As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Banned Books Week. Go Read One To Spite Sarah.

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
bannedbooks.jpg

Yes, folks, it's that time of year that we remember that there are people out there who think to tell us what we can and can't read.

It's especially important this year because one of those people just happens to be running for the Vice Presidency. And it seems that the book she was opposed to was one with a message of tolerance.

This is one of the most important freedoms that we have. The freedom of speech isn't just about the creator being able to speak freely, but also about his audience being able to partake. Those who advocate censorship are those who fear a free marketplace of ideas, because they know their ideas cannot gain traction, and thus must attack the competition to have any hope of succeeding. Those people must be shown that to do so is unacceptable and un-American.

So go read a banned book, and give Sarah the finger.

Edit: For those interested, here are the ten most challenged books (thankfully, thanks to the resolve of librarians, few challenges succeed.)
  1. “And Tango Makes Three,” by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell
    Reasons: Anti-Ethnic, Sexism, Homosexuality, Anti-Family, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group
  2. The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier
    Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Violence
  3. “Olive’s Ocean,” by Kevin Henkes
    Reasons: Sexually Explicit and Offensive Language
  4. “The Golden Compass,” by Philip Pullman
    Reasons: Religious Viewpoint
  5. “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” by Mark Twain
    Reasons: Racism
  6. “The Color Purple,” by Alice Walker
    Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language,
  7. “TTYL,” by Lauren Myracle
    Reasons: Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group
  8. “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” by Maya Angelou
    Reasons: Sexually Explicit
  9. “It’s Perfectly Normal,” by Robie Harris
    Reasons: Sex Education, Sexually Explicit
  10. “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
    Reasons: Homosexuality, Sexually Explicit, Offensive Language, Unsuited to Age Group

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Maya Angelou? Seriously? I never actually paid much attention to the actual lists, beyond hearing Twain's work used as an example.

Unsuited to Age Group tickles me for some reason.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I read both Palin articles, there is no evidence in them that she intended to or attempted to ban any books. The first article acknowledges that there is no such evidence, the second just seems to indicate that some old guy "knew" she wanted his book banned even though there is no record of anything to that effect.

EDIT: Anyway, to the larger issue at hand, it seems that sexually explicit material available to children is the issue here. Should Playboy be in public schools too?

Yar on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    She wrote a letter to the librarian saying, "hey, how would I go about banning a book? Just out of.. curiosity."

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited September 2008
    She asked her her stance on censorship and she said no and that was that.

Yar on
  • HilgerHilger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    She wrote a letter to the librarian saying, "hey, how would I go about banning a book? Just out of.. curiosity."
    It's like if I asked someone how to make a pipe bomb, or how to get into the Oval Office.

I mean, I'm not implying I'm gonna make a pipe bomb or that I want to kill the President.

I just...wanna know how.

Hilger on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yar wrote: »

Didn't she try to can her but the town backlashed against Palin or something?

I remember that rumor flying around.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited September 2008
    That seemed to be unrelated to the censorship thing. Apparently Palin tried to fire everyone. She probably wanted to replace her with a neighbor or something.

Yar on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Golden Compass wasn't given any attention until after the film. And compared to the third book it doesn't even have any anti-religious sentiment in it other than "The Church is the bad guys" which isn't exactly original for fantasy.

DarkPrimus on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

So, you interested in a bridge? I can sell it to you cheap.

Seriously, when you look at the shit she pulled, just saying "no" when asked about censorship isn't enough.

AngelHedgie on
    edited September 2008
    That seemed to be unrelated to the censorship thing. Apparently Palin tried to fire everyone. She probably wanted to replace her with a neighbor or something.

That's...not better.

Kagera on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I must have missed something when reading Of Mice and Men. Why does it get challenged so often?

Burnage on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    She asked her her stance on censorship and then tried to have the librarian fired for not supporting her administration .
    WASILLA -- Back in 1996, when she first became mayor, Sarah Palin asked the city librarian if she would be all right with censoring library books should she be asked to do so.

