As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Battlefield 2142 : Striketh the North!

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    Are the air units still underpowered?

That depends on what you mean by 'underpowered'.

If your talking about flying around the map with nothing that can shoot you down while you bomb 50 people into oblivion, racking up points for doing nothing, then yeah, their underpowered.

If your talking about being a good support vehicle that can take out a tank, guns on a Titan, infantry with ease (With gunner in seat), opposing transport ships and harass walkers, then no they aren't underpowered.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I cashed in 5 unlock points I had been saving and filled out a large chunk of engineer.

Oh holy God.

That big ass anti-armor gun?

Oh God. I shot a tank in the back at full health...there was this bad-hollywood-action-movie-moment-of-delay and then it exploded..killing the occupants instantly.

It was glorious. I came.

Ludious on
  • ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One thing you learn within 5 minutes of playing this game is that the mech sucks balls.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ummm. I've seen people stay in one mech the entire round and rack up kill after kill.

It doesn't suck at all if you know how to use it.

Ludious on
  • VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

If your talking about flying around the map with nothing that can shoot you down while you bomb 50 people into oblivion, racking up points for doing nothing, then yeah, their underpowered.

If your talking about being a good support vehicle that can take out a tank, guns on a Titan, infantry with ease (With gunner in seat), opposing transport ships and harass walkers, then no they aren't underpowered.

I disliked the power of the gunner's ATGM against a Walker. I always liked that rock-paper-scissors balance present in BF. The top gunner could do some damage against air units but the rockets for the air units had poor splash and I disliked the tracking of those rockets against the other air units. It felt too easy, less complicated as the series progress with air units. I've been playing Battlefield since it the first game but they just kept getting little things wrong that made the rest of the game annoying.

VaLiantine on
    edited January 2007
    VaLiantine wrote:
    Masume wrote:
    VaLiantine wrote:

I disliked the power of the gunner's ATGM against a Walker. I always liked that rock-paper-scissors balance present in BF. The top gunner could do some damage against air units but the rockets for the air units had poor splash and I disliked the tracking of those rockets against the other air units. It felt too easy, less complicated as the series progress with air units. I've been playing Battlefield since it the first game but they just kept getting little things wrong that made the rest of the game annoying.

NOT AT ALL LIKE EVERY LIONHEAD GAME EVER MADE

..sorry. Seriously. I'm just joking with you, but I had to.

Ludious on
  • OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You homps up to swarming a server tonight?

Say 8:00 EST?

Ozmodai on
  • RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just got it yesterday at Wal-mart for $40. It's better than I thought it would be, especially on my new, upgraded computer. The biggest problem I'm having is landing on a Titan with any kind of air. I always descend too fast and end up blowing up. Is there some secret to it? I really wish the game had tutorials, instead of a Starship Troopers-esque video.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kaliyama reporting for duty...

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Masume shot me twice.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Haven't played it for a month or two, but I'm slowly coming back in. Add me if you want: MajorArmadillo

DrIanMalcolm on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can't play until Monday. Right now I'm on a temporary, crappy videocard until my new one comes. It was suppose to come Friday, but UPS is lame. :(

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok I think I got everyone's buddy invites sent.

Im on at random times though so meh :P

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited January 2007
    Raere wrote:
    Just got it yesterday at Wal-mart for $40. It's better than I thought it would be, especially on my new, upgraded computer. The biggest problem I'm having is landing on a Titan with any kind of air. I always descend too fast and end up blowing up. Is there some secret to it? I really wish the game had tutorials, instead of a Starship Troopers-esque video.

The jets/transports are VERY easy once you get a handle on them. The transports handle like giant boats, the immediate effects of thrusting/backthrusting aren't felt, then suddenly your stopping on a dime. Also your speed is determined by your angle, much like a choppers. You'll find with the transports that you'll need to angle it only slightly so that your not coming in *too* hot while throttling down, nice and slow. Once you get to the deck inch your angle back slightly and simply let the thrust go. It should land nice and smooth. Now the gunship is another matter...it floats without even holding the thrust half the time, and if you backthrust you go into a hover.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • XenoXeno Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, just got the game and it's pretty damn good so far. But I have a technical question.

1. Alright, the game runs fine but there's still some stuttering. I can't explain it, but the game doesn't run smoothly. I join a 4 player server and it was running like butter. Then I joined a 48 player server and it ran like ass. Now I thought 1gb of ram would be enough, but apparently it isn't. You guys recommend buying another stick of ram? Will it improve or is this game the problem and just can't handle that many people.

2. Ok, this one is weird. For some reason, there is ALWAYS noise. Like a jet engine constantly around me. Doesn't matter where I am. I joined the 4 player server and ran right to the edge of the map. No one there. No vehicles or anything. Still happens. Noise. This loud blaring noise. What is going on?

Xeno on
    edited January 2007
    Masume shot me twice.

Oh, sorry man, you need to get on my team/squad! I didn't even notice you until I killed you that last time on the Titan. FYI, there aren't really any safe places to stand in that sucker besides a hallway once it's open for invasion. Their are walkways overlooking the whole area.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited January 2007
    Xeno wrote:
    Ok, just got the game and it's pretty damn good so far. But I have a technical question.

