As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    scenarios are good for xp

you get tons of xp for a win

unfortunately you hardly get anything for a (big) loss. A close loss will still net you good xp, and then there's the repeatable scenario quest and kill quest.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Okay is it just me or is something really fucked up? I logged in and do not see any characters.

Thread title lies. Servers are down.

WELL THAT IS JUST FUCKED!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Teehee, being a level 11 blorc in Chaos T1 = people in Nordenwatch go OH SHI- at the sight of me and haul ass away from there. I just wade in, ignore their melee and punch some bright wizard into pulp.

And leave their fleshy little backs open for my arm of stabbyness.

Great times playing today, hope we can to more RvR!

Yeah. I hope we get some more PAers joining so we can set up a guild and go do coordinated stabbings.

Echo on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really wish the Tome was available offline because I could be reading about all the things I unlocked right now.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I really wish the Tome was available offline because I could be reading about all the things I unlocked right now.

THIS

such a good idea. i would just read all the lore and stuff i've unlocked all day. mmm. warhammer brutal lore.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I've read anything in the tome yet

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I don't think I've read anything in the tome yet

You're missing out. There's some great stuff.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    so i'm actually getting into T3 scenarios and i'm seeing a lot of people around level 30, it's crazy. it will be nice when they start coming up more cause leveling is a lot easier when you can do as many scenarios as you like.

the cool thing about T3 so far is we went around last night to 4 keeps and took them all for 900 renown each, and people got loot from the keep lord.

also, mount gunbad (I think thats what it was) is really awesome. we were getting tons an tons of blues, and the influence rewards are insane! I really hope we do it again tonight.

e: this popped up a little before servers went down
    grudgereports-1.jpg

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Tome of Knowledge is one of the best ideas in WAR, and I fully support Blizzard's inevitable ripping off of it.

KiTA on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dnilb wrote: »
    so i'm actually getting into T3 scenarios and i'm seeing a lot of people around level 30, it's crazy. it will be nice when they start coming up more cause leveling is a lot easier when you can do as many scenarios as you like.

the cool thing about T3 so far is we went around last night to 4 keeps and took them all for 900 renown each, and people got loot from the keep lord.

also, mount gunbad (I think thats what it was) is really awesome. we were getting tons an tons of blues, and the influence rewards are insane! I really hope we do it again tonight.

what level was your group around when you did mt. gunbad?

my roommates were wanting to do it today, but, as the tank, i'm not sure i'll be able to handle it since i'm only 20 (or 21...can't really remember) right now.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ecko wrote: »
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope this isn't re-hashing the same thing, but it's tough to sift through 90+ pages of posting.

Anyways, here I go.

I am having one helluva time leveling my guy. Example: I'm in Greenskin Chapter 11. I do all the quests, and most of the PQ. I proceed to the next zone, only to find that i'm way, way out of my league in relation to the level of the mobs around. Things that yes, I can solo, but just barely. The quests that take you to heavy mob zones are almost impossible. Your aggro radius makes life unbearable.

So I painfully hoof it to another zone's chapter 11, finish it, and now i've gotten a level that's consumate with the next area. It just seems that i'm not getting enough xp to progress me through these chapters, and it's a real pain in the ass to constantly swap between zones. Yes, I'm always in a scenario que, but not many scenario's happen. I'm lucky to get 3 a play session. I do the PQ's, or most of them. Still doesn't seem enough, and sometimes I just don't feel like grinding mobs for the better part of an hour or two.

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm having the same problem. I got to 20 after finishing both Greenskin tier 2 and DE tier 2, but without RvR happening much, it's hard to get that extra oomph in leveling. I'm played a lot less this weekend to give my guildies a chance to catch up and in hopes that scenarios might pop a little more. But of course, when I get back from class, servers are down..

Not sure of your exact situation, but I've noticed that if I return to previous chapters, they sometimes have quests that were not available when I was originally questing there. That might help.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope this isn't re-hashing the same thing, but it's tough to sift through 90+ pages of posting.

Anyways, here I go.

I am having one helluva time leveling my guy. Example: I'm in Greenskin Chapter 11. I do all the quests, and most of the PQ. I proceed to the next zone, only to find that i'm way, way out of my league in relation to the level of the mobs around. Things that yes, I can solo, but just barely. The quests that take you to heavy mob zones are almost impossible. Your aggro radius makes life unbearable.

