As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2005 Update

• sage_ich_nichtsage_ich_nicht Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    New wrist band for each day, i would think would work best... but what do i know, i've never been before. it just seems like one wouldnt last all 3 days, especially with some of the wear and tear that mine would undoubtedly get.
    I am still wearing a wristband... since about 6 months... so... it DOES last. And this is one made out of fabric. Only wristbands that get destroyed after 3 days and less are the ones made out of paper. >_>

sage_ich_nicht on
    "Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist.
    Children already know that monsters exist.
    Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed."

G. K. Chesterton
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Random suggestion...

Although not generally "geek" music, a couple bands that ive seen popular with some gamers that I personally would love to see at Pax05, and would add alot more variety to the lineup... Ween and Flogging Molly... Would also guarantee that my friends would want to go since all my friends like those two bands...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • AnexkahnAnexkahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    More signs, less lines:
    We're tripling the # of seats for the concert/panels. Outstanding. Thank you.

I really don't think that even trippling the number of seats in the main area is going to be sufficient. Almost _everyone_ who attends is going to want to see the evening event/concert and even trippling the people who got let into the panels last year would still leave a ton out who wanted in.

And thats considering last years numbers, hell, i'd expect to see tons more than that this year. I would please urdge you to consider a venue where you can seat (at least let in) the entire expected participants in the concert area, not just 3x bigger -- because thats still not enough room.

Last year was great, but only getting let into one thing that my group planned on going to was a huge bummer -- I really dont want to see that again this year. The programming is what alot of us came for, the games and tournements came second for my group, because theres already other events to do that at.

One other question with regard to pre-registration: Are there going to be any other "perks" to preregestering this year? like perhaps a different color wristband which gets you in a different line so as a pre-registered person you get a better chance at getting into what you want to see?

Anexkahn on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2004
    I hope I can make it again next year.

This looks positively rockin'.

Also, I still have the other video of D playing DDR, the one he did before he fell.

I have to say, I'm impressed. My feet can't move that fast.

Moriveth on
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2004
    Anexkahn wrote:
    More signs, less lines:
    We're tripling the # of seats for the concert/panels. Outstanding. Thank you.

I really don't think that even trippling the number of seats in the main area is going to be sufficient. Almost _everyone_ who attends is going to want to see the evening event/concert and even trippling the people who got let into the panels last year would still leave a ton out who wanted in.

And thats considering last years numbers, hell, i'd expect to see tons more than that this year. I would please urdge you to consider a venue where you can seat (at least let in) the entire expected participants in the concert area, not just 3x bigger -- because thats still not enough room.

Last year was great, but only getting let into one thing that my group planned on going to was a huge bummer -- I really dont want to see that again this year. The programming is what alot of us came for, the games and tournements came second for my group, because theres already other events to do that at.

One other question with regard to pre-registration: Are there going to be any other "perks" to preregestering this year? like perhaps a different color wristband which gets you in a different line so as a pre-registered person you get a better chance at getting into what you want to see?

Humble Advice-Spoken as absolute truth-as is my habit.
    Any and all lines must be INTELEGENTLY and STRATEGICALLY ENFORCED. Or else they are pointless and merely filters for the unmotivated. Any and all rules or systems by which you break up the lines, VIP or whatever MUST BE ENFORCED and EXPLAINED THOROUGHLY, in order to prevent descent amongst the rabble.

Money can't by you love and it shouldn't buy you preference. But Prepaids do have a different line of site on things and should be made oware of situations via email so that we can have a bettter chance of getting TO events earlier there for getting INTO evens more often.

Got me?

graizur on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    w00t I may actually get to go this year.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • dino_ashleydino_ashley Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    there is nothing that can stop me from going!! i cannot wait! i've even started looking up hotel rooms, seeing as im not 100% sure the venue location im not going to book it yet, but i cannot wait! and you know what... wristbands are so cool. lol!

dino_ashley on
    "Wakka Wakka" --My Hero!

Sure we wang...can... can wang...
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited December 2004
    Prereg's get a cool packet, a pretty significant discount, and the ability to enter one hour earlier than everyone else. :)

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    Prereg's get a cool packet, a pretty significant discount, and the ability to enter one hour earlier than everyone else. :)

-robert

Awesome.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2004
    I see no one feels the need to comment on my random suggestion... guess it was a little too random for everyones tastes...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    eelektrik wrote:
    I see no one feels the need to comment on my random suggestion... guess it was a little too random for everyones tastes...

Just wouldn't work. I don't think at least.

Legacy on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2004
    Moriveth wrote:
    I hope I can make it again next year.

This looks positively rockin'.

