As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to keep a door shut without a lock

Motzy5Motzy5 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I plan on having a party at my house and my bedroom happens to be off of the kitchen where most people will be. The door doesnt have a lock on it and i cant lock it from the inside and go out a window to keep it closed so people dont go in it. Any ideas how i can prevent people from going in it without standing infront of it all night????

Motzy5 on

• RingmasterRingmaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    get a couple of two by fours, Nails and a hammer. Then Nail it Shut.

Ringmaster on
    Diablo 2 - Sinuath
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It doesn't take long to change the doorknob for one with a lock.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I was going to suggest barricading the entrance with heavy furniture, but this is a good solution that won't destroy your floor.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you worried about people going in maliciously, or just wandering through? I put a bunch of caution tape over doors I don't want people messing with and it's never failed.

Doc on
  • Motzy5Motzy5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well basically its in the main room where the party is going to be and i dont want people going in and stealing stuff or messing it up. I just need a way to keep it closed and open it when i need back in it that night

Motzy5 on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Books case in front of the door?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Motzy5Motzy5 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only idea i have now is to put the fridge infront of it, but i will also have to move the fridge to get back in the room. I think it might be the only option for me. I might even try to get a door stop and pull it through the bottom and ill only have to push it through to get back in. Hopefully people will be too drunk by that time to notice the door stop.

Motzy5 on
  • SchillKillSchillKill Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    Just stand infront of it all night with a beer in hand. When a girl asks whats in there, offer to show her. Boo ya

SchillKill on
  • DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Get a door stop alarm. They all basically work the same and you can probably find them at the drugstore or Big Lots or someplace like that. Basically you slip this behind the door and then if the door is opened and hits the plate it makes a godawful loud screeching sound.

DrFrylock on
  • TokyoRaverTokyoRaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shotgun, string.

They'll still be able to open the door, but only one person will. Guaranteed.

TokyoRaver on
    logo_phpBB.gif
  • edited September 2008
    Just tape it off or something. Get some of that police tape or danger tape from the hardware store and run it all along the doorway...it'd probably just make more people go in there thoughks.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Word5mithWord5mith Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Put the keg in front of it. Distraction is the key.

Word5mith on
    Echo wrote:
    Dear cultivation skill: over five minutes to grow a seed? Fuck you.
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Rocking chair at the window, facing away from the door, store window dummy with grey wig on head. People open the door, see old lady on rocking chair, appologise while backing out. Pretty soon word gets around that some old lady is in that room and really who wants to go into a room with an old lad in it when they're at a party?

Alternatively, just get one of these and attach it to the door and frame outside the room.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Put something in front of it, the table, a couch etc.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »

This. Any piece of furniture big enough that nobody is going to just walk past it will do.

exis on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    exis wrote: »
    Fallingman wrote: »

This. Any piece of furniture big enough that nobody is going to just walk past it will do.

An old lady on a rocking chair.

Actually, a couch is probably a good one. Whenever there's a party, any available gouching space is always immediately filled by someone who won't shift for the entire night, so put a nice inviting couch there and some waster will plonk himself on it obstructing any attempts to enter the bedroom.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Call me crazy, but maybe you shouldn't invite people who will steal your shit.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Motzy5 wrote: »
    I plan on having a party at my house and my bedroom happens to be off of the kitchen where most people will be. The door doesnt have a lock on it and i cant lock it from the inside and go out a window to keep it closed so people dont go in it. Any ideas how i can prevent people from going in it without standing infront of it all night????

Wait... if your door doesn't have a lock, where did this idea come from? Does your door have a lock, but just no external keyhole? If so, is it one of those ones with just a small little hole in the center of the exterior knob? These are absolutely trivial to pick with just a thin metal object (hairpin, small screwdriver, etc) and I'd suggest just locking the door and pulling it closed.

Daenris on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Swapping the knob is probably the easiest and most secure way of doing this.

If that's not a possibility, try this:

Get a little wedge doorstop from target/wal-mart etc. and punch a small hole through the front-most part of the stop. Tie a piece of string through the punched hole and set the stop behind the door you want to stay closed. Before the party, go ahead and close the door, threading the string under the door and outside, where you are. Pull the string until the stop is wedged under, preventing the door from opening. Cut the string.

While this isn't a foolproof way of "locking" the door, it should deter people from going in. Keep an eye out and know that anyone in there must have gone through some trouble to do so. Employ crowbar accordingly.

When you're done just take a yardstick and shove the stop back, allowing you access again.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cavalry-spikes.jpg
    Less noisy than the shotgun/string, and more fun than a locked door.

Or just don't invite thieves.

GungHo on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

This.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

No, this.

A sign on the door should suffice. You don't need to buy anything. Write "Off Limits" on the door. If you don't trust your friends enough to leave your door unlocked with a simple request, you might have a whole 'nother problem in your hands here.

mully on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    sculder wrote: »
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

No, this.

A sign on the door should suffice. You don't need to buy anything. Write "Off Limits" on the door. If you don't trust your friends enough to leave your door unlocked with a simple request, you might have a whole 'nother problem in your hands here.

Well, there's that, but there's also the scenario of you inviting people you trust. Who then in turn invite their friends or are not so trustworthy. Or friends of friends, or whatever.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You're having a party yes?

There will be food yes?

You'll need a table to serve said food yes?

Tables make effective barriers yes?

You see where I'm going, no?

Iceman.USAF on
  • FlapkeFlapke Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Take a wooden wedge, stick it under the door, door won't open.

Flapke on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What kind of door is it? If it's just a swinging door, not a rolling one all you need to do is unscrew the handle and then pull pin behind it out and screw the handle back on. The handle will turn and turn and turn but not open.

Then when the party is finished unscrew the handle, then replace the pin and you're golden.

Kelor on
  • AgrusarAgrusar Registered User new member
    Try hanging a large poster or tapestry or something over the door. They won't notice it's a door immediately and will soon be too drunk to look.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I'm going to throw out a wild guess that the party has already happened.

This discussion has been closed.