As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Banned Books Week. Go Read One To Spite Sarah.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interesting line from that Palin article...
    The Frontiersman, the local newspaper that ran a column by Bess for seven years, fired him and ran a vicious cartoon that suggested even drooling child molesters would be welcomed by Bess' church.

Well yeah, that's kind of the point. The church is just as much for killers, rapists and thieves as it is for the 'Fine, upstanding Christian citizen.' As soon as you filter who comes through those doors...you've completely lost sight of what Christianity is about.

Kill them all and let God sort them out.
    Too soon?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Interesting line from that Palin article...
    The Frontiersman, the local newspaper that ran a column by Bess for seven years, fired him and ran a vicious cartoon that suggested even drooling child molesters would be welcomed by Bess' church.

Well yeah, that's kind of the point. The church is just as much for killers, rapists and thieves as it is for the 'Fine, upstanding Christian citizen.' As soon as you filter who comes through those doors...you've completely lost sight of what Christianity is about.

Kill them all and let God sort them out.
    Too soon?

Fair is fair, my friend. Just as long as you take care of my annoying next door neighbors, the Andersons. Flaunting their brand new lawn mower just got them a ticket to BURN IN THE RAGING FIRES OF HELL

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • adamadam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I bet the banning of books has to do with there not being a rating classification for them. I remember reading about rape and shit in fantasy books when I was young, and if I saw the movie of it. It would be like x.

adam on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    We dont have a R-rating for video games here is Aus.

You can thank us for the watered down version of Fallout 3 soon to hit shelves in a store near you.

MrIamMe on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    adam wrote: »
    I bet the banning of books has to do with there not being a rating classification for them. I remember reading about rape and shit in fantasy books when I was young, and if I saw the movie of it. It would be like x.

Terry Goodkind sucks balls.

Also I'm fairly sure the reason you can't say n*gg*r on the forums is cause Gabe and Tycho don't want it showing up in search engine results.

Also the Australian Fallout 3 isn't that watered down, right? I thought they just changed some drug references.

Crimson King on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Penny Arcade forums don't show up in searches. Well posts anyway.

The reason you can't say that word is because of Gabe's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also the Australian Fallout 3 isn't that watered down, right? I thought they just changed some drug references.

Nope everyone is getting our version.

MrIamMe on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ....really? Whats your source on that? (This kind of fills me with a dark glee..... if I can't have it properly, NO ONE CAN!)

joshua1 on
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I might go and read Catcher In The Rye again. After I finish Christopher Hitchins' God Is Not Great.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

The reason you can't say that word is because of Gabe's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

No, the reason you can't say it is that at one point it was the number one google hit for n****** or something crazy like that.

Leitner on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    I read both Palin articles, there is no evidence in them that she intended to or attempted to ban any books. The first article acknowledges that there is no such evidence, the second just seems to indicate that some old guy "knew" she wanted his book banned even though there is no record of anything to that effect.

EDIT: Anyway, to the larger issue at hand, it seems that sexually explicit material available to children is the issue here. Should Playboy be in public schools too?

Your comparison is silly. The extent of the "sexual explicity" in The Chocolate War, for instance, is a reference to masturbation. That's it. And I think that summarizes the list very well: Conservatives wanting to pretend their children don't know anything about sex.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited September 2008
    As a note, some might this funny, as it relates (somewhat) to banning books.

My mom, an English teacher, wanted to take all of the students in the 6th grade Challenger program (a public school program for advanced lower-income students) who got a B or higher grade for the year to the movies as a treat. The teachers always do something like this to reward the students, and my mom thought a movie would be good because the new Harry Potter movie was out. So, she brought up the idea and one teacher flipped out, saying that Harry Potter promoted witchcraft and was unchristian. Well, this woman threw enough of a hissy-fit that my mom backed down. This same woman has tried to have Harry Potter as well as The Golden Compass, LoTR, and The Hobbit banned from the school library.

It's scary, but some of these book-banning wackos are much more on the inside than we might think.

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
  • SadClownFishSadClownFish Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Snopes agrees that the Palin book banning issue is false http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

Its a pathetic drum to beat.

SadClownFish on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think I might go and read Catcher In The Rye again. After I finish Christopher Hitchins' God Is Not Great.

