As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RSS feed reader thingie (Help)

burntheladleburntheladle Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to set up an RSS feed reader thing... I'm a bit lost, I'm new to this whole rss thing and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing.

Basically, what I want to be able to do is read updates from multiple feeds in the same page, without having to click on an individual feed and only see those updates. So far, I've tried google reader and bloglines, and they both seem to force you to read one feed at a time. Google reader did let me see multiple feeds, but only after I'd clicked on all the feeds and gone "mark all as read". I don't want to have to do this, if I can avoid it.

I would prefer something online but I'm not adverse to downloading/installing something as long as it will let me do what I want. If it also allows "starring" of updates and turning starred updates into pdfs, that would be a fantastic bonus...

While I'm at it, I'd also like the frame that actually displays the updates to take up most of the screen.

What should I be using? Please educate me...

What would Zombie Pirate LeChuck Do?
burntheladle on

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Google reader did let me see multiple feeds, but only after I'd clicked on all the feeds and gone "mark all as read". I don't want to have to do this, if I can avoid it.

I'm not sure why this is happening. If you click on "All items" in the sidebar, you can see all the items from the feeds you've subscribed to. You can also assign labels to feeds so that you can view only certain feeds at one time.

EDIT: A couple of things I'd recommend doing - change the setting from "all items" to "# new items" and click on the "View settings..." menu and switch to "Sort by oldest". I generally find this makes it easier to read stuff since it isn't out of order.

Cyvros on