As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Samba De Amigo! - Monkeys! Maracas! DLC?

mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
This is my first attempt at an OP, and I know they generally tend to be flashy, funny and an all around source of good information - but I'm at work and can't make a couple of those things happen right now. So if this thread ends up staying the place where all Samba stuff goes, I promise to add some pictures and expand the info as it becomes available.

What is Samba De Amigo?

First, theres this:

SAMBA!

Samba de Amigo is pure fun on a disc. Way before the days of Guitar Hero, if you wanted to pretend to play instruments in your home, you only had one choice - buy a Dreamcast and plop down around $80 on some awesome maraca controllers. The maracas worked with some lenses sending a signal down to the mat you stood on. There was a bar towards the front of the mat, and the lenses on the maraca cords could tell how high and low you were holding your maracas after you input your height. It wasn't the most accurate thing in the world, but I'd say it worked almost 75% of the time, and was pretty awesome, because that maracas were actually maracas. You shook them and they made that signature maraca sound.

How do you samba?
A ring of circles appear in the screen. If you split that ring down the center, you have 3 circles per side. Balls come out of the center of the ring, and head towards a circle. Say a ball is headed for the upper right. You take your right arm, raise it up high (and youll see the circle change slightly, to indicate the maraca is high enough) and shake it as the ball hits the center. Hooray, you got some points!

Now the skill comes in when you have balls flying to the right and left at the same time, at oppisite heights. It creates some sweet moves as you raise one arm while lowering the other, and shake to the beats. When the balls are red, you just keep on shakin' till the stop. Usually, I would also lean back and yell "Aiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiai!".

There's also 'poses'! A little stick figure will show up in the ring, holding his/her maracas in some awesome way. Maybe both over the head, maybe one up one down, who knows! Copy that pose and hold it for some points! Japan's "Samba de Amigo ver 2000" (the YEAR 2000), incorporated movement to these poses. The stick man would sway his arms and swing them around, passing through the circles in the ring, and you'd have to copy at the same speed. Due to the sensors thriving on your maracas staying above them, this was pretty impossible, as they'd usually lose you when you moved your right hand to the left side, and vice versa.

What about this wii version?
To be honest, I'm lacking some research here. All I know is it's announced, and I haven't seen anything that suggests we'll be using anything other than wiimotes and nunchucks. I've seen people argue on various message boards that it's going to need TWO wiimotes, but have never seen Sega say that. The sad thing is that there's no talk of actual maracas. With plastic shells like the Wii Zapper and Wii Wheel doing so well, I'd be very shocked and dissapointed if Sega didn't make some Wii-racas. The fact that shaking them produced real sound on the Dreamcast version added so much to the game, in both ease (much like the clicky strum people in GH got used to, hearing the maraca match the music made it easier!), and just overall awesome. Pretending to maraca without hearing anything may suck.

Some more info from an IGN article about playing the game mentions that vibration replaces the maraca sound, and that - as always - your Mii's are around! Also, the multi-player that I never could afford to play returns, including the mode called "Love Love". If I remember the description from the manual correctly, you were supposed to play a song along with someone, and depending on how well you matched, it would give you a score based on how "in love" you were with that person. Basically, if you both get 100%, you're in love! If you get 100% and your cousing gets 50%, you're NOT in love! And thats the way it should be!
http://wii.ign.com/articles/866/866500p1.html
There are no peripherals for the Wii version, though. Players can use either two Remotes or a Remote and Nunchuk. It might take some getting used to for seasoned Samba players, but we found the control scheme worked well.

Along with the regular shakes there is a "vibrate" mechanic where you agitate the remotes quickly in place. We definitely miss the sound of the old maraca controllers, but the Wii Remotes perform just as well otherwise. The pose moments have been retained, requiring the player to vogue at key moments in the song.

Visually the game looks great. There are a few jaggies but so much zany activity is going on in the background they're easy to forget.

There are several game modes including quick play, multiplayer, and something called "Love Love."

The game supports your Miis and will display them next to your score. Their expressions will change based on your performance, giving you one of three indicators (bad, medium, or good).

