As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Somewhere, Beyond the Sea. Somewhere, waiting for me.

ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
My lover stands on golden sands,
And watches the ships that go sailing.

ngok.png

Set in an alternate history 1960, the game places the player in the role of a plane crash survivor named Jack, who must explore the underwater dystopian city of Rapture, and survive attacks by the mutated beings and mechanical drones that populate it. The game incorporates elements found in role-playing and survival horror games, and is described by the developers and Levine as a "spiritual successor" to their previous titles in the System Shock series.

BioShock is set during 1960, in Rapture, a fictional underwater dystopian city.[27] The history of Rapture is learned by the player through audio recordings as they explore the city. Secretly built in 1946 on the mid-Atlantic seabed, Rapture was entirely self-sufficient and powered by submarine volcanoes. Constructed by business magnate Andrew Ryan, Rapture was envisioned as the solution to what he saw as increasingly oppressive political, economical, and religious authority. The city was populated by those whom Ryan believed exemplified the best in humanity. It was revealed in an audio log that Ryan wanted Rapture to become an "Eden", a concept furthered by the resources ADAM and EVE, which are named after the biblical inhabitants of Eden. During the early 1950s, Rapture's population peaked at several thousand, though an elite emerged, discomforting many of the inhabitants.

Rapture is a great place though.

They have parties!
masq.jpg

Great Deals!
plas.jpg

Reliable Transportation System!
bathysphere.jpg

A strict code of conduct!
confrontation3.jpg

That is not to be challenged!
gt.jpg

Nope!
smuggler.jpg

So this is easily one of my favorite games... ever. And it's coming out on the PS3 on October 21st. So I figured I'd make a thread for people who have already played the game to talk about it again, and those who haven't (and possibly will play in October) to come and see what's up. So please mark your spoilers.

QcGKhPm.jpg
ShimSham on

• scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I hope the added difficulty mode comes out as a download for the PC version.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bought day 1 along with LBP. And then a week later, it's Fallout 3. And then two weeks after that it's Mirror's Edge >.< Glorious.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Bought day 1 along with LBP. And then a week later, it's Fallout 3. And then two weeks after that it's Mirror's Edge >.< Glorious.

If your wallet needs some help, you can probably beat Bioshock in a rental's worth of time, and buy it later if you really really like it.

I loved it up until the last act.

Speed Racer on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This was my favorite game last year. Had an amazing atmosphere

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I had fun with it, though I can proudly(or sissily?) say I don't even know what it looks like when you harvest the ADAM from a little sister.

Xtarath on
    edited September 2008

If your wallet needs some help, you can probably beat Bioshock in a rental's worth of time, and buy it later if you really really like it.

I loved it up until the last act.

I dunno... I was so pumped for this game, when I heard it was coming to PS3 I went out and bought a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. And I read it. 1168 pages of heavy-handed objectivist philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed most of it - aside from the 70-page monologue which took me about a week and a half of bathroom breaks to muddle through - but the point is this:

I am so dedicated to buying and enjoying Bioshock, I went out and read fucking Atlas Shrugged because a reviewer said something akin to "you get more enjoyment out of Bioshock if you're familiar with Atlas Shrugged."

My wallet does need help. I'd love to get my hands on Dead Space, and I'm having trouble deciding between Fallout 3 and Mirror's Egde... but I'll be buyin' Bioshock. Have no doubt of that!

Chance on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I almost did that!

But then I just looked up Objectivism on Wikipedia.

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2008
    I almost did that!

But then I just looked up Objectivism on Wikipedia.

Fucking cheater. Lolz.

...just had to do things the fast way, didn't we Speed Racer?

Chance on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, I was dumb enough to read that shit back in high school. The whole thing. Worst ending ever.

However, I must say, it did make Bioshock a bit richer when I played it last year.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Good game, but overhyped to high hell and back. About a hour and a half too long for its own good, once the narative goes to shit, the core gameplay wasn't strong enough to support the last level or two

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Man, I was dumb enough to read that shit back in high school. The whole thing. Worst ending ever.

