As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop into Flatscreen

SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
Does anyone know if or how it's possible to convert my laptop LCD screen into a flat panel for a desktop? I haven't take it off to see what connectors it has I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar to this.

I was thinking about doing this when I get a desktop to replace my laptop in a while. If it matters I have a Gateway M680.

Also if anyone else has a Gateway M680 and doesn't need their main heatsink/fan I would really like it. My fan is going and haven't found a replacement cheaper than $40.

[x] Bolt Bus
[x] Radisson Hotel Boston
[x] Pre-Pax Dinner
[x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

SoCo_and_Lime on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not possible.

*Not without knowing the exact pinout of the ribbon cable, and being willing to hack something that will output the same signal, etc etc etc. tl;dr - no

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Look on some laptop modding forums. They'll be able to tell you the kind of parts you need, and whether or not it's even worth it.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, it's very possible, and it's what a lot of DIY projector builders do if they've got a busted laptop.

It's not cheap though.

First, you'll need to strip the lcd completely, with backlight, and make a new frame for it, which is the easy part.

Next, you'll need to find an lcd controller board. Talk to some of the folks over at lumenlab.com for help with that, there's a million sticky posts on it.

The ones there will set you back around $200, but they will have power, vga, dvi, svideo, composite, and component.

There was a guy in korea selling through a company in florida on ebay that had lcd controller boards with just vga for about $80 shipped, but I haven't seen him selling in a couple months.

good luck.

Honestly though, it's going to be as expensive as buying a new monitor unless the guy on ebay starts up shop again, or unless you're really good with sodering and wiring.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, it's very possible, and it's what a lot of DIY projector builders do if they've got a busted laptop.

It's not cheap though.

First, you'll need to strip the lcd completely, with backlight, and make a new frame for it, which is the easy part.

Next, you'll need to find an lcd controller board. Talk to some of the folks over at lumenlab.com for help with that, there's a million sticky posts on it.

The ones there will set you back around $200, but they will have power, vga, dvi, svideo, composite, and component.

There was a guy in korea selling through a company in florida on ebay that had lcd controller boards with just vga for about $80 shipped, but I haven't seen him selling in a couple months.

good luck.

Honestly though, it's going to be as expensive as buying a new monitor unless the guy on ebay starts up shop again, or unless you're really good with sodering and wiring.

Hmm..it does sound like I might as well buy a monitor. Just seems like such a waste since this one is just fine.

Maybe I'll ask some electrical engineering students and see what they can do. Yay college.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Unless you're specifically coming up with a project that uses an old laptop LCD, I'm going to go ahead and tell you the answer is "no." If you're just looking for a cheap LCD monitor that is not going to be the way. It would require more time and money than just buying a nice 19"+ widescreen monitor

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If the hardware in the laptop all works (from the sounds of it does except that your CPU fan is going) it's pretty easy to do through software. The only program I'm aware of for it though (and could be there's a free one so it's worth looking) is MaxiVista.

There's a trial, and the full versions range from 30 to 60 dollars.

If the trial works for you, I'd consider just ripping open the laptop and buying any replacement fan that works (buy a high speed BIOS fan if nothing else but you should aim for something with comparable airflow.) Generally you can just screw replacement fans right into the heatsink fins if you have to. If the fin spacing is too wide for screws to 'bite' into them directly, you can bend pairs of fins closer together to give screws something to latch into.

Downsides are

-it's still not free
    -it works through virtual drivers and network connections so you'll need that laptop networked
    -the non-LCD components are also going to be running so your power usage is going to be higher than with a separate LCD.

You know this makes me wonder how well one of those tiny integrated 1ghz/1gb RAM VIA motherboards would work to drive regular desktop LCD's for other computers using the software.

edited to fix the URL

Ego on
    Erik