As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]elaide United

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    But what stops you from saving 51 survivors anyway? Why do you have to get a medal for it?

And okay, I do get bonus levels, that's a reward in the form of *more* entertainment and not just another line on some Profile page.
    Survivors are a bitch to save. By giving you a medal, you may do it instead of saying "Fuck them" and flipping out on them with a chainsaw.

Sooooo you're doing something boring and uninteresting just because you get a medal for it?

Aldo on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    But what stops you from saving 51 survivors anyway? Why do you have to get a medal for it?

And okay, I do get bonus levels, that's a reward in the form of *more* entertainment and not just another line on some Profile page.

Honestly, this kind of attitude is nonsense and I think you're an idiot for it. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you don't "get" achievements, that's fine. But a challenge is a challenge. The medal is unimportant. It so happens that Dead Rising offers 50 challenges above the main thrust of the game. Why does it matter that this is labeled as "Achievement" and rewards you for accomplishing the challenge? How does rewarding you with a medal or points or whatever somehow invalidate the inclusion of the challenge, as you seem to suggest? People in G&T put forth this kind of attitude all the time and it is exceptionally retarded. You make it sound like you're personally insulted that they would dare reward you with an Achievement label for accomplishing something above and beyond what the main game requires. Let me just say that you are absolutely wrong and that the Achievements/extra challenges/whatever-you-want-to-call-them in Dead Rising elevate the game quite a bit.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Survivors are a bitch to save. By giving you a medal, you may do it instead of saying "Fuck them" and flipping out on them with a chainsaw.

Sooooo you're doing something boring and uninteresting just because you get a medal for it?

No, you're doing something challenging because it's a challenge.

It's okay if you are fundamentally retarded on the aspect of challenge, but maybe you should go argue this point in a thread with other people as incapable of comprehension as you are.

Drez on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hahaha, Alien Seige is seriously the dumbest movie ever. In what whacky version of our world would the US not just send 800,000 inmates to be murdered? The US barely considers prisoners still human in the first place.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I often challenge myself in games, most notable in Fire Emblem where no one is supposed to die or WoW where I often tried to top impossible mountains just for the fuck of it. I don't expect rewards, especially if they are as meaningless as just an extra line in your profile.

At least you get better weapons for doing impossible stuff in TF2.

*edit: what I'm saying is: I don't want the game to tell me "hey, maybe you should do this totally awesome move..." I want to be creative myself and come up with the whole thing myself.

Aldo on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No matter how dumb you may think a particular movie is, Komodo vs Cobra is dumber.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Achievements give the OCD people something else to do.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

It's not boring. In fact, it's quite fun. It's just a pain in the ass.

Achievments are really more like unlocking cheats in Goldeneye, really.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's not boring. In fact, it's quite fun. It's just a pain in the ass.

Achievments are really more like unlocking cheats in Goldeneye, really.
    Ah, it's FUN!

That's a good reason: fun.

and no im not being sarcastic here.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I often challenge myself in games, most notable in Fire Emblem where no one is supposed to die or WoW where I often tried to top impossible mountains just for the fuck of it. I don't expect rewards, especially if they are as meaningless as just an extra line in your profile.

That's fine that you don't expect rewards.

But don't sit here acting like you're better than people who accept developer-given challenges simply because they DO offer some kind of reward.

I am late for work. If I had time I could specify exactly why your position is wholly without merit in great detail. And it's a G&Tism. Let's try not to poison D&D with this kind of rubbish please.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    No matter how dumb you may think a particular movie is, Komodo vs Cobra is dumber.
    That pretty much goes without saying. Fortunately this is pure curiosity - now I have True Blood and Sarah Connor Chronicles to watch instead of this heinous crap.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

Bzzt.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »

Bzzt.

Too tame! I was hoping for something more... meaty than just "bzzt".

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

But don't sit here acting like you're better than people who accept developer-given challenges simply because they DO offer some kind of reward.

I am late for work. If I had time I could specify exactly why your position is wholly without merit in great detail. And it's a G&Tism. Let's try not to poison D&D with this kind of rubbish please.

That's just is: there is no reward. WAR offers you a fancy feather to stick on your head, most other games just chalk it down on your profile page and that's it. If a game is just going to spoil the creative things you can do they should at least offer some sort of reward that would lead to more entertainment.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    bah, got into work an hour early and they aren't even ready for me to do my thing yet. bastards

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey drez, take the piss out of your cheerios before you eat them.

also, hey [chat]

edit: Hi5 Dyna, same boat here

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If a game is just going to spoil the creative things you can do they should at least offer some sort of reward that would lead to more entertainment.

If you honestly don't care about achievements then why does it bother you that they exist? Just ignore that they're there. I fail to see how mentioning that you've done something can spoil the actual doing of it.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm a fan of achievements, but not achievement whores.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    evilbob wrote: »
    If a game is just going to spoil the creative things you can do they should at least offer some sort of reward that would lead to more entertainment.

