As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Nexus War - The Knights rise again!

• AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    *cough*

If there a any Knights online right now, you are requested to come back to the stronghold as soon as possible.
    We seem to be having trouble with a little demon infestation. >_>

Allon on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks like things are under control now. My rifle lost some enchantments, though. emot-saddowns.gif

Fats on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Darn it, they left all the 13 flags behind. I keep tripping over those damn things.

jothki on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ummm, why is Francis Nestor still in the SH? Sure he's good, but he's also an OS member and I assume he came in with the raid group that took our standard and various others. It was the OS that raided us, right?

werehippy on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    werehippy wrote:
    Ummm, why is Francis Nestor still in the SH? Sure he's good, but he's also an OS member and I assume he came in with the raid group that took our standard and various others. It was the OS that raided us, right?

He's RRF, not OS, and since he knew our ward was down, assumably an alt of a Pax member or something.

Aroduc on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

He's RRF, not OS, and since he knew our ward was down, assumably an alt of a Pax member or something.

Wow, hey, I'm retarded. Ignore me while I blather on incoherently :)

edit: On the plus side, I may be retarded but at least I asked before doing anything. I acknowledge my limitations and work around them.

werehippy on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jothki wrote:
    Darn it, they left all the 13 flags behind. I keep tripping over those damn things.
    :lol:

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited January 2007
    werehippy wrote:
    Aroduc wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Wow, hey, I'm retarded. Ignore me while I blather on incoherently :)

edit: On the plus side, I may be retarded but at least I asked before doing anything. I acknowledge my limitations and work around them.

<3<3<3

Srsly.

Allon on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, after playing a bit of Urban Dead, I decided to check out this whole Nexus War shebang and I've fallen in love with it. I've got two characters so far, a neutral that I'm planning on making a Revenant and an evil that will eventually become a Void Walker. I figure with a third character slot, why not make a good character! That's where you guys come in; any suggestions on a fun good-aligned class? I haven't pored over the options nearly as much as for my other two characters, so I'm open to suggestion... also, taking possible roles within the Knights into account would help cause I figure I'll join up with this character.

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Oops. Guess who was sleeping on the job again? >_>

Most of the classes are pretty good, so it won't make much of a difference.
    They all have their roles in the Knights. (Except for the car-tossers, we haven't found anything useful for them to do yet.)
    We are rather heavy on Seraphs at the moment, and we'd prefer it if remained semi-intact.
    What's left are Lightspeakers and Advocates, and frankly, any of those will do fine in the Knights. We are a bit short in the cool magicky department at the moment.
    Feel free to join up with a neutral class as well, ofcourse, if you're going Wizard, you can look forward to free oral sex.

Seeing as this is a new character, though, for now just join up for the bonuses and decide later. We can give some more indepth advice in the IRC channel.

Allon on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Spawn more liches. :wink:

Aroduc on
  • StaedtlerStaedtler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The wiki can give you all the gory details, but basically...

Shepherds cast spells, have an innate heal, can learn alchemy, and have a bevy of other support skills which are of less importance. Sorcerers are flat out superior to Shepherds, so you would only take this class for the sake of the tier 3 exits:

Advocates can enchant weapons and armor, have a powerful and accurate ranged attack (which uses the throwing tree, and completely outclasses anything the class can do with offensive spells), a powerful AoE (which completely outclasses anything the class can do with AoE spells), and have a bevy of other support skills of less importance. They're innately immune to unholy damage, which is pretty potent against specific enemies. Advocates are pretty versatile, and tend to take on whatever role is needed in a faction.

Lightspeakers specialize in pets. They're good for stronghold defense and are ESPECIALLY good at mopping up the meatshield on a raid.

Both Advocates and Lightspeakers suffer greatly from Holy immunity.

Paladins specialize in combat. They do more damage earlier in the game (compared to other combat classes) and are the only t2 class with innate soak.

Seraphs combine huge soak with huge damage and powerful charged attacks. They're a pretty simple class, so there isn't much to say about them.

