As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales From the Marching Band Field

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I lit the naporeon signal so hopefully he will offer some of his own drum corps tales when he gets online.

edit: ahahahaha

Captain K on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shit K you were in Carolina Crown?

Those are some ugly ass uniforms.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Shit K you were in Carolina Crown?

Those are some ugly ass uniforms.

I did Crown in 2000 and Cadets 2001-2003

Crown seems to change uniforms as often as Phantom Regiment, but they haven't used one I really liked. In 2000 we were rocking some terrible shit, I tell you what.

Captain K on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dudes used to drum on everything in our apartment, didn't matter if it was the walls or tables or my books or my back or whatever

I had enough of marching band/drum corps by the end of that year, for sure

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'd love to try out for a drum corps but I play saxophone.

So no go.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey K, you should grow a 'stache. They are amazing.

I say this with experience, of course.

monsterror on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Usagi, it's funny that you say you avoided college marching band specifically because you were worried it would cut into your beer time.

Most college bands are a thinly veiled excuse to:

--make friends from a pool of 300+ binge drinkers
    --attend enormous, debaucherous marching band keggers
    --be drunk during rehearsals and be obscenely drunk for the entirety of every football gameday

Captain K on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    monsterror the only reason you look good with a stache is because it hides part of your ugly-ass mug

it doesn't mean everyone ELSE is gonna look good with a stache

GOD

(PS. I <3 you.)

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Too many fucking drummers in here.

Saxophonists line up and represent

But no trumpets. Fuck those guys.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

So no go.

One of my good buddies is an alto player, but he learned mellophone specifically to try out for drum corps. He marched Crown in '97 and did Cadets with me in 2001-2002.

If you can grasp the concept of a brass instrument embouchure (not really that tough if you're a half decent musician at all) it seems like sax players make the transition to mellophone pretty well, especially since you've already got fingers most trumpet/french horn players would kill for.

All I'm saying is, don't rule it out.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Guys.

I played the Tuba.

monsterror on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I was being mostly sarcastic K, as my roomie definitely brought those things into our apartment regardless of whether I was in the band or not. I very vaguely remember a ski trip to Canada where not much skiing was done...

I was trying to balance getting an engineering degree, a job, and doing as much yacht racing as possible, so band sort of fell by the wayside as anything other than a spectator sport.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    played the tuba for nigh on ten years myself

I would still be playing it if I owned one, but these days I have a lot of shit I'd rather do with $6,000 than buy a tuba. But if somebody dropped one off on my front porch I'd be honking on it in no time.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    played the tuba for nigh on ten years myself

I would still be playing it if I owned one, but these days I have a lot of shit I'd rather do with $6,000 than buy a tuba. But if somebody dropped one off on my front porch I'd be honking on it in no time.

Hey, when's your birthday?

Also, what are the winning lotto numbers?

monsterror on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    that brings such a lovely mental image

honk that tuba

Usagi on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played clarinet, bass clarinet, and tenor sax in marching band. I wish i had found the tenor earlier, because i rocked the shit out of that things

oh, and never let the school make a music teacher with zero marching experience run the marching band. Bonus points if she has some sort of weird superiority complex and refuses to listen to the students and parents who actually know what the fuck.

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, just the Tuba.

For a year.

In the sixth grade.

Am I still allowed in here?

monsterror on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's cool guys, I was totally first chair like all the time.

monsterror on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

So no go.

One of my good buddies is an alto player, but he learned mellophone specifically to try out for drum corps. He marched Crown in '97 and did Cadets with me in 2001-2002.

If you can grasp the concept of a brass instrument embouchure (not really that tough if you're a half decent musician at all) it seems like sax players make the transition to mellophone pretty well, especially since you've already got fingers most trumpet/french horn players would kill for.

Switching between woodwind and brass can really screw up your embouchure though. My middle school band director has pretty terrible sax tone probably because he learned trumpet, flute, etc. A friend of mine started switching between alto and trombone and started sounding horrible on sax within weeks. I don't really want to do that. I have fiddled with baritone horn though. I can do a C major scale.

Right now I'm just gonna practice the shit out of major and harmonic minor scales and some solos for UNCG auditions. The Sax Studio there is nuts hard to get into.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    There was this one girl, Paula. She was short and fat and stupid and had a piggy face.

