As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Online: 1.01 goes live tomorrow!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Someone mentioned that removing the combat log from the chat window in the old thread would help improve FPS. Someone then asked if they meant deleting it or just moving it to a separate window. But I don't think I saw the answer to that.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »
    I just spent my third mastery point, and was expecting to get the tactic that was labeled at that level. Why did this not happen?

Costs a point to buy the unlocked ability.

gay

Doc on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dracil wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that removing the combat log from the chat window in the old thread would help improve FPS. Someone then asked if they meant deleting it or just moving it to a separate window. But I don't think I saw the answer to that.

I right clicked the tab and picked "close tab," but never saw any noticeable result. I was in the middle of our PQ zerg of death, though, so there were so many particle effects going at once that no one could expect to be stagger free.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    SO, important stuff - are Gobbos considered Orcs AND goblins, or just goblins?

Greenskins = Orcs, Goblins
    Gobbos = Goblins

Timmer on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just spent my third mastery point, and was expecting to get the tactic that was labeled at that level. Why did this not happen?
    because you can skip over getting abilities...each point you put into mastery makes all the abilities associated with that line (the ones you've already been using) more powerful, and once you get the power level up to a certain level you have the option to pick up the ability AT that level...or you can just keep on building the power up without spending that point

if that's an understandable explanation

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Super_HappySuper_Happy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Because you have to spent an additional mastery point to buy the ability, morale ability or tactic in question

Edit: not just beat, but beat down!

Super_Happy on
    edited September 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    because you can skip over getting abilities...each point you put into mastery makes all the abilities associated with that line (the ones you've already been using) more powerful, and once you get the power level up to a certain level you have the option to pick up the ability AT that level...or you can just keep on building the power up without spending that point

Yup, if you're used to WoW's talents think of the standard path like one big giant talent that "Increases the effectiveness of the six abilities shown to the right, Rank X/20". And then, depending on how many points you've put into that you can also purchase new abilities or tactics.

Timmer on
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Don't pick Destruction it's the more populous side. You get fewer scenarios, longer queues and you're perpetuating the problem.

Fixed. 8-)
    It's true though.

Fryhole on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, new thread. It will be 100+ pages by the next time I post. I’m interested in the opinion of non-Games workshop fans on the background, story and feel of WAR (lore or fluff if you’re a table top gamer). As a long time GW fan (of the worlds, not so much the company) I can’t get enough of this games story lines. I find myself unable to skip quests because I would be missing out. I have also determined that I must play at lest one character of every race all the way thru it’s paring. So is it as good if you are new to the Warhammer setting?

I only know about Warhammer through a friend who is really in to it. I don't fallow the lore that well, and I can't be bothered to really get in to the table top game. But I can say that as a casual observer, the setting lays the bad ass on thick! Which is always a good thing.

The way I like to look at the Warhammer setting, is that its Tolkien Fantasy for jocks. Just take a look at the Races:

Orcs - There Soccer Hooligans with large swords and green skin! Take Mike Myers as Shrek, get him piss drunk, and make him fight things with a sword. Bam.
    Dwarfs - The Dwarfs know how to have a good time. There like, the frat boys of Warhammer. They get drunk, do manly things like kill huge monsters with nothing but a rag tied around there waist, and make really really big guns.
    Chaos - Vikings possessed by Demons and other such craziness. I don't really need to explain much more then that.
    Empire - Theres nothing wimpy about the Empire. Shit, even there priests fight like men!
    Dark Elves - For those who want to be a sexy bitch with big swords and an even bigger dinosaur mount. Also, in the manuals they look like they just walked off the set of a Kiss Music Video.
    High Elves - They may seem like the least manly race in the game, but these Elves are not to be taken lightly. I think White Lions show how bad ass they can be. Who wouldn't want to fight with a big lion by there side?

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Timmer wrote: »

Yup, if you're used to WoW's talents think of the standard path like one big giant talent that "Increases the effectiveness of the six abilities shown to the right, Rank X/20". And then, depending on how many points you've put into that you can also purchase new abilities or tactics.