So I painfully hoof it to another zone's chapter 11, finish it, and now i've gotten a level that's consumate with the next area. It just seems that i'm not getting enough xp to progress me through these chapters, and it's a real pain in the ass to constantly swap between zones. Yes, I'm always in a scenario que, but not many scenario's happen. I'm lucky to get 3 a play session. I do the PQ's, or most of them. Still doesn't seem enough, and sometimes I just don't feel like grinding mobs for the better part of an hour or two.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, I've just finished Barak Varr and am about to move into tier 3, and I'm only level 17, when I should, by all accounts, be level 21. I've done every quest, and have full influence in each chapter, so there aren't really any options other than gaining 4 levels in RvR or going to one of the other races' chapters, neither of which I find to be particularly appealing choices. Don't get me wrong, I love RvR, but I wouldn't want to level exclusively in it. Also I'd like to do the other races' campaigns with a character from their side, instead of taking my orc over there.

In the beta they went back and forth between leveling speed often, so it seems as though they still didn't get it quite right. It is a minor complaint, considering there is still plenty of content in the game, but I personally find it annoying as I really like the chapter structure, and I hate to suddenly break off to do something else because I'm too low level.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    dnilbdnilb Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagnaros wrote: »
    dnilb wrote: »

what level was your group around when you did mt. gunbad?

my roommates were wanting to do it today, but, as the tank, i'm not sure i'll be able to handle it since i'm only 20 (or 21...can't really remember) right now.

we were all around 22, with 2 shamans as healers. didn't really have much of a problem with it unless we accidentaly pulled or agro'd too many.

dnilb on
    dnilb.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd guess being in mid/late Tier 2 or higher yields a low population for RvR right now; considering Mythic said a mix of RvR and PvE is the fastest way to level (and has been, where pop supports it) I could see there being a slowdown for those moving into T3.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I'd guess being in mid/late Tier 2 or higher yields a low population for RvR right now; considering Mythic said a mix of RvR and PvE is the fastest way to level (and has been, where pop supports it) I could see there being a slowdown for those moving into T3.

Nah, t2 is popping fast. T3 in some areas just doesn't exist, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i got more t3 pops in the couple hours i played last night then i did for my entire stay in t2.

Angry on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's not really a problem on my server, since it's the most highly populated one. It's not difficult getting into scenarios (though the lakes are generally still empty), so I plan on at least getting my renown rank to match my level which will probably net me at least a level and a half, maybe two. It's still a bit short of tier 3, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Angry wrote: »
    i got more t3 pops in the couple hours i played last night then i did for my entire stay in t2.

Its tied to the area. Greenskins doesn't for t3, and all the time for 2.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So anyone wanna take bets on the servers crashing at ~8 when people all try to log back in?

Malkor on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    servers are up now <.<

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Servers are up, commence crashing of login server.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    WAAAAAGH

Malkor on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

Its tied to the area. Greenskins doesn't for t3, and all the time for 2.

no what i'm saying is i rushed through t2 before anyone was queueing and now people have caught up.

well a lot have passed me actually. no life losers in tsm.

Angry on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WOO! My HDD is at home. In theory, that means I can play this afternoon some.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dhirsch wrote: »
    So I've tried a few class mechanics, all seem fun. As with other games I face the paralysis of choice.

Candymancers, what do you feel y'all need the most: Tank, damage, or healing?

I suppose we're lacking in licorice, with the last tally of our total showing a teemingness of tender toffee, tasty tarts, and other toothsome treats.

More productively, we do seem to have a bunch of dps, but that's not necessarily the worst thing. With all the nasty -healing effects that show up in the higher tiers, the ability to take down the folks quickly is pretty valuable, especially when assisting/focus firing is happening.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The opening cinematic should really have just been two bright wizards backed by twenty rune priests, AoEing the hell out of everything. That is pretty much how most matches in T2 seem to go right now.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

When you say RvR do you mean scenarios? Cause I didn't think there was hardly any XP connected to actual RvR. Something that really dissapoints me about it. That and it being a total PvE fest most of the time.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ....aaaand the thread goes dead. Hopefully those servers are still up when I get home. I can't wait to waaagh it up tonight.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    HoberShortHoberShort Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i have an n52 and the dpad on it is atrocious. i was relegated to using them as extra buttons and continuing to use a wasd setup (albeit on the n52).

really didn't benefit much from it at all.

The n52 D-pad isn't great, I use it infrequently. It's weapon-switching in TF2 and movement in WoW/WAR. However, I have autorun bound to mouse4 and I steer with the right mouse button. I never have to click stuff because I have so many buttons on the speedpad.

