As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How cold is Seattle?

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited January 2005 in PAX Archive
How cold is Seattle in August?

I know here in Florida last week it was still getting into the 80's, but what sort of system shock should I be expecting there when I go? And will a paper thin Old Navy jacket provide me any joy?

Jasconius on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    When we were there, it was about the 70's. It really depends. It's not cold like it is now though.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Barenaked_EnidBarenaked_Enid Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    August in the Northwest can be like springtime in the south I guess. Get's cooler at night, but during the day you can walk around in a t-shirt and be fine. Our winters are harsh though, that is why I'm happy to be leaving for Florida in a couple hours!! Yay!!

Barenaked_Enid on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2004
    August in the Northwest can be like springtime in the south I guess. Get's cooler at night, but during the day you can walk around in a t-shirt and be fine. Our winters are harsh though, that is why I'm happy to be leaving for Florida in a couple hours!! Yay!!

That's why here is cool. It's not as harsh as there.

In other words, you should come down and visit me. :P I'm gonna be all alone for the holidays. :(

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2004
    I'd say ... 45-70 degrees, in american tempratures. Big range, but at least it isn't wyoming. Wyoming is inhospitable.

JohnnyCache on
  • CrimsonCrimson Registered User new member
    edited December 2004
    In the summer it is really nice and warm usually, but can have cool breezes.

Winter is rainy most of the time and chilly, but not cold.

Crimson on
    http://crimson.rock-out.net/survey/

Survey for MMORPG players, takes very little time. I'd appreciate it if anyone would take it so I can get an M.A. degree and eat someday.

Or I'll start clubbing baby seals. Really.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    I have lived in or near Seattle for a little over 24 years. Overall, it is warm but damp most of the year. Thanks to the latitude, nearness to the ocean and the buffering effect of being between two mountain ranges the weather is universally hospitable to human life but occasionally unpleasant. That is, the weather is never extreme enough to make for any danger to a sober human. Also note that while it is very often overcast, we don't really get an exceptional amount of rain. It's just that what we do get drizzels down over the course of weeks rather than dumping all at once.

Summer (running from late June until early September) can get disgustingly hot (80-90) at times. It usually runs in the mid 70s which is still nasty but more bearable. We often can go nearly a month without signifigant rain in late July and Augest.

Fall (early September to the very end of November or sometimes December) tends to be very pleasant. Overcast, drizzling with occasional heavy rain and 40-55 degrees or so. It can get very windy down near the water or Lake Washington. It is not uncommon to go a month or more without seeing the sun (when I was in 4th grade we had 92 heavily overcast days in a row, but that was in the Spring).

Winter (from the end of Fall to late January or early Feb) is generally no different from Fall except all the leaves are gone. Once every couple years it will snow for a day or two. Temperatures run a brisk but pleasant 30-45 most days. Most mornings there is very heavy dank fog near any body of water (eg: nearly everywhere).

Spring (mid Feb to early June) is much like fall but with less wind. Expect long periods of overcast and drizzel.

Important note: If you intend to drive in Seattle, any change in the weather (however slight!) results in mass hysteria and suicidal impulses in the majority of Seattle drivers. A single nowflake impacting the windshield of an SUV is likely to cause a multi-vehicle pileup.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • CrimsonCrimson Registered User new member
    edited December 2004
    Important note: If you intend to drive in Seattle, any change in the weather (however slight!) results in mass hysteria and suicidal impulses in the majority of Seattle drivers. A single nowflake impacting the windshield of an SUV is likely to cause a multi-vehicle pileup.

Ugh, so true. I remember about 3-4 years back when it really snowed and I was one of three people to come into work. Glad I'm out of there.

Crimson on
    http://crimson.rock-out.net/survey/

Survey for MMORPG players, takes very little time. I'd appreciate it if anyone would take it so I can get an M.A. degree and eat someday.

Or I'll start clubbing baby seals. Really.
  • dino_ashleydino_ashley Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    pretty fucking cold

dino_ashley on
    "Wakka Wakka" --My Hero!

Sure we wang...can... can wang...
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    :lol: Well yeah, if you're coming from California.

QuizMaster on
  • Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2004
    Bring a sweater just in case. I myself was just fine with a thin long-sleeve shirt and a cape.

Red Machine D on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Bah, its been several years since Seattle got cold enough to require clothing at all for the purpose of keeping warm. 40 Degrees, dank fog and drizzling is shorts-and-a-t-shirt weather.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited December 2004
    Last PAX, I went outside with just a T-shirt and jeans at 3 in the morning and I was fine. Its usually around 60-70 or so I'd say.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
    edited December 2004
    JoahW wrote:
    Last PAX, I went outside with just a T-shirt and jeans at 3 in the morning and I was fine. Its usually around 60-70 or so I'd say.
    Yes, the weather at night was ecstasy.

Red Machine D on
  • DJDMDJDM Registered User regular
    edited December 2004

Especially if you wear a cape.

DJDM on
    GameDemoAnimation101806.gif
    edited December 2004
    DJDM wrote:
    Especially if you wear a cape.
    I'm gonna have the preliminary sketches for my new PAX05 cape done soon. It's gonna ROCK.

Red Machine D on
  • Shai HuludShai Hulud Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    God you're so fucking pathetic.

Shai Hulud on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited January 2005
    Quiet, oh maker. We don't want him to be quiet and stop the flow of funny.

JohnnyCache on
  • AfflictionAffliction Registered User regular
    edited January 2005

Christ, it's like that here in Vancouver too. The other day we got, like, an inch of snow, and the whole fucking city turned into a goddamn slow-motion anarchistic nightmare. I went to Richmond to get my WoW game card and watched as hapless drivers s-l-o-w-l-y slid into the middle of intersections, into parked cars, and over small children making snow angels, their brakes completely useless. It was absolutely fucking hilarious. Seriously, people, you live in fucking Canada. Get fucking all-season tires.

Best part is, it's been snowing on and off ever since. So much fresh, uninterrupted snow. Usually we get like a foot or two total per year, but it's always like one day it snows and then it all melts and then it snows again later. I love snow.

Affliction on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited January 2005
    I actually didn't expect Vancouver (well, Surrey) to get any snow this year. But, here we have it.

Yeah, people are crazy. They can't be bothered to watch all obstructions on the road, just the ones that have changed because of snow. Somebody on this street was backing out of their driveway and crashed into a car that was driving along. The driver didn't see the car coming, even though it was going slowly as you mentioned) because the backing out driver was watching out for kids in the snow.

QuizMaster on