As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WoW: WotLK Release Date Set at 11/13/08 [Chat and General Discussion]

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    reVerse wrote: »
    Fun fact I just noticed about the Wrathgate cutscene.
    There doesn't seem to be any Draenei in there anywhere. Every other race is accounted for (okay, I didn't see any Blood Elves in there either, but there are a few High Elves so that kinda sorta counts), but Draenei are mysteriously missing. I guess they just don't like the cold or something?
    Most likely because
    they aren't really as invested in Bolvar/Saurfang. The Draenei just got here, and the Blood Elves, until recently, were more concerned with what Kael'Thas wanted.

The Trolls, Orcs, Tauren, and Forsaken all have a lot to do/care about when Saurfang jr talks, and the Humans, Gnomes, NElves, and Dwarves all have a lot to do with Bolvar.
    It's true that the Draenei don't really have much of a reason to be in Northrend, which has been a pretty big complaint among some roleplayers. But Blood Elves not invested in taking down Arthas? The guy scorched their homeland, destroyed the original Sunwell and killed so many of their kind that they almost went extinct. Arthas is the very reason they call themselves Blood Elves in the first place. They have every reason to be right there in the frontlines, and yet they're nowhere to be seen.

reVerse on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any Draenei in there anywhere. Every other race is accounted for (okay, I didn't see any Blood Elves in there either, but there are a few High Elves so that kinda sorta counts), but Draenei are mysteriously missing. I guess they just don't like the cold or something?

Not really about your observation, but about Wrathgate in general:
    How important is Bolvar to the lore? I haven't really looked him up on WoWWiki.
    He ruled Stormwind during King Douchebag's absence (and did a hell of a job at it, too, taking advice from that Prestor woman and allowing the Defias and the orcs to overrun a lot of the human lands) and he's King Douchebag's childhood friend or something, giving Douchey a reason to declare war on the Horde when he snuffs it at the Wrathgate.

As far as I can remember, he hasn't been in any of the previous WarCraft games, but it's been a while since I played them.

In all fairness, Ony and Nef have both been pretending to be Prestors for quite a long time. Some of the lore hints at generations. There are also hints that some very subtle magic was being used on Bolvar.

Thomamelas on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Does anyone know of any good free programs that would allow me to simulate control/alt/shift by pressing or holding down a mouse button? Like joy2key, but a mouse2key(a program of a similar name exists, but it does the opposite of what I want).

It would greatly aid me in perfecting my binds...

EDIT:
    Okay, found one. AutoHotKey works perfectly for such a thing. Nice.

Monsty on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    There are also hints that some very subtle magic was being used on Bolvar.

Yeah, how else would you explain his ability to punch motherfuckers?

Henroid on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    There are also hints that some very subtle magic was being used on Bolvar.

Yeah, how else would you explain his ability to punch motherfuckers?

That's not so much magic as having early access to the 3.0 talents. :lol:

Thomamelas on
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Most likely because
    they aren't really as invested in Bolvar/Saurfang. The Draenei just got here, and the Blood Elves, until recently, were more concerned with what Kael'Thas wanted.

The Trolls, Orcs, Tauren, and Forsaken all have a lot to do/care about when Saurfang jr talks, and the Humans, Gnomes, NElves, and Dwarves all have a lot to do with Bolvar.
    It's true that the Draenei don't really have much of a reason to be in Northrend, which has been a pretty big complaint among some roleplayers. But Blood Elves not invested in taking down Arthas? The guy scorched their homeland, destroyed the original Sunwell and killed so many of their kind that they almost went extinct. Arthas is the very reason they call themselves Blood Elves in the first place. They have every reason to be right there in the frontlines, and yet they're nowhere to be seen.

Also on the matter of lore,
    1. Jaina did commit what amounts to treason at the end by teleporting Wrynn's forces out of Undercity. At some point, she needs to go ahead and take her place as Thrall's queen. Maybe when Turalyon and Alleria rejoin the Alliance.

2. The draenei story always seemed a bit forced. From the original retcon that linked them in with the eredar to the tendency for the lore to attribute hooves and horns as representative of a race corrupted, it all looks tentatively tied together. I hope a later development reveals them to be redeemed demons and that the eredar actually were one of the original races that corrupted Sargeras.

3. For an endangered species, blood/high elves seem to be just about everywhere. Between Quel'thalas, Shattrath, Netherstorm and Quel'danas, along with like half the Horde players that now roll them, 'almost extinct' is about the last word I'd use.

