't see any reason to run the PQ to the end.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    SifakaSifaka Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It will be very hard to try and quest in one zone while doing another's scenario. The flight masters are only in the war camps, which are relatively far away from the chapter bases until chap 3-4. Your best bet is to group with someone who's in the pairing you want to queue for.

Personally, I like Nordenwatch better than Khaine's embrace. KE is usually just a clusterfuck, and a well-organized team can completely dominate much easier.

So if Nordenwatch sucks and Ekrund's is basically the same and KE is a clusterfuck, is there any point to doing T1 scenarios? I'm finding levelling through pve to be too slow.

Oh I didn't expect it to be faster, just more fun. If I need to avoid T1 scenarios because the others aren't really any better than Nordenwatch, that just means I have to spend even longer doing pve which is not my ideal playstyle.

Is repeatedly doing the same PQ better xp than doing normal quests?

One option is to form a group with some one who is in the zone you want to RvR for. You can have them join as a group and you can keep questing in the zone your in. The RvR pops and your both placed in it. It also improves your chances of not loosing... though in my case I seem to be doing it wrong as I almost always loose. :-(

Sifaka on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    When the hell am I going to be able to get a helm of some kind? 14/13 witch elf here, and I only JUST got a Cloak (PQ random drop), let alone a helm (and I only just got good shoulders, too).

And what the hell are Pocket items supposed to be?

Lint and 7-11 receipts

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so the eastore really came through. instead of the standard slow shipping i had chosen when i ordered way back in march they shipped puralator air free of charge and got me my ce by 9am this morning.

pretty pumped about that.

Angry on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    - More Open. The Gorilla offers multiple courses to take as you develop your toons in a massive, richly developed game world. WAR quite literally requires you to follow one specific path in each zone. Want to stray from the path and try something different ? Too Bad ! Waaaagh !

WTF? This isn't true at all.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I am a big-time Stage 1 Grinder. Influence gain from Stage 1 kills is so good that it's really not much of a grind, at least not compared to WOW's grinds, and combine that with the very good chance that you will win nothing from the PQ Loot roll, I don't see any reason to run the PQ to the end.

I find as a healer (shaman) I tend to do very well on the PQ rolls. I think the game is stacked unfairly to reward healing, but then again with out healing no one would be getting any PQ loot.

Sifaka on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's the fastest XP I've seen, if you're winning or at least making the games close. The bonus XP you get at the end of the scenario is tied to what your point score is at the end of the game. And of course, the XP you get for killing opposing players is going to be a lot higher if you're not having your ass handed to you.

This needs to be quoted, totally. Me and and few other CMs did a couple of scenarios last night. We were coordinated enough we raped Destro pretty hard as a group, but we lost the scenarios overall. Regardless, we actually ended up with more XP than most or all of the opposing team, to the tune of 10-11k xp vs. their 8-9k xp. If you have a good group, you can level pretty quickly, win or lose.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I'm not saying that you're wrong for doing it in whatever way you think is the most fun or the least tedious, but your reasons for doing this are a bit off.

If you're going to be grinding the PQ anyways, completing it brings pretty substantial Inf rewards, not to mention XP rewards and the like. As well, the loot rolls at the end are weighted... not just for how well you participated, but for how many times you've not gotten anything. I have yet to do a full PQ grind without getting at least one lesser loot bag, which always contains a very nice 'uncommon' quality item. In fact, most times (particularly since starting t2), I've ended up taking the cash reward a few times because I'd end up winning enough times just from sticking around.

I'm just saying... if you stopped doing PQs all the way through because of your experience with them in beta or the preview weekend, it might be time to try it differently. Back then, the persistance bonus wasn't in, so you could theoretically complete PQs forever and not win anything. Nowadays, you're sure to build up enough of a bonus to become unbeatable, assuming you're actually trying.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    - More Open. The Gorilla offers multiple courses to take as you develop your toons in a massive, richly developed game world. WAR quite literally requires you to follow one specific path in each zone. Want to stray from the path and try something different ? Too Bad ! Waaaagh !

Yeah, not true at all. WAR gives you at least three, in the form of the three Racial Pairings.
    Don't like Mount Bloodhorn? Go to Norsca or the Blighted Isle.

And once you get out of the first couple of chapters, there are PQs all over the zone, around three. People have a habit of clustering in a single one, but the others ones are good too.

And, there's PvE vs. RvR leveling. Then there's Open RvR vs. Scenario RvR leveling.

So yeah, if you find yourself on a linear track, you're doing something wrong.

The one thing sort of missing is low level instanced dungeons. No Deadmines here. Tier 3 is where the dungeon stuff starts to kick in.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Selner wrote: »

Yeah, not true at all. WAR gives you at least three, in the form of the three Racial Pairings.
    Don't like Mount Bloodhorn? Go to Norsca or the Blighted Isle.

And once you get out of the first couple of chapters, there are PQs all over the zone, around three. People have a habit of clustering in a single one, but the others ones are good too.

And, there's PvE vs. RvR leveling. Then there's Open RvR vs. Scenario RvR leveling.

So yeah, if you find yourself on a linear track, you're doing something wrong.

The one thing sort of missing is low level instanced dungeons. No Deadmines here. Tier 3 is where the dungeon stuff starts to kick in.

I think we forget how scripted and constrained the WoW starting areas are. It is not until level 20 or so that you get to travel through multiple zones.

Edit:
    I think the criticism on the learning curve of the game is a lot more founded. The game does not do a good job of introducing you to crafting, RvR, item use, or gear choices.

Sifaka on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    I haven't really followed the path at all since Tier 1, and I'm closing in on the eve of Tier 3.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So according to the manual there are 400 PQs in WAR.