She played baritone. The higher bands were desperate for baritone, but she stayed in Varsity (the lowest) because she couldn't actually play.

I tried to help her once. People had been hazing her again. She would shine, get upset, and say something stupid and amusing. The more upset she got, the more amusing she would get. I tried to tell her that this was shy they did it. She got yelled at me, something about her being a unique and beautiful snowflake or some other happy puppy bullshit people are always feeding kids.

When she was a sophomore, someone called he a homosapien. She started crying, and yelled "No I'm not!".

She would always get double fries with lunch, and just shovel them in, two fists at a time. She alwasy got a table to herself because no one, not even her sister, could watch her eat and keep their own food down.

There was this one parade we did every year. It was really short and easy. She decided right at the beginning that it was too hot, so she took off half her uniform and started waling on the sidewalk, in the shade.

She tried to get nurses passes whenever possible, in every class. The nurses always let her stay as long as she wanted. One day, she tried to get one in band because her knee hurt. It was concert season, so she was sitting. Baritone rests on the thigh, but the one opposite the knee she was complaining about. She was denied a pass. A little later, she took the bathroom pass and went to the nurse's office the rest of the period.

sounds like wiggin's soulmate

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    haha Toasty, that's exactly the same story I've heard from so many people around here

"I would have learned a brass instrument for drum corps but instead I focused on my audition for the [woodwind instrument] studio at UNCG"

:D

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    At one competition 2 years ago, one of our trombone players whom everyone hated slipped in a mudhole on the incredibly shitty field and smeared up his nice white uniform and hurt his leg. One other trombone player laughed aloud while playing resulting in a splat and a clarinet player put her clarinet down and bent over laughing at him in the middle of the performance.

We got a Superior.

edit: That's a good thing, right K?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    awesome

Captain K on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

So no go.

Switching between woodwind and brass can really screw up your embouchure though. My middle school band director has pretty terrible sax tone probably because he learned trumpet, flute, etc. A friend of mine started switching between alto and trombone and started sounding horrible on sax within weeks. I don't really want to do that. I have fiddled with baritone horn though. I can do a C major scale.

Right now I'm just gonna practice the shit out of major and harmonic minor scales and some solos for UNCG auditions. The Sax Studio there is nuts hard to get into.

Yeah, transitioning between brass and reed is a bad idea. High brass can sometimes do flute and vice-versa. Both take pursed lips. If you try to do sax and trumpet or mellophone, you'll end up with inferior tone in both. They both take specific, mutually exclusive embouchures. The fingers don't really transfer that well, either.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i used to play trumpet but now i dont but i hang out with all the marching band people anyway because im a theatre faggot

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i was in band in high school.

the best were the field trips. like one time we went to disney world and then we were canceled so we didn't even have to march or play or anything. it was badass, pretty much just let us loose for the entire day.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Some of the fingerings are similar as odd as that sounds. F# on baritone and trumpet is 2nd valve (middle finger) and F# on sax is 123 on left hand and middle finge on right. Similarly E is 12 on same brasses, and 123L 12R on sax.

edit: We are totally going to Disney World in March. Fuck yes. Me and my friend arre hosting a Brawl tourney at the hotels.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

it all depends on what you want to do

In my case, I would have given up just about anything to keep marching drum corps through my ageout year, but everybody's got different priorities.

I haven't played more than a couple of notes on a tuba since 2003 DCI Finals, but I've been teaching high school marching band (as a contracted "Visual Instructor") since 2001. Marching band's really the only thing that's maintained my interest, as far as scholastic band in general goes, so the course I took was the right one for me.

If you're planning on majoring in performance, there's no doubt that focusing on your primary instrument is the way to go. If you want to major in education and be a band director yourself someday... I don't know, I could go either way on that subject.

I think a lot of high school directors get incredible benefit from drum corps experience, but there's certainly a lot of cases that show drum corps experience is in no way guaranteed to translate into effective high school band direction. On the other hand, there's a lot of band directors out there who would probably be better at their jobs if they had marched drum corps, but there's also a ton of folks who do incredible jobs without any corps experience.

