As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    I don't mind the hoods. I also like the one with the snotling tied to the top of it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Enjoying my shaman, only at 12 now.

I started using HealGrid and consistently beat out 17-19 healers on our team and theirs in scenarios. It does make me feel like more of a bar watcher but at the same time, my team is alive and kicking ass. So it's cool.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I have fun by winning. :) If you're not into healing you probably shouldn't be a healing class, play what's fun for you but people need to do the role they're playing at the time. (Not addressed to you in particular, just reminding me of being annoyed at people that think healing can't be fun.)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love being able to out heal any damage done to me by a single attacker. It goes something like this: detaunt, heal, /wave, heal, /laugh, heal, /clap, repeat. What I'd give to see the attacker's reaction...

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Healing in scenarios is also much more than being a bar watcher, as you have to prioritize targets, throw out DPS when needed, switch what types of heals you're throwing out, etc.

I love it though. I mean, seeing 1.3k crit heals pop up, people coming back from the brink of death, aw yeah <3

Siphon Life is also really fun to use.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just got Siphon Life on my Run Priest and haven't had time to run a scenario with it but I can't see it being as beneficial as the instant cast big heal that it would need to replace. I can't count how many people I've saved from the brink with that being available. But then again, being only 16 it's hard to say. I'll definitely play around with it especially if it's fun. ha

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I love being able to out heal any damage done to me by a single attacker. It goes something like this: detaunt, heal, /wave, heal, /laugh, heal, /clap, repeat. What I'd give to see the attacker's reaction...

My reaction?

/laugh

/remove your face

/laugh again

God, I love being a Witch Elf.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    There's always the smart melee dps that will debuff your healing or just silence your ass before unleashing hell. It's really odd realizing that backpeddling is probably the best way to deal with a Witch Hunter if nobody is going to snare him or her.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Caedere wrote: »

My reaction?

/laugh

/remove your face

/laugh again

yeah witch elves are brutal. ran into a duo that always focus fired the same target. They pretty much killed anybody within a few seconds. As an archamge I died before the global cooldown was done on my HoT.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The game just got a lot more interesting, now that I finally rerolled Order with my Warpriest, and I can get into queues almost non-stop. The amount of healing I put out at rank 6-8 has been impressive, and I feel that the damage isn't terrible. I also love hanging out near the Barracks in Nordenwatch, running around healing myself and keeping two or three enemy Destruction players busy for a good 5 minutes, preventing them from helping the cause elsewhere.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    I also love hanging out near the Barracks in Nordenwatch, running around healing myself and keeping two or three enemy Destruction players busy for a good 5 minutes, preventing them from helping the cause elsewhere.

That's what I did as a r11 blorc at Lighthouse, with 25% chance to heal 300 on hit. :P

Two blorcs can handle five people without problems.

Echo on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really love the healers that do damage, but I gotta say it is very, very rewarding to play a Rune Priest because of well you can heal and survive focus fire. Especially once you get detaunt.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rune Priests, Get Rune of Fortune.

Imagine your Rune of Striking did more damage, and healed you for the damage it did with no penalty or cooldown.

Yea.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Saban wrote: »
    Rune Priests, Get Rune of Fortune.

Imagine your Rune of Striking did more damage, and healed you for the damage it did with no penalty or cooldown.

Yea.
    Speaking of this makes me realize I really have no idea which Mastery Path to go down as my Rune Priest. Rune of Fortune does sound mightly awesome, but I like the idea of the Path of Grimnir, just not sure how it works out in actuality. What have the fine Rune Priests of these parts been doing? There hasn't been much talk about Rune Priests in this thread and it makes me sad.
    This is the first MMO I have ever had a main that I really have no desire to start on alt on yet.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grimnir doesnt seem worth it until 40, and then im respecing into it for RvR.

The first tree affects pretty much all the skills you use soloing, so its worth it imo.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I also love hanging out near the Barracks in Nordenwatch, running around healing myself and keeping two or three enemy Destruction players busy for a good 5 minutes, preventing them from helping the cause elsewhere.

That's what I did as a r11 blorc at Lighthouse, with 25% chance to heal 300 on hit. :P

Ugh, don't remind me. According to the CSR I contacted, being able to 25% heal on hit every 2 seconds, instead of every 10 seconds with the Da Toughest not-exploit is "the correct implementation." We can still win scenarios(by simply ignoring the blorcs until EVERYONE else is dead,) but it's still annoying that blorcs using this are so significantly better than ironbreakers or swordmasters.

Still, as long as we can keep them away from my rune priest, our organized groups still usually win, so I can't honestly say it's game-breaking.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You know what's fun? Being the only healer in a scenario that's actually healing. Ugh.

I'm thankful for those matches. Those are the ones where I get 1.5-2.5x the renown of the next highest player. Normally I'm limited to 1.25-1.5x the next highest. :rotate:

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Caedere wrote: »

My reaction?

/laugh

/remove your face

/laugh again

Keep in mind that I'm still in tier 1, so I don't have to worry about the face removal. I'm sure that'll change soon.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i think witch elves get kiss of death at level 6 or 8. which is face ripping.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I haven't had any problems since getting some decent equipment. I don't know, maybe I've just been lucky.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    So I like my shaman, but I just started a DoK and that's also fun.

DoK advantage: poke things with swords!
    DoK disadvantage: not a goblin.

Decisions, decisions.

Echo on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »

Ugh, don't remind me. According to the CSR I contacted, being able to 25% heal on hit every 2 seconds, instead of every 10 seconds with the Da Toughest not-exploit is "the correct implementation." We can still win scenarios(by simply ignoring the blorcs until EVERYONE else is dead,) but it's still annoying that blorcs using this are so significantly better than ironbreakers or swordmasters.

