As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Healer Archetypes: You are a hat.

• HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    I have a question for those playing Warrior Preists. Is this like Pally in WoW or is it somewhat different. This class looks pretty cool but if it feels like a Paladin I'm gonna be so depressed.

They play nothing like paladins.

Hedwirez on
  • HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Double post. Stupid iPhone

Hedwirez on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2008
    Woo. Just 200 damage away from most damage done, and still third best on healing -- and best on Destro side.

I likes DoK.

Echo on
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    exis wrote: »
    So at level five on my rune priest, my current mob-killing rotation goes something like this:
    1) DoT half a dozen mobs
    2) Heal myself
    3) Reapply DoT's
    4) Go to 2), until
    4) Everything is dead.

Does this stop being viable eventually? Because the rate at which I can kill stuff right now, as a class that I imagined would be on the low end of DPS output, is pretty ridiculous.

You will actually get a PBAE in a couple levels and that will make the whole process even faster. Doesn't do huge damage, but speeds things up.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Man, I can't decide at all on which mastery to go for on my WP. Most classes have some really attractive utility trees, but in this case, there seem to be two utility trees and one healing tree, and they all seem roughly equally nice.

I'm slightly leaning toward Wrath though. Does endless guilt automatically apply the snare to everyone in range, or does it only apply to players in range, that also happen to be cursed?
    They have to be cursed

The Rocking M on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Could someone who is in the know point me towards a good UI mod that helps with healing. It should preferably do 2 things:

1) Good solid health bars that you can click on easily.
    2) Some kind of range indicator.

Because the party window just doesn't cut it, especially when your trying to keep up with the other group as well. And trying to click on someone manually is almost impossible (especially since I for some very weird reason get a fair bit of lag at times).

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Try Squared or Healgrid. Personally I prefer Squared, despite everyone seeming to be onboard with Healgrid currently. Healgrid apparently has a hovercast mod AND range indicator built in, though I am not sure the range indicator works. I don't think any MMO really allows for a true range indicator for addons - the best the game allows I would think is a yes/no check based on different ranges of your skills. So at best you'll be able to know if target is 150+ feet, 100-150ft, checked against the different ranges of your current skills.

UnknownSaint on
  • CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good enough for me. :)
    I just want an easy way to tell if they are in range for my heals or not, preferably at the same place as the status of their HPs.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    HealGrid, then.

You have to set the name of your spells that it uses to check range with before it works though, read the description on Curse for info on that.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited September 2008
    So ever since I started scenarios for t2 again at 17 and up (19 now) on my Zealot it's just insanity as far as healing goes. Haven't been outhealed on Destruction side yet, and more often than not I'm around the middle of the herd as far as damage goes. The only damage I ever do is Demon Spittle on clustered up enemies, the morale drain and AoE heal, and my Willpower Mark DoT on artifact holders - I guess the Demon Spittle just adds up over time to a shitpile of enemies. I almost always get 1st experience on my side. I'm really enjoying the class in RvR, though it's a bit lackluster in solo PvE. (Grouping up with a Marauder and AoEing PQs easily is a quick solution though.)

So for anyone who wants an unmatched pure healer that can contribute more than just heals on Destruction side, go Zealot.

What's really annoying though is that the very first tactic for the Witchcraft tree (obtainable at level 17) is for a skill that you get at level 34. Kind of stupid, but eh.

UnknownSaint on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What's really annoying though is that the very first tactic for the Witchcraft tree (obtainable at level 17) is for a skill that you get at level 34. Kind of stupid, but eh.

Think of it this way: You don't have to get that tactic.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm thinking about making a healer for an alt but I remember the Zealot I played in closed beta and how horridly painful it was to level her. RvR was a blast, but everything else made me want to punch myself in the face.

How do yall deal with it?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have had great enjoyment with PBAE tanking for inf farming. With even con mobs I can pull 2-4, hot, shield, ae spam and it is pretty fun. If I get a group in a PQ it is even better. I was feeling the same way about the zealot until I found this out.

Kind of sucks though cause I see in the future having the need to carry PvE and PvP gear. PvE would prolly try to max int and toughness, with willpower a larger priority in Pvp. But that is all theory craft atm.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    risumon wrote: »
    I have had great enjoyment with PBAE tanking for inf farming. With even con mobs I can pull 2-4, hot, shield, ae spam and it is pretty fun. If I get a group in a PQ it is even better. I was feeling the same way about the zealot until I found this out.

