As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

• Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Hint: That concept was taken from many games before WoW.
    What are you talking about? Before WoW, there were no games, they invented everything from whole cloth, those wizards of Blizzard. Also, we have always been at war with Eastasia.

2 + 2 = 5

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was in Troll Country last night. People were zerging the Felde field PQ with like 20 people; it was ridiculous. So, i farmed influence from another PQ and on my way back to pick up the influence rewards saw that the whole lot of them had been routed by the endboss. The remaining people were focus firing on some meaningless plaguebringer champion while the hero (who was the only thing that needed killing to beat the PQ) was running around murdering people.

What usually causes this to happen is when some squishie ends up with aggro, panics, and runs. The boss tethers, regens to full health, and wails on someone random. By now everyone is strung out, there is no healing, and the whole thing falls apart like the US economy. So sad.

Often times (not always) when I'm grinding a stage 1 PQ for influence, a bunch of people come by and join in when the stage is about done. At the end, I have by far the largest contribution and end up with a nifty blue bag. This is assisted by end bosses who have a PBAOE attack that slaughters all the melee people.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good read, Etelmik. Well-thought out and reasoned. You should add it as a link in your sig.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Etelmik wrote: »
    I've been gone since page 24 or something.

It is very important to me to convince people of the error of their ways; my wife and a friend whom I've known since I was 9 (I'm 26) play WoW and I've convinced neither of them. But I'm not playing WoW again, no matter what. I wanted them to have a clear explanation as to why I've left and why they should join me. I figure many others are having similar problems.

Thus, I've written a post as to why WAR is better than WoW from a WoW perspective. If you don't need to convince anyone, it'll bore you, but if you need help explaining the why from an exhaustive perspective, I recommend. My own post. Yeah.

Bon appetit, I hope.
    Good point about the Red "this is where the quest is, dumbass" Marks on the map. A true MMO innovation.

Fairchild on
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I detect another attempt to mimic WOW. From memory, in WOW I don't think you receive shoulders 'til Level 15 and Helms until Level 20.

The very first mob I killed on my zealot yielded a pair of green level 1 shoulders.

For a Chosen.

Useful!

Ryokaze on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    I detect another attempt to mimic WOW. From memory, in WOW I don't think you receive shoulders 'til Level 15 and Helms until Level 20.

The very first mob I killed on my zealot yielded a pair of green level 1 shoulders.

For a Chosen.

Useful!

My White Lion found two WL-only shoulder pieces while killing mobs for the first quest.

I think they're dead foxes, but I'm not positive.

MrMonroe on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Etelmik wrote: »
    I've been gone since page 24 or something.

It is very important to me to convince people of the error of their ways; my wife and a friend whom I've known since I was 9 (I'm 26) play WoW and I've convinced neither of them. But I'm not playing WoW again, no matter what. I wanted them to have a clear explanation as to why I've left and why they should join me. I figure many others are having similar problems.

Thus, I've written a post as to why WAR is better than WoW from a WoW perspective. If you don't need to convince anyone, it'll bore you, but if you need help explaining the why from an exhaustive perspective, I recommend. My own post. Yeah.

Bon appetit, I hope.
    Good point about the Red "this is where the quest is, dumbass" Marks on the map. A true MMO innovation.

That CoH had (for missions) 1 year before WoW launched.

Accualt on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A good read Etelmik, though I think one point you quickly gloss over "Perhaps it's only WoW with a better PVP system, with a handful of features being an improvement" is fairly true. Sure you're gaining experience in scenarios right off the bat, but right off the bat, the scenarios aren't very fun.

"Another realization: WAR brings people together, if not personally. There is no penalty, no reason not to be in groups."

Absolutely, but the problem of WoW arises here, you're being brought together with retards. I think the potential for these game is really high, probably higher than WoW, but that potential relies far more on having a solid group of people any time you're playing the game, than WoW does.

