As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tales From the Marching Band Field

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    did anyone else have "naked time" after football games when everyone was getting out of their marching uniforms, usually just in the middle of the band room (we had shorts and stuff on under the uniforms, well, most of us anyways)

ronzo on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    did anyone else have "naked time" after football games when everyone was getting out of their marching uniforms, usually just in the middle of the band room (we had shorts and stuff on under the uniforms, well, most of us anyways)

When I was in Midsummer Night's Dream the cast all changed in the band room between scenes. Lots of people stripped down to undies to change costumes. I accidentally caught sight of a female cast-mate's nipple for a split-second when she took her shirt off too quickly.

That's about it.

TankHammer on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Drumstick-->Butthole insertion is the stereotypical Rookie Talent but it could get way more ridiculous than that.

I marched with Carolina Crown in 2000, and at that point the hornline bus was still doing Rookie Talent Night. It got postponed until the night of July 4th for some reason, and my plan was to go up to the front of the bus totally naked and jerk off while singing the Star Spangled Banner, blowing my load when I got to "the home of the brave". I didn't manage to shoot off but people still applauded.

However, I totally got one-upped by this complete lunatic of a mellophone player named Chris Brown, a nutjob who ended up aging out at Blue Devils--absolutely the corps where he belonged. For his Rookie Talent, he coated his erect penis in Vaseline and then a thin layer of butane lighter fluid and then he fucking set his cock on fire. He became an immediate superstar.

Ghost Rider meets Earthworm Jim.

Also, brilliant!

Polago on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Played the alto sax for marching band, played alto/tenor/bari for pep band and jazz concerts.

And I was finally able to rent an alto last week here because I didn't want my one from home shipped over.

Goddamn does it feel good to play it

DrIanMalcolm on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm in the band at UCONN. Last year, we somehow pulled off an upset victory against South Florida at home and the students decided to rush the field for the first time in our school's rather lackluster football history.

Now, due to the size of the band, we can't all fit into our designated section, so the saxes have a few rows in the front in an adjacent section. Normally, this is great, because we get to do our own thing and have a pretty good view of the field. The problem is that the rest of the section behind us is composed of drunk college kids.

The students start pushing to reach the field and we're all worried that we're about to die from massive trampling. We managed to get out of the way, eventually, but one of my friends had her leg fractured from being pushed against the railing.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, who the fuck sets fire to his dick.

What the hell, K.

Why are your people broken.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, who the fuck sets fire to his dick.

What the hell, K.

Why are your people broken.

I laughed pretty hard at rockets red glare.

monsterror, you cad

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    monsterror the only reason you look good with a stache is because it hides part of your ugly-ass mug

it doesn't mean everyone ELSE is gonna look good with a stache

GOD

(PS. I <3 you.)

Viv will I look good with a stache

Straightzi on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Baidol wrote: »
    I'm in the band at UCONN. Last year, we somehow pulled off an upset victory against South Florida at home and the students decided to rush the field for the first time in our school's rather lackluster football history.

Now, due to the size of the band, we can't all fit into our designated section, so the saxes have a few rows in the front in an adjacent section. Normally, this is great, because we get to do our own thing and have a pretty good view of the field. The problem is that the rest of the section behind us is composed of drunk college kids.

The students start pushing to reach the field and we're all worried that we're about to die from massive trampling. We managed to get out of the way, eventually, but one of my friends had her leg fractured from being pushed against the railing.

Shit son you go to UCONN?

I live in fucking Mansfield

Of course I'm at school right now, but that's only in hartford so

Straightzi on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I played the Clarinet in band. Once a year we would go to Six Flags Magic Mountain for a competition. I think we won one year.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
    edited September 2008
    Straightzi wrote: »

You need to build an actual town. I don't drink and there isn't much to do around here besides drink. Makes for rather lackluster weekends.

Well, the weekends without band. All two of them.

