As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

• Options
    Word5mithWord5mith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    There are a few Onyxia style encounters

Yeah, like the first dark elf PQ.

But without the tanks...

Word5mith on
    Echo wrote:
    Dear cultivation skill: over five minutes to grow a seed? Fuck you.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's a pretty good way to describe it, for someone who's familiar with WoW anyway. The kind of setup where you can finish the whole place in under an hour. Unless the boss keeps breathing fireballs all willy-nilly and one-shotting your healers. I'm looking at you, Virixal the Broken!

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Word5mith wrote: »

But without the tanks...

Oh God, the first Dwarven PQ is terrible, whatever ironbreakers are around, always end up being terribly insufficient, and the only way I've seen that boss beaten, is by graveyard-zerging him.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »

But without the tanks...

Oh God, the first Dwarven PQ is terrible, whatever ironbreakers are around, always end up being terribly insufficient, and the only way I've seen that boss beaten, is by graveyard-zerging him.

First Chaos PQ is pretty sweet with a big daemon suddenly appearing and tearing shit up.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

But without the tanks...

Going to the Dark Elf lands on my Blorc has made me plenty of friends.

New topic: How hard exactly is the Saracellum? I heard there are multiple branches, is it worth it to at least explore them all? I've got 2 friends, and we're all around level 15-16. Could we at least beat some of them?

Toothy on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Morkath wrote: »
    Question on tome unlocks;

Is it possible/how do you unlock the "complete a dark elf scenario" as a high elf? I've done Khaines Embrace and Phoenix Gate multiple times and nothing. Is it refering to some other scenario?

Also does anyone know how to unlock the "learn about the history of the dark elves" dark elf tome entry also?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Morkath on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The first Greenskin PQ is fantastic, and a good introduction to team mechanics.

Plus, you know, exploding giants.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Ugh can you buy this online and just download it? Best Buy is out of stock and I don't want to take two buses to get to the nearest EB.

Direct2Drive and the EA store should both have it.

Awesome, thanks.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    got my CE in the mail

now to wait 5 years, hope the game is still running and sell it for 600

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Toothy wrote: »

But without the tanks...

Going to the Dark Elf lands on my Blorc has made me plenty of friends.

New topic: How hard exactly is the Saracellum? I heard there are multiple branches, is it worth it to at least explore them all? I've got 2 friends, and we're all around level 15-16. Could we at least beat some of them?

The 13ish wing will be cake for you. The mid range will be a ton of fun but make sure you are ready to keep the tank standing. Those ogres are like little trains, so awesome. (I'm a tank so I enjoyed getting bashed all to hell). The third wing is fine except for the aptly named lass boss. He will humble you with fire. Fire and bugs.

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    ...okay. The reward for my blorc from the Salzenmund is a shield. That looks like a huge-ass choppa. So I look like I dualwield. Awesome!

Echo on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »

Agreed. It was awesome!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The thing about the PQ's is that it expects you to kinda act like a group. So you can have all the tanks in the world, but without healers, it becomes a tough thing for an individual to survive.

I found that some tough PQ's went much easier when an actual group formed up.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bitstream wrote: »

Agreed. It was awesome!
    I'm playing Destruction right now, so I know the PQ you guys are talking about. And I also believe I'm correct when I say that if you roll an Empire toon on a different server and see their first PQ, you will realize you've been getting ripped off and simply didn't know it. Seriously, the entrance the end boss makes into that PQ is fucking fantastic, and nothing anywhere in Tier 1 Destruction side comes close.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    Which one are you talking about, I forget.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So far im having alot of fun with this game and tempting my more PvP focused friends with it. When I told them you could level completely through PvP or PvE their jaws dropped. We're so used to PvP being an afterthought or a side project. Its refreshing to have a game that gives you a true choice on how to play it. I myself use a mixture of both. I quest and do the PQ's but Im always queued for a scenario and Im always going into the RvR areas to hunt stunties down and make sure the objectives stay under Destro control.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have any of you guys messed around in gunbad yet? I found the place pretty rough at 22/23 with a single group, but man the rewards are amazing, and I'm pretty sure the drop rate on blues is completely fucked there, since it was literally raining blues in one wing.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    The thing about the PQ's is that it expects you to kinda act like a group. So you can have all the tanks in the world, but without healers, it becomes a tough thing for an individual to survive.

I found that some tough PQ's went much easier when an actual group formed up.

I still haven't been able to do the PQ rightoutside chrace in HE land. The one with the orcs attacking the bolt throwers.

