As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rank's sketchdump - two new pieces p10

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    You've got demonic dedication, Rank- I've never seen anyone work so hard at this. Good luck with everything.

Pfft, if my dedication were half what it should be for this program I'm about to enter, I wouldn't have fallen so far behind. Getting out of the work environment, moving to a new area and actually entering the school environment where I'm doing this all day long should help, so that I don't have the "I'm at work, I can't draw, I'm at home I don't want to work" situation. A lot of the time, I find that the biggest problem I have in staying motivated is due to location. If I'm out on an expedition finding shit to draw, I'll plow through stuff. But when I get home, christ, I'm so good at self-distraction. If I'm in an environment that I trael to with the express purpose of getting work done, I'll get work done, but coming home for me has always been a signal that "work's done, time to do home things". This may come as a problem in a few weeks when homework becomes a very real part of my life, but I'm going to be living across the street from the school, literally, so I'll be able to go there and do homework. Again, physical separation. Shit, right now I'm self-distracting myself again by dicking around on the computer. Grrrrr

I hear that. Go to work- make burgers, come home- too tired to draw, dick around the internet, go to sleep, get up- Biology.

Tam on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like the values on a lot of your stuff. Definitely is the right idea to keep at it, drawing from direct observation every day. The only thing I would suggest is practicing some basic geometric shapes. Structure is very important, especially early on when you first are learning to draw.

If you have any cubes or even cardboard boxes around the house, try setting them up with some good light sources. Not only will you learn more about values based from the lighting, but also learn something about basic structure of how the box is put together - how to show depth and space with lines.

Gotta go, stay with it.

GurtPerk on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    no photos, as I don't have a camera, but it's coming down to the wire in terms of when this has to be complete

I am now officially unemployed and have moved down to bellevue, where I'll be going to school in less than two weeks, and so I spent the entire day at Bellevue Square, a huge-ass mall, where I managed to whip out a record 57 sketches in one day. I am about to go start doing workbook assignments now, and tomorrow I'll be going to repeat today's performance after running around running errands

saturday, I'm going to the zoo to try to get closer to the goal. As of this moment, I have about 240 drawings left to complete by September 2nd. This wouldn't be so bad if PAX wasn't next weekend, I didn't have to spend this weekend moving and cleaning our old place, and freshmen orientation was all next week.

fuuuuuuuuuuck so much drawing

it is a lot of fun, though, I have really learned to just work fast to capture a quick essence or likeness, and to work on overall shape and fill out details from there, as well as having the chance to draw more of a whole body instead of just the face

alright, back to the grind

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Congrats, Rank - working fast is probably my weakest point, and it's the same for a lot of other practicing artists I know.

Also congrats on the move, etc.
    I'll just bring your shirt to PAX. Save a lot of bother/money.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    bring a sketchbook, too, I'm gunna have to be drawing a ton there

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2008
    i'll see what i can do but i ain't got much room in my carryon

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited August 2008
    don't be a ponce, there's always room for a sketchbook

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited September 2008
    no chance to update with my sketches (still no camera, argh), but here's a couple drawings for an assignment I've got where we basically have to come up with a creature that lives on some different world and document it as if we were medical illustrators. Lots more to the project, but that's the basic idea.

Phase3_Drawing.jpg

skeletal%20structure%20-%20labeled.jpg

hopefully will have more to share soon

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited September 2008
    I think you're approaching the first one with more of an artist's perspective. As far as I've seen, naturalists usually try for simple angles to record the most interesting parts of creatures they discover. Darwin, for instance, drew side profiles of the heads of the finches he researched.

The composition with the whole creature in the center with close-ups of its interesting bits surrounding it would give a pretty authentic look too.

Just something to think about.

I'd help you out with some the problems in the art itself, but I just got back from work and I am really tired.

Tam on
    edited September 2008
    yeah, I actually have a whole shitload more anatomical sketches - closeups of the tentacles with details of how electroreceptive mucous cells work, 3D sketches of different bones and other parts of its anatomy, all part of a fake academic research paper. Those are just two of a bunch I had to do for the assignment, and the two I had handy to upload. The first one is definitely the more artistic, the second was really supposed to be just a simple diagram to clearly label each major bone area of the skeleton.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • DeadlyVenomDeadlyVenom Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Based on the number of pages you needed for the sketchbook, the date in which you start class, and the recognizable exercises from the book I have. I would say you are going to DigiPen. Though I am not positive.

