As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Witch Hunter, Squig Herder.

A witch herder would attack you with a pack of trained battle witches which, while amusing, is not quite the point of the class :)
    Well dang sign me up for that.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think what I would actually have done is made them clones of the other mDPS and tanking classes, and then changed them to be what they should be afterwards.

Agreed in that it's personally desirable, but that's not practical.

The sad truth is they had to drop the 4 because they were running out of time that they'd have to grab people away from WoW while they were bored and WoTLK-less.

Etelmik on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just really reckon the game would work nicer with some more people in the thick of the fighting, and adding hammerers, choppas, and Knights of the Blazing sun would have done that.

I think what I would actually have done is made them clones of the other mDPS and tanking classes, and then changed them to be what they should be afterwards.
    I kinda agree with you, there are some definite gaps in the racial pairings caused by those classes' absence. That is essentially what Blizzard did- publish the game and fix Hunters, Warlocks, Warriors and Shamans later.

What we don't now is just how far along they were not before Mythic pulled the plug.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Etelmik wrote: »

The sad truth is they had to drop the 4 because they were running out of time that they'd have to grab people away from WoW while they were bored and WoTLK-less.
    Yup. The same decision to say, "F_ck it, let's go with what we've got" is what doomed AOC but WAR is a much more solid product. I hope.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    Out of the 4 classes they dropped; 2 sucked, 1 was a complete gimp and 1 was amazingly overpowered.

Personally I would have dropped them too, and shuffled them in when they were ready for prime time instead of making people suffer for months until they got fixed.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    Out of the 4 classes they dropped; 2 sucked, 1 was a complete gimp and 1 was amazingly overpowered.

Personally I would have dropped them too, and shuffled them in when they were ready for prime time instead of making people suffer for months until they got fixed.

Which classes were which?

shryke on
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    shryke wrote: »

Yes, I curious. I'm guessing one of the tanks was over powered.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Etelmik wrote: »

Yup. The same decision to say, "F_ck it, let's go with what we've got" is what doomed AOC but WAR is a much more solid product. I hope.

The difference is that AoC left the broken stuff in (everything levels 60-80). If that game had shipped with a level cap of 60 and they'd redistributed the effort in doing half-assed zones for 60-80 into polish it would have been a much better game.

zilo on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yathrin wrote: »

I believe:
    2 sucked = Hammerers / Choppas
    1 gimp = Black Guard
    1 awesome = KotBS

(I could have tanks backwards but I've never heard a good thing about the BG -- I think it was a weird twist on the IB but didn't work quite right and every source said H/Choppas were flat un-fun in their mechanic).

Timmer on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Timmer wrote: »

I believe:
    2 sucked = Hammerers / Choppas
    1 gimp = Black Guard
    1 awesome = KotBS

(I could have tanks backwards but I've never heard a good thing about the BG -- I think it was a weird twist on the IB but didn't work quite right and every source said H/Choppas were flat un-fun in their mechanic).

As far as I remember BGs were never in at all. They could never get them to work properly.

shryke on
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As far as I remember BGs were never in at all. They could never get them to work properly.

Maybe that's what he meant by "gimp"?

Etelmik on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Blackguards never made it into anything. KotBS were massively overpowered however (only one team with a runspeed aura in a pvp game? HAHAHAHAHA)

kildy on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What I would give for a runspeed aura. What I would give.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    What I would give for a runspeed aura. What I would give.

Whatever you have, has already been taken by Tzeentch.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Emskrank would be more fun if it wasn't just one side pushing the other back to their base and standing there ganking anyone that runs out.

Echo on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The hammerer and choppa were the vengeance DPS correct? So, when the eneamy hit you or your friends, you did more damage to them? And the problem was that it felt out of your control.

The KotBS and Black Gaurd were the friendly aura tanks though? So they had special buffs to their team to make them swifter and so forth?

edit - Oh, and I just realized when they will put some of them back in. November 13th. "Hey everyone, WoW may have one new class for you try out today. We have 4!" Blunt the first day trying stuff out switch back to WoW. Keep people playing for a few days and the big thrill of exploring new areas will come back off WoW and we will be back to raid schedules and PvP grind and more people will stick with the new kid on the block, WAR.