Baidol on
    edited September 2008

You need to build an actual town. I don't drink and there isn't much to do around here besides drink. Makes for rather lackluster weekends.

Well, the weekends without band. All two of them.

Hell, if it weren't for UCONN

I don't think anyone would know a damn thing about mansfield/storrs

Willimantic would have become an ever expanding cesspool in the middle of the woods

The end

Straightzi on
    edited September 2008
    Anyways, things to do in Mansfield are like

Go in the woods somewhere

Tip a motherfuckin' cow

Get drunk and also stoned

Read a book read a book read a motherfucking book

Go down to Willimantic and shoot up some heroin and go to a chinese buffet

Straightzi on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was in band and drama back in high school. The stories I have from drama make the stories I have from band look like a church.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
    edited September 2008

Tip a motherfuckin' cow

Yeah, that's about right. At least the local sushi place is good.

Baidol on
    edited September 2008

Tip a motherfuckin' cow

Is it?

I'm not a big seafood person so I've never gone

Also good food in the area is some great indian curry at Wings Express

And I guess Main Street Cafe in Willimantic too

That's about it though

Straightzi on
    edited September 2008

Is it?

I'm not a big seafood person so I've never gone

Also good food in the area is some great indian curry at Wings Express

And I guess Main Street Cafe in Willimantic too

That's about it though

There's curry at Wings Express? Everyone orders from Wings over Storrs for the superior quality of the wings, so I've never even seen a menu for Wings Express.

Anyways, yeah, the Sushi place is good. The Thai restaurant is decent as well. The food is good, but the selection is rather limited. You get a free Thai iced tea with your UCONN ID, though.

Anyway, back to band.

Back in high school, freshman year there were no upperclassmen in the section. The one senior had been promoted to drum major, leaving the position of section leader to fall to a pair of sophomores. Not surprisingly, we often goofed off instead of worked during sectionals.

One day, our fearless leaders decided to go explore the woods adjacent to the school. Being more studious than the rest, I decided to stay behind and practice a bit. I could hear them chatting as they went in and heard them discover an old computer in the woods, which soon after went over the cliff. They had fun taking turns tossing it off the cliff for a little bit.

One of the guys who also decided to stay behind decided to hurl a rock in the general direction of the voices. Some cursing is heard, and then silence. All of a sudden, one of the guys tears out of the woods carrying the computer and hurls it at the other fellow. Fortunately, the offender was fast enough to dodge the projectile.

Not as exciting as lighting a penis on fire, but it's the only time I've seen a computer used as a deadly weapon.

Baidol on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I was the drum major. I had to act responsible. My stories are so lame.

Uncle Long on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »

sup let's be lame together

8-)

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited September 2008

8-)

I fail to see at what point being drum major and acting responsibly became intertwined.

Baidol on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah Wings Express has a lot of good Indian food, and pretty cheap too

I enjoy it heartily when I get the chance

Straightzi on
    edited September 2008

8-)

I'll go get my white coat and 3' white and red plume. Gimme a minute.

Uncle Long on
    edited September 2008

8-)

I fail to see at what point being drum major and acting responsibly became intertwined.

We "lost" our band director in the first week of the season and the band was mine. I had way too much shit to do and, at that point in my life, I gave a shit.

Uncle Long on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

drumline.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
    edited September 2008

drumline.jpg

Way lamer.

Uncle Long on
    edited September 2008
    your stories or that movie?

because that was a pretty good movie

Centipede Damascus on
    edited September 2008
    your stories or that movie?

because that was a pretty good movie

My stories are just terrible. They're like, alright, say you have a dog drowning in a pool. Nothing funny happened to get the dog in the pool. There's nothing you can do to get the dog out of the pool. Part of you wishes you could make up some sort of funny scenario so that at least you could tell the story later. But, in the end, it's just a dog drowning in a pool.

Possibly a paraplegic dog.

Uncle Long on
    edited September 2008
    That's a terrible story. Why are your stories so terrible?