Here's some brightly colored screens, thanks to toxk:
samba-de-amigo-wii-pics-20080415111958770_640w.jpg
samba-de-amigo-wii-20080415013750960_640w.jpg
samba-de-amigo-wii-pics-20080415112020894_640w.jpg

Whats this DLC talk? The wii can't do DLC! And why would SAMBA?

I was a Dreamcast nut, which meant I used the web browser, just because. I always had my DC plugged into my phone line, much to the anger of my parents who never got any calls because I was watching a page load slowly, or attempting to play Alien Front Online. But Samba actually HAD SOME DLC! On the Dreamcast! Songs took up 2 spaces on the memory card, and I remember bragging to my friends about how this game would never stop being fun because I'd always have new songs. The songs were every Sega fans dream - we got Open Your Heart, from Sonic Adventure. We had the Burning Racers theme. We had the NiGHTS theme. We got a ton of random japaneese stuff. In fact, here's a full list!
"After Burner" - from After Burner. Composed by Hiroshi "Hiro" Kawaguchi.
"(Angels With) Burning Hearts" - from Burning Rangers. Composed by Naofumi Hataya.
"Dreams Dreams" - from Nights into Dreams.... Composed by Tomoko Sasaki.
"Magical Sound Shower" - from Out Run. Composed by Hiroshi "Hiro" Kawaguchi.
"Opa-Opa!" - from Fantasy Zone. Composed by Hiroshi "Hiro" Kawaguchi.
"Open Your Heart" - from Sonic Adventure. Performed by Crush 40.
"Rent-A-Hero no.1" - from Rent-A-Hero no.1
"Sonic - You Can Do Anything" - from Sonic the Hedgehog CD (original soundtrack). Composed by Masafumi Ogata, vocals by Keiko Utoku.
"Super Sonic Racing" - from Sonic R. composed by Richard Jacques, vocals by T.J. Davis.

And after Version 2000 came out, these popped up (although I never knew that, so I never played them...dammit, Jet Grind songs!)
"It Doesn't Matter" - from Sonic Adventure. Performed by Tony Harnell.
"Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise)" - from Sonic Adventure.
"Let Mom Sleep" - from Jet Set Radio. Composed by Hideki Naganuma.
"Let's Go Away" - from Daytona USA. Composed by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi.
"My Sweet Passion" - from Sonic Adventure. Performed by Nikki Gregoroff.
"We Are Burning Rangers" - from Burning Rangers. Composed by Naofumi Hataya.

So, obviously, Sega likes giving Samba new songs! How does this factor to the wii? A recent box art shot shows the Wii's "Pay To Play" logo on it!

http://kotaku.com/387447/samba-de-amigo-to-get-paid-dlc

What else COULD that mean? Well, I guess you could pay a monthly fee for some online Samba-off's, but I don't see who would ever want to do that. Take all this as a rumor, but the Samba series has pushed the boundries of console DLC in the past!

What tunes are we looking at here?

Hah, funny you should ask that. Just know that the majority are very fun. It ranges from crazy latin hits to songs that make zero sense whatsoever. Ever wanted to add some latin flair to the Rocky theme? You could! Did it sound good? No way! Planning a latin themed wedding? Good thing the "Wedding March" was a stage!

Here's a full list:
"Al Compás Del Mambo" / "Mambo Beat" - Perez Prado
"The Cup of Life" - Ricky Martin
"El Ritmo Tropical (El Bimbo)" - Dixie's Gang
"La Bamba" - Richie Valens
"Livin' la Vida Loca" - Ricky Martin
"Love Lease" - Masao Honda
"Macarena" - Los Del Rio
"Mas Que Nada" - Jorge Ben
"El Mambo" - Solemar
"Samba de Janeiro" - Bellini
"Samba de Amigo (Samba de Janeiro 2000)" - Bellini. Remix of "Samba de Janeiro" by P.K.G. Production
"Soul Bossa Nova" - Quincy Jones
"Take on Me" - Reel Big Fish. Cover of the song by A-Ha.
"Tequila" - The Champs
"The Theme of Inoki" / "Ali Bombaye" - Michael Masser. Originally composed for the 1977 film The Greatest, and modified to be the theme song of wrestler Antonio Inoki.
"Tubthumping" - No Smoking. Cover of the song by Chumbawamba.