4. Anyone else see the next expansion giving us the Maelstrom, Kul Tiras and making the main boss Azshara? That's really the only pre-established lore left to explore.

5. Why does Wrynn hate orcs so much even though he lived among them and Jaina supposedly explained to him the situation with Varimathras?

Glyph on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hamurabi wrote: »

Not really about your observation, but about Wrathgate in general:
    How important is Bolvar to the lore? I haven't really looked him up on WoWWiki.
    He ruled Stormwind during King Douchebag's absence (and did a hell of a job at it, too, taking advice from that Prestor woman and allowing the Defias and the orcs to overrun a lot of the human lands) and he's King Douchebag's childhood friend or something, giving Douchey a reason to declare war on the Horde when he snuffs it at the Wrathgate.

As far as I can remember, he hasn't been in any of the previous WarCraft games, but it's been a while since I played them.

In all fairness, Ony and Nef have both been pretending to be Prestors for quite a long time. Some of the lore hints at generations. There are also hints that some very subtle magic was being used on Bolvar.

Deathwing actually started the whole thing, at least in the real world timeline, when he used a Prestor persona to try and get the alliance to give him the remains of Alterac, in the book "Day of the Dragon"

Undead Scottsman on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    On Wrynn's Orc hate:
    He didn't so much "live with them" as he was a slave of them, being forced to fight in their arenas alongside a blood elf and a night elf.

Of course, this is from the comics which is insanely Horde unfriendly and treats them like you'd expect pretty much every fantasy story to treat these races: I.e the bad guys who care less what the wonderfully perfect Elves and Humans want. So it's really kind of a one-sided tale.

The Muffin Man on
    edited September 2008
    Glyph wrote: »
    Most likely because

1. Jaina did commit what amounts to treason at the end by teleporting Wrynn's forces out of Undercity. At some point, she needs to go ahead and take her place as Thrall's queen. Maybe when Turalyon and Alleria rejoin the Alliance.

2. The draenei story always seemed a bit forced. From the original retcon that linked them in with the eredar to the tendency for the lore to attribute hooves and horns as representative of a race corrupted, it all looks tentatively tied together. I hope a later development reveals them to be redeemed demons and that the eredar actually were one of the original races that corrupted Sargeras.

3. For an endangered species, blood/high elves seem to be just about everywhere. Between Quel'thalas, Shattrath, Netherstorm and Quel'danas, along with like half the Horde players that now roll them, 'almost extinct' is about the last word I'd use.

4. Anyone else see the next expansion giving us the Maelstrom, Kul Tiras and making the main boss Azshara? That's really the only pre-established lore left to explore.

5. Why does Wrynn hate orcs so much even though he lived among them and Jaina supposedly explained to him the situation with Varimathras?
    1. Meh, she has a pretty big political standing in the Alliance, being the leader of the largest human settlement in Kalimdor, and sister to the king of Kul'Tiras.

2. Absolutely. Though it's not as big as a lore paradox as people like to make out, as the Eredar only disturbed Sargeras, with their wild use of arcane magic and reckless destruction they dealt as they conqured. It was the Dreadlords that really drove Sargeras mad, with thier habits of corrupting and turning mortals upon one another. That kind of stuff made Sargeras question his mission in life.

3. Well, the Blood Elves really aren't close to extinction IMO.. they just got their numbers greatly diminished, but they still are a good chunk of what the High Elf kingdom was held. It's the High Elves that are rare, most having converted to Bludasim.

4. IMO, that's where it's going to be, what with a ton of various places in that area. However, there's still the Elemental Plane and the Emerald Dream to explore, as well as whatever place Blizzard can come up with for the portals in Outland to go to. I think expansion #3 will be about the Great Sea (Maelstrom, Kul'Tiras, Najatar, Sunken Kalimdor, Undermine, the Tomb of Sargeras, the Broken Isles, Pandaria) and I'd like #4 to deal with the other planes. (Ideally that would be the last expansion before WoW 2. a very cool thing would be for blizzard to make both the Elemental Plane and the Emerald Dream huge, that you could level from 91-100 in just one of them. That way there's a massive amount of stuff to do; effectively two whole experiences to enjoy as Blizzard spends 5000 years on WoW 2.) The main focus of expansion #4 would be the old gods (The nightmare corrupting the dream is supposedly the work of an Old God, and the Elemental Plane is filled with the old gods minions, incuding the other three Elemental Lords.)