Kind of sucks though cause I see in the future having the need to carry PvE and PvP gear. PvE would prolly try to max int and toughness, with willpower a larger priority in Pvp. But that is all theory craft atm.

I already do this on my SW.

I carry +ballistics gear for pvp, and +str/wounds for pve.

Since in pve i'm basically mdps. :P

Morkath on
    edited September 2008
    Elldren wrote: »

So why exactly does me pointing out a small instance of poor design warrant that kind of shitty reaction? Don't be a dick. At 40 I won't be complaining, as I will probably experiment with speccing Dark Rites and enough into Witchcraft to get this as it's quite strong, but I still think it would make a little more sense to switch this tactic with maybe the 2nd or 3rd in the tree, as both of those effect skills you get at levels that sync a bit more with what you have to work with at the time.

UnknownSaint on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Riale wrote: »
    I'm thinking about making a healer for an alt but I remember the Zealot I played in closed beta and how horridly painful it was to level her. RvR was a blast, but everything else made me want to punch myself in the face.

I do nothing but RvR.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Elldren wrote: »

So why exactly does me pointing out a small instance of poor design warrant that kind of shitty reaction? Don't be a dick. At 40 I won't be complaining, as I will probably experiment with speccing Dark Rites and enough into Witchcraft to get this as it's quite strong, but I still think it would make a little more sense to switch this tactic with maybe the 2nd or 3rd in the tree, as both of those effect skills you get at levels that sync a bit more with what you have to work with at the time.

Whoa buddy, no need to be so defensive. Laugh, because it's kinda funny in a sad way, which is what he was trying to convey.

Becoming on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited September 2008
    so I specced down Gork for the ranged aoe knockback. Hilarious results.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    Where are the damn renown gear vendors after T1? I can't get into Viper's Pit yet.

Echo on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Where are the damn renown gear vendors after T1? I can't get into Viper's Pit yet.

Yes please. I couldn't find the vendors, and went to Altdorf, and the vendors there weren't selling anything to me. I really hope I don't have to run all the way to the Troll Country War Camp.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Rosie And JimRosie And Jim Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey all, I was wondering how Archmage damage compares to Warrior Priest. I'm a WP right now but I need an alt to play whenever my buddy isn't available. So I was just wondering if I'd be taking a hit or an increase to my dps.

Rosie And Jim on
    And when the radio stars climbed up out of the floors to murder the medium that shot 'em 30 years before they said... Kill! Television! Kill! Television! Kill! Television!
    Armory XBL: ShaneJones004
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    renown gear vendors are in the keeps

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey all, I was wondering how Archmage damage compares to Warrior Priest. I'm a WP right now but I need an alt to play whenever my buddy isn't available. So I was just wondering if I'd be taking a hit or an increase to my dps.

Based on Shaman/DoK damages in scenarios, you'd be taking a hit to DPS.

If you're making an alt, why not try a different archetype?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Once you get your aoe, it becomes much easier. dot them all to pull, hot yourself, aoe dot, shield, spam aoe. Congrats you just killed 6 mobs. Doing 500 dmg per aoe as opposed to 100 dmg per single target instant is much better dps. =)

Single targets go a bit slower, after the pull I melee and cast instants only, but you will never be remotely close to losing any significant amount of life.

Then you get healing aggro from the champions that just spawned because you aoe tanked and completed the entire first stage of the PQ by yourself and subsequently get 2 shotted. Why is it I can tank 6 mobs at once but a single champion rapes me. I asked him to hit me but not with a knife. That's called stabbing.

intelnavi on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    intelnavi wrote: »

Once you get your aoe, it becomes much easier. dot them all to pull, hot yourself, aoe dot, shield, spam aoe. Congrats you just killed 6 mobs. Doing 500 dmg per aoe as opposed to 100 dmg per single target instant is much better dps. =)

Single targets go a bit slower, after the pull I melee and cast instants only, but you will never be remotely close to losing any significant amount of life.

Then you get healing aggro from the champions that just spawned because you aoe tanked and completed the entire first stage of the PQ by yourself and subsequently get 2 shotted. Why is it I can tank 6 mobs at once but a single champion rapes me. I asked him to hit me but not with a knife. That's called stabbing.

I don't get how you AoE grind

I hit mobs for like, 90dmg at level 19 with my aoe. It is awful. My AP runs out long before any mob is dead

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited September 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    renown gear vendors are in the keeps

Well that Troll Country Chapter 6 area is a keep I think, and I still saw no renown vendor.

Septus on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    every keep for your faction has renown vendors and renown trainers at the top of the keep

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited September 2008
    Neli wrote: »
    every keep for your faction has renown vendors and renown trainers at the top of the keep

Hmm, apparently I missed the stairs.