Has anyone managed to get to the third stage on this yet? I went in as a level 16 SW with 5 other guys actually appropriate to it's level, and we still got rolled on the second part. I took out one group of 10, but the other two groups rolled the other guys, and then converged on my remaining bolt thrower.

It's kind of sad, I can solo all of the PQ's before, and a couple after this one, but man, Ork WAAAAGH's are just not a joke.

Morkath on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    irongob1.jpg

irongob2.jpg

Yeah, that's my shield.

Echo on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's awesome.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is the awesomest shield. Where do I get one?

Also Im level 8 and still havent gotten shoulders. Ive seen dudes my level with shoulders and Im pretty sure I saw a level 6-7 blorc have them.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Nice!

I still like the Dwarf skull my Squig Herder hauls around in his offhand.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That is the awesomest shield. Where do I get one?

Also Im level 8 and still havent gotten shoulders. Ive seen dudes my level with shoulders and Im pretty sure I saw a level 6-7 blorc have them.

Get a character to 15, then send them back to your level 8 guy.

Alternatively, get very luck and get them to drop heh. Helms/Cloaks/Shoulders are pretty rare up until 12 or 13, and stay pretty uncommon even up into 17. They will start appearing as influence/quest rewards though.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shoulders, helmets, and cloaks are pretty random. PQs and RvR vendors don't offer them at any reasonable level, so the best way to get them is either to randomly find them as a drop (ha!) or keep an eye out in the guild channel for others who have found them and are trying to get rid of them. This works especially well in TSM since there are so goddamn many of us. If it weren't for guild peeps I don't think my level 14 Chosen would have a helmet yet at all.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    by the middle of tier 2 you can't complete a quest without a joke shoulder/helmet option for a reward.

I say joke because I have like 20 helmets, all useless.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I detect another attempt to mimic WOW. From memory, in WOW I don't think you receive shoulders 'til Level 15 and Helms until Level 20.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    does someone know why the hatchet trophy I have which goes on my belt doesn't show up at all? No matter what position I switch to, it doesn't show up.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    egads, how dare they mimic WoW!

/account canceled

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hint: That concept was taken from many games before WoW.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I detect defensiveness. Deploying orbital lasers. Commence firing once target is locked.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    egads, how dare they mimic WoW!

/account canceled

Not to mention the fact you CAN get all three at like level 8, it's just a bit of luck to see a drop before you out-level that area.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fanboy shields activated.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Got my shoulders as a drop during a Chapter 4 PQ, as it happens. Have not seen another since but when I peek ahead in the Tome of Enlightenment I see some Influence rewards coming up.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In Ultima Online you couldn't wear platemail until you had 90 strength.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I stayed up until 2am this morning, pushing myself to level 20.

Now I freaking gyrocopter around everywhere... *WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRR*

Oh by the way, if any players are planning on rolling Order on Monolith, we have a guild called Chains of Honor there. My character name is Shinzul, so feel free to shoot me a tell if you're interested!

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Which one are you talking about, I forget.
    Me? I was talking about the very first Empire PQ, the one where a giant ogre comes stomping out of the trees, knocking two of them to the ground. I imagine all of the Chapter 1 PQs are designed to be memorable, but some pull it off better than others. That first Empire PQ is the one that had the best execution of that design goal by far, out of the ones I have seen. The Greenskin Chap. 1 PQ is pretty cool, but I noticed a lot of animation keyframing issues when the giant picks up and carries the bomb, and that detracted from the experience for me.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    In Ultima Online you couldn't wear platemail until you had 90 strength.

And in D&D... you all know where this is going.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hint: That concept was taken from many games before WoW.
    What are you talking about? Before WoW, there were no games, they invented everything from whole cloth, those wizards of Blizzard. Also, we have always been at war with Eastasia.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You only get the airship on the fourth cd.

What?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been gone since page 24 or something.

It is very important to me to convince people of the error of their ways; my wife and a friend whom I've known since I was 9 (I'm 26) play WoW and I've convinced neither of them. But I'm not playing WoW again, no matter what. I wanted them to have a clear explanation as to why I've left and why they should join me. I figure many others are having similar problems.

Thus, I've written a post as to why WAR is better than WoW from a WoW perspective. If you don't need to convince anyone, it'll bore you, but if you need help explaining the why from an exhaustive perspective, I recommend. My own post. Yeah.

Bon appetit, I hope.

Etelmik on
This discussion has been closed.