According to news coverage at the time, the librarian said she would definitely not be all right with it. A few months later, the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, got a letter from Palin telling her she was going to be fired. The censorship issue was not mentioned as a reason for the firing. The letter just said the new mayor felt Emmons didn't fully support her and had to go.

Emmons had been city librarian for seven years and was well liked. After a wave of public support for her, Palin relented and let Emmons keep her job.

In December 1996, Emmons told her hometown newspaper, the Frontiersman, that Palin three times asked her -- starting before she was sworn in -- about possibly removing objectionable books from the library if the need arose.

Emmons told the Frontiersman she flatly refused to consider any kind of censorship. Emmons, now Mary Ellen Baker, is on vacation from her current job in Fairbanks and did not return e-mail or telephone messages left for her Wednesday.

When the matter came up for the second time in October 1996, during a City Council meeting, Anne Kilkenny, a Wasilla housewife who often attends council meetings, was there.

Like many Alaskans, Kilkenny calls the governor by her first name.

"Sarah said to Mary Ellen, 'What would your response be if I asked you to remove some books from the collection?" Kilkenny said.

"I was shocked. Mary Ellen sat up straight and said something along the line of, 'The books in the Wasilla Library collection were selected on the basis of national selection criteria for libraries of this size, and I would absolutely resist all efforts to ban books.'"

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited September 2008

Seriously, when you look at the shit she pulled, just saying "no" when asked about censorship isn't enough.
    Just so we're clear: you just know she wanted to ban some books, and the total lack of evidence only makes me naive to your truth.

Yar on
    edited September 2008
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think I must have missed something when reading Of Mice and Men. Why does it get challenged so often?

Support for killing mentally handicapped people?

Kagera on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Just so we're clear: you just know she wanted to ban some books, and the total lack of evidence only makes me naive to your truth.

There isn't really a lack of evidence. Just look for it.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Along with the related nugget of euthanasia (of any kind) I believe.

Leitner on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's hardly support (er... if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I read it), but point taken.

Found a page on the ALA here which actually gives reasons for various books getting banned. It's almost depressing that it looks like OMAM gets banned more often for vulgar language than anything else.

Burnage on
    edited September 2008

It's hardly support (er... if I remember correctly, it's been a while since I read it), but point taken.

I agree, but certain groups could be more sensitive to the ending than others, and find it offensive from their prospective.

Kagera on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    EDIT: Anyway, to the larger issue at hand, it seems that sexually explicit material available to children is the issue here. Should Playboy be in public schools too?

There's a wee bit of a difference between public schools and public libraries.

There's also the issue of who, exactly, gets to define what's "sexually explicit", especially when dealing with YA books.

And finally, if you're so worked up about "sexually explicit" books being available to children, why not set up an effective way to restrict access to that material based on age, rather than removing it from the shelves entirely?

Lawndart on
    edited September 2008

You don't just ask "How do I ban a book" because you're curious. Then there's her background, most notably that she belongs to a church known for actually having book burnings. And there's the fact that she dismissed said librarian that stood up to her (though to be fair, that may just be part of her not liking anyone who opposes her.)

Seriously, if you're not seeing the evidence that she would have banned books if she thought she would get away with it, you've got the blinders on tight.

AngelHedgie on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We're any of those books actually banned or just challenged?

Tav on
    edited September 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    We're any of those books actually banned or just challenged?

The list in the OP is most challenged. The ALA is pretty resolute on opposing bannings, so it takes a LOT to get one through. Most advocates of bannings don't have the hard support needed to make it stick.

AngelHedgie on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The one book perennially on this list that confuses me is Huck Finn. The kind of people that get their panties in a bunch about banning books doesn't seem like it would overlap much with the group of people that are bothered by racism.

werehippy on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    The one book on perennially on this list that confuses me is Huck Finn. The kind of people that get their panties in a bunch about banning books doesn't seem like it would overlap much with the group of people that are bothered by racism.