Also, I still have the other video of D playing DDR, the one he did before he fell.

I have to say, I'm impressed. My feet can't move that fast.
    I've been trying to get back in form lately, and as such I'm faster and more accurate on my steps. Not quite back up to MAX300 and the like, but definitely not breaking my ankle. :)

Red Machine D on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Hey D, speaking of Bemani, did MGL really upgrade their IIDX machine to RED?

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
    edited December 2004
    Yes they did, and it is glorious. Has just about every song that's ever been in IIDX. they even got a new screen and hooked the video-out to the machine next to it. It's AMAZING.

Red Machine D on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Yes they did, and it is glorious. Has just about every song that's ever been in IIDX. they even got a new screen and hooked the video-out to the machine next to it. It's AMAZING.
    Oh shit. I think a trip to Mesa is in order for the near future. :o

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
    edited December 2004
    Oh shit. I think a trip to Mesa is in order for the near future. :o
    Indeed.

Red Machine D on
  • Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Edited.

Kato_Arabel on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    I may actually make it this time around, assuming (1) I can get the day(s) off of work and (2) I actually graduate this year.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is PC gaming going to be with your own computers, ones already provided, or a combination thereof?

If the former, I'll probably be sticking to the console section; my current PC is a prefab POS that I bought just as a quick replacement to the one I'd been using, which died due to complications of a broken northbridge fan.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2005
    I may actually make it this time around, assuming (1) I can get the day(s) off of work and (2) I actually graduate this year.

This may sound like a stupid question, but is PC gaming going to be with your own computers, ones already provided, or a combination thereof?

If the former, I'll probably be sticking to the console section; my current PC is a prefab POS that I bought just as a quick replacement to the one I'd been using, which died due to complications of a broken northbridge fan.

I'm assuming that it'll be the same as last year, but bigger. So...a room of ones provided connected to a room of BYOC.

Legacy on
  • GT RacerGT Racer Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    I'm assuming that it'll be the same as last year, but bigger. So...a room of ones provided connected to a room of BYOC.

oh, goodie!
    Can we have the CS tournament signups in that room as well, and keep the kid with the really big set of speakers so he can try to drown out the announcements again? cause that was MY favorite part of pax
    (hey kid, nobody cares about your cool speakers or huge flat panel...turn your crap down)

GT Racer on
  • AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Agreed; obnoxious show-offs should be given the boot on sight.

Affliction on
    edited January 2005
    Affliction wrote:
    Agreed; obnoxious show-offs should be given the boot on sight.
    I second this motion.

Red Machine D on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2005
    After I buy a digital camera this weekend, I've promised myself no more major expendetures so I can begin putting back money for August. It'd be nice to actually be able to afford stuff. Also, after hours parties in my hotel room, BYOB. And Khoo: You NEED a panel of gaming webcomic authors/artists (*wink*cough*like me*) for a Q&A or whatever.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited January 2005
    We've certainly considered it- the biggest issue is that we've tried to brand this as more of a videogame festival more than anything else. But that's not to say the crossover isn't there. We just want to make sure we don't lose focus these first few years. :)

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Webcomic artists play video games. So the panel should be something like: GAMING MEETS WEBCOMIC FREAKS! or something. Just a suggestion.

Kato_Arabel on
    edited January 2005
    Here's a couple ideas:

PANELS:
    -"What Were They Thinking?": Discussion of bad games and the who/what/why about them.
    -"A Retrospective On (genre)": Genre-based discussion about games, i.e. FPSes, RPGs, fighting, etc. and the shining examples of each.
    -"The Fan and the Industry": How fans influence the gaming industry and its direction.

CONTESTS:
    -Kamikaze Gaming: Random opponents, random action/puzzle games. Highest score wins.
    -Trivia: Enough said. However, let's do this in a Japanese game show fashion, with crazy shit going on!
    -Gaming Endurance Contest: See who can game nonstop the longest without sleep, food, or bathroom breaks.

GAMES FOR TOURNEYS:
    -Katamari Damacy
    -Tetris
    -PACMAN VS.

Red Machine D on
    edited January 2005
    GT Racer wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

oh, goodie!
    Can we have the CS tournament signups in that room as well, and keep the kid with the really big set of speakers so he can try to drown out the announcements again? cause that was MY favorite part of pax
    (hey kid, nobody cares about your cool speakers or huge flat panel...turn your crap down)

Hey, Stormy's shit is pretty cool...

Legacy on
  • LincolnLincoln Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    GT Racer wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

oh, goodie!

Right, that guy.

Suggestions for Tourneys:

Doom 3 for XBox (Who knows, maybe a "What team get get through these levels the fastest" in co-op.)