Edit: God, if only WoW could assimilate the red quest area function, and also the little arrows on the sphere under your feet that point towards your target. Those are two terribly great features.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, I bought WAR on Saturday, mostly just to see what its about since I'm a bit bored with WoW these days since my guild halted raids till WotLK comes out. My shaman and I are getting along swell, rank 6 or 7 I think. The first couple public quests were pretty cool, but I think I may have picked a bad server as far as population goes. After hitting rank 2 and finding the scenario button next to my minimap, I've been in queue for the rvr scenario and still haven't gotten in yet. :(

Just wanted to know if this is a common occurance on other servers or is this just a Sea of Claws (my server) problem?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited September 2008
    Well, I bought WAR on Saturday, mostly just to see what its about since I'm a bit bored with WoW these days since my guild halted raids till WotLK comes out. My shaman and I are getting along swell, rank 6 or 7 I think. The first couple public quests were pretty cool, but I think I may have picked a bad server as far as population goes. After hitting rank 2 and finding the scenario button next to my minimap, I've been in queue for the rvr scenario and still haven't gotten in yet. :(

Just wanted to know if this is a common occurance on other servers or is this just a Sea of Claws (my server) problem?

On opening day for Red Eye Mountain, the queues were completely broken and wouldn't pop for anyone, but that was fixed in the next couple days. Maybe your server was experiencing a similar issue?

Ryokaze on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

It depends on the time of day. In the server listing, what is your population listed as? TSM's server is almost always high pop.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • HoberShortHoberShort Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hazywater wrote: »
    I was in Troll Country last night. People were zerging the Felde field PQ with like 20 people; it was ridiculous. So, i farmed influence from another PQ and on my way back to pick up the influence rewards saw that the whole lot of them had been routed by the endboss. The remaining people were focus firing on some meaningless plaguebringer champion while the hero (who was the only thing that needed killing to beat the PQ) was running around murdering people.

What usually causes this to happen is when some squishie ends up with aggro, panics, and runs. The boss tethers, regens to full health, and wails on someone random. By now everyone is strung out, there is no healing, and the whole thing falls apart like the US economy. So sad.

Actually, if it's the same one that I'm thinking of, that PQ is just obscenely difficult. The boss is Valgar the Leper, a 13-Hero who has 1-2 13-Hero minions. I want to say Valgar has some kind of AoE, not to mention the field still being full of 13-Champions from Stage 2 of the PQ. Jump on the boss, the minions run around and murder your squad. Those that have the foresight to run will mostly get mopped up by the champions and then the group is shattered.

And then he sits there for 10 minutes until he resets.

HoberShort on
    "Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." -Raph Koster
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Some PQs are horribly unbalanced or just plain impossible with less than 10+ people.

Echo on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HoberShort wrote: »
    hazywater wrote: »

Actually, if it's the same one that I'm thinking of, that PQ is just obscenely difficult. The boss is Valgar the Leper, a 13-Hero who has 1-2 13-Hero minions. I want to say Valgar has some kind of AoE, not to mention the field still being full of 13-Champions from Stage 2 of the PQ. Jump on the boss, the minions run around and murder your squad. Those that have the foresight to run will mostly get mopped up by the champions and then the group is shattered.

And then he sits there for 10 minutes until he resets.

I hate that PQ so much. It's just a group-ender.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Some PQs are horribly unbalanced or just plain impossible without a competent group.

Unknown User on
  • EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Absolutely, but the problem of WoW arises here, you're being brought together with retards. I think the potential for these game is really high, probably higher than WoW, but that potential relies far more on having a solid group of people any time you're playing the game, than WoW does.

That's one thing I didn't mention, and I'll probably write about it for GSW. It worries me, but I'm not as worried as I was before:

--Off the bat, they allowed cloning of characters. Cloning. Duplication.
    --They've discussed giving awards and other incentives for people to join lower-pop sides on certain servers. The fact they've already got ideas in place is a very good sign; they're committed to making sure no one's left out to dry, the way Blizzard sometimes does.
    --Many of the servers are already pretty damn busy; the combat's so fun that the growth will work.
    --They cut the cities not because they aren't meant to be there, but because they want to encourage togetherness and the "us vs. them" mentality. No Thunder Bluffs to raid here.

What will be hardest, I think, is expansion and making new servers. Cloning is the only idea I can think of, and even that's not going to be a cure-all.

Also, per Hiryu, I changed the link to my blog to the link to the post.

Etelmik on
    edited September 2008
    Of all the classes, are there one or two specifically that might be the most useful to really early Scenarios, when outlevelled by everyone else? I'm thinking Tanks in general could be good because you're still tough and able to collide into other players regardless of level or equipment. Alternatively, maybe a healer, because with proper support, you could just keep throwing out heals, and get along without needing your support root or snare abilities as much as dps might?

Is Averheim still getting raped in RvR by Destruction?

Septus on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Some PQs are horribly unbalanced or just plain impossible without a competent group.

Well, some you just can't do in time even with a competent group unless you have enough bodies.

Echo on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Figgy wrote: »

It depends on the time of day. In the server listing, what is your population listed as? TSM's server is almost always high pop.

I'll have to check next time I log on. When I chose my server, it was like 6am on Sunday EST (I had just let it download overnight) so all the servers were low pop.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey what about that PQ in high elf lands where the undead hero boss has like a trillion hp and an enrage timer

because you seriously would need at least 15 people for that one, but no one seems to do the higher level elf lands and its in the middle of nowhere so good luck with that.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2008
    The hardest PQ we've done so far is one in Marshes of Madness, with the bear Hero and the dwarf hero, and their two healer friends. The bear is a beast and a half, and we just had a DoK tank the dwarf. It took a long time to get him down at that level though.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    There's one PQ in chapter 9 dark elf that has a boss with a pretty heft AE, $texas HP, and there's an NPC that is pretty fragile, can't be healed, and fails the quest if you let her die. I don't think we ever even got the boss to 75% before the npc died.

Ryokaze on
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How bout them PQ's with Lords as bosses...

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The biggest problem with PQ's is that unless it's tremendously easy or you have a tremendous amount of people, it's a lot harder for the races that don't have a tank. I speak, obviously, of Dark Elves and Empire, who are depending on DoK's and WP's for their tanking and healing. If you're lacking either or lacking a huge number of people it's pretty difficult at times.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The biggest problem with PQ's is that unless it's tremendously easy or you have a tremendous amount of people, it's a lot harder for the races that don't have a tank. I speak, obviously, of Dark Elves and Empire, who are depending on DoK's and WP's for their tanking and healing. If you're lacking either or lacking a huge number of people it's pretty difficult at times.

People who roll tanks and travel to those areas make a lot of friends fast.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
    edited September 2008
    IGN is amazing...
    I have noticed a small bug or two, but nothing that's game breaking. One of these bugs involved getting a quest offered again and again, even though I had accomplished it twice. No biggie, I just ignored it the third time. Another bug had some NPCs falling through some stairs, but it wasn't critical; these were just background NPCs.

$5 says it was either one of the Kill Collectors or one of the traveling repeatable quest givers and not a bug at all.

Accualt on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Dark Elves are well and truly screwed. I mean... not only do they not have a tank, but their only healer is the DoK, who has to be in melee range to be effective at all. They are serviceable tanks at low levels, but I'm sure that doesn't last forever.

You'd think Empire might have the same problems, seeing as how they have the same class make-up as Dark Elves, but they avoid it by having the most popular race pairing (EvC) meaning all the other races flock to their lands, erasing their racial weakness.

Toxic Pickle on
  • HoberShortHoberShort Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    IGN is amazing...
    I have noticed a small bug or two, but nothing that's game breaking. One of these bugs involved getting a quest offered again and again, even though I had accomplished it twice. No biggie, I just ignored it the third time. Another bug had some NPCs falling through some stairs, but it wasn't critical; these were just background NPCs.

$5 says it was either one of the Kill Collectors or one of the traveling repeatable quest givers and not a bug at all.

"Guys, I found this trick to level super-fast: You get these RVR quests over and over from the warcamps and just do scenarios and open RVR and get amazing amounts of XP! It's like leveling on easy mode!"

