As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack Thompson permanently disbarred

SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Hoorjay.
Note: this is a .pdf document.

5gsowHm.png
Syngyne on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Another month, another Jack Thompson thread.

UnbreakableVow on
  • arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Not the last--this probably means a book deal or something

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aww, that's too bad.

All he wanted to do was to make the future safe and happy.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was actually just thinking a few days ago how far along the disbarrment proceedings were.

This is fantastic.

EDIT: maybe mention that it's a pdf link, PDF's slow my browser to a crawl =/

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I want to say it is the end of an era, but this doesn't mean he is going to shut up at all. I think that book deal mentioned above is the likely next step. God forbid it becomes a "NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER," but I see that on like every Goddamn book so it must not mean much.

Henroid on
  • zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did I read that correctly.

He has to pay $43k to the florida bar.

hahahahahahahaha

zeppelin on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jack Thompson: Relevant Y/N?

N

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I want to say it is the end of an era, but this doesn't mean he is going to shut up at all. I think that book deal mentioned above is the likely next step. God forbid it becomes a "NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER," but I see that on like every Goddamn book so it must not mean much.

Now he's free from the expectations of the bar. He can be a total dick and not have to operate within certain parameters. Of course, he's still knowledgeable (hehe), so he could always find some other attorney to take his case(s). Just because he can't argue it himself doesn't mean that someone else can't do it for him. Frankly, they'd probably do a better job.

Omegasquash on
    edited September 2008
    zeppelin wrote: »
    Did I read that correctly.

He has to pay $43k to the florida bar.

hahahahahahahaha

yea, he does.

I agree that this won't shut him up, but it really will hurt his credibility.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think even Fox News is starting to ignore him now that it's blatantly apparent that he's an utter dingbat.

Oh sure, he'll keep talking, but he's lost all credibility now. He'll now have to bump shoulders with all the bored soccer moms yelling about the dangers of vidja games because they have nothing better to do.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I may have to throw a party. Maybe even a shindig.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The proceeding were a couple months ago, from which he was present, but only now are the finding released. During those proceedings he did recieve additional harsh treatment from the ABA.

I would have paid to see that ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anyone every notice this?

Jack Thompson
    John Titor

J T

He was just trying to save us from an evil future!

Evander on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think even Fox News is starting to ignore him now that it's blatantly apparent that he's an utter dingbat.

Oh sure, he'll keep talking, but he's lost all credibility now. He'll now have to bump shoulders with all the bored soccer moms yelling about the dangers of vidja games because they have nothing better to do.

Hopefully that means he'll stop showing up as an "expert" on tv.

Unless it's an expert jackass.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I just said that on the D/D thread about this, Absolute. Get out of my head!

And the book deal could possibly be worse if it manages to sell well. You'll get a bunch of middle americans thinking he's right with his crazy fucking ways. That's the last thing we, as gamers, need.

JustinSane07 on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, it's nice to get an update, is all. It's nice what happens when we stand up a bit.

Yeah, I do attribute it party (mostly?) to gamers getting mad enough to do something.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Antishow on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, it's nice to get an update, is all. It's nice what happens when we stand up a bit.

Yeah, I do attribute it party (mostly?) to gamers getting mad enough to do something.

While that might have brought it to someone's attention, that has nothing to do with his disbarrment. It mostly has to do with his inability to be professional. Threatening people in court, saying words like "CUNTFLAPS", etc. It's all over on GamePolitics.com if you wanna look it up.

JustinSane07 on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Is that mother turned out?

If not do you wish to turn said mother out?

Shogun on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why is a female stick figure being used for Gary Coleman.

I mean I know Gary Coleman is played by a female, but it's still supposed to be Gary Coleman dammit.

Bad youtube. Bad.

Khavall on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Come to think of it, he rarely ACTUALLY sued anyone though. He just like to threaten to it seems like.

So now we'll still hear from him in the same capacity, except he'll have to hire his own lawyer.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited September 2008

While that might have brought it to someone's attention, that has nothing to do with his disbarrment. It mostly has to do with his inability to be professional. Threatening people in court, saying words like "CUNTFLAPS", etc. It's all over on GamePolitics.com if you wanna look it up.

We helped bring his shenanigans to light by writing to the bar. Well, at least bhealy did.

The threatening and such that you're talking about was all during the disbarment hearings, that I like to think we helped set in motion.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Now he's free from the expectations of the bar. He can be a total dick and not have to operate within certain parameters. Of course, he's still knowledgeable (hehe), so he could always find some other attorney to take his case(s). Just because he can't argue it himself doesn't mean that someone else can't do it for him. Frankly, they'd probably do a better job.

