As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

McFrontalot - Final Boss, Credit Song

yuttyutt Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
UPDATE: I cannot and will not send you a copy of the song. It is both illegal and, more importantly, against the direct request of MC Frontalot. Please don't bother asking me.

MC Frontalot recently made an official post regarding this song:
Hi folks,

I don't at all mind people extracting it from the game if they've bought the game -- in fact, I think that's pretty slick. I would consider it kindly of y'all to not fileshare it, though, since it is slated for my October album.

Cheers
mcf

If you like the song, please support Frontalot by purchasing the album when it is released! You should also check out his previous work, most of the songs are available on his site as free mp3 downloads.

Since Mr Frontalot is cool with it, I made a small Windows app to automagically extract the file:
http://www.analogdawn.com/files/final-boss-song-extract.exe

This requires you be using Windows and have the game properly installed.

Please be sure to scan this, and any other programs you download for viruses before running them.

I've tested it on Windows XP, but it should work with any version. I'm curious how the Steam version is installed, but I don't have it to test, so it may or may not work.

For those interested, it is written in AutoIt scripting language. I release the code and executable to Public Domain. So feel free to do whatever you want with it.
#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.13.2 (beta)
 Author:         yutt
 Script Version: 1.0

Script Function:
	Extract the Final Boss song from the Rain Slick FSB file.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Look up the Rain Slick path in the Windows registry
$rainslick_path = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One", "Path")

; Create temporary directory to extract files to
$temp_dir = @TempDir & "\PAATEMP"

; Parameters for the fsbext command
$ext_param = '-d ' & $temp_dir & ' "' & $rainslick_path & '\parpg\data\sounds\ep_1\parpg_ep1_mx_streams.fsb"'

; Create temp directory
DirCreate ($temp_dir)

; Include fsbext.exe on compile, and extract it to the temp directory on execution
FileInstall ( "C:\fsbext.exe", $temp_dir & "\fsbext.exe", 1)

; Execute fsbext with the above parameters parameters
ShellExecuteWait (  $temp_dir & "\fsbext.exe", $ext_param, @ScriptDir, "", @SW_HIDE)

; Move the WAV file to the script's current directory and more clearly rename the WAV
FileMove ($temp_dir & "\credits_mx_01.wav",@ScriptDir & "\McFrontalot - Final Boss.mp3")

; Delete the temp directory and all files within
DirRemove ( $temp_dir, 1)

If FileExists (@ScriptDir & "\McFrontalot - Final Boss.mp3") Then
	MsgBox(4096,"Success","Song successfully extracted to:" & @CRLF & @ScriptDir & "\McFrontalot - Final Boss.mp3")
Else
	MsgBox(4096,"Error","An error occurred attempting to extract the song.")
EndIf

yutt on

• The JokerThe Joker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want the song, but have the game for Xbox 360 and can't rip it :(

The Joker on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Confirming this works quick and perfectly in vista. Thanks for your contribution yutt! (asuming of course that you are not secretly mining my data now :P)

This song was the first time I ever heard of MC Frontalot and now I already own his 2 albums so its cool to have a tentative release on the third one :3

Bedlam on
  • yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Confirming this works quick and perfectly in vista. Thanks for your contribution yutt!
    Cool, thanks for letting me know, I don't have a Vista box to test. Also no problem, I was reading through some people's directions on the GreenHouse site and just thought it sounded unnecessarily complex for someone who just wanted to grab the song without earning a degree in computer science. ;)
    (asuming of course that you are not secretly mining my data now :P)
    Nope, nope. I have the code all posted there. I could even walk you through compiling it yourself if you don't trust me. With AutoIt it isn't much more than right-clicking on a text file. Though, since we are mainly utilizing the fsbext.exe program you'd need to download that and have it in the root of your C: drive.
    This song was the first time I ever heard of MC Frontalot and now I already own his 2 albums so its cool to have a tentative release on the third one :3
    Sweet. Yet another great example of free song distribution facilitating product purchase. :P

yutt on
    edited July 2008
    The Joker wrote: »
    I want the song, but have the game for Xbox 360 and can't rip it :(
    Sorry, I'm not sure how to do it on the 360. Actually I've had a couple people ask me about this now. I'll have a quick look around and see if it is feasible to do that.

yutt on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Joker - what's your gamertag? If you tell us, you can prove you've bought the game by looking at your profile and seeing if you've got any achievements. If so, it should be fine to email it to you.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited July 2008
    It would be ethically fine, but still technically illegal. Only the copyright holder or someone with an agreement that allowed distribution on those terms would be able to legally distribute the song in that situation.

Admittedly, copyright laws are a mess of archaic nonsense. Regardless it would be trivial to link a Gamertag of someone else who did purchase the game.

I'd say the best bet is to figure out a way to extract it from your own copy, or hope that it is released for free. In any case, please don't discuss questionable methods in this thread, as I would rather it isn't locked or removed. :winky:

yutt on
  • MistressKanaMistressKana Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well I hate most things rap. It's just not for me. I so WANT that end credit song. Alas, I have it on the 360 (PC gaming was never much my forte..I haven't got the focus or memory for hot keys and junk.) Curses! I suppose I must simply wait. What I will say, though, is that thanks to that song I'm off to check out his other stuff! I have a feeling I might make an acception to general hatred for the genre for him.