Divine Champions are, by no small margin, the least developed class in the game. For this reason, they're pretty weak. By the time a new character reached tier 3, you could expect this to change, though. They're kind of the good analogue to Void Walkers, except instead of adapting their environment to suit their strengths, they adapt their strengths to suit their environment.

Staedtler on
    Give me a hug, mofo
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Staedtler wrote:
    Divine Champions are, by no small margin, the least developed class in the game. For this reason, they're pretty weak. By the time a new character reached tier 3, you could expect this to change, though. They're kind of the good analogue to Void Walkers, except instead of adapting their environment to suit their strengths, they adapt their strengths to suit their environment.

Somebody has clearly never been bludgeoned by a DC throwing a car or lesser smiting people with a telephone pole.

Aroduc on
    edited January 2007
    Allon wrote:
    (Except for the car-tossers, we haven't found anything useful for them to do yet.)

We have a distinct lack of heavy items lying around in our stronghold. We could use someone to find and haul them in, I want to build a car fort.

jothki on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jothki wrote:
    Allon wrote:
    (Except for the car-tossers, we haven't found anything useful for them to do yet.)

We have a distinct lack of heavy items lying around in our stronghold. We could use someone to find and haul them in, I want to build a car fort.
    It doesn't quite work that way, I think. They'll despawn after a while.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    jothki wrote:
    Allon wrote:

It doesn't quite work that way, I think. They'll despawn after a while.

The 80 cars sitting outside the RP SH say otherwise.

Aroduc on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    HtH Divine Champions are pretty amazing. There'd be no stopping them if they had Enhanced Senses. Low accuracy is a bit of an issue as well, though they can pick up Tiger Claw.

robosagogo on
    edited January 2007
    Well, the Divine Champion (in spite of the lack of development), sounds pretty damn cool. I think I'll work on heading towards that.

A couple questions. First, what is the point of Dust to Dust... are corpses used for something by other classes?

Second, what combat tree would you guys suggest... or maybe, what are the pros and cons between them for a DC. I know robo said HtH is really good, but why?

I'm just about to create my character. I'll edit in his name once I'm in and join up.

EDIT: Char name is Fortiuss

Also, I'm open for suggestions on some of the mortal skills I should take (I started with Ranged Weapons)

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    The best skill the DC has at his disposal is, in my opinion, Cloak of Steel. It adds +10 damage soak for every type (rendering you unstoppable) on top of +8 damage to your HtH attacks.

So that's 2 damage for fists+1 for Brass Knuckles+2 for Boxing+1 for Strong Attack+2 for Elite Attack+8 for CoS = 16 damage per punch in addition to your faction bonus.

That's pretty good considering you don't need to reload or worry about repairs.

Other builds are workable, but the DC really only excels at HtH compared to other classes who can do more with Melee and Thrown Weapons even though they aren't using telephone poles, cars, and fire swords.

And Dust to Dust doesn't do much beyond preventing Lichs from making zombies out of corpses and Nexus Champions from hunting you down after finding someone you killed.

robosagogo on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, the Divine Champion (in spite of the lack of development), sounds pretty damn cool. I think I'll work on heading towards that.

A couple questions. First, what is the point of Dust to Dust... are corpses used for something by other classes?

Second, what combat tree would you guys suggest... or maybe, what are the pros and cons between them for a DC. I know robo said HtH is really good, but why?

I'm just about to create my character. I'll edit in his name once I'm in and join up.

Also, I'm open for suggestions on some of the mortal skills I should take (I started with Ranged Weapons)

Ranged isn't a great starting skill for anybody really since you need to find ammo and keep your weapons in shape and thus it takes longer to gain the basic skills you need to actually do damage and gain experience quickly. As for what mortal skills to take... depends on what you're going to do with the DC. They make good punchers with Cloak of Steel's damage buff, but also can hit people with telephone poles (melee weapons) and/or throw cars at them (Thrown Weapons) so at least one of those, preferably not the third though for aforementioned reasons.