Yeah - a mix of some great songs, and some very very odd choices. And some Japaneese stuff that I remember thinking was alright.

Ver 2000 had some awesome hits and some extreme misses with:
"Bamboleo" - Gipsy Kings
"Cha Cha Cuba" - Matt Bianco
"Djobi Djoba" - Gipsy Kings
"Games People Play" - Inner Circle
"The Theme of Rocky" / "Gonna Fly Now" - Bill Conti
"Hot Hot Hot" - Arrow
"Mambo de Verano" - Masaru Setsumaru
"Salome" - Chayanne
"S.O.S. (The Tiger Took My Family)" - Dr. Bombay
"(Mucho Mambo) Sway" - Shaft
"Tout Tout Pour Ma Chérie" - Michel Polnareff
"Vamos a Carnaval" - Tomoko Sasaki and Naofumi Hataya
"Volare" - Gipsy Kings
"Wedding March" - Felix Mendelssohn

"Games People Play" was by far and away the best song in the whole series. Perfection.

No songs for the Wii game have been announced, that I can find.

How do I end OPs?
Seriously. With like a conclusion? Like a paper?

In conclusion, the past Samba games were really fun, and great party games. They had multi-player, but I can't even mention it because I never had the money to get a SECOND maraca/pad set. But just passing the maracas around is awesome. But a samba game WITHOUT maracas would be weak. So I'll keep my eye on the Wii version as things develop.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
mxmarks on

• MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a Dreamcast, but never got Samba de Amigo. Guess this is my excuse now.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Samba de Amigo was awesome, but the maracas were ludicrously rare. Those things started at $80 and never dropped in price. Ebay bids on the things are topping out at $100.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Loved this game so hard.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Here ya go OP:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/866/866500p1.html
    There are no peripherals for the Wii version, though. Players can use either two Remotes or a Remote and Nunchuk. It might take some getting used to for seasoned Samba players, but we found the control scheme worked well.

Along with the regular shakes there is a "vibrate" mechanic where you agitate the remotes quickly in place. We definitely miss the sound of the old maraca controllers, but the Wii Remotes perform just as well otherwise. The pose moments have been retained, requiring the player to vogue at key moments in the song.

Visually the game looks great. There are a few jaggies but so much zany activity is going on in the background they're easy to forget.

There are several game modes including quick play, multiplayer, and something called "Love Love."

The game supports your Miis and will display them next to your score. Their expressions will change based on your performance, giving you one of three indicators (bad, medium, or good).

samba-de-amigo-wii-pics-20080415111958770_640w.jpg
    samba-de-amigo-wii-20080415013750960_640w.jpg
    samba-de-amigo-wii-pics-20080415112020894_640w.jpg

I'm a sucker for music games.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Added to the OP! Thanks Toxk!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How does the wiimote know the heights, though? My only guess is orientation. Point it up, straight ahead, or down. Which would suck because my mid and low positions are usually the same.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man I fucking love Samba. I had a friend who had it and it was awesome.

I'm slightly sad that there's no maracas for Wii, but I'm sure the cost would have driven me away anyway. Definitely gonna grab this one!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm assuming the Wii version, when released, will have substantially more songs. I hope?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No Wii peripherals? There will be after I've bought maracas and cello-taped them to the Wiimote.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Samba De Amigo was among my favorite Dreamcast games, and I never even had the Maracas peripheral. It was just that awesome.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited May 2008
    Now added to the OP (and right here), the BEST TRAILER FOR ANY GAME EVER.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK9qh35rgrc

mxmarks on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder who decided that a monkey with maracas would sell a game?
    SO BOUGHT

4rch3nemy on
    edited May 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

snip

Oh dear god, watch this. WATCH THIS!! MONKEY!!!!

cloudeagle on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    With this and the rumor that Space Channel 5 is Wii-bound, it's becoming a great system for music games, if not the one to beat.