Captain K on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some of the fingerings are similar as odd as that sounds. F# on baritone and trumpet is 2nd valve (middle finger) and F# on sax is 123 on left hand and middle finge on right. Similarly E is 12 on same brasses, and 123L 12R on sax.

The fingerings aren't the same as the fingers. Reed has lateral motion on shallow keys. Brass has no lateral motion and deep keys. The purpose and use is also completely different.

Besides, that's mostly coincidence. When you have twelve tones times two and a half to three octaves with multiple variant fingerings, some are going to have a partial similarity.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well I am going to bed

tomorrow I will share more bedtime stories

Captain K on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    let's play 'guess who's fucking gay and also not on aim'

that's right

it's mario luigi kirby

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you're planning on majoring in performance, there's no doubt that focusing on your primary instrument is the way to go. If you want to major in education and be a band director yourself someday... I don't know, I could go either way on that subject.
    Well I guess that's my answer then. I want to major in performance and either minor or double major or something in education or something else. More than likely education though.

I am so nervous about the competition for the Sax Studio though. The best high school alto player in the county just got in this year. He got a 198/200 at All-County which scares the shit out of me. Dude does not get nervous at auditions. Even more so because I have never made All-County. But I think I've been a bit unlucky with that due to 3 absolutely ridiculous alto players making it every year. But now 2 have graduated and the other (a junior) is at NCSA so I have a pretty good shot at it this year.

But I've got so many auditions this year. County, District (provided I make County), State Jazz, UNCG Jazz Honors Band, Carolina Band Festival and UNCG for real.

edit: Yeah, I know it's all coincidence fuzz. Just sayin'. Didn't mean anything serious by it.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played for Oregon State's marching band for two years, fall '05 and '06. Our section (tenor sax) was pretty small, and we were always criticized for not being loud enough. It was good to establish some low self-esteem to start off life in college.

Our band went on the road only a couple times during the season. In '05, our road trip was down to Berkley to play Cal. At this point, Oregon State was considered pretty okay (which, for us, meant that we could probably have a winning season,) but not nearly good enough to beat Cal. We were expecting to lose horribly, and we ended up winning, which was fantastic, but our road trip wasn't over yet. We were also booked to perform at a Raiders game the next day.

Here's a funny thing - the Raiders fans, apparently, didn't like us beating Cal the day before! They also paid attention to college football! Scared shitless by the sound of deafening booing, we entered McAfee Coliseum to perform our half-time show. As I stood on the sidelines, doing my best to keep out of spitting distance, I hear some commotion at the back of the band. "Food!", someone yells. Then, I feel the sensation of a hotdog hitting my sleeve. Those filthy animals were buying expensive stadium food for the express purpose of flinging it at us.

We played our set, performed the national anthem with Tower of Power, and watched half of the game from some seats reserved off for us. When it came time to leave, we practically ran to the parking lot, carrying all our gear.

PS - During the game, we weren't allowed to go use the bathroom unless we were in a group of eight or more, for fear of potential assault.

TSR on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    TSR wrote: »
    I played for Oregon State's marching band for two years, fall '05 and '06. Our section (tenor sax) was pretty small, and we were always criticized for not being loud enough. It was good to establish some low self-esteem to start off life in college.
    Shoulda gotten a hard rubber Meyer mouthpiece for everyone. So damn loud.

Also groups of 8 or more is some serious business right there.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never did anything that drew attention to myself until I discovered drama club. That was also the first place I ever experienced girls wanting my nuts, thought I was too timid to handle that concept at the time.

I enjoyed preforming in-character, especially when I got to ad-lib. I even modeled a king I played in "The Wild Girl and her Sister" after Professor Farnsworth from Futurama. I inserted the line "Well I'm already in my PJs".
    From there I even did Shakespeare and a Broadway-style musical.

Never acted again after high school but it was a fun time back then.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Back of the band bus was always good times.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I was a drum major back in cadets

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You may now enter the field in competition.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    StealtharcadiaStealtharcadia Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I play the Upright Bass in the Orchestra...

Stealtharcadia on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    also being a level 5 snare drummer at camp meant I typically played lead snare
    8-)

Cold Salmon and Hatred on