However, I must say, it did make Bioshock a bit richer when I played it last year.

Wewt.

Chance on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »
    Good game, but overhyped to high hell and back. About a hour and a half too long for its own good, once the narative goes to shit, the core gameplay wasn't strong enough to support the last level or two

A billion times THIS.

And honestly, they could've cut five-ish hours out of the game without any damage to the central narrative. All the fetch quests and the entire last 1/3rd of the game were so painful compared to the rest of it. And the enemies were boring as all hell, and got much more boring later (Same AI/weapons/etc, more HP... *yawn*).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I haven't played this. Should I get if for my 360 or PC?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited September 2008

FPS + Mouse and Keyboard = yes.

...if you can run it.

Chance on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Wewt.

Yeah? I read the Fountainhead in middle school. Well, 8th grade. I didn't finish it until 9th grade. Then I read Far East of Eden by John Steinbeck. To this day I have no idea how I mustered up the patience for those books when I couldn't even pass basic algebra.

Food on
    edited September 2008
    Food wrote: »

Wewt.

Yeah? I read the Fountainhead in middle school. Well, 8th grade. I didn't finish it until 9th grade. Then I read Far East of Eden by John Steinbeck. To this day I have no idea how I mustered up the patience for those books when I couldn't even pass basic algebra.

That's some cruel and unusual shit.

Chance on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fucking loved this on 360, and I will love it again on PS3.

Hey guys...it has Trophies!

It was also the only game I got 1000/1000 Gamerscore on, so it'll likely be the first game I get a Platinum Trophy on as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree that the game was a little too long for the amount of content contained within (really could have used a few more enemy types), but until it started to get repetitive, it was one of the greatest games I had ever played.

RainbowDespair on
  • darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was just thinking yesterday when I was reading the preperation secret santa thread, "I would love to give someone my bioshock collectors edition + big daddy figurine to someone who has wanted to play the game but hasnt yet". I still want to :D

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

If you can run it, $20 on steam is an absolute steal

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

If you can run it, $20 on steam is an absolute steal

It's 55$ over here :x

Impersonator on
    edited September 2008
    I actually thought Bioshock played a bit better with the 360 controller

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I played on 360 controller on my PC.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    scootch wrote: »

Blasphemy.

Impersonator on
    edited September 2008
    scootch wrote: »

hi5 so did I and I thought it played better that way

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    An amazing game, of course. Except the very end. But it still had the atmosphere throughout, and I'd say that is easily the best part of the game.

As for Ayn Rand - she is a terrible, terrible author. I say that having read all of her fiction (and part of a philosophy book). She certainly had big ideas, but all of her stories were thinly veiled diatribes on how much everybody except her sucked. I'm quite embarassed to admit I actually liked her for a period.

ANYWAY. You in no way need to need to read any of Rand's stuff to enjoy Bioshock. In fact, I recommend against it.

Graviija on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Soooo excited for this. I have been told that there is an extra area of the game that wasn't put into the original that has been added to the PS3 version. Truth?

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now. It's very well written but extremely heavy-handed. I don't think I have to believe in her philosophies to enjoy the story though.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Soooo excited for this. I have been told that there is an extra area of the game that wasn't put into the original that has been added to the PS3 version. Truth?

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now. It's very well written but extremely heavy-handed. I don't think I have to believe in her philosophies to enjoy the story though.

I'm not sure about that, but looking over the Trophies list, there is a new higher difficulty.

UnbreakableVow on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    An amazing game, of course. Except the very end. But it still had the atmosphere throughout, and I'd say that is easily the best part of the game.

As for Ayn Rand - she is a terrible, terrible author. I say that having read all of her fiction (and part of a philosophy book). She certainly had big ideas, but all of her stories were thinly veiled diatribes on how much everybody except her sucked. I'm quite embarassed to admit I actually liked her for a period.