5. He didn't "live among them" so much as he was held prisoner and forced to fight in arena's. I'd imagine that's kind of a sore spot for him and didn't give him the best impression. Plus his father (King Llane) was slain as part of the Orcish campaign in the First War, by a halforc who betrayed Llane's trust.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited September 2008
    Most likely because

1. Well, Jaina has always been a proponent of peace, so it's not like it's out of character for her or anything. Also, she's pretty much the only high ranking Alliance character who isn't being portrayed as a raging asshole, a shameless racist or both at once.

2. Agreed. The backstory of the Draenei is just weak.

3. Yeah, they're bloody everywhere, but the game still refers to them as being almost extinct, so from a lore point of view, they are.

4. Quite frankly, I think we'll tackle the Emerald Dream and whatever the Nightmare that is corrupting it is.

5. King Douche was a slave of the orcs, and before that he, like all of the Alliance, was openly hateful of them due to all that war business they brought with them. And Jaina does explain about Varimathras, but what is King Douche going to believe, that the Horde, who he hates with the passion of a thousand suns, are innocent in all this, or that the two-legged baby making factory is just making stuff up? Obviously Jaina is making stuff up because she's a woman and all women are lying witches, so it's off to war with the Horde!

Which, quite frankly, is an idiotic decision espesially concidering the time it was made. You want to go to war with the Horde? Fine, but atleast wait until the fuckin' Scourge has been taken care of. By going to war with the Horde while simultaneously fighting the Scourge you're spreading yourself too thin and one of the fronts is going to suffer as a result. Seriously, as far as his military decisions go, King Douche is the Azeroth version of George W Bush.

reVerse on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think things are not going to end well for king d.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Emerald Dream is pretty well established, and would make for a pretty interesting expansion. It's had a build-up reaching from quests in Teldrassil and Wailing Caverns, to Sunken Temple, the opening of the gates at AQ, and the world dragons. They've already identified the Emerald Nightmare as the over-arching conflict and one of the surviving old gods as the villain.

I think that and and the Great Sea are the two most significant possibilities. They mentioned a while ago that the various portals to other worlds throughout Outland allow them an infinite range of of potential options to explore but I really doubt they would go that route, short of maybe somewhere significant like Argus. I'm not really sure how an Elemental Planes expansion would work.

Mitten on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think things are not going to end well for king d.

press 4 for regicide

I plan on trying to kill him or at least the blood elf and druid side kicks for a laugh
    I did kill Danath Trollbane I plan on taking a better pick when I do it again

Brainleech on
    edited September 2008
    Thing is, he's supposed to be the Alliance's savior. Doesn't make sense to make him such a dick.
    "According to Blizzard, Varian Wrynn will become a major player in the Warcraft Universe; a super-dynamic human character which will replace the human heroes that are either old, dead, or super-villains. He has even been described as the "anti-Thrall"."

Glyph on
    edited September 2008
    Thing is, he's supposed to be the Alliance's savior.
    "According to Blizzard, Varian Wrynn will become a major player in the Warcraft Universe; a super-dynamic human character which will replace the human heroes that are either old, dead, or super-villains. He has even been described as the "anti-Thrall"."
    Heh, the anti-Thrall. That's a pretty interesting direction to take a character seeing how everyone fuckin' loves Thrall.

All hail King Douche, the saviour of the Alliance.

reVerse on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an expansion that simply fleshed out existing Azeroth more... there are entire zones currently closed, and plenty of potential high-level raids: Uldum (is that hole in the door something breaking in or out?) and Grim Batol for two.

UnbrokenEva on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think those are likely to be filled in with the south seas expansion, along with a general touch up of the terrain to allow the use of flying mounts.

It's interesting that Azshara is now confirmed to be more powerfal that then lich king though. It's also quite stupid that Malygos is one of the first rad encounters in Northrend, especially given that there will no doubt be dragons in later raids that for some baffling reason will be more powerful than he was.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited September 2008
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we saw an expansion that simply fleshed out existing Azeroth more... there are entire zones currently closed, and plenty of potential high-level raids: Uldum (is that hole in the door something breaking in or out?) and Grim Batol for two.

They'll probably be added in alongside other expansions like Karazhan and the Caverns of Time.

Though I'd like an expansion in that vien, that runs through all the 1-60 content; updates the geometry for more polygons and to allow flying mounts there; adds new quests to liven up the 1-60 grind and to utilize the more recent quest design. Maybe add heroic versions of some of the old instances. (I'd like to have a reason to run through Stratholme again. BRS can blow me though.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't get into a damned guild with my fury warrior.
    Fucking hell.