Where's Wii Para Para, Konami?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2008
    So IGN got some hands-on time with it... and it's vastly improved.
    So here's the good news: we've played the latest build of Samba Wii and it's completely brilliant, even at this stage. In fact, we're already shunting this one to the top of our potential Game of the Year list in the UK office (well, this particular writer is and nobody else needs to know). It's that good, and so completely what we wanted from our brand new slab of Samba, this is probably the happiest day of 2008 so far.

So then, our single biggest fear for Samba Wii was quite simply whether the damn thing would actually work with the Wiimote and nunchuck controllers, given the horrors most third-party developers conjure when attempting to wrap their brains around Nintendo's untraditional input devices. When we first saw an early build of Samba Wii a couple of months ago, the answer was a resounding 'no', the game apparently calibrated specifically for use by seizure-prone octopi. How things have changed in that time though – sceptics can rest easy in the knowledge that both the Wiimote and nunchuck work incredibly well.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/882/882877p1.html

cloudeagle on
    edited June 2008
    Well they certainly have this trailer business down, I could see this being the game's intro (video on the right).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191730

1996a7b4.png
    1671f6fc.png

And for those worried about not getting maracas, worry no more

2pyqccl.jpg

If you look closely, it's a full maracas shell, not just some Wii remote topper.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yessss

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was a little weary while reading the OP; then, I watched that there video.

This looks too incredibly fun.

TyrantCow on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've played the original, with the Maracas, loved it. Fun game! Been looking forward to this Wiilease. Finally we should get some songs from ver. 2000, since it was only released in Japan. The maracas package looks awesome!

The same friend who owns the getup I played Samba on also had the Samba Maracas weapon in PSO. They were extremely funny. There was a track or two from Samba de Amigo in the game as well, used during a few silly quests such as a Rappy party.
    Edit:Also...

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited June 2008
    I'm still really excited about this, but its release date seems far too long from now.

The potential maraca sleeves look pretty neat.

brynstar on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

snip

Oh dear god, watch this. WATCH THIS!! MONKEY!!!!

CHIMPANZEES ARE NOT MONKEYS. GOOD DAY SIR.

Also, is the song from the trailer in the game? I like Bond. :D

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited June 2008
    Yes, the song from the OP trailer is in the game, it's practically the game's iconic song as it's the first one listed on easy, heh.

IceBurner on
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how making a thread thats about a video game has to have roughly the same planning and resources as the Normandy invasion.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It just means the OP writer's going out of his way to be specific about the game's contents for people who aren't familiar with it; nothing wrong with that. You can still make a game thread and just have a few lines of text. This is just going the extra mile.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh god I just know I'm going to end up with this game and I will look exactly like that Japanese guy in the video in IceBurner's post.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to note that I have a Dreamcast. I love my Dreamcast. I have Samba. I love Samba. But I never got the maracas because they were too price inhibitive. Thankfully I'll be able to play the game semi-right with Samba Wii.

September can't get here soon enough.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited August 2008
    Tracklist and release date incoming!

58.jpg

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54310
    Gearbox Software's efforts to bring maraca-shaking monkeys to the Wii will be realized when Samba de Amigo hits North American retailers on September 23 and European stores on September 19, publisher Sega has announced.

All-New Wii-Exclusive Songs:
    o Pon de Replay - Rihanna
    o Smooth - Santana*
    o Mambo No. 5 - Lou Bega*
    o Oye Como Va - Santana*
    o Baila Me - Gipsy Kings
    o Do It Well - Jennifer Lopez*
    o Papa Loves Mambo - Perry Como*
    o Mambo No. 8 - Perez Prado
    o Conga - Miami Sound Machine*
    o Low Rider - War
    o Asereje - Las Ketchup*
    o Arriba Allez - Bellini
    o Magalenha - Bellini and Mondonca Do Rio
    o Ran Kan Ran - Tito Puento*
    o Groove Is In the Heart - Dee Lite
    o Jump in the Line - Harry Belafonte*
    o Como Ves - Ozomatli
    o Cha Cha - Chelo
    o Mexican Flyer - Ken Woodman*
    o Borriquito - Charo
    o Un Aguardiente - WaveGroup
    o Solo Tu - WaveGroup
    o Tango With Me - WaveGroup