Is that about true?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    After making a DoK and setting him up in the mouths I have been strangely absent.

Part of that time was work but the rest of it was me making a Shaman and trying it out to see how I'd like it. I quickly fell in love with it and I plan on logging in to my DoK having him quit the guild and joining my Shaman up.

Even if you're all level 40 by the time I get around to it. :)

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    quick question: After killing an enemy player in world pvp, I looted him and there was a blue item on him (my first time seeing a blue item in this game). However I could not loot it. My bags were not full. The item was listed for archmage or something and I am a witch hunter. Can you only loot blue items of your class? I had to step away from the corpse for a minute to fight off some other enemy players, and when i went back the corpse was gone.

How does this work?

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

There are at least two little instanced dungeons for lvl 15ish players in IC. I don't know if there is anything more than that.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    So according to the manual there are 400 PQs in WAR.

Is that about true?

Sounds about right. Bear in mind, though, that there's probably about 75 PQ's that are viable unless you're bringing your own group.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Phoenix Gate, however, is awful.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Phoenix Gate is fantastic. It's my favorite one to kill shadow warriors in.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

There are at least two little instanced dungeons for lvl 15ish players in IC. I don't know if there is anything more than that.

There are three wings to the Sacellum Dungeons in IC. Two are in the stands and the third is on the floor of the arena. They are 13-18 and pretty fun. I highly suggest getting a group and checking them out before you out level them too much.

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind the other two scenarios, but the time/exp-reknown ratio is never worth it for Phoenix gate as it always ends up being a mexican standoff. Plus I'm the only jackass on my team who actually tries to defend the flag while everyone else charges to the bridge bloodbath. So not only am I losing, I'm not getting any points/kills simply because I'm trying to play as intended. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Another question:

A buddy has been asking me stuff about the game now that I have it and he wanted to know if "this has raids like WoW".

He doesn't mean large scale PvP but PvE. Is there anything like Molten Core or something?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God I hope not.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    God I hope not.

Well,not exactly like Molten Core or so, but like, just dungeons/castles, whatever where you need a group of players to go in and fight big monsters/enemies and get loot and other stuff.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    There are a few Onyxia style encounters

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Count me as another person hoping there isn't large scale PvE raiding.

Anyways, where are you people looking for mods? I'd normally go to curse, but I've seen alot of negativity towards them in this thread so I was wondering if there was another good spot?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Anyways, where are you people looking for mods? I'd normally go to curse, but I've seen alot of negativity towards them in this thread so I was wondering if there was another good spot?

What was the negativity? I missed it.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm about to run out and buy this game, just one quick question - does it come with free time?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm about to run out and buy this game, just one quick question - does it come with free time?

30 days.

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

What was the negativity? I missed it.

Some accusations of account username/password phishing, if I recall. It may have only been with the Curse client though.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot: It comes with a free month, like every mmo under the sun.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Curse is it. I think the issue with Curse was a while ago they had a keylogger-embedded add on their site. I'm *hoping* they have all those issues covered, now as it's still the most popular mod site out there.

Timmer on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

you should be wary about it running on your computer. it's a big more hefty than the recommended system specs say

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Timmer wrote: »

Curse is it. I think the issue with Curse was a while ago they had a keylogger-embedded add on their site. I'm *hoping* they have all those issues covered, now as it's still the most popular mod site out there.

Was it a phisher that someone else planted in via a mod, or something Curse themselves had going on?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tyrannus wrote: »

you should be wary about it running on your computer. it's a big more hefty than the recommended system specs say

I have a very good computer. Shattrath in WoW ran at 60fps at all times, Bioshock ran flawlessly, I haven't ran into a single problem yet.

• Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind the other two scenarios, but the time/exp-reknown ratio is never worth it for Phoenix gate as it always ends up being a mexican standoff. Plus I'm the only jackass on my team who actually tries to defend the flag while everyone else charges to the bridge bloodbath. So not only am I losing, I'm not getting any points/kills simply because I'm trying to play as intended. :?

This is the problem with almost every Scenario... people want to play like it's a deathmatch, and not like it's supposed to be played... y'know, with tactics and defense.

I suppose this truism might make a game like Mourkain's more fun when we aren't getting steamrolled... there really is only one thing to defend, and that's the guy with the big pillar of light over his head. If he's on your team, the entire enemy team is there so you are in constant battle. If he's on the other team, you are all charging after him so you're in constant battle.

Only problem is that, as someone mentioned many pages ago at this point, the damage ticker isn't working right, because one guy shouldn't be able to survive the whole game holding the token. Period.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ugh can you buy this online and just download it? Best Buy is out of stock and I don't want to take two buses to get to the nearest EB.

• Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Timmer wrote: »

Was it a phisher that someone else planted in via a mod, or something Curse themselves had going on?
    Honestly, never heard anything concrete and, as this thread is proof of, everyone has a different story about (client, embedded add, embedded into the site, etc). I remember it being a web add but I never researched it. Might be a good idea to...

EDIT: I googled curse + keylogger and basically found just a bunch of hearsay ("I hear Curse has a keylogger", "I think I got a keylogger as a fake addon" etc). Seems very few proven cases if any. Looks like mostly some people tried to have a keylogger disguised as an addon. I never use an addon that has an EXE in it for that purpose. Curse's client may not care though which would be a vote for manually managing addons. I do think their client works nice though. *knocks on wood*

Timmer on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ugh can you buy this online and just download it? Best Buy is out of stock and I don't want to take two buses to get to the nearest EB.

Direct2Drive and the EA store should both have it.

kildy on
This discussion has been closed.