Also, have people noticed that in WAR people aren't always talking in WoW speak and about their WoW characters. In AoC everyone was always going "Whats that skill for necromancers thats kinda like Curse of Agony..." and so forth. It really feels totally different, espescially once you see that PvP takes time and thinking, not just 1 shotting.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want a Black Guard just so I can be encased in a different type of black menacing armor.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Emskrank does get old that way, but the Tier 2 (and up) areas are way more dynamic with keeps and such.

I had some extremely fun fights in Emskrank though, when Order would get together and push into the town to try and take the flags. The most frustrating thing for me (besides no healers) was the fact that those heroic NPCs would patrol up out of Order's warcamp right to the very border of the town, which those knobs would use as cover to get into town themselves (because they could bombard us with little chance of retaliation). Destruction's patrollers just seem to go up and down the hill leading away from Emskrank, nowhere near the town border. Plus our cannon placement is shit.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    The thing about the PQ's is that it expects you to kinda act like a group. So you can have all the tanks in the world, but without healers, it becomes a tough thing for an individual to survive.

I found that some tough PQ's went much easier when an actual group formed up.

It is much easier to heal you if you are in my group, trying to click you thru a dragon and the melee standing around you is not so fun. I usually end up being the group leader in my pqs. I have an insane amount of fun throwing dots, casting my instant dd, then aoeing, all the while probably tanking something (healing aggro without detaunt or a decent tank), spamming invites (do some people just not understand open party?), and healing the entire place.

Played a lot in beta, just started playing in release. Last night i found myself in a TSM scenario. Healing in a scenario really does turn the tide of battle. In that single pq i went up 4 renown ranks at lvl 5. Awesome fun. Now I'm in TSM and loving it.

intelnavi on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Munacra wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »
    I think the missing Tanks hurt a lot in the PvE side of the game while the missing mDPS hurts in the early RvR. I have a feeling Choppas would have been the paper to IB's rock.

As in the little bearded rock would burst right through the paper and hit the squig herder behind it right?

That's right. Tanks > MDPS in this game.

It doesn't matter what your DPS is if you can't hit them.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The hammerer and choppa were the vengeance DPS correct? So, when the eneamy hit you or your friends, you did more damage to them? And the problem was that it felt out of your control.
    I believe something like that, yup.
    The KotBS and Black Gaurd were the friendly aura tanks though? So they had special buffs to their team to make them swifter and so forth?
    KotBS = Chosen mirror (auras)
    Black Guard = Iron Breaker (grudge mechanic, although I think it was supposed to be a little different from IB's)

Timmer on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

edit - Oh, and I just realized when they will put some of them back in. November 13th. "Hey everyone, WoW may have one new class for you try out today. We have 4!" Blunt the first day trying stuff out switch back to WoW. Keep people playing for a few days and the big thrill of exploring new areas will come back off WoW and we will be back to raid schedules and PvP grind and more people will stick with the new kid on the block, WAR.

Also, have people noticed that in WAR people aren't always talking in WoW speak and about their WoW characters. In AoC everyone was always going "Whats that skill for necromancers thats kinda like Curse of Agony..." and so forth. It really feels totally different, espescially once you see that PvP takes time and thinking, not just 1 shotting.

BG mechanics were never released. KotBS were friendly aura tanks that opposed Chosen. Same aura mechanic, different effects. At the time, chosen auras didn't have friendly benefits as well.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Emskrank would be more fun if it wasn't just one side pushing the other back to their base and standing there ganking anyone that runs out.

I don't know; I find this doesn't work. If Order is smart they won't come out and they'll just use the cannon -- when we did this we (Destruction) eventually (after a few minutes, tired of being bombed and NPC'd to death) dropped back to the flags. I thought this worked well to keep Destruction from standing right at the base.

So far I've had a blast RvRing there.

Timmer on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Coppa's worked off a berserk mechanic from what the warwiki says. They would gain berserk as they stayed in the fight. The longer they were fighting, the more berserk they went, and the more moves they unlocked. But it didn't work to well for a number of reasons from what I understand. But I think they couldn't get the mechanic in balance.

Black Guard kinda suffered from the same thing I think. They had Hate, and hate only built up while he was being hit. You would use hate to cast your more powerful ability's. They probably couldn't figure out a fair system for when he wasn't tanking.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    uuh, KotBS sucked, anyone who played one in beta will tell you that. Black Guard is the most imba shit.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    uuh, KotBS sucked, anyone who played one in beta will tell you that. Black Guard is the most imba shit.
    Since I've had others tell me they liked the KotBS I disagree that anyone will tell me they sucked ;)
    (Note: I didn't get into beta until right after their long break so I missed out on the KotBS personally)

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They paled in comparison to the chosen.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Since I've had others tell me they liked the KotBS

did they, by any chance, also think the choppa/hammerer were anything but awful?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They paled in comparison to the chosen.

