As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Servers up, social lives down.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Teth wrote: »
    Incredibly frustrated. I bought two copies of the game, one for me and one for the boyfriend. Neither of them will download onto my PC. Tech support closed at 10, and I got off work at 10:15 so I can't play the game. So. Frustrated.

What's the problem, specifically? Maybe we can help.

One disk isn't showing up in the drive. The other triggered a message that the disk was not working. and I don't think EB accepts returns on opened games

You mentioned buying 2 copies so that both you and your boyfriend could play... so I assume that means you have two PCs right? Did you try installing it on his PC? Did you get the same or different results.

Also, one other thing... your PC does have a DVD drive, right? Because the disc is a DVD, not CD.

Toxic Pickle on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    It's right beside the RVR area of the zone--the red shaded area on your map.
    Ah, thanks. I think I'm just on the border right next to that area.

What seems to be the most popular Order race since stunties seem to me lacking on my server? I assume those fancypants elves? I'll probably try the dark elf area first if that seems to be the case.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If the disc installs on one PC, copy the folder over.

Like WOW, WAR doesn't care where it lives or have any need for it's installer beyond being nice and making icons. You can just plop a copy of the folder anywhere on your PC via network share and run with it.

kildy on
    edited September 2008
    It's right beside the RVR area of the zone--the red shaded area on your map.
    Ah, thanks. I think I'm just on the border right next to that area.

What seems to be the most popular Order race since stunties seem to me lacking on my server? I assume those fancypants elves? I'll probably try the dark elf area first if that seems to be the case.

Bright Wizards are the most popular race.

I'm pretty sure they're forming their own nation and declaring independence from the Empire.

Toxic Pickle on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, Ironbreakers seem so awesome, Bright Wizards do not, so those people are just dumb pyros who are dumb.

I actually almost regret levelling up my Chosen last night, after getting a better look at what Ironbreakers have.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    And that doesn't even mention that PQ roll rewards are more icing on the cake than anything else. At least for me. If I get a good roll and some good loot out of the deal, great. But I'm not going to sit around grinding PQ's after I've capped my influence (unless it's to help some people out).

Yeah, I'm even seeing PQ bag loot that I don't even want. Some of the Herder stuff is messed up IMO, what's +int doing on Herder stuff?

But anyway, I think starting in T2 (at least this is when I noticed it) the mobs you kill for the PQ start dropping decent stuff. I got more nice stuff from March PQs from the individual mobs than from the Bloody Fen PQ.
    And I saw some nice stuff from the Wall PQ in Barak Varr.

Getting +500 for getting first, and then +100-300 for persistence (doing the PQ multiple) times gives you a huge advantage over other folks.

Getting 1st place in contribution does not entitle you do loot. It just gives you a measurable thing that makes you think you are entitled to loot.
    Just imagine if there was no contribution, and it was just a random roll of 1-1000. You would still be losing the rolls anyway.

You are actually winning more rolls with the +500 or +450, you just don't take as much note of them because you won. The losses are what stick out, and why people complain. No one complains about winning.

PQs are a fantastic mechanic, and I'm having a ton of fun doing them. I've never had so many really fun, random group experiences before in an MMO. People are actually working together, and then sticking around to do the PQ multiple times. It's great xp and great loot (random dropped, PQ bag and Inf reward).

Selner on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was actually thinking last night it'd be really nice if you could choose which loot bag you wanted, from the ones left etc.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited September 2008
    One thing I've noticed, it seems as if persistence bonus is a flat amount, that you get on your second try, and doesn't appear as if it increases on third and fourth tries. Is that true? Because if so, that's a frowny face right there.

Septus on
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed, it seems as if persistence bonus is a flat amount, that you get on your second try, and doesn't appear as if it increases on third and fourth tries. Is that true? Because if so, that's a frowny face right there.

No, I've seen people with +200 and +300 persistence bonuses.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was actually thinking last night it'd be really nice if you could choose which loot bag you wanted, from the ones left etc.

You mean pick the green bag if you won the blue? Or something?

Every bag gives the options of the lower bag's loot, but you can't purposely not take the bag. I do believe you can trade the unopened bag, however. I've never tried, the message is simply that items IN it may be BoP.

kildy on
    edited September 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

Ok, so the UI just doesn't list it as a number, like the contribution bonus does? I see the blue icon, and don't see it change.

Septus on
    edited September 2008

2nd try = +100
    3rd try = +200
    4th try = +300

That's the most I've seen personally. I usually get the smaller loot bag by the 3rd try, I've only gone over once or twice.

