As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Uncanny X-Thread: Now with a helpful OP!

• ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

Off-hand: "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling is probably the epitome of a steampunk work where the technology actually is they key to the story. Arguably "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson is too (though that's a sort of retro-steampunk made possible by nanotech).

"The Steampunk Trilogy" is a it 50/50, in that it's more about the weird world that would be steampunk, and not the technology itself.

well, since all of those books came out more than twelve years ago, perhaps its zeitgeist has passed?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been rereading Astonishing Vol 1-4 trades. I got on Wikipedia to try to learn a bit more about some of the characters and history, and holy crap everything is complicated for the X-Men. I wasn't really sure who Cassandra Nova was so I looked her up, and her history and everything is pretty convoluted, and she isn't even that old of a character.

Just for kicks I looked up Jean Grey. Her's is such a mess that its just plain dizzying.

Lucascraft on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You'd be hard pressed to find a comic book character that's been around as long as most of the X-Men have that dosen't have an incredibly convoluted backstory.

Thats the nature of serial storytelling

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    But please! Bring your questions here!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Ok well since you're inviting questions, here's one.

Angel.

He was good and then he was bad and then he was good again and then he was gone for a while and now he's back?

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure what you mean by "gone for awhile but now he's back" He's always been around.

The allegiance shift was just a temporary thing as Apocalypse brainwashed him, gave him the metal wings, and turned him into one of his Four Horseman.

But that obviously didn't last.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well he has metal wings now so it might've.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2008
    I thought his wings were real? They look pretty real in Uncanny right now. Of course its very likely I'm wrong because I've only been collecting Uncanny for 3 issues and I'm a pretty big X-Men noob.

Lucascraft on
    edited September 2008
    Well he has metal wings now so it might've.

Yes, that just happaned. His wings were ripped off by Rahne (who was being mind controlled) and the metal ones grew back due to Apocalypse' shit still being in his system.

Although he can apparently transform from Angel to Archangel at will now (?). That has yet to be explained since it just happaned. But it's going to be explored in both X-Force and Uncanny from what I understand.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I thought his wings were real? They look pretty real in Uncanny right now. Of course its very likely I'm wrong because I've only been collecting Uncanny for 3 issues and I'm a pretty big X-Men noob.

It's still unclear, because the return of the metal wings literally just happaned. But yes his wings were real.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is he still meant to have healing blood?

Wildcat on
    edited September 2008
    I think so yes but I wouldnt complain if not (seriously fuck you Chuck Austen for that)

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't forget the creepy relationship with Husk.

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »

no, please forget it

I'm trying so hard to

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Anyway Lucas, we're meant to be confused a little bit by Angel right now. Because he just went through a big change and its a plot point that will be explored.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

no, please forget it

I'm trying so hard to
    They mention it specifically in the SI tie-in

Fencingsax on
    edited September 2008

no, please forget it

I'm trying so hard to
    They mention it specifically in the SI tie-in

ugh I know

Mike Carey you betrayed me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's the full run-down on Angel's wings (cliff notes version):
    1. Starts off as classic Angel with feathery wings.
    2. During the mutant massacre he is gravely injured and essentially crucified in the sewers - his wings are irrepareably damaged.
    3. Get's snagged by Apocalypse who turns him into his horseman of Death - Archangel. He now has metal wings that have somewhat of a mind of their own. I believe they also are a combination of mutant and Celestial DNA (correct me if I'm wrong there).
    4. Archangel becomes good again and eventually saves Psylocke from being killed by Sabretooth. Sabretooth "breaks" Warren's wings in the process.
    5. Archangel leaves the X-Men and retreats to his home in the mountains where he is visited by Ozymandias. He experiences intense fits of pain and eventually his steel wings shatter and are replaced once again by angelic wings.
    6. Years later (ie: just recently in X-Force) Wolfsbane tears off his Angel wings and runs away. Warren's steel wings then grow back all of the sudden and it is later revealed that whatever Apocolypse did to Warren back in the day is still in his system.
    7. The purifiers use the DNA in the dismembered wings to create there own "angels" out of normal humans.
    8. Archangel kills all of the purifier angels afterwhich he passes out and his real angel wings grow back.

The end.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited September 2008
    And dont forget the part about how he can change back and forth from the metal/feather wings and Angel/Archangel personas.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Wait, Ozymandias, King of Kings?

Wildcat on
    edited September 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »

Adrian Veidt :P

Lucascraft on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

An ancient king Apocalypse crushed and turned to stone to serve him eternally. I think he kinda betrayed Apoc, not sure if he's still around.

Scooter on
    edited September 2008
    I dont think anyone is clamoring for the return of Ozymandis

we're better off pretending most of the 90s never happaned.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Did you look upon his works? And despair?

Wildcat on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know what I wish? I never read much of New Mutants back in the day. I could go for some of that on days when I look upon the crap I did read and a little piece of me dies inside.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did you look upon his works? And despair?

No, but I'm pretty sure we looked at the works involving him and lost brain cells at a faster rate than normal. Speaking of 90s storylines: I kind of liked the one where Cable's son (Genesis?) kidnapped Wolvy and put adamantium back into him.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited September 2008

Very nice. That's going into my growing queue--which actually I guess I should put all together in one place because I know I've forgotten stuff.

On another note, I'm digging the fact that apparently Claremont doesn't give a fuck about the No More Mutants effect that Beast described in Messiah as affecting other realities.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    Claremont is in his own little world

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Yes. And I enjoy the weather immensely.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    Claremont has his own little following and the crossover with the readers of the regular Marvel titles is almost non-existant

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, like, for how many years has this "The X-Men hate Charles Xavier and he doesn't run the team but sometimes he shows up and Scott gives him dirty looks" storyline been going on? Because it seems like forever.

deadonthestreet on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It has been going on forever, but X-Men Legacy (Especially this issue!) express it so eloquently.

I really liked this issue of Legacy. Emma is pretty cool when she's being all Ghost of Christmas Past.

One annoying thing. Why do like, 25% of artists make Emma's lips really silver, and the rest not so much? Kind of irks me sometimes.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sometimes she wears lipstick and sometimes she doesn't?

deadonthestreet on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, she needs to make up her mind then.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just found out that Uncanny goes straight to tpb so I think I can stop getting it monthly. I will finish out this story arc since it ends next month and I am glad I got issue #500 with the awesome Alex Ross double spread cover.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited September 2008
    Yea, it's a makeup thing, she's only silvery when she's in diamond form.

I like making little trivia notes like that.

Rogue dies her hair like that

Black Canary and Nightshade wear wigs

Domino's eye patch is a tattoo

Emma Frost has breast implants

Scooter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Domino's eye patch is a tattoo?

Did she pick her name before, or after?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2008
    Not sure, my guess would be she named herself after her power and figured a black spot would finish the theme.

Scooter on
    edited September 2008
    Black Canary wears a wig? What's her real hair look like?

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.