Truth.

TL DR on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    People have wanted to ban Huck Finn since it was written. It's hilarious.

Nartwak on
    edited September 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    She asked her her stance on censorship and then tried to have the librarian fired for not supporting her administration .
    WASILLA -- Back in 1996, when she first became mayor, Sarah Palin asked the city librarian if she would be all right with censoring library books should she be asked to do so.

According to news coverage at the time, the librarian said she would definitely not be all right with it. A few months later, the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, got a letter from Palin telling her she was going to be fired. The censorship issue was not mentioned as a reason for the firing. The letter just said the new mayor felt Emmons didn't fully support her and had to go.

Emmons had been city librarian for seven years and was well liked. After a wave of public support for her, Palin relented and let Emmons keep her job.

In December 1996, Emmons told her hometown newspaper, the Frontiersman, that Palin three times asked her -- starting before she was sworn in -- about possibly removing objectionable books from the library if the need arose.

Emmons told the Frontiersman she flatly refused to consider any kind of censorship. Emmons, now Mary Ellen Baker, is on vacation from her current job in Fairbanks and did not return e-mail or telephone messages left for her Wednesday.

When the matter came up for the second time in October 1996, during a City Council meeting, Anne Kilkenny, a Wasilla housewife who often attends council meetings, was there.

"Sarah said to Mary Ellen, 'What would your response be if I asked you to remove some books from the collection?" Kilkenny said.

"I was shocked. Mary Ellen sat up straight and said something along the line of, 'The books in the Wasilla Library collection were selected on the basis of national selection criteria for libraries of this size, and I would absolutely resist all efforts to ban books.'"
    The Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman posted on the internet its original December 18, 1996, coverage September 6 “to accommodate numerous requests for the story from media worldwide and curious individuals,” with a caveat to readers: “Please note that not at any time were any books ever banned from the Wasilla city library.” Bloggers then began asking for a list of books that Palin wanted banned. A bogus list soon surfaced on the internet but it included books not yet published in 1996, and has been discredited at snopes.com and elsewhere.

Also, she asked a ton of officials to resign. The article makes a dubious link between a phone call and a letter months later.

Yar on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A few years ago, the Pennsylvania state chapter of the NAACP tried to get Huck Finn pulled from school curricula because they didn't think that kids should be exposed to so many uses of the n-word.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    A few years ago, the Pennsylvania state chapter of the NAACP tried to get Huck Finn pulled from school curricula because they didn't think that kids should be exposed to so many uses of the n-word.

I want to say that's just stupid, but that's my reaction to pretty much all attempts to ban books.

werehippy on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I particularly love "religious viewpoint." Because seeing things from a different point of view is intolerable.

PolloDiablo on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

I want to say that's just stupid, but that's my reaction to pretty much all attempts to ban books.

Well, I don't like the conflation of four different acts under the single umbrella of "banning." There's the government banning a book from private citizens, then there's the forced removal of a book from public libraries, then there's the forced removal of a book from public school libraries, and then there's the removal of a book from school curricula. The first two are clearly censorship, the third might be censorship, but the fourth really isn't. Not all books are equally appropriate for kids; I think that statement is uncontroversial (although I think Huck Finn is perfectly fine for middle school and above). The NAACP made the argument that kids don't have the maturity to deal with the way racism is portrayed in Huck Finn and became afraid that if kids were exposed to the n-word in school, by a teacher, they may feel that it's okay to use that word in casual parlance.

I don't agree with the argument, as I don't see Huck Finn as being particularly complex, but I don't think the argument is beyond the pale, and I don't think it's fair to refer to an attempt to remove a book from school curricula as "banning."

Now, if my memory is off and the NAACP tried to get it removed from a public library, well fuck them right in the ass. I just think that the criteria for having a book in a library is and should be different from the criteria for teaching a book at any given grade level of school.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Should Playboy be in public schools too?

Schools? No. Libraries? It should be considered on its merits, ignoring the supposedly objectionable content. So if other periodicals with similar readership are in, then yes.

