As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xhaztol can put pen to tablet, pen to tablet

XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, been a long time lurker of this thread, I normally bounce around G/T and SE++, but you guys are all uber-talented. I've got a lot of Warcraft-flavored art that has accompanied the stories of my friends. We're huge RP nerds and have kinda taken our characters into srs biznass territory, but they're some of the best people I've met on the interbutt besides you guys.

I've been working at doing all manners of digital painting, so I thought I'd share some recent works for perusal and C/C. I'm a bit intimidated by ConceptArt.org, so this is where I'd like to start as far a platform to share, since all yous guys are so familiar.

I'll throw down what I just recently did as our RP guild's splash image. It was the first time I played with a really dark scene and very monochromatic lighting. It's saturated as all hell, but I actually kinda like it.

sbrsplash.jpg

kalamari.jpg
Xhaztol on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's kind of hard to make out much on that image. It seems like the underlying drawing isn't bad, though.

I think one of the problems in this piece is that you've colored everything as if it were the same value...the faces, the ground, the armor, the rocks, the mushrooms, etc. It's as if everything in the picture is the same color, and the light from the fire hits it all equally. Each one of those items should have some variation in value from the next item - rocks are going to look different than skin. Mushrooms will have a different value than the rocks.

And if you want to get really technical, all of these will react with light in a different way. Metal will be shiny, mushrooms and faces will be softer, etc.

I think you could also bump up the brightness of the fire quite a bit.

Also, if it's monochromatic...there shouldn't be white that's that white. White is actually a cool color, so adding it to a warm, monochromatic palette looks a bit odd. If you add a bit of yellow there, I think it would look a lot better.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thank you for the crits, I'll be pulling up the unflattened PSD and seeing what I can do with it in regards to those issues after work tonight. And after getting some textures done on my 3D models.

Appreciate it!

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It is hard to make out the linework with the coloring the way it is. The coloring isn't really flattering to you lines. I really suck at choosing colors but ND knows what she is talking about.

My crit is that the light isn't really reflecting off objects as fire would. Objects sitting that close to a fire I think would be much brighter. Also The ground by the mushrooms is looking oddly blurry.

Keep it up cause I think you've got some good lines underneath all that dark brown.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd crit but i'd just be echoing what everyone else has said so far. However it'd definately be worth locking the transparency on your light layer and try experimenting with the colours, the drawing underneath is really nice so it's worth it to put in some more effort with this.

Mustang on