As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Word Trouble

AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
At my job I have to transfer reports on asbestos from paper to a Word document. It also involves copying and pasting up to 2-3 JPEGs into the word file and saving it.

This in itself isn't a problem, but when I do try and insert even one picture (on its own, roughly sized 50 KB) and then save the Word document, it jumps up from about 600 KB in size to 6 MB.

Is there any way to overcome this problem? The sudden inflation in size is baffling me.

Amaranth on

• Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I've just tried this out with a picture in a blank word document. Picture size is 92Kb, document with picture embedded is 112Kb, which seems reasonable.

That was a RGB 72dpi PNG screen grab that I inserted. Trying it with the same image but saved as a Jpeg (along with colour management profiles just because they can add additional bloat to file sizes) I end up with a 216Kb Jpeg but when embedded in the word document the saved doc file only comes in at 118Kb.

I've also tried it with a print quality Jpeg (300dpi, still RGB as Word doesn't appear to accept CMYK files) that weighs 1,000Kb by itself and creates a 998Kb word document when embedded.

So in conclusion, I don't know what the heck you're doing wrong.

That's not very helpful, but there it is.

What program are you using to process/create the Jpegs and which version of Word are you using (and on which platform)?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you converting to PDF in the process of saving? That might be a factor.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Some more information would probably be helpful I can imagine.

The entire process is basically

I scan the image, it comes onto my screen on PaperPort, I save it as a JPEG, open up word 97-2003, use insert picture -> from file, save it and boom, the document goes from 600 KB to 6 MB. It's pretty unreal.

Also I'm using windows XP.

Amaranth on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You might be scanning at some unholy resolution, making your image huge and therefore your document. Open your image in a viewer and see how big it is.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I neglected to mention something actually -

When I scan them with PaperPort they do indeed get scanned in at some ungodly dimensions (winding up at a few MB) so I tend to Prnt Screen and paste it into Paint, trim down to what I need then save as a JPEG and insert that.

Amaranth on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Might be that Paint does something stupid with Jpegs.

Do you have access to Photoshop? Or anything other than paint?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Unfortunately not, though I can try and speak to the IT department and see about getting set up with Photoshop.
    I work for a city council and am a contract (3 months) worker though so I doubt it.

Amaranth on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I do a great deal of MS Word work for creating manuals. I use loads of screen-shots.

When you "Save As" - in the tools dropdown menu - there's a "Compress Images" option.

Try that. I used it very successfully with a friends PPT presentation recently.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I do a great deal of MS Word work for creating manuals. I use loads of screen-shots.

When you "Save As" - in the tools dropdown menu - there's a "Compress Images" option.

Try that. I used it very successfully with a friends PPT presentation recently.

Gave it a shot as it sounded very viable but, blast it all, the file is still 6.43 MB. :|

Amaranth on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I also got a problem with MS Office:

Recently my external hard drive died, which had MS Office on it. How do I now uninstall it so I can reinstall it unto another hard drive?

rchou on