I don't see why this would even be that big of a deal. Playboy is sold out of sidewalk newspaper stands and in airport terminals across the United States.

Matrijs on
  • DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    god, there are so many stupid theories about Huck Finn it is ridiculous. And Perks of Being a Wallflower under attack? I read that and it was hilarious to me (with some sad scenes otherwise).

I am so tired of Sarah Palin. Now the main reason why I don't want the (R)s elected is because I don't want all this stupid shit in the media for 4 years. Also the whole entire world laughing at us.

Doxa on
    edited September 2008
    But kids might see breasts, BREASTS!

Kagera on
    edited September 2008
    Matrijs wrote: »
    Should Playboy be in public schools too?

Schools? No. Libraries? It should be considered on its merits, ignoring the supposedly objectionable content. So if other periodicals with similar readership are in, then yes.

Playboy is actually a good example.

Playboy in particular is a major journalistic publication in addition to the soft-core nakedness. I know it's a cliche to say "I read it for the articles," but Playboy does have substantial articles. Their interviews with celebrities and politicians can be an important source for all kinds of research. I occasionally cited Playboy in college when I'd write a paper tracking one social trend or another.

Losing that historical record because a child might see a woman's bare pelvis is the height of insanity. It might not belong in schools, but it definitely belongs in libraries.

Feral on

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    PantsB wrote: »

The Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman posted on the internet its original December 18, 1996, coverage September 6 “to accommodate numerous requests for the story from media worldwide and curious individuals,” with a caveat to readers: “Please note that not at any time were any books ever banned from the Wasilla city library.” Bloggers then began asking for a list of books that Palin wanted banned. A bogus list soon surfaced on the internet but it included books not yet published in 1996, and has been discredited at snopes.com and elsewhere.

Also, she asked a ton of officials to resign. The article makes a dubious link between a phone call and a letter months later.
    The question regarded wanting to ban books not successfully banning books and you must have missed the three times above

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited September 2008

Well, I don't like the conflation of four different acts under the single umbrella of "banning." There's the government banning a book from private citizens, then there's the forced removal of a book from public libraries, then there's the forced removal of a book from public school libraries, and then there's the removal of a book from school curricula. The first two are clearly censorship, the third might be censorship, but the fourth really isn't.

<supporting details>

Hence my use of the waffle "pretty much." I think baring pretty gross mismatches in age/material attempts to somehow shield children are on the face of it idiotic, though I'll allow there's certainly more room for debate there than with other types of book banning.

werehippy on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The one book on perennially on this list that confuses me is Huck Finn. The kind of people that get their panties in a bunch about banning books doesn't seem like it would overlap much with the group of people that are bothered by racism.

Truth.
    Well, you have the reactionary Left, the PC alarmists; and the reactionary Right, those morons who think their religion (and, by extension, the American Family) is under attack by the evil forces of secularism. My grandpa used to say, if two people go far enough to the left and right, they'll always meet at the back.

Azio on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Harry Potter's not on this list? Pfft.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I read both Palin articles, there is no evidence in them that she intended to or attempted to ban any books. The first article acknowledges that there is no such evidence, the second just seems to indicate that some old guy "knew" she wanted his book banned even though there is no record of anything to that effect.

Are you comparing the likes of Kurt Vonnegut to playboy?

SkyGheNe on
    edited September 2008
    Hence my use of the waffle "pretty much." I think baring pretty gross mismatches in age/material attempts to somehow shield children are on the face of it idiotic, though I'll allow there's certainly more room for debate there than with other types of book banning.

Yeah. The other thing is that books taught in schools were picked by people who, well, have degrees in education. They generally have a pretty good idea of what's appropriate for what age group. So when concerned parents or clergy or pundits throw a fit, they usually clearly have no clue what the hell they're talking about.

The Color Purple may have been a bad idea for my sophomore/junior summer reading list, though. A number of students in my class demonstrated that they weren't mature enough to handle it.

Feral on