As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creatures , Hands and Feet, etc

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Artist's Corner

NightDragon on

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :shock: I say Zoh-My-God as well.

also the painting is nice, what medium?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scosglen wrote:
    :shock: I say Zoh-My-God as well.

also the painting is nice, what medium?

oh, der. I forgot to write that in. :)

Done in gouache. 16.5" x 23" on oaktag........which suddenly makes me wonder if this is going to yellow in the future or not...I really don't know anything about oaktag. :(

Google-time go!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hmm, I've never used gouache before, probably why I couldn't identify it (almost looks water-colorey in spots). What's it handle like? You put it to jawsome use on the greenish water patches at the top of the drops in the foreground.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scosglen wrote:
    Hmm, I've never used gouache before, probably why I couldn't identify it (almost looks water-colorey in spots). What's it handle like? You put it to jawsome use on the greenish water patches at the top of the drops in the foreground.

Thankee! Gouache is pretty much like an opaque watercolor. When I wanted it watercolor-y, I would water it down...and when I wanted it more opaque, I would use less water, or I'd just mix paints straight out of the tube. I would hesitate to say that the paint is a little "thicker", or that it dries faster, because those perceptions could, in part, be a result of my not having used watercolor in years. But overall, it pretty much handles like watercolor.

I've never really 100% "gotten" watercolors - it's an odd thing for my brain to grasp, I guess...using layers of paint, overlapping washes, having to know where all your highlights are going beforehand...I just work so much better knowing that if something needs a highlight or a lighter color, I can just put it there. Definately something I plan on mastering one day, though. :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Them some fine lookin ladies. Solid work!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Very awesome ND. I love the gouache one too. I used some black, white and gray gouache in my first design class and it was a pain for me to get used to so you rock.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wanted to look at this thread since I saw it in the morning, but I didn't want to get fiered for looking at naked ladies on the office computer.

Then I'd have to kill you.

*dead serious stare*

But seriously, your figure drawings motivated me to enroll in a figure drawing class... because... because... I secretly want to draw like you!

I'll start this Saturday, any tips for a first timer?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    @Toaster: Brush over your human proportions (probably in # of heads) and you may want to acquaint yourself with various sighting techniques if you aren't already familiar with using feature alignments to make sure your figures map out accurately.

A lot of people also have trouble with placing their figures on the page when they start out, so it can be a good idea to indicate the top, bottom, and furthest left and right points of your figure on the page with tick marks first thing, and then find mid-points on your figure to start constructing the form from.

Taking extra time in the beginning to make sure everything is in proportion and laid out correctly before you commit to rendering and tighter lines is probably the most important thing to do on extended studies.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm with Scos on all that stuff.

On your heads,

When drawing the head, the best way to go about it is to look for the bones first. They key is forming the eye sockets and jaw correctly, then the feature will fall into place. Also, on a couple of your drawings you are really avoiding hands (and feet a little too it seems). I would say at very least put some kind of mitten shape in to represent where they are and what kind of form its taking. I say this with the 4th and 5th ones in mind.

overall though good stuff, that painting is straight baller on top.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ooh, don't misinterpret ND, everything I said about figure drawing was in answer to macigtoaster's question, not a critique of your work :P

Probably should have made that clearer, but really, it's good advice for anyone to keep in mind. >.>

As for ND's figure work, most of them look like pretty good studies. The only thing I don't like to see are some pretty strange looking "slices" of shadow visible on the backs of the third and last full figure that could be rendered a little more gingerly--but without anything to compare it's possible the light just looked weird from that angle.

Keep it up!

Scosglen on
  • Options
    hunterbhunterb Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    these are pretty good. dont waste your time at scad lolz

hunterb on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hunterb wrote:
    :?:

Art school is totally what you make it. And high profile schools like scad have great faculty, which for those who care enough, you can absorb large amounts of information from. The school isnt going to do all the work for you, just because you are paying ridiculous amounts for it.