Still, as long as we can keep them away from my rune priest, our organized groups still usually win, so I can't honestly say it's game-breaking.

What are you talking about? It hasn't been exploitable for a while.

Zek on
  • Options
    CelifulCeliful Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, Zek didn't know you played WAR, what server? Also, Shaman is amazing and I can run around with 3 people hitting me and not die.

Celiful on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Yeah, I have fun by winning. :) If you're not into healing you probably shouldn't be a healing class, play what's fun for you but people need to do the role they're playing at the time. (Not addressed to you in particular, just reminding me of being annoyed at people that think healing can't be fun.)

There aren't really any "healing classes" in this game, they are all hybrids.

Not directing this at you, but I hate when people yell at a "healer" for doing anything other than only healing, they have other abilities, and it's their character. If they want to play it as a DoT caster who can heal themselves, who are you to tell them otherwise? Would be like me yelling at any tank who dared to use anything but a 1h+shield.

If you need a healer that bad get a second account or a friend to play one. :P

Morkath on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Morkath wrote: »

Not directing this at you, but I hate when people yell at a "healer" for doing anything other than only healing, they have other abilities, and it's their character. If they want to play it as a DoT caster who can heal themselves, who are you to tell them otherwise? Would be like me yelling at any tank who dared to use anything but a 1h+shield.

Well we don't have any "tanking classes" then either. The game does happen to colour people's names based on this tank, healer, etc. role though so I'll go by that. ;-)

That said, I agree with having to DPS and play the game as intended. As a shaman I need to DoT and Waaagh down some people if I want to win in scenarios. Ignoring aspects of your class is dumb, which is what I was referring to when people say they don't like to heal and play that aspect.

Doing it all, and doing it all effectively, is the way to go, and "bar watching" is part of that. People seem to think it's cool to be disparaging about that, and they are dumb.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I'm almost to 24 on my shaman, but I'm starting to have zealot envy. I feel like I'll try one out soon..but I dunno. How are zealots in terms of survivability? Anywhere close to RPs?

Ecko on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ecko wrote: »
    So I'm almost to 24 on my shaman, but I'm starting to have zealot envy. I feel like I'll try one out soon..but I dunno. How are zealots in terms of survivability? Anywhere close to RPs?

By rank 11, yes.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Morkath wrote: »

the group leader

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the group leader

If you're a Zealot and you can't keep your entire party up while your dots tick down and your instants are on cooldown you're doing it wrong.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Elldren wrote: »
    the group leader

If you're a Zealot and you can't keep your entire party up while your dots tick down and your instants are on cooldown you're doing it wrong.

this response seems to have nothing with what i said, or what the person i quoted said.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, I'm really considering rolling a healer for the candymancers. We just need some more, and I seem to enjoy most every class I play, so I see no reason to be DPS exclusive.

So... Archmage or Rune Priest... It is true that runepriest's being able to devote solely to healing would be the easier choice for me wanting to play "the healer", but after playing an Archmage for a bit, it seems that they can do some damage even when doing very good at healing. And another thing order really needs are more Magic DPS to put a dent in the waves of tanks destruction seems to through at us, yes?

Decisions decisions... that is if I even pry myself away from my shadow warrior. But I am getting pretty damn sick of not getting heals, and I'd bet that playing a healer certainly increases your chance at scenario victories.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the group leader

this response seems to have nothing with what i said, or what the person i quoted said.

It's a non sequitur.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you watch your entire WB's health at once, how do you know who's within range and visible and who isn't?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    If you watch your entire WB's health at once, how do you know who's within range and visible and who isn't?

Situational awareness.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So at level five on my rune priest, my current mob-killing rotation goes something like this:
    1) DoT half a dozen mobs
    2) Heal myself
    3) Reapply DoT's
    4) Go to 2), until
    4) Everything is dead.

Does this stop being viable eventually? Because the rate at which I can kill stuff right now, as a class that I imagined would be on the low end of DPS output, is pretty ridiculous.

exis on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    exis wrote: »
    So at level five on my rune priest, my current mob-killing rotation goes something like this:
    1) DoT half a dozen mobs
    2) Heal myself
    3) Reapply DoT's
    4) Go to 2), until
    4) Everything is dead.

Does this stop being viable eventually? Because the rate at which I can kill stuff right now, as a class that I imagined would be on the low end of DPS output, is pretty ridiculous.

At level 12 I can still do this with a zealot, and RPs are generally thought to be more survivable.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the group leader

Depending on the circumstances, sometimes you simply can't manage healing everyone while throwing away AP on DoTs. Anything beyond a single party that is taking consistent damage it's really dumb to be throwing out instants and DoTs as a Zealot IMO.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    the group leader

Depending on the circumstances, sometimes you simply can't manage healing everyone while throwing away AP on DoTs. Anything beyond a single party that is taking consistent damage it's really dumb to be throwing out instants and DoTs as a Zealot IMO.

Well, yes. I didn't say WB. :P

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I can't decide at all on which mastery to go for on my WP. Most classes have some really attractive utility trees, but in this case, there seem to be two utility trees and one healing tree, and they all seem roughly equally nice.

I'm slightly leaning toward Wrath though. Does endless guilt automatically apply the snare to everyone in range, or does it only apply to players in range, that also happen to be cursed?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a question for those playing Warrior Preists. Is this like Pally in WoW or is it somewhat different. This class looks pretty cool but if it feels like a Paladin I'm gonna be so depressed.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics