As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Warriors: It's my rage and I need it NOW!

MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
1-26.jpg

END.

Mgcw on

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TheWolfman wrote:
    Personally, I really don't give two shits about all this stupid theorycraft numbers bullshit. Especially the level that goes on lately.

"Your spec only does 500 dps, when you could be doing 600 with another, and you put a point into Talent X which sux and you only have 80 hit when you should have 90... LOL NUB U FUX SUX!!!!11!"

Titan Grip? It was fun. Remember what fun used to be?

I had 2 huge weapons in each hand, and I was swinging away and decimating the population, and I was having a blast. I did not care one bit that with another spec, I could have killed that mob 7.89 seconds faster. I did not fly into a nerd rage when I saw the word MISS come up on the screen. I was playing, and damnit I was having a blast.

Now with that said, I'm not completely ignorant to the numbers game and how you need X and Y to be viable in the long run. And I do think a 15% miss rate might be too steep and need tweaking.

But for the time being, I don't care. I don't have 15 damage mods running with a spreadsheet and all that shit. I'm just playing what I think is fun. And running around the world with 2 giant swords on my back is fun.

See, that's fun for you, and that's awesome. Missing isn't fun for me. It's fucking annoying. Especially when I'm expecting a huuuuuuuuge bloodthirst crit, or whatever.

Also, as a pretty hardcore-raider (well, once LK goes live), It's fun for me to be competitive. The way things are looking now (based on numbers and real world examples), warriors aren't competitive at all. I'm expecting the "numbers pass" this week or the next though, and I have my fingers crossed.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    From the latest patch notes:
    * Sunder Armor now lasts until cancelled.

How's that gonna work? "Oh, look, that Warrior sundered me, better right click it to make it go away"?

reVerse on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Those aren't patch notes, that's just what MMO-Champion puts up after reviewing the datamined stuff. Blizzard's notes are out of date as fuck and usually not even updated w/ new pushes anymore, I'll let you know what it actually means or if it's a typo or whatever else when I've downloaded the patch/servers are back up.

Mgcw on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

How's that gonna work? "Oh, look, that Warrior sundered me, better right click it to make it go away"?

When you get sundered by someone from the opposing faction, you must log out to remove the debuff.

Wavechaser on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's kinda nice -- it's a pain in the ass to have to move away from a boss for a few seconds because of some fight mechanic and come back to find your precious Sunders gone. Same goes for stacks of Vengeance on my pally.

Hamurabi on
    edited September 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    That's kinda nice -- it's a pain in the ass to have to move away from a boss for a few seconds because of some fight mechanic and come back to find your precious Sunders gone. Same goes for stacks of Vengeance on my pally.

Yeah, but the PvP implications are rather severe. Also "Until Cancelled," how the hell would you cancel a debuff you put on a mob/boss/mob boss?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Yeah, but the PvP implications are rather severe. Also "Until Cancelled," how the hell would you cancel a debuff you put on a mob/boss/mob boss?

Maybe Sunder doesn't stack anymore, and now just automatically applies the amount of armor-reduction of a 5-stack. This is more or less in line with their plan to remove the "...causes a high amount of threat" suffix to a lot of abilities.

Hamurabi on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Servers are back up, so I hopped on and checked. Nothing's changed as far as I can tell. Still stacks to 5, still vanishes when 30 seconds are up.

Beats the shit out of me what "Cancelled" means, because it's still exactly the same.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Having not played my Warrior in many months (or WoW in general for that matter), I am hells of excited to try new Prot. Friends have been saying great things about it.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hello warrior people, I have a quick (and probably dumb) question for you.

I was flicking through some high-end tank profiles recently as part of an effort to learn a bit more about how my fellow tanks operate, and I was surprised to find that most of them seem to have very little Strength on their gear. I had always assumed that warriors would balance some strength on their gear for threat the way a prot pally does spell damage, but it doesn't seem to be the case. This left me a bit stumped regarding how your threat scales as you gear up.

So yeah, how does your threat scale? Is it purely from BV adding to your Shield Slam damage or what?