Septus on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I hit mobs for like, 90dmg at level 19 with my aoe. It is awful. My AP runs out long before any mob is dead

As a zealot, level 22, I lay down ritual of innervation, use the instant cast dot on all mobs I am pulling, then do the aoe dot, shield and hot myself, then spam the aoe and recast dots/heal as needed.

Ritual of innervation is the best thing ever, really.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I defected over the weekend, not only away from Rune Priest, but to Destruction :P Started up a DoK as an alt and realized it was "omgwtfawesome" and decided to switch mains. Already back up to the level I had my RP at and feel much more "beefy" in scenarios. I can (and do) still heal quite well, but I am also a real through offensively. People don't like to see me coming at them, especially squishies, as I can and will put down a squishy caster pretty quickly.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jpeg wrote: »

As a zealot, level 22, I lay down ritual of innervation, use the instant cast dot on all mobs I am pulling, then do the aoe dot, shield and hot myself, then spam the aoe and recast dots/heal as needed.

Ritual of innervation is the best thing ever, really.

The two dots are pretty important. I dunno why your aoe hits for so low, mine i'm pretty sure hits for that now and I'm lvl 11. You might try more int? Also its awesome when you can give people in your group the aoe dot as well. I feel like a fucking shadowpriest aoe farming warlock.

intelnavi on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dunno why your aoe hits for so low, mine i'm pretty sure hits for that now and I'm lvl 11. You might try more int?
    I have two friends playing healers, one a Shaman and the other a Zealot. There was much griping in T2 about how painfully slow they were at killing stuff, how questing was such a drag now, etc. They spent some time building +Int suits, and things are better now. They're still jealous of my redonckulously high single target DPS, but solo questing no longer causes them to debate the merits of gouging out their own eyes. I still try to help them out as much as possible because it's always a good idea to butter up your healers. I die like a chump in RvR without heals. D:

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I dunno why your aoe hits for so low, mine i'm pretty sure hits for that now and I'm lvl 11. You might try more int?
    I have two friends playing healers, one a Shaman and the other a Zealot. There was much griping in T2 about how painfully slow they were at killing stuff, how questing was such a drag now, etc. They spent some time building +Int suits, and things are better now. They're still jealous of my redonckulously high single target DPS, but solo questing no longer causes them to debate the merits of gouging out their own eyes. I still try to help them out as much as possible because it's always a good idea to butter up your healers. I die like a chump in RvR without heals. D:

It's funny, RP's being terrible at questing (without special int sets, as you say), is one of the main things that pushed me to roll my DoK (and eventually brought me to defect to destruction).

On my DoK, I can solo even level champs if I am on my game. As my RP, I was lucky to solo even level normals in Barak Var. I am sure an int set would have helped, but it just didn't feel right. I also got tired of feeling like fodder in RvR. Sure, I was a great healer, but I was generally dead in 25 seconds unless no one noticed me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Robothero:

You may know the answer to this, do you know if they intend on fixing the zealot three-piece devestator set bonus? Currently the 5% heal crit on it doesn't seem to function, and that made me go >:[

Ryokaze on
    edited September 2008
    No, they never plan on fixing it ever.

[/sarcasm]

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    Well, I guess I'll go ahead and hope for before "sorcs get int bonuses instead of willpower bonuses" and after "rooted for no reason in the @#%!# lava again" on that particular fix then ;)

Ryokaze on
    edited September 2008
    I don't really know what stats to focus on for my DoK.

'kay, Strength increases most attack abilities. What about Rend Soul? Does Str increase the damage part, thus increasing the healing part? Does Willpower increase the healing part, or is that just based on the damage part? Confusing.

Echo on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Strength does indeed increase the healing on Rend Soul, because it is damage based, not willpower based.

They have two Damage based heals, Consume Essance and Rend Soul, and everything else is Willpower based.

Ideally, a balance of Strength and Willpower would be ideal, However DoK gear right now is all over the goddamn place stat wise.

For PvP Wounds, maybe a bit of Toughness go a long way in your survavability, so, you might want to make a sort of Wounds/Toughness/Willpower stat if your playing by yourself in Scenarios.

Also this game needs a doll system/Item Rack system desperatley

Transporter on
    edited September 2008
    weapon skill imo.

Unknown User on
    edited September 2008
    According to the influence rewards I've been getting, zealots and sorcerors should be desperately shooting for weapon skill as well.

Must just be that good.

Ryokaze on