Halo 2 for XBox (Obvious, but maybe the same co-op team race as above.)

HL2DM (By the time of the con, Adrenaline Gamer 2 should be out, so maybe we could use that.)

A HL2 "Garry's Mod" art contest. You have one hour to create the cooolest picture using all of the things that you are given.

Lincoln on
  • AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    PANELS:
    -"What Were They Thinking?": Discussion of bad games and the who/what/why about them.
    -"A Retrospective On (genre)": Genre-based discussion about games, i.e. FPSes, RPGs, fighting, etc. and the shining examples of each.
    -"The Fan and the Industry": How fans influence the gaming industry and its direction.

CONTESTS:
    -Kamikaze Gaming: Random opponents, random action/puzzle games. Highest score wins.
    -Trivia: Enough said. However, let's do this in a Japanese game show fashion, with crazy shit going on!
    -Gaming Endurance Contest: See who can game nonstop the longest without sleep, food, or bathroom break

All gold except that last one, which would be a huge liability issue. Don't you remember that Korean kid who died while playing CS?

Affliction on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Some kid died playing CS? Mamamia. Wel, aside from that, who would volunteer to miss PAX in order to participate in that tournament?

QuizMaster on
    edited January 2005
    Affliction wrote:
    PANELS:

CONTESTS:
    -Gaming Endurance Contest: See who can game nonstop the longest without sleep, food, or bathroom break

All gold except that last one, which would be a huge liability issue. Don't you remember that Korean kid who died while playing CS?

Yes, but that's a bit different than a well watched contest.

I'd sign up if it weren't for the bathroom break stipulation. Or the food. Should be all about sleep. Maybe a rule about 'no Bawls or energy drinks/foods allowed' or something...

Legacy on
  • impsethimpseth Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    I didn't get to go to PAX04 and the word 'concert' has been used a lot. Was there like, dancing and stuff going last year or is that planned for this year? It scares me....

impseth on
    Sigs are fun.
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Affliction wrote:
    PANELS:

CONTESTS:

I'd sign up if it weren't for the bathroom break stipulation. Or the food. Should be all about sleep. Maybe a rule about 'no Bawls or energy drinks/foods allowed' or something...
    If there would be no caffein/energy drinks rule i'd win. I can stay awake 72 hours. And then i only need 6 hours sleep. Without caffein. Hmmm... Maybe i should study and become a doctor... No wait, thats a stupid idea. I'd just go insane and try to take over the world.

sage_ich_nicht on

G. K. Chesterton
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Affliction wrote:
    PANELS:

CONTESTS:

If there would be no caffein/energy drinks rule i'd win. I can stay awake 72 hours. And then i only need 6 hours sleep. Without caffein. Hmmm... Maybe i should study and become a doctor... No wait, thats a stupid idea. I'd just go insane and try to take over the world.
    And thus, how Pinky and the Brain came to be. :D

Red Machine D on
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Affliction wrote:
    PANELS:

CONTESTS:

which would make you Pinky, and me Brain. Come, Pinky, we must prepare for tomorrow night.

sage_ich_nicht on

G. K. Chesterton
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Legacy wrote:
    Affliction wrote:
    PANELS:

CONTESTS:

which would make you Pinky, and me Brain. Come, Pinky, we must prepare for tomorrow night.
    What are we gonna do tomorrow night?

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • GT RacerGT Racer Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Lincoln wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    GT Racer wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

oh, goodie!

Right, that guy.
    "Hey, did they just call our team?
    Hell, i dont know, but i DO know that the kid over there cant drive the warthog for shit
    Affliction wrote:
    I heard they found him on the floor mumbling something about "kekekeke".
    Poor little tyke...

GT Racer on
    edited January 2005
    GT Racer wrote:
    Affliction wrote:
    I heard they found him on the floor mumbling something about "kekekeke".
    Poor little tyke...
    Sounds more like a Broodwar player that uses Zerg.

[insertzergrush-kekekeke^_^SApicturehere]

sage_ich_nicht on

G. K. Chesterton
  • impsethimpseth Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    In terms of panels, how about "How webcomics have influenced gamers"
    Along the lines of games that some people might never have heard of if it wasn't for a webcomic or a strip that brought back fond memories for a certain genre and now that gamer can't get enough of it. Or even....blah. Couldn't think of anything else to say but you get the general idea, right?
    RIGHt?

impseth on
    Sigs are fun.
  • XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    so where is this taking place (general area, not exact venue as they probably don't have it yet)?

Supposedly I now live relatively near where the last one took place now + I have a car for travel + some people I work with had gone to the last one

Xieflow on