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
    edited September 2008
    Warrior threat scales like shit, which is a problem that they are fixing, but yes most of it comes from BV and attack power even though there's not much of it (Str) on tanking gear currently.

Mgcw on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    kaleedity's (the same name in the armory) dps tests: average arms sample vs. average titan's grip sample. Everything taken from today's PTR.

arms maces[stormherald]: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Kaleedity/WoWScrnShot_092408_210759.jpg
    tit's grip[stormherald/gorehowl]: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Kaleedity/WoWScrnShot_092408_210728.jpg
    2x1h fury test for chuckles[fool's bane/king's defender]: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Kaleedity/WoWScrnShot_092408_210735.jpg

Used romulo's poison vial for titan's grip, the abacus for other builds, if that'd matter. All two handers have savagery. No enchants on one handers.

Will try more axe arms builds with gorehowl (my only sample had an outlier-low crit%) and more rend-y arms builds later.
    lawlret

The warrior had something like 33% crit and 2785ap in zerker stance self buffed with tg, for comparison.

kaleedity on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I notice you didn't do a test with Taste for Blood while staying in Battle Stance >.>... I'm curious, actually at what that can achieve. It can't be all that different than what you got with that spec.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Am I missing something? Why are nearly half his hits glancing blows? Is he even skilled up properly?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »
    kaleedity's (the same name in the armory) dps tests: average arms sample vs. average titan's grip sample. Everything taken from today's PTR.

arms maces[stormherald]: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Kaleedity/WoWScrnShot_092408_210759.jpg
    tit's grip[stormherald/gorehowl]: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Kaleedity/WoWScrnShot_092408_210728.jpg
    2x1h fury test for chuckles[fool's bane/king's defender]: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Kaleedity/WoWScrnShot_092408_210735.jpg

Used romulo's poison vial for titan's grip, the abacus for other builds, if that'd matter. All two handers have savagery. No enchants on one handers.

Will try more axe arms builds with gorehowl (my only sample had an outlier-low crit%) and more rend-y arms builds later.
    lawlret

The warrior had something like 33% crit and 2785ap in zerker stance self buffed with tg, for comparison.

I'm impressed, I would have figured TG was further behind Arms in DPS than that, but 100 isn't that bad.

And for the ret stuff, yeah...

On my pally who is in greens and blues, I was pulling between 1k, and 1.1k dps. Crazy shit.

Wavechaser on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

When you get sundered by someone from the opposing faction, you must log out to remove the debuff.

If that's true I will cry.

Henroid on
    edited September 2008
    Am I missing something? Why are nearly half his hits glancing blows? Is he even skilled up properly?

Because damage vs a Dummy counts as Overkill which recount counts as Glancing blows, or some shit. Basically that part is irrelevant since Recount isn't updated to account for it.
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »

lawlret

I'm impressed, I would have figured TG was further behind Arms in DPS than that, but 100 isn't that bad.

And for the ret stuff, yeah...

On my pally who is in greens and blues, I was pulling between 1k, and 1.1k dps. Crazy shit.

Yes, it's not far behind, Kaleedity's screenshots are very close to what I was doing with almost identical specs.

Mgcw on
    edited September 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Because damage vs a Dummy counts as Overkill which recount counts as Glancing blows, or some shit. Basically that part is irrelevant since Recount isn't updated to account for it.

Crits in general show up in Recount as Glancings. Crushings are (I think) misses, and... i forget the rest. Also, my arms spec was doing a little bit more more damage than TG, but my DW 1h build was doing about 20% more.

1100 (arms) vs. 1350 (DW 1h)

Of course, with the arms build, I didn't really have a rotation, per se. So I could probably bring it up a bit. But now lvl 70 dummies are gone... alas.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Having a charge in combat and in every stance is my favorate thing so far about prot. My favorate thing about tanking is zipping around with intercept and intervene. It makes tanking easier when you can say "Ok, I'll build threat on these mobs here and when the healer pulls aggro on the last one I'll just grab it and taunt".

Scroffus on
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is the new Rend worth using based solely on the merits of the ability, before taking taste for blood into account? Is imp Rend actually worth the talent points now?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd rather go 2/2 Imp Rend than 2/5 Parry for PVE DPS.