1. Alright, the game runs fine but there's still some stuttering. I can't explain it, but the game doesn't run smoothly. I join a 4 player server and it was running like butter. Then I joined a 48 player server and it ran like ass. Now I thought 1gb of ram would be enough, but apparently it isn't. You guys recommend buying another stick of ram? Will it improve or is this game the problem and just can't handle that many people.

2. Ok, this one is weird. For some reason, there is ALWAYS noise. Like a jet engine constantly around me. Doesn't matter where I am. I joined the 4 player server and ran right to the edge of the map. No one there. No vehicles or anything. Still happens. Noise. This loud blaring noise. What is going on?

1. 2 gigs of ram is a *must* for any high settings whatsoever. This was also true in BF2. Try turning down ambient lighting/shadows, or shutting them down altogether.

2. That's your sound card, or perhaps lack theroff. It uses quite a few channels, and if your running with an onboard sound card or something with very few channels (Onboard usually only has *8*), it will overlap sounds through the channels it has available, thus you will hear most everything within the map.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    you need to get on my team/squad!

I R n00b, and don't know how to do that.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    you need to get on my team/squad!

I R n00b, and don't know how to do that.

Caps Lock is your friend. It is used for squad management and the commander screen.

Ozmodai on
  • Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My soldier name is Corrvis. I don't really play at any specific times, but I play often enough.

Vindicta_ on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's a link to the expansion pack's trailer.
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/878/878421/vids_1.html
    Today Electronic Arts announced it is working on Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike for the PC. The booster pack is being cooked up at the EA Digital Illusions (DICE) studio in Stockholm, Sweden and is slated for release in March 2007.

The booster pack will include three new maps: the WWII battle scene at the Bridge at Remagen, an Alpine Titan docking harbour in Port Bavaria, and a claustrophobic showdown in the Liberation of Leipzig. New vehicles included are the EU's heavily armed IFV Goliath and the PAC's hovering IFV Hachimoto. Plus players will find new unlocks, new badges and ribbons, and new gameplay scenarios.

"Our number one goal with Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike was to give fans more of the close-quarters combat, increased persistence and new toys they've been asking for," said Kristoffer Bergqvist, the booster pack's producer. "We've also added gameplay enhancements including two brand new vehicle types in an asymmetrical set-up. Furthermore, we're introducing the Titan game mode into an urban setting and will debut the intensified Conquest Assault Lines game mode."
    I don't know what to think about this

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited January 2007

Sounds like a solid expansion pack to me.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Huh, and here I thought it was gonna introduce a third faction (The US) with weapons and vehicles identical to the EU.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Air power is horrible now. Fuck those useless ass "gunships" that are armed with nerf guns.
    This is perhaps the most compelling reason I've seen to buy BF2142.

TwistedJester on
    edited January 2007
    Air power is horrible now. Fuck those useless ass "gunships" that are armed with nerf guns.

All I know is that it is so very hard to keep a bead on a moving ground target when you are operating one of the passenger guns on an air vehicle.

And the fact that your life is in the hands of some joker who may not even be able to fly the thing well is not comforting.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's my BF Sig. I haven't put it in my actual sig because, honestly, I'd rather the Xbox there. But, send me a buddy request if you like, I enjoy long walks on an enemy titan, moonlit skies filled with AA Flak, and blowing up enemies in a tank.
    BF2142SigFull.png

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • BronzeDuckBronzeDuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

It depends on weather or not the expansion pack weapons are ungodly powerful like in BF2. Also, the whole trend of a few new weapons/vehicles/maps requiring money is rather annoying, especially when the original game isn't finished before the expansion is announced.

BronzeDuck on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the choppers in BF2 have been nerfed for awhile, in the form of reduced armor. This kind of backfired because survival of the fittest guaranteed that anyone flying an attack chopper was extremely skilled and dangerous. The planes were still pretty much unstoppable by anything but another plane.

They should have made an airplane only map. It would have attracted most of the people causing most of the problems in other servers.

FreddyD on
  • NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    BronzeDuck wrote:

It depends on weather or not the expansion pack weapons are ungodly powerful like in BF2. Also, the whole trend of a few new weapons/vehicles/maps requiring money is rather annoying, especially when the original game isn't finished before the expansion is announced.

You mean... a game still has bugs after being released? Eep! ;)

If I assume correctly, Northern Strike will cost about 10 bucks over EALink, since they are referring to it as a "Booster Pack." It's better than the $40 I paid for the BF2 expansion, Special Forces. The later booster packs for that game were $10, though.

The only thing I dislike about the BF style expansions is that it segregates the entire community. It's not like you'll be jumping from a normal BF2142 game into one where people have the expansion. Once you install it, you've got a whole new game and you can only play with people who also have it. That is, unless, you launch the old game. Problem is, what if only a fraction of the BF2142 community buys Northern Strike? Hopefully with the low price point we won't see that happen.