Not to mention you can learn a lot just by being in a creative environment, even if the teacher suck. Which I highly doubt is the case.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sublimus wrote:
    hunterb wrote:
    :?:

Art school is totally what you make it. And high profile schools like scad have great faculty, which for those who care enough, you can absorb large amounts of information from. The school isnt going to do all the work for you, just because you are paying ridiculous amounts for it.

Not to mention you can learn a lot just by being in a creative environment, even if the teacher suck. Which I highly doubt is the case.

Great advice that isn't limited to art schools :)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nightdragon-

I know what you mean about hands and feet taking along time to draw. That is, using lines to describe an outline and then shading it. That proccess doesnt lend itself well to hands, and seems to be how your aproaching most of the figure. For the hands, I would suggest trying to use a basic mitten just to get the form of the fingers and palm, if the fingers are apart the mitten shouldnt be very definate. Break down the form of the hand like any other form, look for plane changes as a whole, based on your mitten. The fingers from the first knuckle to the 2nd knuckle often make a plane. The top of the hand is often two planes. The top of the thumb part of the palm forms another plane. Then, understanding that these planes come from the fact inside of the palm is convex and bends you can figure out how these planes move and accomadate themselves to forms (like a hand on a knee, or side).

/edit

One of the single greatest things ive learned in figure drawing, one of those "wow" moments where by simply realizing it it made my drawings at least twice as more effective was this-

When drawing a form or shape, always have a visual of what the other side of that shape looks like. If you can't visualize it, get up and walk over there. Being able to see through the forms, through the bones and being able to follow all of the contours around and in the form will help you immensely in being able to break it down. After you can do that, you can make much more sense of where forms insert into eachother and overlap. Just something to think about...

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    One of the single greatest things ive learned in figure drawing, one of those "wow" moments where by simply realizing it it made my drawings at least twice as more effective was this-

When drawing a form or shape, always have a visual of what the other side of that shape looks like. If you can't visualize it, get up and walk over there. Being able to see through the forms, through the bones and being able to follow all of the contours around and in the form will help you immensely in being able to break it down. After you can do that, you can make much more sense of where forms insert into eachother and overlap. Just something to think about...

I do this quite a bit when figure drawing, but especially when constructing figures from imagination. I find it helps quite a bit to lightly put in a quick "cross section" type contour line in sockets or joints and places like the neck where two major masses meet or change. I spend almost as much time examining the "volume" of the figure like this as I do actually putting down the final contour.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scosglen wrote:
    I find it helps quite a bit to lightly put in a quick "cross section" type contour line in sockets or joints and places like the neck where two major masses meet or change.

Heh, I do that too. :)

Thanks for the advicements, Scos/Nation.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Figure19.jpg

Man that's really good. If I were you I'd put a face on there anyway, because having it blank just totally kills it.

galen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Finished this last night. Was up until 4:45am, because I am absolutely crazy.

Whee!

Creatures2.jpg

Galen - I'll probably add a better face in and make it a part of the portfolio. Thanks for the comment. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Finished these just now.

Feet.jpg

Hands.jpg

I realize the knuckle may be too far over on the first one - I've fixed that in the original.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    wow great stuff. im gr12 too and your stuff blows mine away...at least it gets me motivated

good work

Haxagor on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Kevin_DaKillaKevin_DaKilla Registered User new member
    edited January 2007
    Figure19.jpg

Lol, that face just makes it very hilarious.

Kevin_DaKilla on
    I used to think that I was going around in circles, but its really a downward spiral.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dude, the stick legged creature, there's some real perspective issues with the legs.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tam wrote:
    Dude, the stick legged creature, there's some real perspective issues with the legs.

Howso? The way I placed the legs in the grass? It seems kind of screwed up there, I think.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think it looks semi-wonky in the hind leg in the background. Mostly just because of where the foot meets the ground. I didn't notice it till I went back to look at it a second time.

And those hand and feet studies are super...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ND! I was just wonderin where you'ld sauntered off too.

Those figures are really nice... finish some of them!

:^: :^:

Ravenshadow on