I read Catcher in the Rye a few years ago with a couple of other 'Classics'. It was the biggest case of 'I dont get why people think this is good' moment of my life. I finished it out of spite in case I was missing something at the end. It is top of my Worst Books I've read list.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I read Catcher in the Rye a few years ago with a couple of other 'Classics'. It was the biggest case of 'I dont get why people think this is good' moment of my life. I finished it out of spite in case I was missing something at the end. It is top of my Worst Books I've read list.

Really? Well, diff strokes for diff folks. I love that book so much I actually have 2 old prints. One is a Book of The Month Club edition, first printing. It's not really worth anything (none of the Book Club books ever are), but it's more sentimental. I don't think the novel is anything all that shocking or mind-blowing, especially nowadays, but there's so many ways I identify with Holden and it was controversial when it was first published. I didn't even read it until I was 18, but when I did I realized how much my life had played out in similar roles. I don't know, I guess it just felt good to kind of know that who I was and how I felt wasn't some kind of anomaly, despite being told that I was.
    "Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them - if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry."

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."

"Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."
    Those are probably my 3 most favorite parts from that book. Yeah, I know, I'll shut up about Cather In The Rye. Interestingly, two other people obsessed with the book: Mark David Chapman and John Hinckly Jr. No, I have no desire to assassinate anyone. At least, I don't think so...

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    People want Perks of Being a Wallflower banned for homosexuality? Isn't the grand some of gayness in that book summed up as "Yeah, those two guys over there are gay,"?

Quid on
    edited September 2008
    Snopes agrees that the Palin book banning issue is false http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/bannedbooks.asp

Did you actually even read the snopes piece? Well, here's the extrapolated articles.
    Taylor Griffin, a spokesman for the McCain campaign, said Thursday that Palin asked the head librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, on three occasions how she would react to attempts at banning books. He said the questions, in the fall of 1996, were hypothetical and entirely appropriate. He said a patron had asked the library to remove a title the year before and the mayor wanted to understand how such disputes were handled.

Records on the city's Web site, however, do not show any books were challenged in Wasilla in the 10 years before Palin took office.

Palin notified Emmons she would be fired in January 1997 because the mayor didn't feel she had the librarian's "full support." Emmons was reinstated the next day after public outcry, according to newspaper reports at the time.

Still, one longtime library staffer recalls that the run-in made everyone fear for their jobs.

"Mayor Palin gave us some terrible moments and some rather gut-wrenching moments, particularly when Mary Ellen said she was going to have to leave," said Cathy Petrie, who managed the children's collection at the time.

Recent outrage has been fueled by Wasilla housewife Anne Kilkenny, whose 2,400-word critique of Palin's legacy as mayor is widely posted on the Internet. Kilkenny described Palin's actions as "out-and-out censorship."

But the McCain campaign, in a statement, said the charge "is categorically false ... Governor Sarah Palin has never asked anyone to ban a book, period."
    - source

Semantics. How do you go about robbing a bank? I don't want to, mind you, I just want to know how. She didn't actually ban any books and the issue was never put forth to actually ban any books, but to go to a librarian and ask how one would go about banning books is bad enough. The fact that someone would even entertain the idea is deplorable. And to ask about it three separate times? Was the first time the librarian said "no" not clear enough?
    Back in 1996, when she first became mayor, Sarah Palin asked the city librarian if she would be all right with censoring library books should she be asked to do so.

According to news coverage at the time, the librarian said she would definitely not be all right with it. A few months later, the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, got a letter from Palin telling her she was going to be fired. The censorship issue was not mentioned as a reason for the firing. The letter just said the new mayor felt Emmons didn't fully support her and had to go.

Emmons had been city librarian for seven years and was well liked. After a wave of public support for her, Palin relented and let Emmons keep her job.
    - source

So, to top it all off, after asking three separate times about banning books, just to really, really, really make sure the librarian was against it, Palin had her fired for some vague reason of "not being supportive." (aka: not towing the line) The firing was only rescinded because of vocal support, not because Palin had a real change of heart. Read between the lines, if Palin could have fired that woman and put in a stooge as head librarian, she would have. And then she would have actually tried to ban some books.