Nswyers on
  • Vindicta_Vindicta_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    I think the choppers in BF2 have been nerfed for awhile, in the form of reduced armor. This kind of backfired because survival of the fittest guaranteed that anyone flying an attack chopper was extremely skilled and dangerous. The planes were still pretty much unstoppable by anything but another plane.

They should have made an airplane only map. It would have attracted most of the people causing most of the problems in other servers.

Gunship aren't as useless as you think.

I've gone rounds upwards of 30:1 in 'em. If you learn to not try to use them like BF2 air vehicles you'll be fine. The only think I don't like about them is that the gunner's missile is pretty useless against ground vehicles taking 2 or 3 hits to take down.

Vindicta_ on
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    BronzeDuck wrote:

If I assume correctly, Northern Strike will cost about 10 bucks over EALink, since they are referring to it as a "Booster Pack." It's better than the $40 I paid for the BF2 expansion, Special Forces. The later booster packs for that game were $10, though.

The only thing I dislike about the BF style expansions is that it segregates the entire community. It's not like you'll be jumping from a normal BF2142 game into one where people have the expansion. Once you install it, you've got a whole new game and you can only play with people who also have it. That is, unless, you launch the old game. Problem is, what if only a fraction of the BF2142 community buys Northern Strike? Hopefully with the low price point we won't see that happen.

Regardless of wether the new APCs are available on the new maps only, or game-wide, there are other unlocks and such with will serve to drive the sales of the booster.

And wouldn't it be insteresting if the new APCs were game-wide, but only actually useable by those who had the booster? I don't actually see much segrigation in this.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    BronzeDuck wrote:

Regardless of wether the new APCs are available on the new maps only, or game-wide, there are other unlocks and such with will serve to drive the sales of the booster.

And wouldn't it be insteresting if the new APCs were game-wide, but only actually useable by those who had the booster? I don't actually see much segrigation in this.

From what they have been saying about this thing is that there is no separate NS game. It just adds 10 new unlocks and ranks to you and some maps. Sounds like the preorder bonuses really.

It would be kind of interesting if the new vehicles are in the old snow maps too but you cant use drive them if you aren't qualified (have pack).

I'm more interested in what the 10 new unlocks are gonna be.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I still play this!

I am the best man with a Pilum you'll ever find.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited January 2007
    Kazhiim wrote:
    I still play this!

I am the best man with a Pilum you'll ever find.

I don't know about that, the Pilum is pretty popular, and I'm hardly a slouch. ;)

FYI Guys, please post your name and good playing times so we can organize something. I've seen a bunch of you on lately, remember you can join servers your friends are on!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I finally get my videocard today, so I can play from here on out. Good times for me to play are anything but Wednesday, and mainly after 2:00 PM CST.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I plan on picking this up after school today since I have all of next week off.

See you all on the field.

Bryse Eayo on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lately I'm actually somewhat frustrated with the walker. I got killed by a tank in 1 shot while in a walker (now tank is my best vehicle and I can't kill a walker in 3 shots, sometimes 4, much less 1). I guess it just amounts to not enough practice, but the walker seems to be much more powerful than the other armor due to the fact that the weak spots are VERY inaccessable.

I <3 my pilum, but I've been field upgrading to the SAAW lately in air heavy maps and, lemme tell you, them gunship and transport fiends HATE it. After awhile, they stop flying.

But, <3 titan defense, I have my Ganz, shield, and sentry gun set up and ain't no one getting past unless you're brining like 4 buddies to rush me.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2007
    I love me some walker action, and I would have to agree, it generally is the most powerful. It's more manueverable, can easily take on both infantry and tanks, and it's weak spots are generally hard to hit. It takes a lot of spatial awarness though to use them, and you have to be moving *constantly* so that they can't target your knees or backside. The Tron tank can stand a chance if it strafes and gets lucky enough, or if your far enough way that the missiles have a hard time hitting.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited January 2007
    The best advice against walkers is to shoot them right up the tail pipe. In da butt as they say.

While piloting a walker, it's best to press the Shift key to make the walker run. I find that it's better to walk while firing at at target though, as it reduces the walkers bobbing.

Ozmodai on
  • NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nswyers wrote:
    BronzeDuck wrote:

From what they have been saying about this thing is that there is no separate NS game. It just adds 10 new unlocks and ranks to you and some maps. Sounds like the preorder bonuses really.

It would be kind of interesting if the new vehicles are in the old snow maps too but you cant use drive them if you aren't qualified (have pack).

I'm more interested in what the 10 new unlocks are gonna be.

I don't know. If they don't segregate original BF2142 from BF2142+NS, you'll see this happening:

Player using stock game joins server.
    Plays a map until the end of the round.
    Server changes map to new NS map.
    Player gets booted.
    Rinse. Repeat.

For this reason, BF2: Special Forces actually segregated the two games. You could go and play on the old maps, but people with the old game could not play on the new ones. Whats more, the new weapons weren't available on the new maps (grappling hook, zip line, etc)

As far as the unlocks are concerned, I see no problem with those going game-wide, but it's the maps I'm thinking about here...

Nswyers on