Sometimes you'll see +0, and I think that happens if you die or something. Not sure if there really is no bonus, or if it's a display error.
    Ok, so the UI just doesn't list it as a number, like the contribution bonus does? I see the blue icon, and don't see it change.

You have to mouse over the icon to see the actual + number.

Selner on
    edited September 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    And that doesn't even mention that PQ roll rewards are more icing on the cake than anything else. At least for me. If I get a good roll and some good loot out of the deal, great. But I'm not going to sit around grinding PQ's after I've capped my influence (unless it's to help some people out).

But anyway, I think starting in T2 (at least this is when I noticed it) the mobs you kill for the PQ start dropping decent stuff. I got more nice stuff from March PQs from the individual mobs than from the Bloody Fen PQ.

I found this to be true as well. Last night, through some awesome Scenarios (a huuuge change from my previous experiences), I gained a new Renown Rank and so headed on over to a Keep to purchase some new Renown gear. I went on my merry way with questing and the like, and ended up in a Chapter 8 PQ. Before I'd even hit the first Influence reward point, the PQ mobs had dropped loot which replaced both the new weapon and shield that I'd gotten from Renown. I'm not even talking about a loot bag here (which itself had a sweet reward), but this is just from the random drops! Of course, joining the open warband that was going on helped because, as I mentioned yesterday, PQs are so, so much more efficient in a group, even a random PUG-type.

Speaking of Scenarios, I actually gained some measure of appreciation for Mourkain's last night. When my side isn't getting completely rolled, that game can actually be a lot of fun. It's hectic and there is constant battle taking place... no spending the entire thing defending some stupid base that never gets attacked, no! Everybody is in the thick of things, either trying to kill the enemy token-bearer or defending their own.

Also, Thul killed me. :(

Toxic Pickle on
    edited September 2008
    Of course, joining the open warband that was going on helped because, as I mentioned yesterday, PQs are so, so much more efficient in a group, even a random PUG-type.

Yeah, joining the warband is basically necessary. You can only really hope for high rolls to win anything if you're not. And not being in a group basically means no dropped loot for you.

So, better xp, better inf, chance at loot for being in the warband.
    Also, if you're not in the group/warband you're not getting healed either :) .

One thing I find interesting is to look at the lists of loot in wardb.com for the PQs. You can easily tell what PQs folks are doing and which ones they're not doing. Some have full lists of all the classes gear, some have ony a couple classes worth of gear.
    Either that or not many folks have the Curse thing.

Selner on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

How can you see the persistance bonus? It's just an icon as far as I can see. I'm guessing you added up your score to see that.

I think the system for rolling loot is overall fair, but I swear it feels like whenever I'm at the top of the list I roll really low (11 is my worse) and when I just pop in at the end drop a couple heals on the last boss do just enough to qualify I roll in the 900's. I guess it all evens out in the end.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yathrin wrote: »

How can you see the persistance bonus? It's just an icon as far as I can see. I'm guessing you added up your score to see that.

Mouseover the icon. In general, that's a good practice for anything in the game.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yay, fedex came yesterday with my CE while we were at work and didn't leave the game, so they're delivering it again today. My inability to play this game in almost 5 days despite the headstart has almost completely killed my enthusiasm for WAR, I'm actually going to be BEHIND the official launch people. Poor form EA, poor form :(

Brick & Mortar next time. I think we've learned our lesson.

Mine hasn't even tried to deliver yet.. fucking Source

Ouch, I at least got an e-mail friday evening saying it's been shipped, but I'm still waiting...

If you also ordered from the Source, they lied. The shipment didn't make it to their warehouse in Barrie until Sunday. Monday, they hadn't yet sent them out.

Figgy on
    edited September 2008

Mouseover the icon. In general, that's a good practice for anything in the game.

Hmm, could have sworn I tried that and saw nothing.

Same thing for all of the icons on the final score of a scenario, no mouseover tooltip.

Septus on
    edited September 2008

Same thing for all of the icons on the final score of a scenario, no mouseover tooltip.

... those have tooltips as well.

Figgy on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I love the PQs but more than a few times I have walked into a scenario already underway maybe helped kill 2 guys and walked away with prizes. One in particular was quite interesting, me and another guy come onto a PQ that was almost done, the Hero was up and getting beat down, we join in on killing him and walk away with 3 and 4 place prizes (green bags)

while I dont mind getting prizes for no work it did seem a bit unfair.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I specifically did that in the past after not getting loot a couple times in a row and nothing popped up. Are you sure?

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why did they cut the Choppa?

Wombat02 on
    edited September 2008

I specifically did that in the past after not getting loot a couple times in a row and nothing popped up. Are you sure?

Yeah. It might be after the roll is over, but it does show. It will have a rather large tooltip and the actual roll bonus is listed at the bottom of it.