815165 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    So I recently started playing WoW again. I had a 64 UD Fury warrior than I enjoyed very much. Bloodthirst, Unbridled Rage, crying over missing Death Wish. Good times.

I have a 28 human warrior now that I'm leveling prot. I'm having fun using Imp. Shield Block and Revenge as my main sources of surviving and damage. It's actually been more fun than DWing with Fury. I rarely ever die and I end most fights losing 30% or less health. It's more good times to be had.

My question is, how long is this going to be viable for me to level with? At what point will Revenge tail off? Will Shield Slam be a viable replacement for it? Am I better off going Arms or Fury for MS or BT at some point?

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2008
    You can level as prot all the way to 70, it's just going to take you approximately 3 times longer than fury or arms.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited September 2008
    Really? I seem to be having less down time since I'm not taking as much damage as I was with my Fury warrior. I know I'm killing slower, but not having to stop after every 2 enemies seems to make it up for it.

Not that I care much, I'm just trying to have fun with the game again. I had multiple 70s and did alot of raiding before, but now I'm just relaxing and having fun with it. I'm treating it more like an actual game again instead of math homework.

Maybe I'll try Arms at some point. I never once respecced out of Fury on my UD warrior, so that'd be new to me too.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2008
    Arms is fun sometimes. You'll go from killing a mob in 3 seconds with a couple lucky crits to the next mob which will take you from 100% to 20% before you kill it. I didn't like it that much (also i kept thinking I was lagging or standing too far away with the massive swing timers).

Scroffus on
    edited September 2008
    Prot is fun untill you get Devastate, because from then on there's no reason to use anything else.

815165 on
    edited September 2008
    Really? I seem to be having less down time since I'm not taking as much damage as I was with my Fury warrior. I know I'm killing slower, but not having to stop after every 2 enemies seems to make it up for it.

Not that I care much, I'm just trying to have fun with the game again. I had multiple 70s and did alot of raiding before, but now I'm just relaxing and having fun with it. I'm treating it more like an actual game again instead of math homework.

Maybe I'll try Arms at some point. I never once respecced out of Fury on my UD warrior, so that'd be new to me too.

First Aid. Learn it. Love it.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited September 2008
    I'm already making Heavy Silk Bandages at 28. :P

and Scroffus, I went through that with Fury too. You'd get a string of crits on one mob and then nothing on the next. It'd be really frustrating sometimes.

JustinSane07 on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    Prot is fun untill you get Devastate, because from then on there's no reason to use anything else.

I would spam up 5 devestates and then mix in Shield Slams. It was fun while I was farming Wintersaber rep, using it on the Furbolgs would cause them to shrink.

Seg on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

and Scroffus, I went through that with Fury too. You'd get a string of crits on one mob and then nothing on the next. It'd be really frustrating sometimes.

The slowness of a two hander has you feeling like it is worse.

Seg on
    edited September 2008

Yeah, but it feels so much worse as arms. Of course much could have changed from when I last specced arms about 2-3 years ago.

Scroffus on
    edited September 2008
    You should be making Heavy Runecloth Bandages at 28, and Heavy Netherweave at 35. These will make melee "downtime" a joke.

Of course "should" is relative. If you don't have a high level character to farm runecloth and netherweave, it's obviously less realistic.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but all my old 70s are Horde on another server.

This is a fresh character on a fresh server. Unless you want to buy me gold, I'll be working with what I can farm.

JustinSane07 on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone still spec sword specialization? With the new mace specialization nerf will it be viable again?

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone still spec sword specialization? With the new mace specialization nerf will it be viable again?

Sword spec was always viable. Viable != optimal.

But yes, I'd imagine now that mace spec has been made less game-deciding, sword spec will be viable.

Grundlestiltskin on
    edited September 2008
    I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Gift of the Naaru is sexy in 3.0. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited September 2008
    MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited September 2008
    I really like that axe, loads.

Generally the item design I've seen in Wrath has been really awesome.

815165 on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Those designs are nice.

Now the question is, are we going to see them on every other weapon? Because that would be unfortunate.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
This discussion has been closed.