"And ... ?"

HoberShort on
    "Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." -Raph Koster
    edited September 2008
    If I make a Chosen, I will probably have to go make the trek to Ulthuan. I think I can handle levelling in an area with a giant black-spiked foreboding fortress in the background.

Septus on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Dark Elves are well and truly screwed. I mean... not only do they not have a tank, but their only healer is the DoK, who has to be in melee range to be effective at all. They are serviceable tanks at low levels, but I'm sure that doesn't last forever.

You'd think Empire might have the same problems, seeing as how they have the same class make-up as Dark Elves, but they avoid it by having the most popular race pairing (EvC) meaning all the other races flock to their lands, erasing their racial weakness.

I do think that removing the tanks and melee DPS people has hurt the game a teeny bit, ranged characters seem to be way more common than up close characters right now and the strategic placement aspect of the game really requires that there be tanks, and melee DPS trying to get through the tanks to get to the ranged DPS and healers.

I do love how long you last in the game though, and that they really reward surviving an encounter. So much more strategy than in WoW where you would just run in and DPS then die 20 seconds later.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    does someone know why the hatchet trophy I have which goes on my belt doesn't show up at all? No matter what position I switch to, it doesn't show up.

Just wondering if anybody had an answer to this? Been wondering since beta.

iguanacus on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    does someone know why the hatchet trophy I have which goes on my belt doesn't show up at all? No matter what position I switch to, it doesn't show up.

Just wondering if anybody had an answer to this? Been wondering since beta.

That hatchet trophy is broke. I have had it on several characters and it just doesn't show up at all.

Toxic Pickle on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »

I do think that removing the tanks and melee DPS people has hurt the game a teeny bit, ranged characters seem to be way more common than up close characters right now and the strategic placement aspect of the game really requires that there be tanks, and melee DPS trying to get through the tanks to get to the ranged DPS and healers.

Yup, although I think they did chose the lesser of two evils: slightly unbalanced races (but factions balanced) versus 3 classes that were un-fun and not working. While those people that kept up with information would know these classes would be tweaked, many people that would buy the game would create a Black Guard, Choppa or Hammerer and then give up on the game having no fun at all with the class.

Luckily they said they will be back and hopefully soon. I can't wait! Mainly for more tank classes and more Orcs! Also, still hoping for Troll Slayer instead of a Hammerer (although I can kind of understand why they would keep Slayers to NPCs)

Timmer on
    edited September 2008
    I think the missing Tanks hurt a lot in the PvE side of the game while the missing mDPS hurts in the early RvR. I have a feeling Choppas would have been the paper to IB's rock.

Accualt on
  • MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think the missing Tanks hurt a lot in the PvE side of the game while the missing mDPS hurts in the early RvR. I have a feeling Choppas would have been the paper to IB's rock.

As in the little bearded rock would burst right through the paper and hit the squig herder behind it right?

Munacra on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That happens already in the T2 scenarios. If the Ironbreaker isn't beating on me then the Witch Herder is. Bastards.

Fairchild on
    edited September 2008
    Sometimes I am forced to curl up into a ball in the corner and babble some form of insanity when I remember that I too once worked for IGN Vault, and this was somehow acceptable.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008

I just really reckon the game would work nicer with some more people in the thick of the fighting, and adding hammerers, choppas, and Knights of the Blazing sun would have done that.

I think what I would actually have done is made them clones of the other mDPS and tanking classes, and then changed them to be what they should be afterwards.

tbloxham on
    edited September 2008
    That happens already in the T2 scenarios. If the Ironbreaker isn't beating on me then the Witch Herder is. Bastards.

Witch Hunter, Squig Herder.

A witch herder would attack you with a pack of trained battle witches which, while amusing, is not quite the point of the class :)

tbloxham on
    edited September 2008
    I think they're going to just purge all documentation that the KotBS ever existed.

I mean when they put Brettonians in game, they don't want to share the market of righteous plate-wearing jerks.

Unknown User on
This discussion has been closed.