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Did you actually even read the snopes piece? Well, here's the extrapolated articles.

Taylor Griffin, a spokesman for the McCain campaign, said Thursday that Palin asked the head librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, on three occasions how she would react to attempts at banning books. He said the questions, in the fall of 1996, were hypothetical and entirely appropriate. He said a patron had asked the library to remove a title the year before and the mayor wanted to understand how such disputes were handled.

Records on the city's Web site, however, do not show any books were challenged in Wasilla in the 10 years before Palin took office.

Palin notified Emmons she would be fired in January 1997 because the mayor didn't feel she had the librarian's "full support." Emmons was reinstated the next day after public outcry, according to newspaper reports at the time.

Still, one longtime library staffer recalls that the run-in made everyone fear for their jobs.

"Mayor Palin gave us some terrible moments and some rather gut-wrenching moments, particularly when Mary Ellen said she was going to have to leave," said Cathy Petrie, who managed the children's collection at the time.

Recent outrage has been fueled by Wasilla housewife Anne Kilkenny, whose 2,400-word critique of Palin's legacy as mayor is widely posted on the Internet. Kilkenny described Palin's actions as "out-and-out censorship."

But the McCain campaign, in a statement, said the charge "is categorically false ... Governor Sarah Palin has never asked anyone to ban a book, period."
    - source

Semantics. How do you go about robbing a bank? I don't want to, mind you, I just want to know how. She didn't actually ban any books and the issue was never put forth to actually ban any books, but to go to a librarian and ask how one would go about banning books is bad enough. The fact that someone would even entertain the idea is deplorable. And to ask about it three separate times? Was the first time the librarian said "no" not clear enough?

Back in 1996, when she first became mayor, Sarah Palin asked the city librarian if she would be all right with censoring library books should she be asked to do so.

According to news coverage at the time, the librarian said she would definitely not be all right with it. A few months later, the librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons, got a letter from Palin telling her she was going to be fired. The censorship issue was not mentioned as a reason for the firing. The letter just said the new mayor felt Emmons didn't fully support her and had to go.

Emmons had been city librarian for seven years and was well liked. After a wave of public support for her, Palin relented and let Emmons keep her job.
    - source

So, to top it all off, after asking three separate times about banning books, just to really, really, really make sure the librarian was against it, Palin had her fired for some vague reason of "not being supportive." (aka: not towing the line) The firing was only rescinded because of vocal support, not because Palin had a real change of heart. Read between the lines, if Palin could have fired that woman and put in a stooge as head librarian, she would have. And then she would have actually tried to ban some books.

Yeah, I pretty much read it that she was 'testing the waters' for banning/censoring books, and the public support for the librarian kept her from putting a crony in the position.

We read 'The Great Gatsby' in High School. I didn't really find anything offensive.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »

Really? Well, diff strokes for diff folks. I love that book so much I actually have 2 old prints. One is a Book of The Month Club edition, first printing. It's not really worth anything (none of the Book Club books ever are), but it's more sentimental. I don't think the novel is anything all that shocking or mind-blowing, especially nowadays, but there's so many ways I identify with Holden and it was controversial when it was first published. I didn't even read it until I was 18, but when I did I realized how much my life had played out in similar roles. I don't know, I guess it just felt good to kind of know that who I was and how I felt wasn't some kind of anomaly, despite being told that I was.
    "Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them - if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry."

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean - except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be."

"Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."

I think that pretty much sums up why I liked it as well. When I was forced to read it in high school, I didn't really like it much. Thought I do remember stopping exactly on the line about some girl having huge knockers. When I went back and read it again in college at my own time, I loved it. Holden just felt a little bit more normal to me than most other characters. Maybe being a tech guy meant I was a little off-kilter from the rest of society, and Catcher kinda told you that it was okay to be that way.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I still love the fact that people try to ban Farenheit 451.

CJTheran on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    A banned book that is worth reading is Johnny Got his Gun. Great book, but Trumbo was a complete tool.

Sheep on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    People want Perks of Being a Wallflower banned for homosexuality? Isn't the grand some of gayness in that book summed up as "Yeah, those two guys over there are gay,"?

