As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

stupid SBS 2003

PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
is there a quick guide to stripping all the SBS stuff out of SBS 2k3 so it's just a file server?

these people have an existing workgroup and I'd rather add a dumb box than configure all the domain, SQL, and MSEX stuff.

all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
PirateJon on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You should be able to reinstall SBS and choose the roles upon reinstallation.

Trying to do it after the fact is a pain in the ass. You could go through and disable services and remove components in Add/Remove programs, but it's messy. I'd just reinstall.

BTW, SBS sucks. Avoid it whenever possible.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    TOO LATE ARGH! I was mainly wanting to not have to make the new box a domain controller. Doesn't look like I can get around that.
    kb555087 wrote:
    Windows 2003 Small Business Server must be a domain controller and hold all FSMO roles for the domain.
    Dumb.

I love how they can pay me $150/hr to set this up, but can't find the cash to buy a single windows server license so I don't have to.

PirateJon on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PirateJon wrote: »
    kb555087 wrote:
    Windows 2003 Small Business Server must be a domain controller and hold all FSMO roles for the domain.

Oh, right, I forgot about that.

Do they have an existing domain controller?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited September 2008
    nope. they have 4 workstations in a workgroup to share a printer. They wanted to add a central backup location for files. So they hired a guy that got them to buy a proliant server and SBS w/ cals and all.

yeah, you really need a maxed out dual core box to share a few XLS files. And the 400GB tape drive when all your data files will fit on a CD is awesome.

PirateJon on
    edited September 2008
    Four workstations?

Fuck, you can use XP for that.

Anyway, you can set it up as a domain controller and then just... ignore it. Join the workstations to the domain, or don't, at your discretion.

Feral on

edited September 2008
    yeah exactly. anyway, that's part of the plan - ignore MSEX/SQL/DNS/DHCP.

But can I do directory level security on a DC without having the clients be part of that domain? I assume no, but haven't dug into it. I was thinking that they'd at least get a user/pass on the SBS box and add the shared directory as a network place.

PirateJon on
    edited September 2008
    yeah exactly. anyway, that's part of the plan - ignore MSEX/SQL/DNS/DHCP.

But can I do directory level security on a DC without having the clients be part of that domain? I assume no, but haven't dug into it. I was thinking that they'd at least get a user/pass on the SBS box and add the shared directory as a network place.

It's been a reeaaaaaaaally long time since I've done it that way, I frankly don't remember.

Feral on

edited September 2008
    Same boat here. I do routers and switches now, VOIP, but this was going to be a quick payday... D'OH!

PirateJon on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    nope. they have 4 workstations in a workgroup to share a printer. They wanted to add a central backup location for files. So they hired a guy that got them to buy a proliant server and SBS w/ cals and all.

yeah, you really need a maxed out dual core box to share a few XLS files. And the 400GB tape drive when all your data files will fit on a CD is awesome.
    Wow, so... I guess they've got lots of room to grow? :|

I actually got my father to buy a Dell server with SBS. It's not too shabby, accomplishes what I wanted it to do (single sign-on for the office, centralized file storage, centralized email, backup & recovery, printer & plotter sharing). It took time to configure, but once I got everything settled it's been mostly hassle-free. He actually has enough data for a 400/800GB LTO3 drive to make some kind of sense though.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You could put Linux on it. :D

Might as well join them to the domain, though. I don't think it's that big of a deal to migrate profiles.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream