As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows wouldn't boot before, what caused it?

exisexis Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, this is hardly urgent. But it's partly from curiosity and partly from fear of causing it to happen again. My new computer arrived today. After a few hiccups Windows was installed, I went about installing all the stuff I use often, games etc. The last few things I installed were, in this order:
Warhammer Online
DirectX 9
Steam (+ Team Fortress 2, Portal)
Replaced uxtheme.dll with the VS hack
Half-Life 2, CS: Source
iTunes

after which I downloaded the TF2 updates while browsing the net and sorting out my music. Once TF2 was updated it asked for me to defrag before I played. I did, then started the game. Which was when things got weird. While loading the main screen I tabbed out (not really a good idea usually but I figured it wouldn't cause me a minute of hanging like my old PC would). When I tried to tab back in, I hit a black screen. I sat there for a few minutes, hoping to wait it out. Nope. Ctrl+Alt+Del wouldn't net me anything. After a few more minutes, I figured I didn't have much choice and hard reset the PC.

Next boot, and every boot after that, I'd get through the Windows startup screen, then I'd be looking at a blank screen for maybe 10 seconds before my computer would reboot itself. I fixed it by booting Windows in safe mode and restoring to just after I'd installed DirectX. Things appear to be okay now (but I've done nothing at this point except opened Chrome).

Any idea what the hell could have caused that? I'm 99% sure it couldn't have been Half-Life/iTunes... I've been using them forever, yet I'm a little paranoid about reinstalling either right now. All I really know is that everything was running super-smooth up until that point, except for maybe when iTunes was converting files. My CPU core temps had been hovering between 31-35C.

I'm using:
Asus P5Q Pro
Sapphire HD4850 Dual Slot
E8400
2x2GB PC-6400 Corsair RAM

Any ideas would be appreciated.

exis on

• Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Make sure Quick Boot isn't on in the BIOS.
    The black screen could have been an error that the quickboot was covering.
    Were there any beep codes that you can recall?

I'm sure it was a piece of software that was the culprit, I'd just go about business and see if it happens again.
    Maybe re-install everything you had before it did this, but reboot after each new item is installed.

Kind of tedious, but a sure fire way to see if it was a specific app.

rfalias on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    rfalias wrote: »
    Make sure Quick Boot isn't on in the BIOS.
    The black screen could have been an error that the quickboot was covering.
    Were there any beep codes that you can recall?

I'm sure it was a piece of software that was the culprit, I'd just go about business and see if it happens again.
    Maybe re-install everything you had before it did this, but reboot after each new item is installed.

Kind of tedious, but a sure fire way to see if it was a specific app.

Quick Boot isn't on and there were no error beeps. But yeah I was a little bit lazy about rebooting after installing each piece of software (I don't usually, but I probably should have after stuff like iTunes/Steam etc). I really hope that's it. Googling before people were flinging around suggestions ranging from mobo issue to bad sticks of RAM D:.

exis on