Returning classic songs from the original Samba de Amigo:
    o Vamos A Carnaval - WaveMaster*
    o Volare - Gypsy Kings
    o Hot Hot Hot - Arrow*
    o Salome - Chayanne*
    o Tubthumping - Chumbawumba*
    o The Cup of Life - R. Martin*
    o Samba de Janeiro - Bellini
    o Mambo Beat - Perez Prado*
    o Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin*
    o Bamboleo - Gipsy Kings
    o Take On Me - Reel Big Fish
    o El Ritmo Tropical - Dixie's Gang*
    o Macarena - Los Del Rio*
    o La Bamba - Ritchie Valens*
    o Tequila - Chuck Rio*
    o Soul Bossa Nova - Quincy Jones
    o Samba De Amigo - Bellini
    o The Theme of Rocky - Bill Conti*
    o Mas Que Nada - Jorge Ben*
    o Sway - Gimbel and Ruiz*
    o El Mambo - Solemar

* Denotes the song is performed by a cover band

:^: , some SC5 love mixed in.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
    edited August 2008
    Nice!

For a while I was afraid that "Cha Cha" was that annoying fucking song beloved by line dancers everywhere (slide to the left! Take it back now y'all!) that I hate with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. But it's apparently not, so yay.

cloudeagle on
    edited August 2008
    September's going to be a busy month for my wallet.

IceBurner on
    edited August 2008
    Mexican Flyer? I just might have to buy this again.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game is sounding REALLY annoying.

Macarena? Thubthumping? Hot hot hot?

I don't think I could stomach it, unfortunately..

4rch3nemy on
    edited August 2008
    It has some real bad songs, but the good ones are fun to play.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2008
    Looks like you can buy maraca shells for your wiimotes.

41Aafx6ss%2BL._SS500_.jpg

For $15. There's an amazon link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Maracas-Nintendo/dp/B001ELEXPW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219333773&sr=8-11

cloudeagle on
    edited August 2008
    Wii Mote Maracas are totally bought, and will be used with every game possible. I need to know if there are beads in the heads of the maracas, so they make the REAL maraca sound, like the DC version.

And I'm telling you all who are on the fence about this game - it will pay for itself 10 times over if you throw a Cinco de Mayo party. My party has gone from meek and quiet to a roaring extravaganza when 2 years ago I pulled out the DC and Samba (and Samba ver.2000!). Margaritas, tequilla, corona and Samba. Best parties ever.

Can not wait for this.

mxmarks on
    edited August 2008
    They're apparently made by Sega, too, making them official. Very cool, I'm getting them.

IceBurner on
  • Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In their full review of the game, IGN criticized the controls, saying they were unreliable. :(

If it's true, it's entirely pathetic. The Wii was seemingly tailor-made for this game, and if Sega can't get it to work properly on the system, Nintendo has a major problem. Bring on Motion Plus!

Syd Lexia on
    edited September 2008
    Syd Lexia wrote: »
    In their full review of the game, IGN criticized the controls, saying they were unreliable. :(

If it's true, it's entirely pathetic. The Wii was seemingly tailor-made for this game, and if Sega can't get it to work properly on the system, Nintendo has a major problem. Bring on Motion Plus!

The game was actually developed by Gearbox. I was a little worried that the controls wouldn't be perfect, but hey, it's a new Samba De Amigo, and I'm buying it, because I'm really happy it's back.

brynstar on
    edited September 2008
    Controls aren't perfect? Sounds just like the original (with maracas). Was still a blast.

IceBurner on
    edited September 2008
    How accurate are the wiimotes? I have the Dreamcast original but I've never been able to find the maracas for a price that isn't $rape.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited September 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Looks like you can buy maraca shells for your wiimotes.

41Aafx6ss%2BL._SS500_.jpg

For $15. There's an amazon link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Maracas-Nintendo/dp/B001ELEXPW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219333773&sr=8-11

Supposedly if you buy it at Best Buy this week you can get these along with it for $5.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png