DeadlyVenom on
    HammerSig.jpg
    edited September 2008
    ayup. Sitting in Miyizaki lab right now, waiting to use the scanner, as a matter of fact

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    it is pretty amazing to see the improvement you have made on drawing faces, very impressive rank

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey dude, it's cool to see the improvement you've made in the last few months. It's very inspiring. I think i'll try something like what you've done over my four months break before i start third year at Uni.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited September 2008
    thanks, guys

I really wish I had a camera, once again, to keep documenting my progress. I'm actually burning through way more drawings than I was previously, and my summer sketchbook is long done and behind me. Now I'm on pace to do around 50 pages a week, four per page, which means most of the drawings are utter shit, but it's all about progress. Most of them are done as basic exercises in different methods or marks - my current assignment is five pages each of six different drawing methods (scattergun, geometric primitive, value pattern, structural, perimeter first and something I'm forgetting) and twenty pages of measured gestural drawing. In a week. Every week. Last week it was artist studies, learning to replicate mark methods and styles - not drawn for accuracy as much as an exercise in different mark styles, like ink wash, frantic charcoal, loose light pencil, etc.

Hopefully I'll have acquired a camera in the next couple months and I'll flood this thread with new images, but I'll keep posting scans here and there as time allows.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Rank do you do a lot of gesture drawings?

For some reason i'm curious about this.

Godfather on
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You're really great at values, and the animals look great.

But with human faces they really just don't look natural.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Rank do you do a lot of gesture drawings?

For some reason i'm curious about this.
    starting to do a lot more, now

didn't even know what a gesture drawing was until three weeks ago

I'm trying to go to at least one life drawing session a week, as homework permits. THey've got three a week at my school, and the one I went to this saturday was great.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PICT0150-2.jpg

I have that Tick toy.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2008
    so a quick update, I had to scan these for my history of film and animation class

we had to do a rough storyboard for an imaginary scene for an imaginary film about the WTO riots, where a dude breaks a starbucks window and gets tasered. I was actually at the protest, so this whole thing pisses me off to no end (always about the fucking starbucks, never about the hundreds of other amazing things about that protest). We had to use a montage method that Sergei Eisenstein used, "inspired by" a scene from Battleship Potemkin.

These are rough as fuck and the scan quality is poop from a butt, but it was one of the first assignments that didn't involve me having to draw my damn shoe sixty times, or boxes and cubes in thirty thousand ways, so it was a little fun. The pictures need a shitload of work, but I ran out of time.

anyway, enjoy.

(h-scroll spoiler)
    frame-1.jpg

frame-2.jpg

frame-3.jpg

frame-4.jpg

frame-5.jpg

frame-6.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The best thing to do with gestures is to buy a shitton of newsprint and just go to town in a figure drawing class. Just burn through those pages. Also do those gestures blind; don't even try to look at the paper.

The five to fifteen second blind gestures are pretty easy, but anything between thirty seconds to a minute is when things start getting hairy. I have to do these for at least nine hours a week, and nothing can frustrate a person more than doing blind minute gestures for an entire class period and seeing nothing but a bunch of random lines on the page with no readable form whatsoever, so your best bet is to start off with super-quick five second gesture poses on newsprint and just draw like there's no tomorrow.

For the record, the minute gesture poses do get better, it just takes a lot of time before your hand gets trained to not go all over the page spectrum and create a line-driven mess.

Godfather on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    newsprint is fun you get a excuse to do random stuff

quack quack quack quack

wow i'm horrible

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It was really neat to look at all of your sketch dumps. I could actually kind of see as i scrolled down that you were getting better, and better with each panel. GOOD JOB!

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    so this weekend, from friday evening on, was entirely spent finishing the JC Coll artist study sketchbook assignment. In the last 48 hours, I spent 40 of them drawing.

I am fucking wrecked. I want to dig up Coll's corpse and savage it.

On the bright side, I did (in my opinion) some of my best work to date on it, as it is incredibly intricate ink work, which is what I enjoy probably the most. Hours on each one. I just turned it in, so I won't be able to show anything from it until this time next week, but I'll definitely put up some scans.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited September 2008
    Shit, man, I can't wait!