But that makes gayness seem okay and if we do that then children might just start sucking weiner all over the place. If I know one thing, it is that making things seem okay makes people do them.

For example, Broccolli is pretty okay. Now, don't you just want to run out and get a big heaping bowl of Broccolli?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think that pretty much sums up why I liked it as well. When I was forced to read it in high school, I didn't really like it much. Thought I do remember stopping exactly on the line about some girl having huge knockers. When I went back and read it again in college at my own time, I loved it.

I had a similar experience with another banned book, As I Lay Dying. When it was assigned in highschool, I just couldn't read it. It was like it was written in a foreign language or something. Then when I went back to it years later, it was amazing.

juice for jesus on
    edited September 2008
    CJTheran wrote: »
    :lol: True. I wonder if they ever get the irony? I think most book banning people just jump on the wagon without actually reading the book in question. It's kind of like the Mojave Experiment that Microsoft does with Vista.

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    We read 'The Great Gatsby' in High School. I didn't really find anything offensive.

Same here. I also read A Handmaid's Tale, The Miller's Tale, The Taming of the Shrew and The Duchess of Malfi in those two years, and our teacher rammed the sexuality of those pieces down our throats, as they're important themes. When I was younger, we had to do a book project and exam on The Lord of the Flies. Despite all of this, the rest of my class and I survived.

Is Shakespeare ever treated in this way? I'm kind of surprised there isn't the reaction to some of his stuff as was shown in whichever Porky's movie it was when A Midsummer Night's Dream was challenged. Is it just because nobody can tell what the hell is going on?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    I read both Palin articles, there is no evidence in them that she intended to or attempted to ban any books.

True, there's no evidence. Only a history of various people claiming she wanted to. How many people have to come out and say so before you have to aknowledge it's likely.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited September 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

But that makes gayness seem okay and if we do that then children might just start sucking weiner all over the place. If I know one thing, it is that making things seem okay makes people do them.

For example, Broccolli is pretty okay. Now, don't you just want to run out and get a big heaping bowl of Broccolli?
    God forbid we be tolerant! I remember, when I was younger, being with my boyfriend outside of the movie theater; we were having a smoke and exchanged a quick kiss. Then, two little girls walk up to us and say, point-blank without missing a beat, "your going to hell. My mom says fags burn in hell." We tried to smile and ignore it, they were only like 10 and 12, at most. But they kept following us, saying that we were disgusting, unfit for this Earth, etc. If that's the type of ideology people hope to spread by banning such books, I'm glad our society demonizes such banning.

And I actually like broccoli, especially with some fine sharp cheddar. (YUM!)

It blows my mind that people would try and ban Flowers For Algernon. That was such a powerful and poignant book. (it was a short story, but got expanded to a short novel cos it was so popular) I honestly think that was the first time a piece of media actually made me cry. To ban a book like that with sucha powerful message is just mind-boggling to me.

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

The book was just about how television is teh evul.

Couscous on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

The book was just about how television is teh evul.

ehhh

no

Local H Jay on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It blows my mind that people would try and ban Flowers For Algernon. That was such a powerful and poignant book. (it was a short story, but got expanded to a short novel cos it was so popular) I honestly think that was the first time a piece of media actually made me cry. To ban a book like that with sucha powerful message is just mind-boggling to me.
    Yea, we had to read that book in middle school and I remember trying like hell not to cry a bunch in class.

Bama on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Yes they do. There are sites that crawl these boards. If I google my username I get pages of posts that I've made here.

Medopine on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Yea, we had to read that book in middle school and I remember trying like hell not to cry a bunch in class.

Did you succeed?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Inasmuch as nobody else seemed to notice. I was unable to actually see words on the page at one point.

Bama on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thanatos on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I found The Great Gatsby offensive.

It's fucking terrible.

I think Scary Stories tends to be up there because of the rather gruesome illustrations. Probably the least offensive reason for banning a book, but still.

MrMonroe on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why the fuck is "Where's Waldo" on that list?

SkutSkut on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »

He forgot to drow a bra on a woman.

Couscous on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Apparently one of them had sideboob

True story

Elendil on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh no, mammary glands! The world is doomed!

SkutSkut on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So that's why America spontaneously combusted.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787