As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Captain America: Now With 20% More Angst!

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really like the Natasha/Bucky relationship.

I hope Sam, Natasha, and Sharon all stick around in the book.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It still amazes me that this book is so awesome and since #25 Cap isn't even in it. Has that ever been done before? I mean he kills the main star character of the book and it gets better.

smokmnky on
  • NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So was the Captain America that came out this week the end of the entire Death of Captain America saga/arc/whatever? I've been wanting to start Captain America but I didn't want to start in the middle of a 20 issue arc. Eventually I'll get around to buying the omnibus and the Death of Cap trades, but I want to start getting the monthly as well.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
    edited September 2008
    I would surmise that the next issue is as good as a jumping on point as any. The Red Skull is still running around, and so is Dr. Faustus somewhere - but Bucky has now firmly been entrenched as the new Captain America and most of the long running plotlines have been relativley tied up.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I would surmise that the next issue is as good as a jumping on point as any. The Red Skull is still running around, and so is Dr. Faustus somewhere - but Bucky has now firmly been entrenched as the new Captain America and most of the long running plotlines have been relativley tied up.

Just try not to be too freaked out when you find out that Red Skull is now
    stuck in an Arnim Zola robot body.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Really, that is kind of his schtick.
    smokmnky wrote: »
    It still amazes me that this book is so awesome and since #25 Cap isn't even in it. Has that ever been done before? I mean he kills the main star character of the book and it gets better.
    What the hell are you talking about? Cap was all over this issue.

You mean Steve, right? It's like the presidency. It's the office, not the man.

Crimsondude on
    edited September 2008
    Still, there was significant chunk of time between Steve's death and when Bucky took the mantle

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It was like 7 issues, which roughly translates into 7 months of real time between Steve Roger's death and Bucky taking the shield. If I recall, he officially became the new Cap in issue #32 or there abouts.

Lucascraft on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Really, that is kind of his schtick.
    smokmnky wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? Cap was all over this issue.

You mean Steve, right? It's like the presidency. It's the office, not the man.

Sorry, I should have said Steve. I still associate Captain America with Steve Rogers.

smokmnky on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    It was like 7 issues, which roughly translates into 7 months of real time between Steve Roger's death and Bucky taking the shield. If I recall, he officially became the new Cap in issue #32 or there abouts.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok after finishing the Omnibus I have come to 2 conclusions. One, this is my favorite comic of ALL TIME and Two, I HATE giant hardbacks.

So it looks like vol. 3 of the trades is coming out next month but amazon and B&N's only list it in hardback. Are they going hardback only with these trades? I love trades but I think I'd rather get them in paperback but I want them all in one type or the other so I can't decide if I want to keep going in hardback or paperback (I know I'm anal) :P

powersurge on
    edited November 2008
    Brubaker does amazing things. Captain America and Daredevil are my 2 most anticipated books each month.

Lucascraft on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dig hardbacks, but hate omnibuses, they're just too unwieldy.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It takes a real man to handle literature of that magnitude.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ha. for stuff like omnibuses or absolutes, i'd like to have one of those book stand like unabridged bibles have. that way i wouldn't be expected to pick it up, just walk to the podium that i display captain america on.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    I like my omnibuses, they make my bookshelf look very awesome

But yeah, they are a bit less comfortable to read than trades. I think it's worth it for the higher quality art, though

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited November 2008
    just read it on a table if you cant handle it WIMPS

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If only the research on the super-soldier serum hadn't been cut so tragically short. These omnibuses wouldn't be pushing anyone around then.

desc on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I do most of my reading in bed, and I have no problem with the omnibusesssesi. Except for the tendency for the blood to get cut off from my legs under the weight.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like omnibuses, because I like having my comics on the shelf next to my Complete Shakespeare and Complete Poe and having them fit in.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited November 2008
    I love it when Brubaker throws us flashbacks of WWII. Some of my favorite sequences from the Winter Soldier arc are the flashback scenes. The most recent issue with features the original Human Torch has been pretty cool so far, and I'm honestly more interested to find out what happened in the past than I am in the present.