Probably. For a while everything paled compared to a Chosen (I think that was version 3 though).

I am curious to see what they end up with for the missing classes. KotBS just sounded like they didn't get their abilities balanced -- we know the mechanic works with the Chosen so no big surprises there. BG, again, similar to IB.

But I'm curious what they'll end up with for the H/C careers if they'll tweak the original mechanic or just end up with something totally new. Either way, I look forward to more variety of tanks and more Orcs on the battlefield!

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Since I've had others tell me they liked the KotBS

did they, by any chance, also think the choppa/hammerer were anything but awful?

No. Never heard a good thing about those two.

Timmer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    BG is the opposite of the IB. Instead of building whatever whenever damage is taken, it was whenever damage was done.

Give that a few seconds and you'll see why it was imba.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Personally I hope they put out Blackguard and KoftBS, maybe along with the DE and HE capital cities, first. I don't want them to hold off on putting those two classes in until they've finished all four missing classes because DE PQs really are a bit painful without tanks from other realms showing up. Also I want to hit peopel with bitching Halberds.

On the other hand more Orcs can only be a good thing and Hammerers are the cutest little bad asses I've ever seen.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really really hope they scrap the Hammerer and just call him a fucking Slayer. Whats cooler then a Hammerer? A god damn naked dwarf on a death march! Hes going down, and taking the biggest dudes he can find with him.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really really hope they scrap the Hammerer and just call him a fucking Slayer. Whats cooler then a Hammerer? A god damn naked dwarf on a death march! Hes going down, and taking the biggest dudes he can find with him.

Even the first movie they showed had a Slayer in it...

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The Slayer model and animations are already ingame. You meet one near the beginning of the dwarf area. Fights with 2 axes, has dual wield/spin animations. So hopefully can't be too hard to integrate into the game, assuming a suitable mechanic can be found.

Maybe a mechanic that makes you stronger the more enemies you engage at once? They are death-seekers after all.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Even the first movie they showed had a Slayer in it...

The slayer was everywhere. They had him in the first movie, he was in that awesome art of him fighting a black orc (which they changed to a hammerer), the large wall art in the new intro shows nothing but slayers fighting orcs, and when they hung the Warhammer banner over the Mythic building, it was the old art with a slayer fighting a black orc. They can make it work, and it would would be way more awesome then "generic dwarf with two hammers"

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Finished up chaos ch 7 PQs just now, I'll start in on the Ch 8 ones tomorrow-ish. Unless of course people are doing T2 then.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Who else is on Volkmar destruction? I remember we had a reasonable contingent before the Mouths traipsed off to Ulthuan and left us to the tender mercies of Sturmgrenadier and OTG.

Seriously, Volkmar is terribly unbalanced towards Order. It was 3:1 last night.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

The Slayer model and animations are already ingame. You meet one near the beginning of the dwarf area. Fights with 2 axes, has dual wield/spin animations. So hopefully can't be too hard to integrate into the game, assuming a suitable mechanic can be found.

Maybe a mechanic that makes you stronger the more enemies you engage at once? They are death-seekers after all.

coming up with a mechanic is the hard part I think. But I think they could still use the Hammerer/Choppa mechanic. Slayers love to fight. Its pretty much why there slayers. Beyond the disgraceful things they did, that caused them to go in to self exile, they also can't get enough of a good fight. But I would Imagen them being good at taking out Tanks. Since there all about fighting the biggest and baddest thing in sight.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This goes back a few pages, but I went and picked up a Belkin Nostromo n52te...and I have to say I really like it. I didn't think I would, because I normally hate these kind of gimmicky controllers, but aside from needing to get used to the D-Pad movement, it's been great. I find I have a lot more keys right at my finger tips, and I find I am making use of more of my obscure abilities when they are just a finger tip away.

I am still playing with my setup quite a bit, as far as the bindings are concerned, but so far, I really like it. Plus the ability to record G-15 style macros is great for someone like me, who refuses to get a G-15 because it's not ergo.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.