Yeah for those who are way too used to WoW's way of doing things (me included in this), spending points to get to an ability and then not getting the ability seems like heresy. It took me awhile to change my thinking, to understand that I was spending points to make the abilities I already had better than normal, not necessarily just to get this shiny new ability (though I really want that first ability which is a 25% healing reduction aura on my Chosen!).

It's not a bad system but I still find it hard not to be disappointed that I'm not just picking up these sweet new abilities by default... I've actually gotta pick and choose which ones I want to keep or pass on. D:

Toxic Pickle on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Teehee. Sniping people with a ballista is fun. Yes, little ants, fight our guys on the shores just outside the reach of our NPCs, you're peeeeeeeerfectly saaaafe.

Glal on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Timmer wrote: »

Yeah for those who are way too used to WoW's way of doing things (me included in this), spending points to get to an ability and then not getting the ability seems like heresy. It took me awhile to change my thinking, to understand that I was spending points to make the abilities I already had better than normal, not necessarily just to get this shiny new ability (though I really want that first ability which is a 25% healing reduction aura on my Chosen!).

It's not a bad system but I still find it hard not to be disappointed that I'm not just picking up these sweet new abilities by default... I've actually gotta pick and choose which ones I want to keep or pass on. D:

really though, they give you more then enough. The tactics are what I find to be the most optional. i'll take new abilities over tactics any day. Mainly because I can always use abilities, however I'm limited to the amount of tactics I can use.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So anyways this game is the shit. Hit rank 10 last night and Im going to head into Tier 2 soon.

As for lore, as much as I love what Blizzard did with the orcs in Warcraft3/WoW I love these orcs too. Paradox summoned it up... huge green soccer hooligans with huge jagged swords. Awesome.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited September 2008
    really though, they give you more then enough. The tactics are what I find to be the most optional. i'll take new abilities over tactics any day. Mainly because I can always use abilities, however I'm limited to the amount of tactics I can use.

Yeah, there's definitely good tactics in the masteries but you generally at most just need one if you're going to equip it all the time. I think it's a good system overall -- less epic changes than WoW's talents but that game is built on hybrid-like classes which use talents to define yourself. This game has no hybrids and your definition is your class and the mastery paths are there to tweak your preferences a bit and give yourself some originality within your defined role. I appreciate both systems and think each does well for its purpose -- for an RvR/PvP focused game where balance is paramount, I think WAR's mastery paths fit the bill perfectly.

Also, don't forget there are also Renown Trainers that have other tactics and passive abilities that you can choose from and further, special tome unlockable tactics, too.

There's tons of little ways to tweak yourself out here and there.

Timmer on
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think it would be just dandy if mounts weren't usable in tier 2 scenarios.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

gay
    No, no it is emphatically not gay. Your mastery skills top out at level 25 unless you invest points in the associated mastery. Those three points you invested to allow you to buy the tactic increased the power of the associated core skills. Check it out on your hotbar. Core skills for masteries where you haven't invested points will be level X, and core skills for the mastery where you have invested points will be level X+Y, where Y is the number of ranks you have in that mastery.

You don't get the mastery tactics and abilities for free because that would be double-dipping. Also, it forces you to make a meaningful choice with any given mastery point. Invest in the mastery rank for +1 level to the associated core skills? Or purchase a new tactic or ability? Max out a mastery, buying fewer abilities and tactics, but have the abilities at rank 40? Or invest only enough ranks to buy the abilities and tactics you want, but have the abilities end up less powerful overall? It's a good system, IMO.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008

gay
    No, no it is emphatically not gay. Your mastery skills top out at level 25 unless you invest points in the associated mastery. Those three points you invested to allow you to buy the tactic increased the power of the associated core skills. Check it out on your hotbar. Core skills for masteries where you haven't invested points will be level X, and core skills for the mastery where you have invested points will be level X+Y, where Y is the number of ranks you have in that mastery.