MistressKana on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Have the lyrics been posted? I can only parse a few words.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    agoaj wrote: »
    Have the lyrics been posted? I can only parse a few words.
    Lyrics directly from front's site

Also you can download some other songs from his site if you want some to listen to more(completly free of course)

Bedlam on
  • The JokerThe Joker Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Joker - what's your gamertag? If you tell us, you can prove you've bought the game by looking at your profile and seeing if you've got any achievements. If so, it should be fine to email it to you.

The Joker 138...I'd post a link to my profile on xbox.com but I cant figure out how to o_O

The Joker on
  • theultimateendtheultimateend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yutt wrote: »
    Sweet. Yet another great example of free song distribution facilitating product purchase. :P

Honestly I can't think of one artist in the last 10 years (and I'm only 21 so meh) that I've purchased the cd's of without hearing the music first.

Every artist I've ever heard that was good has gotten my business, just like every game that I've played that was good has gotten my business.

I won't discuss the testing phase of this stuff, but if I find myself smiling or can't control the urge to dance I purchase the game or music. (The last time a game made me giddy was when I clubbed a guard in Oblivion, I promptly purchased the game w/knights of the nine).

I wish more companies and artists would realize that figuring out an easy way to sample their stuff without watering it down is a quick way to money. For those a-holes that brag about stealing, well collect them and take a meat tenderizer to their no-no parts.

At any rate I just wanted to support your point and I need to get around to getting this :). I really wish they had a hard version of it. I have so much trouble downloading games for perma-ownership. I love the feel of a quality pressed cd against my skin.

...oh dear...I fear I've said too much.

- Rico -

theultimateend on
    - Rico -
    http://islesofscion.net - Updated every day!
    RicoPenguin.gif
    theultimateend.png
  • bboyKRILLINbboyKRILLIN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want that song, but i'm running the game on my mac, so i have no fucking clue as to how you'd go about extracting it, i guess my only option is to purchase the album when it comes out! :D

Yay MC Frontalot!

bboyKRILLIN on
    BBOY KRILLIN's ART cause i likes to draws an stuff
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Your program doesn't work for me. It's either Steam or 64-bit Vista, couldn't really say for sure. Any Steam folks gotten it to work?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    Shaved Testicle Dude, if you're familiar with regedit, could you see if you have:

HKLM\Software\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One

I grab the Path value there to find the game.

yutt on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Doesn't exist. That program isn't going to work for us Steam heads it looks like. None of my games in steam (besides the steam itself and the half-life engine) have any registry keys, it would appear.

What you could do is give an option to pop up a file dialog and let us track down the file ourselves. I'm sitting here looking at this tasty file right now, if I had any idea how to compile your code I could just make it point to my particular filepath:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\on the rain-slick precipice of darkness - episode one\parpg\data\sounds\ep_1\parpg_ep1_mx_streams.fsb

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • jpvjpv Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I want that song, but i'm running the game on my mac, so i have no fucking clue as to how you'd go about extracting it, i guess my only option is to purchase the album when it comes out! :D

Yay MC Frontalot!

QFT - I even became a valued sucker over at front's HQ, to see if he'd spiffed the elites an mp3. No luck. Ah well, will have it soon enough...

jpv on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Steam user here ... worked perfectly, no tweaking or haxing required.

/shrugs

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • jpvjpv Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Turns out that fbsext with compile on a Mac for some, but I've yet to get that to, y'know, happen. At this point I'm just gonna grit my teeth until October :P

jpv on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There's kind of a way to get it if you have the 360 version.

If a person of authority could contact me I'd like to see if it's cool to elaborate.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your program doesn't work for me. It's either Steam or 64-bit Vista, couldn't really say for sure. Any Steam folks gotten it to work?
    No. Curse you space devils!

JAEF on
    edited August 2008
    There's kind of a way to get it if you have the 360 version.

If a person of authority could contact me I'd like to see if it's cool to elaborate.

I just plugged my audio out into my PC's sound card.

Willeth on
  • OpunayaOpunaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After hearing "Final Boss" I totally need more of MC Front. Now. I hope he'll make another for them for Episode 2.

Opunaya on
  • SG LukeSG Luke Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just a little update for everyone, you can buy MC Frontalot's new CD on his site now. If you buy it, you can also d/l a digital copy to listen to while you wait for November to come and bring you the CD. This song is the last song on the album.

SG Luke on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got the new CD at PAX. Very awesome stuff. Canadia is a fun song and there are appearances by both JoCo and Wil Wheaton on the album.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • SG LukeSG Luke Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh shit, i didn't see it at Pax. Damn!

SG Luke on
    edited September 2008
    The album is now available for pre-order, which gives you immediate access to download all of it.

http://frontalot.com/index.php/?page=cd3

There are also teasers of all the songs available, so you can see if you like the rest of the album.

yutt on
    edited September 2008
    I really like the first few songs and have been listening to them a load - once it gets later on in the album I stop paying attention to it for some reason. The first couple of songs really grip me, though.

Willeth on
  • HH JoelHH Joel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The new album is awesome! I highly recommend it.

Joel

HH Joel on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just bought the album. So far, it seems good.

I have to say, while his second album was also good, his first seems to still be my favorite.

but more front is better than less front. Empirically!

Evander on