ANYWAY. You in no way need to need to read any of Rand's stuff to enjoy Bioshock. In fact, I recommend against it.

Wait just one second thar. One of Ayn Rand's short stories was the basis for 2112. 2112 man.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ftrftr Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure if I should get this. My PC had a slight heart attack when I asked it to play it, and I'm not too keen on console FPSs. Also, I'm not a big fan of the 50's vibe...

But still... a lot of positive things said about it. I would be missing out, no doubt.

ftr on
    PSN: ftr2k8
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
    edited September 2008
    El Extremo wrote: »

Wait just one second thar. One of Ayn Rand's short stories was the basis for 2112. 2112 man.

Sorry for double post >_<

God I love 2112! Anthem is quite a good book, but it has room for improvement. It's the only Rand book I've read though.

ftr on
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
    edited September 2008
    You really would be missing out it's a fantastic game and you should at least rent it if you have a 360 or PS3

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited September 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »

You certainly don't. They're only relevant because the bad guy believes in them.

Speed Racer on
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Amazing game, but 3 problems stuck out to me:

1) Cutscenes are letterboxed. Completely threw me out of the experience and ruins the semi-nonlinear feel.

2) The final boss. After creating such a realistic atmosphere, it's a shame that the final boss feels like a generic video game boss.

3)
    I felt that the 'good' ending was just too 'good'. Yes, I saved the little sisters, but I did so because I knew it would benefit me later, not because I just love the little squirts. I ruthlessly beat the shit out of anyone that I passed by in Rapture, and occasionally bashed up the corpse. I am not exactly the angel that the game thinks me to be.

Still, one of the best experiences around in modern gaming. Just a couple of tweaks could have made it so much better.

Mr Peepers on
    edited September 2008
    Mr Peepers wrote: »

1) Cutscenes are letterboxed. Completely threw me out of the experience and ruins the semi-nonlinear feel.

2) The final boss. After creating such a realistic atmosphere, it's a shame that the final boss feels like a generic video game boss.

3)
    I felt that the 'good' ending was just too 'good'. Yes, I saved the little sisters, but I did so because I knew it would benefit me later, not because I just love the little squirts. I ruthlessly beat the shit out of anyone that I passed by in Rapture, and occasionally bashed up the corpse. I am not exactly the angel that the game thinks me to be.

Still, one of the best experiences around in modern gaming. Just a couple of tweaks could have made it so much better.

So you don't think you deserved the good ending because you killed mutants that were trying to kill you? Doesn't really seem like that much of a problem.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited September 2008

3)

On the other hand, the bad ending is too bad. I'm a dude that's been thrown into a fucked up situation and the only dude that doesn't seem totally batshit bonkers is telling me that I need to kill these little monster-girls to survive. I'm probably going to listen to him, and I don't think that makes me a bad person.

There should've been a middle ending for if you GIANT FUCKING MEGA SPOILERS DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF SO MUCH
    killed little sisters until you found out about Fontaine, and afterwards saved them.

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2008

3)

So you don't think you deserved the good ending because you killed mutants that were trying to kill you? Doesn't really seem like that much of a problem.

He also violated and mutilated them just for kicks.

ftr on
    PC PS3 PS2 DS PSP.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The only reason anyone should ever, ever, read Atlas Shrugged is so they can make fun of Ayn Rand and objectivism without people going "you didn't even read it did you"

And even then, it's not really worth it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    El Extremo wrote: »

Be that as it may (I do actually like 2112), Rand was way too outspoken for my tastes. My disliking her may have more to do with being continually exposed to better, more realistic writers (I'm an English major).

Again, ANYWAY. I may have to get the PS3 version at some point down the line, since my 360 is dead.

Graviija on
  • Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Some of them you could avoid, turn against each other, freeze and ditch, etc.

And I'm thinking you'd have to be a pretty fucked up individual to be able to get through Rapture.

Mr Peepers on