If you honestly don't care about achievements then why does it bother you that they exist? Just ignore that they're there. I fail to see how mentioning that you've done something can spoil the actual doing of it.

Because they're often explained to you in detail. Not always, I admit and then i don't care.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay so going to campus and getting breakfast takes waaaaaaay too long.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cursive - Into The Fold
    The Sheperd: I can't say I've always been honest;
    you can't say I've done a disservice.
    The girl, she's just a child.
    She's got a lot to learn, and I'm helping out.

Your deceit is under your wing, you won't let her go
    You know it's not appropriate-but all that hair...and porcelain.
    You swear it's more than mere lust.
    Into the fold.
    If she knew what you do, the pristine routine to fool the rube.
    The gentle gentleman, the loathed Lothario.
    You feign you've changed your ways, but we know, yeah we know.
    Can't you quell this need for submissives?

The Sheperd: Oh such lovely girls.
    To lead each tender little lamb into the fold.
    And you, my pet, "The Sweetest Yet"
    I'll hold you closest to my heart
    Into the fold

The Lamb: I was in the student union studying for an English quiz;
    He came up and asked directions to the new auditorium.
    We walked up and down the campus,
    No one had ever heard of it.
    He was so embarrassed when he realized he had the wrong college,
    He offered to buy us coffee for the time and effort wasted.
    We drank and talked for so long,
    We started making plans for dinner...

The Sheperd: She was young and impressionable;
    I pretedned to need directions.
    She led me all over the campus
    All the while, I'm asking her questions.
    She agreed to a cup of coffee
    That's when I startd to lay it on heavy
    Once she learned I studied Dostoevsky, it was in the bag

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's bloody hot in t'office this afternoon.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So Sarah Connor Chronicles actually did an episode that has suddenly made me respect the writers a lot more and have a little faith that they're getting a grip on what they're doing.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So Sarah Connor Chronicles actually did an episode that has suddenly made me respect the writers a lot more and have a little faith that they're getting a grip on what they're doing.

So you're saying I should continue watching the show?
    Ok. I like True Blood, btw.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm so confused about True Blood. Then I've realized it's about vampires and pretty good so there's really no question whether I'll watch it or not. Also the whole ambivalence with people getting murdered creeps me the fuck out in a compelling way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, this flu is clearly a karmic kick in the balls for leaving my scholarship application till the day before it's due. On the other hand, my supervisor did take sympathy and pretty much write up most of the proposal herself and fuck you Codral box you aint gonna tell me how many these things I can suck down at once.

Hey Hap. What's new?

Low Key on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's just is: there is no reward. WAR offers you a fancy feather to stick on your head, most other games just chalk it down on your profile page and that's it. If a game is just going to spoil the creative things you can do they should at least offer some sort of reward that would lead to more entertainment.
    What's this about spoilers? Why are you even reading the achievements list if you hate them so much?

Also, achievements don't preclude exploration and creativity any more than any other objective/reward in the game. This is like complaining about Pac-Man showing the score table for the bonus fruit and/or complaining that when you go out of your way to eat the fruit they have the audacity to give you points for it.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Low Key wrote: »
    Man, this flu is clearly a karmic kick in the balls for leaving my scholarship application till the day before it's due. On the other hand, my supervisor did take sympathy and pretty much write up most of the proposal herself and fuck you Codral box you aint gonna tell me how many these things I can suck down at once.

Hey Hap. What's new?
    Genius and hailed "Future Einstein" dies of cold medication overdose day before receiving prestigious scholarship.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This is the thread of Aussie domination. Lord knows they’ve been restless since taking over the homeland.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MOT, Service and repairs are expensive. Even worse that there are a couple of problems I can't have sorted at the garage I went to. The whole point of going to Kwik Fit was that I knew it would be expensive but didn't want to deal with all the bullshit. I know nothing about cars, I just want something that will go and not get me killed. Blah.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Heya Lowkes!
    What's new? Old is new. And new is old. The world's practically turned upside down!
    You should feel right at home. ;)

Haphazard on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It's bloody hot in t'office this afternoon.

our main AC unit is damaged thanks to the hurricane. it kind of sucks.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    :\ Xbox Live seems to be really slow at the moment. I want my FIFA demo dammit.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Was the downtime just maintenance, or is the fall update out now? I haven't been keeping up.

Bama on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my 9AM class is taught by professor weinstein
    hence no 9AM class for me today

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    my 9AM class is taught by professor weinstein
    hence no 9AM class for me today
    anti-semite

Bama on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    God I want to be back in bed.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Was the downtime just maintenance, or is the fall update out now? I haven't been keeping up.

Well it hasn't asked me to update yet so I assume it was just maintenance.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hiya [chat]!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.