As for it sliding around: stop putting crisco on your game desk and you'll never have that problem. I never have.

However, I got to the point where I could not play WoW without it. I can easily see that happening with WAR and its farrago of different utilities you may need at your fingertips.

HoberShort on
    "Games are made out of smaller games – turtles all the way down, until you hit the game that is so trivial and stupid it isn’t deserving of the name." -Raph Koster
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    After playing a black orc to rank 11, all I have to say is ORCS ORCS ORCS ORCS

Echo on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do Chosen end up "twisting" auras a lot? 'Cause I got enough of that playing a bard in EQ1.

zilo on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, when I first played WoW I got burned out at around 35---which is when before the initial xp bump it started feeling grindy to me, where it seemed like it took a long time before I made any real progress.

I'm getting burnt out on leveling at level 15 in this game. I was trying to push myself to 16 tonight and just started not enjoying myself and logging out. I still like the game a lot, but me being tired of questing and the pace of leveling at this point is a bad sign.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

ahem

gobbos is da biggest an' da best.

edit: and da greenest!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

When you say RvR do you mean scenarios? Cause I didn't think there was hardly any XP connected to actual RvR. Something that really dissapoints me about it. That and it being a total PvE fest most of the time.

Solo PvP kills are worth stupid amounts of exp, they just don't happen terribly often.

Oats on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008

ahem

gobbos is da biggest an' da best.

edit: and da greenest!
    Gobbos ain't the biggest of anything

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know, when I first played WoW I got burned out at around 35---which is when before the initial xp bump it started feeling grindy to me, where it seemed like it took a long time before I made any real progress.

I'm getting burnt out on leveling at level 15 in this game. I was trying to push myself to 16 tonight and just started not enjoying myself and logging out. I still like the game a lot, but me being tired of questing and the pace of leveling at this point is a bad sign.

Agreed. It doesn't help that I look at it with the "PvP game" perspective so the fact that leveling feels so grindy is magnified. On top of that if the server pop doesn't support constant scenarios/PQs you're basically playing a mediocre version of WoW.

They did the game a disservice by spreading everyone out so much. My main interest is keep warfare but since everyone is all over 3 different zones with multiple keeps it hardly ever happens. It just feels like Halaa in WoW. On top of that travel sucks and you can't queue for all scenarios at any given time further reducing the amount of PvP you can get into.

Funneling people into the singular cities at 40 was a fantastic idea if the lower tiers are anything to go by. Spreading people out with choices in a game that's supposed to be about conflict is counter-intuitive and ends up being boring a lot of the time.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    On top of that travel sucks

Exactly. That's where my big problem in the 10-20 level range is. Everything starts spreading out quickly, yet we don't get mounts until the end of that grind. I'm hoping things level out at 20 when I can actually travel a bit easier.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How are you Blorcs finding the Plan system after the early levels? I rolled one up and got to rank 6 last night, enjoyed it a lot, but keeping track of what abilities you can use at what time seems like it could get annoying. Are you finding that at all, or do you pretty much end up with a core set of abilities that you use all the time anyway?

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aldarez wrote: »
    How are you Blorcs finding the Plan system after the early levels? I rolled one up and got to rank 6 last night, enjoyed it a lot, but keeping track of what abilities you can use at what time seems like it could get annoying. Are you finding that at all, or do you pretty much end up with a core set of abilities that you use all the time anyway?

You want to cycle through the plans because alot of the later ones (skull thumper) are free. This gives your AP time to regen. Sure you can spam low ranking ones but it costs a lot of ap. It really depends on the fight. When im tanking though i go through the plans just to keep my armor and toughness buffed. When soloing things die so quick it really does not matter to much.

Detharin on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Voro wrote: »
    FightTest wrote: »
    On top of that travel sucks

Exactly. That's where my big problem in the 10-20 level range is. Everything starts spreading out quickly, yet we don't get mounts until the end of that grind. I'm hoping things level out at 20 when I can actually travel a bit easier.

This is one of many factors that bogs down leveling, and they all build on each other. There are relatively few quests per quest hub, when you do finish the quests they don't give that great of experience, and since there aren't many flight points, getting to the next quest hub means a long walk. There are even some examples where you go to a far away quest hub, just to be sent all the back to the other one

PQ's can help a lot but you have to have the right number of people. Too many people and you get very little experience and influence from the PQ. Too few and it's more reminiscent of grinding, or just not possible to complete.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.