Rizzi on
    edited September 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    I think those are likely to be filled in with the south seas expansion, along with a general touch up of the terrain to allow the use of flying mounts.

It's interesting that Azshara is now confirmed to be more powerfal that then lich king though. It's also quite stupid that Malygos is one of the first rad encounters in Northrend, especially given that there will no doubt be dragons in later raids that for some baffling reason will be more powerful than he was.

Spoilers for the Malygos fight.
    Alexstrazsa pumps the players the hell up during the fight

Undead Scottsman on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rami wrote: »

Spoilers for the Malygos fight.
    Alexstrazsa pumps the players the hell up during the fight
    And he violates you in P3.

815165 on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok so whenever Blizzard get off their ass and actually explain about Turalyon and Alleria without the very vague answers we already have. Do we get a big gay family reunion in Dalaran or someshit with Alleria, Sylvanas, and Veressa?

Also on expansion expectations Id would like a total underground expansion focusing solely on the Undermine and various related areas although I guess you could tie that in with the Maelstrom in general and it would keep me happy.

bloodyroarxx on
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think everyone has different things they want to hear about with the lore. Its pretty impressive that there are so many things that they could just open up or explore in the future.

Im still quite interested to find out whats been going on behind the Greymane wall.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    stavesacre wrote: »
    Im still quite interested to find out whats been going on behind the Greymane wall.
    party.jpg

Probably something like that.

Glyph on
    edited September 2008
    stavesacre wrote: »
    party.jpg

Probably something like that.

So it's just Silvermoon City v2, then?

reVerse on
    edited September 2008
    With more diversity.

Glyph on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    3 square meals a day and all the gay sex you can handle!

Brainleech on
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So what are the epic questlines alliance have in Azeroth atm?

Fuga on
    edited September 2008
    The Deadmines and Stockades chain is awesome, The Missing Diplomat is great too. Also the Krakken quest line in Dustwallow.

815165 on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Did they ever finish off the one that stars in Sunken Temple? I recall that it too you to Winterspring and then just kinda dies right there, like someone was working on it and then got distracted by something shiny.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    Did they ever finish off the one that stars in Sunken Temple? I recall that it too you to Winterspring and then just kinda dies right there, like someone was working on it and then got distracted by something shiny.

Last I checked it still ends in midair.

Speaking of quests, the Legend of Stalvan is some weird shit. I mean, when I first did it, I sure as hell didn't expect that I'd be chasing in the foot steps of a honest-to-goodness pedophile. Murderers, thieves, elemental lords, sure, but a pedophile? That seems a little weird for a game like this.

reVerse on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Considering the sort of medieval setting that Azeroth has, the act of marrying a girl of a far, far younger age than the girl in that quest chain wouldn't be uncommon. From what I got out of that quest she was either 17 or 18.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is the deadmines stockade chain the Van Cleef one?
    I want to learn a lil more about the lore, and leveling up an ally for the first time ever seems a good start. So I want to know which quests I should read and not just skip and do.
    For example I have no idea what Thrall questline everyone is talking about in BC because I don't read the quest text.

Fuga on
    edited September 2008
    So, they have a bunch of new Heroic loot over at MMO Champion.

Here's one mighty good lookin' fist weapon.

reVerse on
    edited September 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    Is the deadmines stockade chain the Van Cleef one?
    I want to learn a lil more about the lore, and leveling up an ally for the first time ever seems a good start. So I want to know which quests I should read and not just skip and do.
    For example I have no idea what Thrall questline everyone is talking about in BC because I don't read the quest text.
    Basicly, the Deadmines/Van Cleef stuff starts at level 3 and ends at level 25 when you clear the Stockades. Run through Elwynn, Westfall, The Deadmines and the Stockades and you'll get through the story.

815165 on
    edited September 2008
    So, they have a bunch of new Heroic loot over at MMO Champion.

Here's one mighty good lookin' fist weapon.
    ...And my axe!

815165 on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0

i wants it!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Warrior it is, the deal has been sealed.

Mgcw on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    omglol dst

can't wait!

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God damn it.

Patton Oswalt is going to be at Blizzcon.

Patton. Fucking. Oswalt.

I hope to god someone records his set and puts it on YouTube.

Halfmex on
This discussion has been closed.