As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trouble setting up a home network

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok, im trying to set up a home network to share files between 2 computers. Ive run the network setup wizard on both, gave both the same workgroup name, rebooted both, waited 30 minutes, and still nothing. So i tried it again, changed the computers names, descriptions and the workgroup name and rebooted. Im still getting an error "Mshome (Workgroup name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this network to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found".

For background, one of the computers is running XP Pro, one Home. The weird thing is, depending on which computer on which the network setup wizard is run first will be able to access the workgroup, but the other one will not. Ive never run into this error before.

Ive got both computers assigned static IP's through my router, my router can see both, its just one computer can consistently not see the other one.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Im stumped. I tried googling, only found with guy with a problem similiar to mine.... He apparently waited 10 hours and then the computers could magically talk. I dont want to sit around for that long if theres something i can do in the mean time to fix this.

Thanks.

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try opening the cmd thingy (start-->run-->cmd) and type "ping *ip of other computer*". If you get a response then the computers are talking, you just can't see the other one for some reason.

Also, this probably doesn't matter but what router are you using?

fogeyman on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, i can the new computer from this one, but i cant ping this computer from that one. The only difference in setup right now is this computer is running Zonealarm, which is probably to blame. Im trying to google how to properly set this up, but im not coming up with any answers. Anyone know offhand how to do this?

Also, im running a Netgear router, RP614v2. But i think the problem is Zone Alarm.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zeon wrote:
    The only difference in setup right now is this computer is running Zonealarm, which is probably to blame.

Turn off Zonealarm (and any other firewall-type apps), then set the network up. After it is working, you can turn the firewall back on and tell it not to block the other PC.

Trying to debug network issues through a firewall is a recipe for frustration, since you will never know if it is the network or the firewall causing problems.

IIRC, Zonealarm has a "safe zone" where you can add PCs you don't want to block (but it's been years since I've touched the app, so things might have changed).

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Zeon wrote:
    The only difference in setup right now is this computer is running Zonealarm, which is probably to blame.

Turn off Zonealarm (and any other firewall-type apps), then set the network up. After it is working, you can turn the firewall back on and tell it not to block the other PC.

Trying to debug network issues through a firewall is a recipe for frustration, since you will never know if it is the network or the firewall causing problems.

IIRC, Zonealarm has a "safe zone" where you can add PCs you don't want to block (but it's been years since I've touched the app, so things might have changed).

Yep, you were right, and i got it half working, and thats as much as i need. I set an exception in zone alarm to never block traffic from the other computer (Dangerous, i know, if someone ever takes control of it) so now that computer can freely browse this computers shared files. This computer still cant see anything over there, but for right now, i dont need it to.

And id love to just ditch Zone Alarm plain and simple, but ive never found another firewall that will let me so selectively decide what does and does not get access. Sometimes i want to use certain programs but i do not want them to have access to the internet at all (Check for updates, send back information, etc) and zone alarm is the only firewall i know of that will let me choose allow or deny on an app by app basis.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like SyGate.

rayofash on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I really, really, really dig the Kerio Personal Firewall. It's useful even once the trial expires.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2007
    yotes wrote:
    I really, really, really dig the Kerio Personal Firewall. It's useful even once the trial expires.

Will that prompt me every time something tries to access the internet? It looks like it does in the same fashion as Zone Alarm, but it doesnt specify.

Itd be really great to find something to replace Zone Alarm. Back in like, 1999 it was a great application, but since they put in all the other computer "safety" features, its become worse and worse.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zeon wrote:
    yotes wrote:

Will that prompt me every time something tries to access the internet? It looks like it does in the same fashion as Zone Alarm, but it doesnt specify.

Itd be really great to find something to replace Zone Alarm. Back in like, 1999 it was a great application, but since they put in all the other computer "safety" features, its become worse and worse.

Yes, it will promt you if anything tries to access the net. However, I'd recommend you to check out Comodo Firewall. It's an excellent firewall, and even better, it's freeware :)

Dírhael on
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just use your router's firewall? I don't think I've ever used a software firewall since getting a router, two firewalls can make things more of a hassle than they need to be.

djklay on
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    He wants to control outgoing connections, doing that through a router firewall will probably be a lot more hassle than there needs to be.

Zell on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zell wrote:
    He wants to control outgoing connections, doing that through a router firewall will probably be a lot more hassle than there needs to be.

Do it through a hostsfile instead.

Daedalus on
  • djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zell wrote:

Not really, just don't download stuff that causes outgoing connections when you don't want it. I can't think of any case where this would not be solved by having a clean system which is really not that hard.

djklay on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My favorite firewall is PC-cillin Internet Security. It includes great anti-virus (and shitty anti-spyware). It costs $50 but, IMO, is well worth the money. It also offers protection for up to 3 PCs so you can split the cost with two other friends (they don't have to be on the same network).

fogeyman on
  • TarTar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zell wrote:

you can control outgoing connections with a router firewall, although it is more involved it is far superior to a software firewall on the host you are trying to protect. A software firewall on an os is only as good as the rest of the security on the machine. A router firewall on the other hand will work regardless. Another vote for router firewalls.

Tar on
    AC:WW 2191.0414.2547 Tar in Red Hill PM me if you add me!
    TETRIS DS 760.559 466.343
    clubhouse 270.663 522.426
  • Spore CloudSpore Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ive got the same router, since I bought it I stopped using software firewalls entirely without any problems for more than 2 years now. imho just ditch the software firewall and configure your router properly and everything will be a-ok.

Spore Cloud on
    Spore+Cloud.png