Edit: And to be fair, most things you can hit people with are around 12-15 damage as well before taking into account stuff like Strength (+2 damage) or the Paladin damage increasing skills. They're easily comparable in damage to HtH stuff and you earn style points as well.

Aroduc on
    edited January 2007
    I actually like Ranged for a starting skill. Searching a gun shop gives you as many weapons as bits of ammo, and without a specialization you can use them all without worry and do more damage than you would with another tree.

Ranged won't do you much good as a DC, though, since they don't have skills for arrows and guns and it's impossible to level with Thrown Weapons. However, Ranged can be effective for all Myrmidion exit classes and the Seraph. It's also workable for magic classes since Ranged Combat helps spell accuracy, though I'd caution against investing too much into a mortal combat tree for a future magic-type since your spells will inevitably outclass what you can do with guns and such.

The problem with using environmental objects instead of fists is the telephone poles are less accurate and the heavy objects need to be picked up (1 turn), thrown for damage (1 turn), and then picked up again...

robosagogo on
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:

Ranged isn't a great starting skill for anybody really since you need to find ammo and keep your weapons in shape and thus it takes longer to gain the basic skills you need to actually do damage and gain experience quickly. As for what mortal skills to take... depends on what you're going to do with the DC. They make good punchers with Cloak of Steel's damage buff, but also can hit people with telephone poles (melee weapons) and/or throw cars at them (Thrown Weapons) so at least one of those, preferably not the third though for aforementioned reasons.

Edit: And to be fair, most things you can hit people with are around 12-15 damage as well before taking into account stuff like Strength (+2 damage) or the Paladin damage increasing skills. They're easily comparable in damage to HtH stuff and you earn style points as well.

Hmmmmm... Well, I'm really attracted to the prospect of being able to throw a car at someone. Do I have room to eventually take a couple different combat trees so I can throw some cars if I feel like it, but won't need to rely on it?

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:

Hmmmmm... Well, I'm really attracted to the prospect of being able to throw a car at someone. Do I have room to eventually take a couple different combat trees so I can throw some cars if I feel like it, but won't need to rely on it?

Yes.

You can plan out your character in advance with ease using the character generator.

http://siddhant.name/games/nw/#Character_Generator

robosagogo on
  • PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My suggestion for a starting skill would be Search. It think it's an all around good skill to have. Allows you to pickup FAKs which is a reliable way of getting EXP and is useful any route you pick.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
    edited January 2007
    Dust to Dust is mostly a flavour skill, so don't pick it up unless your sure your build is complete and you have CP to burn, or you want to roleplay it for awesomeness.
    Liches use corpses to get their pets going, Nexus Champions can use their EoD to track down their killers, and Revenants gain a 5% hide bonus if there are 5 or more corpses in the area. The skill is good for flavour, but not worth it practically.

Combat trees is where the Divine Champion starts to break down a bit.
    Not because she sucks at combat, since her damage output and soak are pretty much without equal, but because she needs to take so many combat trees to get the most out of the class.
    You'll want HtH to punch people in the face with your fists of steel, Melee to stuff streetlights and flaming swords up their asses, and Thrown to toss fireballs and police cars at them.
    It's not a bad class, but you really *need* to know what you are doing, since you can't waste a single CP in your build.
    Personally, I cannot recommend them to anyone but veterans that have some experience with T3 builds.

Edit: Goddammit why did the thread move so fast all of a sudden? :<

Allon on
    edited January 2007
    Ok, well from the sounds of it, I think I'll grab Search for my next skill at level 2 and then try to focus on my combat trees from there. Even though I took Ranged Combat I think I'll wait to flesh out the tree until much later. I'll post a character build for critique in a little while.