No (smart) attorney is going to take advice and prosecute cases brought to him by another ex-attorney who was disbarred because of unethical conduct and abuse of the legal system.

slash000 on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Pretty much. His disbarment had everything to do with his complete lack of professionalism and his extreme abuse of the legal system, and nothing to do with the actual issues of his cases.

The threatening and such that you're talking about was all during the disbarment hearings, that I like to think we helped set in motion.

No, he did it during actual cases (and attempted cases, you could say) preceding the disbarment hearing as well.

In fact, it was his poor conduct in previous cases that got him into a disbarment hearing in the first place.

slash000 on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    in the spirit of crushing JT, I propose throwing a party. We would have chips and drinks and a JT dartboard and then play lots of GTA

Viscountalpha on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's just... I know it's better that he's gone. I know it's better. That said, it's nice, you know, to have an example of crazy; someone in the room to point at when someone asks you what crazy is. If ever there was a man that you could make sure not to be, it was Jack Thompson. We had a laugh, and now the world is slightly more sane. I don't know why I feel a little down. I guess these things never feel the way you think they'll feel when you wanted them.

If that makes any sense.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HI I'M JACK THOMPSON I DON'T NEED TO BE A LAWYER TO CONSTANTLY TALK SHIT RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE OH LOOK AT THE TIME I MUST GO I'VE GOT RUMOURS TO POST ON KOTAKU HAHAHAHA

Didn't we stop caring about this man like a year ago? Why is every tiny bit of news thread worthy, or even worthy of my time thinking about this abhorrent excuse for a man

The_Scarab on
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Didn't we stop caring about this man like a year ago? Why is every tiny bit of news thread worthy, or even worthy of my time thinking about this abhorrent excuse for a man

For the record, I have never advocated that the best way to deal with the "Jack Thompson" problem, or any problem for that matter, is to ignore it. I think Gabe was pretty off base when he said that the best thing to do was not to talk about JT.

I know it probably wasn't what you were talking about, but you reminded me is all.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

For the record, I have never advocated that the best way to deal with the "Jack Thompson" problem, or any problem for that matter, is to ignore it.

Well it is when the problem is that someone disruptive gets attention. What has Jack been able to actually do? Nothing. Raised a bunch of shit, got thrown out of court and disbarred.

If we weren't constantly talking about him no-one would know about him because he has done nothing.

The_Scarab on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Not the last--this probably means a book deal or something

Actually, he has released a book through Christian publisher Tyndale House, and has claimed that his disbarment is in part a retaliation for it.

No, folks, I am not making this up. Seriously, I couldn't, even if I tried.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited September 2008
    hey thanks for being the guy who always has to make one of these posts in a JT thread, we appreciate your support of discussion forums

UncleSporky on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Now that he's gone, someone more professional is going to step up to bat and hit a homer for those anti-game nazis.

At least when JT was around he was entertaining enough and stupid enough to divert attention away from how videogames are pure fucking evil.

4rch3nemy on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey thanks for being the guy who always has to make one of these posts in a JT thread, we appreciate your support of discussion forums

Seriously

Turkey on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, the dude getting disbarred isn't some tiny piece of news where he's holding up a picture of GTA4 and smiling.

He was fucking permanently disbarred.

That's huge

Khavall on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

No (smart) attorney is going to take advice and prosecute cases brought to him by another ex-attorney who was disbarred because of unethical conduct and abuse of the legal system.

There are more idiots where JT came from.

I'm lookin at you, Florida.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shogun wrote: »

Is that mother turned out? NO

If not do you wish to turn said mother out? YES

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wish I had seen Avenue Q earlier so I could have seen it a second time.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited September 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

wunderbar on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ahem...

[Colbert]
    I CALLED IT!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[/Colbert]
    We knew it was coming. Given his history, how could it not come? Honestly, it's not all that much to get worked up about.

Monger on
  • anomagnusanomagnus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    while its no surprise, it is news worthy, and it made me laugh

not in an evil, that mans career is destroyed way, but in a fitting punishment way. while i have no sympathy for him, he made his choices willingly, i feel sorry for his wife and family. Remember, mrs thompson has cancer, and paying for treatment on one income will be hard.

but, ultimatly, its hard to feel sorry for a man, who, with a sick wife, STILL continuted on his path, KNOWING that he was putting in jeopardy their financial security.

he really is a selfish man.

anomagnus on