Centipede Damascus on
    edited September 2008
    That's a terrible story. Why are your stories so terrible?

I don't know!

Uncle Long on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    that movie was awful

this is coming from a top of the line snare drummers point of view

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
    edited September 2008
    what was awful about it

I quite enjoyed it

Centipede Damascus on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was in Academic Decathalon/Mock Trial. We studied a lot. Our wild party involved going to the olive garden.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • StoverStover Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So at my highschool, the marching band practiced in a nearby open field. "Nearby" was actually about half a mile or so. The band got a lot of parade march practice marching down to the field, although about half of the time you were supposed to just be at the field by the start.

My last year of marching band, I headed up the field crew. We never had to march down, because we were too busy packing and unpacking a early 1980's school bus that had been converted into the Band Bus (basically took all the seats out, and added a few racks). The packing scheme had all the pit stuff tied down and then flags and water coolers and all sorts of things elsewhere. The only room we had for the sousaphone cases was on top of the bus. We always drove the sousaphones down because the band director was not easy with the idea of five idiots making their way down there with a highly expensive instrument by themselves.

Its not fun hauling 5 sousaphone cases up to the top of a bus. So we decide that we've got a better idea: one of the field crew has a full size pick-up truck, we'll just stick them in that. Hell yes.

Problem: with all 5 cases in the bed, the gate on the bed won't close.

Solution: I sit in the back and hold onto the fifth case.

All is well and good, until one day, the crew was running late. We left the band hall at the time we were supposed to be on the field. So the driver is driving pretty fast.

The way the field is set up, the asphalt road approaches and then turns away from the field, and a gravel parking lot bridges the gap.

Imagine if you will the shear terror I felt as this pickup truck began to spin out, and the sousaphone cases (with me attached to one of them) began sliding out with disturbing force. Luckily the driver handles it properly and we don't fully spin, and I am not thrown from the back of the truck in a small avalanche of thousands of dollars' worth of musical insturments.

From that day on, we hauled the cases up to the top of the bus.

Another funny story concerning that very same truck driver involved her driving over a $1000 trumpet. Wooops.

Stover on
    outoftheloop.jpg
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    One of our horn players (of which we have two) has a fucking huge dent in the front bend of his french horn that he claims was put there by a Honda. Apparently you can see the emblem in the dent but he's full of shit.

He also sounds like a mating moose covered in a thick blanket.

No interesting stories. He's just creepy and stupid.

SirToasty on
    edited September 2008
    I was the first horn all throughout High School and I can say, without any reservation, that the Trombone section was usually the most off the wall, but the French Horn sections were always the strangest, and rarely in a funny way.

Uncle Long on
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Im about to travel to Oregon St. with the SC band to watch the beavers get their asses kicked.

Trojans!

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    Im about to travel to Oregon St. with the SC band to watch the beavers get their asses kicked.

Trojans!

Hey, hey. Hey.

Play that one song.

You know which one.
    I am making fun of your band because our football team is going to lose terribly

TSR on
  • JifoochizomitJifoochizomit Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Woo band people! I did marching band all through high school, was drum major senior year. I am now a member of the Spirit of Gold Vanderbilt Marching Band. It is good, especially given our team's rank so far (21 bitches).

I play trumpet.

Jifoochizomit on
    XBOX Live Gamertag: The Hobultimate
    Games: CoD4, Halo 3
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TSR wrote: »

Trojans!

Hey, hey. Hey.

Play that one song.

You know which one.
    I am making fun of your band because our football team is going to lose terribly

My guess is that from the time I land in Oregon till the time I leave I'll probably play Tribute about 20,000 - 30,000 times

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TSR wrote: »

Trojans!

Hey, hey. Hey.

Play that one song.

You know which one.

My guess is that from the time I land in Oregon till the time I leave I'll probably play Tribute about 20,000 - 30,000 times

Honestly, do you guys get sick of it?

big l on