EDIT:
    Ok, here's the build. It's still a little sloppy and obviously doesn't even go up to lvl 30 yet, but I just wanted to get a jump on some feedback:

1 10 Ranged Combat
    2 10 Search
    3 10 Sense Morality
    4 10 Melee Combat
    5 0 -- Saved --
    6 20 Advanced Melee Combat
    7 0 -- Saved --
    8 -5 Exploration Badges
    8 30 Fencing
    9 0 -- Saved --
    10 20 Divine Armor
    11 20 Lesser Smite
    12 20 Strengthen
    13 0 -- Saved --
    14 20 Strong Attack
    15 0 -- Saved --
    16 40 Elite Attack
    17 20 Thrown Weapons
    18 30 Advanced Thrown Weapons
    19 0 -- Saved --
    20 30 Wings
    21 30 Cloak of Steel
    22 30 Grace of Blood
    23 30 Cloak of the Vengeful Fire
    24 10 Hand to Hand Combat
    24 20 Martial Arts
    25 20 Boxing
    26 30 Advanced Martial Arts

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    A suggestion I'd make is perhaps to forego Fencing and pick up Strength and Stamina instead. Strength helps with the throwing and Stamina is always nice, but doubly so eventually since you'll be soaking everything but poison/curses like a mo-fo. While you do need Fencing for the Fire Sword, it's worth noting that a decently enchanted pristine sword will do better damage and can be enchanted with an elemental less soaked by demons, so if you are picking it up for Fire Sword, maybe rethink that. Still, swords are otherwise a good way to do damage for the most part, you just won't be getting much (if any) use out of it once you pick up Cloak of Steel. That's like, 10 tier-2 levels away though so... *shrug* Sense Magic is also a very nice skill just to save you headaches when dealing with portals. Maybe switch up the Melee combat stuff for the HtH stuff?

Aroduc on
    edited January 2007
    3 Trees is way too much. There are, eventually, going to be new skills for the DC and they'll probably be released before you even hit Tier 3. You ought to save some CP for their inevitable release.

robosagogo on
  • AmygdalaAmygdala Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    (72 times) You have aided in the destruction of the monster and have earned the Wyrm Foe badge! You have earned an additional 5 Character Points and an additional 500 Experience Points! (Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:06:40 +0000)
    For a sweet, sweet second, before Jorm froze the game and initiated the server rollback, I had over 60.000 xp and 430 CP.

Best bug ever.

Amygdala on
    spec.png
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Amygdala wrote:
    (72 times) You have aided in the destruction of the monster and have earned the Wyrm Foe badge! You have earned an additional 5 Character Points and an additional 500 Experience Points! (Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:06:40 +0000)
    For a sweet, sweet second, before Jorm froze the game and initiated the server rollback, I had over 60.000 xp and 430 CP.

Best bug ever.
    :(
    I really wanted to go on this...

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Amygdala wrote:

Best bug ever.

I went from having 4 CP to having 369! :P

Aroduc on
    edited January 2007
    Why am I never around for this? :(

Allon on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tarnok wrote:
    Welcome aboard!

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Allon wrote:
    Why am I never around for this? :(
    Because you live in a crazy moon country where people wear pants made of Gouda cheese and dinosaurs roam the canals looking for wayward travellers to feast on.

But yes, guys, the Knights are planning some awesome stuff for the near future. Awesome like a fox. And we need as many people helping out as we can.

Kate of Lokys on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I died, and now I'm stuck on harpers island

How do I leave this horrible place?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This game isn't working in any of my browsers. The bar on the right side (where you log in and stuff) disappears after the page finishes loading.

rayofash on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There are several ways to leave Harper Island!

1. Go to 47, 56 and ride the ferry to the mainland.
    2. Die.

The page is working for me rayofash.

Nartwak on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Raslin wrote:

61,60 takes you to Stygia. :P Failing that, the ferry to Maquez and Jonestown is at 47,56.

Aroduc on
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Raslin wrote:

61,60 takes you to Stygia. :P Failing that, the ferry to Maquez and Jonestown is at 47,56.

It's now fairly easy to hide in the snow in Stygia, if you can find an out of the way place to AP out you might be fine. Just keep heading southeast, there's a fortress in the corner with a portal to the fortress just north of our stronghold.

jothki on