You don't get the mastery tactics and abilities for free because that would be double-dipping. Also, it forces you to make a meaningful choice with any given mastery point. Invest in the mastery rank for +1 level to the associated core skills? Or purchase a new tactic or ability? Max out a mastery, buying fewer abilities and tactics, but have the abilities at rank 40? Or invest only enough ranks to buy the abilities and tactics you want, but have the abilities end up less powerful overall? It's a good system, IMO.

no u
    seriously though, I just wanted Split Arrows because I spam spiral-fletched arrows tons in RvR all the time, and this will like triple my damage throughput. The system is fine, I was just sad I didn't get it.

Doc on
  • ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They really ought to label it better. This is one of those things that alot of people have wondered about.

Toothy on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So. PQ loot rolls.

In every PQ I go into, I never get a bag, or if I do it's one of the spare green bags. Ever. This has carried over since guild beta.

Then, we decide to start hitting Gunbad as a guild since we've just recently hit tier 3. Run it twice since Sunday. In the 5-6 PQs that we've done and haven't yet gotten through one entire wing, I have won: 1 gold bag, 2 purple bags, 1 blue bag, & 1 green bag.

I want to know where these rolls came from and if I could please ask them to stay with me when we get to fortress and kings loot drops, please and thanks.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This game will be the death of me

I'm sitting here at work coding while wondering if I want to play marauder or witch elf, then remembering I'm here for four more hours

And a tiny, tiny piece of me dies

Ledneh on
  • Meatshie1dMeatshie1d Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If anyone in Six Mouth's is online, can you invite Nummy? It's my character.

Meatshie1d on
    edited September 2008
    Toothy wrote: »
    They really ought to label it better. This is one of those things that alot of people have wondered about.

Is this a problem with the labeling in terms of getting you information, or just a problem with us expecting X because that's how WoW did it?

Darkewolfe on
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    So. PQ loot rolls.

In every PQ I go into, I never get a bag, or if I do it's one of the spare green bags. Ever. This has carried over since guild beta.

Then, we decide to start hitting Gunbad as a guild since we've just recently hit tier 3. Run it twice since Sunday. In the 5-6 PQs that we've done and haven't yet gotten through one entire wing, I have won: 1 gold bag, 2 purple bags, 1 blue bag, & 1 green bag.

I want to know where these rolls came from and if I could please ask them to stay with me when we get to fortress and kings loot drops, please and thanks.

Has anyone in tier 2 noticed that they seem to have nerfed the crap out of bags? Every single PQ I've done post a certain patch has dropped four green bags, exactly. Nothing more, nothing less. Well, except for once, when it was one blue bag and three green bags. But it still seems like they seriously messed up the bag stuff.

Darkewolfe on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Toothy wrote: »

Is this a problem with the labeling in terms of getting you information, or just a problem with us expecting X because that's how WoW did it?
    i don't know how WoW did it but I myself was confused when I first saw it...it's a very confusing way to display it I believe

i don't know if you've seen it, but, here
    http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=14#5:32:0:0:15:8744:25

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited September 2008
    I've seen it. Your answer helps, because that at least provides anecdotal evidence as to how a non-WoWer views it.

Darkewolfe on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aegis wrote: »
    So. PQ loot rolls.

I was doing Barak Varr last night and instead of running around in my small party I invited everyone to the warband. It makes it so much easier, plus I didn't really need bags as so much awesome loot was dropping.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So anyways this game is the shit. Hit rank 10 last night and Im going to head into Tier 2 soon.

As for lore, as much as I love what Blizzard did with the orcs in Warcraft3/WoW I love these orcs too. Paradox summoned it up... huge green soccer hooligans with huge jagged swords. Awesome.

Bah, blizzard orcs not Orcz! Dey iz nuthink but a load a frilly elfs with dere fancy wordz and plantz and stuff! Dey iz not even all green! Some of dem iz red. We wouldz kick them in the voolnerables all da way round dis Azeroth place. I even ere dey have elves who iz even more wimpy than our elves, and dere evil elves wearz proper humie clothez rather dan chain bikiniz. Dey don't even play blood bowl, dey are alwayz talkin to plantz and treez and beetles.