Lucascraft on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm interested in the new arc Brubaker has started, but I wasn't a fan of the last issue. Some of the transitions between panels felt weird, and Cap was making some awkward stances throughout the book. I still can’t work out the scene where he hops off his bike to clothesline those dudes.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Luke Ross doesn't seem to have the fight scenes down as well as the rest of Brubaker's Cap team but other than that, he's a good fit for the book.

It's mind bogglingly amazing how much I love Captain America these days.

As a child/obnoxious lil brat, I thought along with Superman he was one of the corniest superheroes around but after getting back into comics, Brubaker's run pimpslapped me hard.

And just when I thought the book couldn't make it any better for me, they bring back Bucky (perfectly), they turn him into what is becoming one of my favorite Marvel characters and then Ed seamlessly transitions him into the role of Captain America as if the character of Bucky was born and created to fulfill this legacy, do just this and the execution thus far has been nothing but wonderful.

And to top it all off, I love the damn costume, I don't care what anybody says about the classic, I'm not missing it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited November 2008
    I didn’t like the new costume initially when they showed previews of it being ultra shiny, but it’s grown on me since then.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited November 2008
    The new costume is beautiful

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think my favorite things about the new costume are that a) it's highly functional, b) it suits the character that Brubaker has fleshed out, and c) when Steve Rogers comes back, Bucky will still be able to wear this uniform.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Steve Rogers shouldn't come back :<

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

Absolutely.

Crimsondude on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I agree, but come on - we all know it's going to happen at some point (most likely, around the time the movie hits in 2010).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I'd be fine with him coming back in like, 10 years. But I want Bucky to stay as the Cap for a good long time.

Deep down, I know it's not going to happen though,

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been reading this backwards. I jumped into reading Cap right when Bucky took over, and it was awesome. Then I went out and got the Death of Cap vol1 and 2. Tomorrow I'm going to grab the Omnibus and finally get at the rest of the goodness.

Dareth Ram on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I got this for my birthday and it just reaffirmed why I love Captain America (Steve Rogers) so much.

The ending was so sad, I'm getting to a point where my favorite comic books are those that are really depressing and grim.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zeromus wrote: »

Absolutely.

I hope not. I'd rather they keep it a little more grounded (Well as grounded as a Super Hero comic can be). :P

powersurge on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The giant Robot-Head guy kind of ruins any sort of ground, don't you think?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Armin Zola is really just the tip of the iceberg, in terms of ridiculousness. But the fact that super powered villains and heroes have been mostly absent from the series is nice. Crazy stuff has happened, but not to the extent that you’d expect from a Captain America comic.

AJR on
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    edited November 2008
    Steve Rogers should never, ever, ever come back.

Dareth Ram on
    edited November 2008
    My prediction for Steve Rogers:

As long as Brubaker is on the book, the shield will be worn by Captain Bucky. As soon as Brubaker leaves the book, they will put another top writer on but the new writer will only do a couple story arcs. Then they will get someone crappy and the book will go in the tank, and they will revive Steve Rogers to revitalize interest in the book.

Lucascraft on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

As long as Brubaker is on the book, the shield will be worn by Captain Bucky. As soon as Brubaker leaves the book, they will put another top writer on but the new writer will only do a couple story arcs. Then they will get someone crappy and the book will go in the tank, and they will revive Steve Rogers to revitalize interest in the book.

Good theory, but I think Steve will come back either before or during his movie coming out. I think Marvel will use his return to end the Dark Reign.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Good theory, but I think Steve will come back either before or during his movie coming out. I think Marvel will use his return to end the Dark Reign.

Yea, I don't see them leaving him dead when his movie comes out in 2010? (or is it 2011?) Either way, I think back in black proves that they will do pretty much anything to tie into the movies.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited November 2008
    I hope they do the opposite, and make Bucky Captain America in the movie!

Dareth Ram on