Figgy on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    How does Apothecary work with regards to main ingredients? It seems that the moment I stick a green/level 25 main ingredient in the thing, even with a skill of 33, it'll explode in my face. Even though it's showing the same "lol, 50%" instability as every other non-100% recipe.

Glal on
    edited September 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »

No. This is over. No more debate and haberdashery about cut classes/cities.

Figgy on
    edited September 2008

So they didn't give a reason?

Wombat02 on
    edited September 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    How does Apothecary work with regards to main ingredients? It seems that the moment I stick a green/level 25 main ingredient in the thing, even with a skill of 33, it'll explode in my face. Even though it's showing the same "lol, 50%" instability as every other non-100% recipe.

If a certain combo of matts explodes at the "might be stable" level, it will always explode. There is no random factor, so find a different combination.

Figgy on
    edited September 2008

They did, but we've discussed this one million god damn times and people keep coming out of the wood works asking. Google it. Every article published around the time of the announcement cite the reasons.

Figgy on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

They did, but we've discussed this one million god damn times and people keep coming out of the wood works asking. Google it. Every article published around the time of the announcement cite the reasons.

Figgy.

Will you father my children?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008

That seems like a lot of words that could have been used to talk about warhammer.

Wombat02 on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    It sucked.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008

That seems like a lot of words that could have been used to talk about warhammer.

I'd rather discuss why I'm not going to talk about the issue because they aren't the same words that I've used 30 times. It's been over 5 minutes since your first post about it. You could have read a few articles about it by now: click here

Figgy on
  • DogthulhuDogthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Selner wrote: »
    .. snip

..snip

Speaking of Scenarios, I actually gained some measure of appreciation for Mourkain's last night. When my side isn't getting completely rolled, that game can actually be a lot of fun. It's hectic and there is constant battle taking place... no spending the entire thing defending some stupid base that never gets attacked, no! Everybody is in the thick of things, either trying to kill the enemy token-bearer or defending their own.

Also, Thul killed me. :(

I seem to have killed many of my own. I need a title for this. Mythic, are you listening?

Edit: to add to the convo
    And I agree Temple really can be a ton of fun if you have a well rounded group and some communication. It can get very crazy. Some of the recaptures last night were just great. Mugg had I think two spectacular ones where Order would grab it from us and run off only to have mugg on the back waiting for em. Really fun.

Dogthulhu on
    MH3 - Thulhu
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now that the disaster that was the Heroes S3 opener is over, I plan to hardcore it to 20 tonight, get my mount :D

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So the problems I had with the CDs... just kind of fixed themselves, apparently. I'm on Disc 2 now. I wish there was an ETA or some sort of animated progress bar but whatever.

I'm rolling Order on Ironfist with my local Games Workshop crew, and Chaos with Penny Arcade. I hope they don't mind another shaman!

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • rehtonAesoohCrehtonAesoohC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow I had a couple of really weird bugs last night.

I joined a stonetroll crossing scenario, and I was queued for mourkain temple at the same time that I was queued for stonetroll. I assumed I would lose the mourkain queue by joining the stonetroll one, so I went on my merry way, killing orcs and being a stunty. So then, about halfway through the stonetroll, mourkain temple popped up as being available. I was like... whaaaa? I decided to test it out and join anyway, and that's when it got weird. My timer at the top right said Stonetroll Crossing, with the stonetroll capture points, even though I was in Mourkain temple. Then after the mourkain temple ended, it teleported me back into a completely empty stonetroll... I was able to go pick up the troll pacifier and run around and stuff.

I tried my book of binding, which didn't do anything (and set the cooldown to 1h). So I typed /stuck, which logged me out and back in, and when I logged back in, I was in a stonetroll crossing scenario filled with other players!!! Order had 13 players to destruction's 12... After that, it finally let me out back to the zone that I started in. But boy was it shenanigans!

rehtonAesoohC on
    Was wowed by Rift so I'm trying that now.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Glal wrote: »

If a certain combo of matts explodes at the "might be stable" level, it will always explode. There is no random factor, so find a different combination.

You need to use a higher level "don't explode, please" ingredient, or two of the level 1 items. It's just a hard and fast rule for al level 25 main ingredients. You kinda have to tinker to figure some of it out.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope they don't mind another shaman!

Healers are always welcome.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One more question - are Witch Hunters the rogues of Warhammer? I want to play one so badly but I suspect everyone else does, too.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One more question - are Witch Hunters the rogues of Warhammer? I want to play one so badly but I suspect everyone else does, too.

Pretty much, but just play a Witch Elf instead, nobody wants to be a chick.

Zek on
This discussion has been closed.