I also ere, and dis iz dizgusting and nearly hooman like in unorkyness, dat dey throwz away perfectly good slopz! Dey make fancy foodz, like dis halfling I ate once, and eat dose instead! Even a miserable little gobbo could killz one of dem, I betz they can't even handle their squig beer!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is anyone still getting "Target out of Range" bugs? I haven't, but one of my coworkers on a White Lion says they make things nearly unplayable. A quick search around the web sees this popping up still, often in conjunction with WL.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Target out of Range bug?

Posting for dot and for people to remember to grab me for T2 scenario healing. :D

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, I can't seem to log in. I hoped to get an hour or two of playtime in tonight.

Anyone have news on what's up?

Euro servers btw, it won't even let me into the game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Is anyone still getting "Target out of Range" bugs? I haven't, but one of my coworkers on a White Lion says they make things nearly unplayable. A quick search around the web sees this popping up still, often in conjunction with WL.

I get that at times on my Black Orc. You mean where the mob looks to be right on you, but it's actually several feet away? It is annoying, but mine goes away after a few seconds, or sometimes when somebody else grabs aggro.

Also, if you can find where the mob "actually is" it will usually reset. At least, it does for me.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anybody play a 20ish Black Orc want to try out WP, I really want to try a Black Orc out in combat but don't feel like leveling him to 20. This is your chance to feel what it is like to be bald with a big hammer!!!

FanciestWalnut on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Target out of Range bug?

Posting for dot and for people to remember to grab me for T2 scenario healing. :D

I don't think you need to justify your post... :D

The range bug involves standing next to a mob that's beating on you... but you can't attack in melee while the UI flashes "Target out of Range" or sometimes "Target not Attackable". It was bad in early OB but I've only seen it once or twice since.

Apparently some White Lions are getting it very frequently.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited September 2008
    Target out of Range bug?

The range bug involves standing next to a mob that's beating on you... but you can't attack in melee while the UI flashes "Target out of Range" or sometimes "Target not Attackable". It was bad in early OB but I've only seen it once or twice since.

I got it a few times in PvE last night.

Darkewolfe on
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Target out of Range bug?

I get that bug once or twice a night. It's fairly rare, but does happen. Looks like the mob is in melee range and graphically its hitting you with melee abilities but you cant hit it back. Usually I'll just shift position a bit and all is well. I can see were it would be a bigger issue with White Lions having their pets tanking for them. They would have more trouble repositioning the mob making it more noticable.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    So, I can't seem to log in. I hoped to get an hour or two of playtime in tonight.

Anyone have news on what's up?

Euro servers btw, it won't even let me into the game.
    Same thing seems to be happening to me (euro servers too).
    I enter username/pw and it either comes back saying it's incorrect or just sits on patching 100% with play greyed out.
    I just entered my CE code so I thought it was maybe that.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My Squig Herder hits that bug a couple of times a night.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Target out of range happens a lot for me. Most of my PvE has been in the Dark Elf vs High Elf lands.

Fryhole on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My WL saw this maybe once out of every ten mobs early on, and more often when I started a fight by sending the lion in first. I've been playing an engy since, though, and I've only seen a couple of weird jumps.

Still a fairly stable client at launch, though. That's the one bug that really annoys me, but most players either won't experience it or won't ever notice because their attacks range from 0ft-farawaytime. I suspect it's an issue with the way the mob tries to target you versus your lion.

MrMonroe on
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    For the person earlier asking if turning off the Combat log helps, that is a definite yes. This is especially true during RvR scenarios and big events (large PQs, Keeps, etc.). Basically, you want to just get rid of the combat tab completely. Also, if you're finding yourself hitching in large quest areas or cities, try turning off Monster Chat as well, that also helped clear some of it up.

There are quite a few issues right now with how things are reported to the client (all information is streamed in real time, even the fact that there have not been any changes to anyone's health or status) and how the client records the information (every single combat and dialog action is recorded in real time to various files on your hard drive, possibly slowing things down as well). Hopefully they get this resolved as I can see these both causing some of the "hitching" people are having. That being said, it's an awesome game, and I can't wait to get home to keep playing. :)

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
This discussion has been closed.