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2008
    update: day and a half later and I still feel like shit. I'm an old goddamn man, drinking dennys coffee for two days straight does a goddamn number on me.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2008
    alright, as promised, here's some of the results from last week's artist study assignment. These were done from very low resolution slides of art by Joseph Clement Coll.

beards.jpg
    The one on the right was left empty intentionally, to show how I did the base areas using a brush pen, and I was really pleased at how you could still read the expression without all the detail. The one on the left, however, looks like a stuffed corpse.

choke.jpg
    this was the last one I did, actually, and I didn't draw in the background or other details just because it was already 3 am on Sunday and this assignment was due in six hours.

fire.jpg

gunshot.jpg

horses.jpg
    I'm really happy with how this one came out, especially compared to the quality of the original - you couldn't see any detail whatsoever.

peacock.jpg
    There was a third man, right in the center, that I didn't do on this one, for time reasons.

pencil.jpg
    the only one in graphite.

swords.jpg
    I actually narrowed the frame a bit to force the swords to pop out, as the guy in the back got lost otherwise, and he seemed like such an important part of the narrative of the piece.

throne.jpg
    this was done with a dip nib pen in gold ink and with a rapidograph pen in chestnut, although the original was in black. I did this to help offset him from the background and to enhance the feeling of age and archaic wisdom.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2008
    Nice. I think you've captured his work pretty well.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited October 2008
    another image for the frog thing assignment. Ran out of time for the foot and the head, but it's neat color work. Haven't used prismacolor pencils in fucking years.

muscles_and_skeleton_th.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited October 2008
    a quick and dirty drawing done an hour before class, combining some different animal parts into one "surreal composite". Gorilla body, tapir head and kangaroo feet and tail.

composite_final_sm.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    holy christ that is a lot of improvement in a short amount of time
    that is unbelievable dude
    i'm very impressed
    the men on horses, especially
    but i like the "this place was on fire" one best

mully on
    edited October 2008
    Most Improved Artist 2008

Also a Pretty Funny Dude

Tam on
    edited October 2008
    damn, rank!

damn!

Orikaeshigitae on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Make sure when you are doing master studies that you stay as close to the original as possible. JCC is a difficult artist to do with this because at times it feels like there is no rhythm to his linework but it is still important to make sure you are capturing the image as closely to the original as humanly possible. I think it would be better to do one large, very very careful study than several smaller faster ones.

Nice studies though. This: http://rankenphile.com/images/jc_coll/peacock.jpg feels the closest to a JCC original to me.

rts on
    edited October 2008
    thanks, cake

I agree one hundred percent that it would have been a lot better to do one large careful one rather than the others, but the assignment was to have ten of those on top of forty pages of negative space studies done in a week, on top of all my other assignments (animation, art history, english, bio and film). I tried to put as much time as I could in, and ended up spending around forty hours on those ten, but time was a very critical factor. I was as careful as I could be in making sure my linework was as deliberate as possible, taking care to work within the rhythm of his lines and building value through proximity as best I could, but again it was a hell of a job just getting them done. I'm afraid I don't have access to the original images (distance learning site is down at the moment - institute of technology my ass) but they were incredibly low res - in most images you couldn't make out line direction or method whatsoever, so we were left to try to interpret the shitty sources as much as we could.

Overall, it was an exercise in trying to recreate method and mark than perfect accuracy, and I'm pleased with what I learned, although I'm sort of convinced that particular assignment was at least partially responsible for me contracting a cold from hell that knocked me on my back for a few days after.

I'm on another assignment right now where we're doing a ton of building volumetric forms (the Brian Curtis' Drawing From Observation birdhouses, among other exercises) as well as another artist study - don't have the name in front of me, a really fascinating Vietnamese artist with loose, incredible ink work. I'm trying to find time for life drawing sessions, but the schedule really is murder. Next semester, though, I get a full life drawing class twice a week plus homework, so I'll have ample opportunity.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Was getting a bit disheartened to not hear much back at all. I've got some neat stuff coming up, I'll be sure to keep posting scans as I can get them, and I'll likely have a camera by the end of the year to post more regular shots of assignment work.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited November 2008
    something new I've been doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx__JcEHdcI

modified walk animation - ran out of space on the page so I had to get a little creative

and a couple other sketches I've done for various assignments

Perspective_Drawing_sm.jpg

Phase5_final_th.jpg

been doing a lot of color work lately, learning how to mix prismacolor pencil and watercolor pencil and stuff. Lots of fun, fascinating stuff.

hopefully will have more sometime soon.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited November 2008
    I don't know the right word, but there is a lot of 'life' in that animation, particularly just as he hits the ground. How long did it take you to do that animation?

winter_combat_knight on
    edited November 2008
    yesterday and today, mostly. From about 6 pm last night until midnight and then from 5 to around 10.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited November 2008
    here's a standard walk and run cycle I did for my last assignment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtkf8S3mggo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMzScpFjGU

edit: ahahahahaha I was goofing around with the new Audioswap feature with the walk cycle and apparently I accidentally saved changes. Somehow a electrofunk beat on a walk cycle makes it waaaaay cooler.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I am laughing out loud at the music.

I suggest going back and editing it in to the other two.

bombardier on